the AMC position........ can never get a consistant performance

I had basically given up on the AMC position and no matter who i used here they were very, very poor/inconsistant. i.e five games scoring 6.4 then they have stormer and get an 8.8 then another run of poor games.

My current tactic is crying out for an AMC, does anyone have any tips on getting perfomances from this position i.e is on of the player roles more effective than another??

Cheers dudes

What's your formation and who are you using in the AMC position?

In general terms the key things to getting him an AMC to perform are him having lots of the ball, lots of space and players in front of him who make threatening runs behind the defence. Since your AMC is usually one of your most creative players, you want him to have the time and space to pick out deadly passes and then execute them with his superior accuracy.

In terms of actual roles there aren't "better" ones as such, but rather roles that fit one player better than another due to their slightly different playing tendencies, so it would be good to know what kind of player you're working with.

I had basically given up on the AMC position and no matter who i used here they were very, very poor/inconsistant. i.e five games scoring 6.4 then they have stormer and get an 8.8 then another run of poor games.

My current tactic is crying out for an AMC, does anyone have any tips on getting perfomances from this position i.e is on of the player roles more effective than another??

Cheers dudes

Watch the game where they performed well. Work out why.

Watch the games where they didn't. Work out why.

I'd be willing to bet it's to do with the opposition's formation.

Perhaps the opposition sometimes plays a DM? This could have an effect on your AMC's performance.

Another thing to look out for is shooting from distance - a few shots off target will knock his match rating down quite a bit.

Disregarding rating, are you happy with the performance?

Often times my AMC will play brilliantly, getting into space and pulling defenders out of shape which creates loads of space for my striker/s, he won't get any rating boost for this but when my striker scores a hat-trick because his marker is too busy watching the movement of my AMC you know that he's played well, even when he gets a <7.0

Perhaps the opposition sometimes plays a DM? This could have an effect on your AMC's performance.

Another thing to look out for is shooting from distance - a few shots off target will knock his match rating down quite a bit.

Agree with this, if anything is going to give a AMC a bad performance it is a DM who is tightly marking him. AMC's work better with space, so if theres a strong DM on top of him all game he is not going to perform as well.

Disregarding rating, are you happy with the performance?

Often times my AMC will play brilliantly, getting into space and pulling defenders out of shape which creates loads of space for my striker/s, he won't get any rating boost for this but when my striker scores a hat-trick because his marker is too busy watching the movement of my AMC you know that he's played well, even when he gets a <7.0

Completely agree with this, I rarely ever pay any attention to match ratings they can be affected by to many variables that shouldnt be considered in a performance. The AMC might be playing the killer through ball that the winger then crosses for the striker to tap in simply. The AMC will receive no credit for that whatsoever, apart from the completed pass. If I feel a player is playing badly thats when I change things not what the rating tells me

EDIT: that said a player with anything less than a 6.5 usually gets a rocket at half time.

Maybe things have changed since I last tried an AMC, adjusted tactic to include one, using attacking midfielder/attack role - My man has just scored 3 goals with 4 assists in last 2 games... sweet. It should be noted that neither opponent was playing a DMC.

Maybe things have changed since I last tried an AMC, adjusted tactic to include one, using attacking midfielder/attack role - My man has just scored 3 goals with 4 assists in last 2 games... sweet. It should be noted that neither opponent was playing a DMC.

As ham pointed out above, try and work out why he was so successful in these 2 games and see if there is anything you could take with you when the opposition do use a DM.

There are many reasons for not being conistent.

1. Concistensy attrbute (hidden)

2. Important Matches attribute (hidden)

3. Bravery (helps when he is man marked)

4. Other Mental attributes that affect his performance (Aggression, Decisions, Composure, Determination)

5. Your tactic against opponents tactic.

Attacking Midfielder in Attack will be more likely to get in the box and support the CF thus vacating the space the oppositions DM plays in this could be why he played better in this game, as opposed to say a AP(S) whom may get marked out the game as he would have more of a tendency to want to play in the hole.

As usual, it all depends. The thing with the AMC is that the way he plays must be tied to the way the whole team plays, otherwise you're stuck with a redundant player that has no space and offers no benefits offensively or defensively. For me AMC's can be awesome, even if I use them sparingly. For example, Modric just single-handedly gained me the prem in my first Tottenham season by scoring five and assisting seven in three games, and still I'm playing him as a central midfielder in a 4-3-3 most of the time. Here are some pointers, ideas I tend to use to get the best out of my AMC.

- One thing is to make sure your player is in the correct role. For example: in my Tottenham save I have Modric, who is a great playmaker except for his off the ball movement, flair and finishing. So he sucks at running into the box and scoring goals, instead I use him as an advanced playmaker (support or attack), so he can use his vision with the ball at his feet and look to play others in. Of course this also requires players making runs into the box, so pairing him with a Trequartista upfront and wide wingers will render him useless. If there's no runners he'll simply be playing in front of the opposition defence instead of through them.

- The opposite is also true: if you have a good goalscoring, attacking midfielder (think Kagawa, Kaká), you need to give him space. Get a striker to pull wide or deep, use movement to draw defenders out of position and create space for him to run into along with players that can play him in when he surges forward. Playing a poacher with such an AMC will deny him space to work in.

- Obviously the opposition plays a large part in this, as the space between defence and midfield is the danger zone this is one they'll tend to quard closely. A good DM (or two) can completely ruin your AMC's day by marking them out of the game. Have a backup plan, personally I never use an AMC if there's defensive midfielders around, although the Kaká/Kagawa type of player can still work as they're running past the DM zone.

When the opposition plays a DM that is tight marking your AM have you thought about playing your next best cm in am and playing your am at cm to break the lines and attack into the cm position whilst the am sits and comes deep/wide dragging the opposition DM out of position

In my opinion for an AMC to be effective he needs 2 things the first one is space the AMC's space can obviously be taken by the opposition deploying a DMC. But your team can also rob the AMC of space, deep lying forwards, Inside forwards, Target man support, Complete forward support and centre midfielders that get forward can all invade the AMC's precious space.

Secondly the AMC also needs passing options. So basically wingers, deeper lying midfielders, and strikers that stay forward or move into the channels will give your AMC these options and will also stay outside of the AMC space. It helps if you can mix the right sorts of attributes as well obviously pacey players that offer intelligent movement will be better than slower target man types. Space and movement.

In my opinion for an AMC to be effective he needs 2 things the first one is space the AMC's space can obviously be taken by the opposition deploying a DMC. But your team can also rob the AMC of space, deep lying forwards, Inside forwards, Target man support, Complete forward support and centre midfielders that get forward can all invade the AMC's precious space.

Secondly the AMC also needs passing options. So basically wingers, deeper lying midfielders, and strikers that stay forward or move into the channels will give your AMC these options and will also stay outside of the AMC space. It helps if you can mix the right sorts of attributes as well obviously pacey players that offer intelligent movement will be better than slower target man types. Space and movement.

I agree with this however this doesn't mean that you can't have 1 or 2 players that enter the AMCs zone as long as the role that the AMC plays takes that into account. For example:

AMR winger attack

AMC att. mid attack

AML inside forward support

ST deep lying forward support

This could work with the correct players since the AML and ST both dip into the AMC space while the AMC attacks the box (the space left by the AML/ST). However:

AMR inside forward attack

AMC advanced playmaker support

AML inside forward attack

ST complete forward support

This would not be ideal for the AMC since all three players are utilising the AMC's space meaning the AMC will have to come deeper to find space and will probably struggle to make an impact. If the striker had an attack duty then the problem would be reduced but the AMC might struggle if not good enough to find space regularly and pick passes quickly with a couple of touches.

for the AMC role what the best set up if in in this situation A FC: Poacher, AML IF, AMR IF AMC ?? or B FC: Poacher, AML IF, AMR Winger, AMC?

I'd say Advanced Playmaker - Support would be best in both cases to avoid the AMC getting into similar positions as the poacher and inside forwards. With the AP(S) role he'll stay in the hole while the other players make runs in front of him, allowing him to thread passes to them.

I use ApM-Supp in basically the same setup as A, works fine and tries to put the AM as more a member of the midfield than the attack. B could probably handle the AMC pushing up into a 2nd striker role if you wanted (basically just using an Attack duty would probably do this)

My tactic for when there's a DM is to double up and stick two CAM's there, (Pushing my DM forward, I play 4-2-3-1 usually). One Oppo DM won't be able to hold two AM's so generally I end up taking out the DM and there's still one AM in that area, albeit a shortened danger area.

I find that if I want to play through my AMC then I ask the team to 'play wider' as a touchline shout if it doesn't look like he has the space to receive the ball, and then spot a through-ball onto a poacher.

I have also found success playing against DMCs with an AMC, I shift his position left or right on the tactics board (which ever side has the weaker winger or pacey striker), and again give him more space by playing a wider game and focusing the play down that side...but this is only really attempted against the weaker teams.

Agreed on recognising what type of AMC you have; Riquelme-type or Kaka-esque making sure each has the space they need around or in front of them in which to operate.

I always find the key to getting the AMC position to work consistently is to have a player with a very high teamwork stat. Every time I have got that position to work effectively, it has been because the player has excelled in this area.

Such is the nature of the position, because the AMC is wedged right between the opposition Midfield and Defence usually, the game can often pass him by, and if you dont have a player who is willing to get involved in the teams build up play then you will often get inconsistent performances from him depending on the opposition formation.

It depends how important he is to your teams functions. If he is your star player it is worthwhile to make him a treq. I almost always play with a treq, either in AM or as a striker. To offset the zero closing down you should set closing down often on the 2 CB's in the opposition instruction screen. You can also set closing down always on the oppositions DM or deep lying midfielder if you feel he is getting too much space and is a good passer. Usually I leave free role on and change move into channels to normal. I prefer my treq to stay more central to always be a passing options.

The best thing about the trequartista is that he is invariably unmarked when your team wins the ball outside of their box. They will get the ball to him and if he is a good player he will make the intelligent passes to really kickstart a counter attack. Also with his lack of forward runs he drifts around looking for the ball and will play the killer ball if the opportunity presents itself. I feel the treq can be annoying on attacking strategy as his mentality is too attacking and will constantly make forward runs leaving the hole and that passing option. On control, standard and counter he will be ace as his mentality will be much lower but still be high relative to the rest of the team and so he will get into the box for crosses but will not make forward runs if the ball is central or in the channels. It takes a bit of work to get the treq role working but when you do it is awesome. Gotta build the team around him though. I am making more of a Gotze role than a Ozil in mine. I play 4231 but have my wingers/IF to mark the oppositions fullbacks so they track back and have my AM as a treq so he is always in space up the pitch with a strong and fast striker.

I always find the key to getting the AMC position to work consistently is to have a player with a very high teamwork stat. Every time I have got that position to work effectively, it has been because the player has excelled in this area.

Such is the nature of the position, because the AMC is wedged right between the opposition Midfield and Defence usually, the game can often pass him by, and if you dont have a player who is willing to get involved in the teams build up play then you will often get inconsistent performances from him depending on the opposition formation.

It can depend. If you have a really technical AMC with good dribbling and finishing stats he can be really good also even if he is selfish. Like Arshavin always scores goals when I play him as AMC and will get a lot of assists as well just because he is such a good dribbler in the game and pulls players towards him.

i get ard it by playing with 2 AMCs... one in support.. better dribbler and passer and one in attack (finisher)

i'm playing with Everton and obviously the AMC attack is Tim Cahil. I signed Willian as AMC support and he dribbles through defences with ease... i use a Target Man attack to bulldoze the defence into submission.. and clear the way for the 2 AMCs to play through...

i feed the AMCs with 2 DLP at DMC position... Fellanni the star of the show... i also use 2 defensive wingers to provide width.. baines and coleman are great...

defence is with 3 DCs.... good defensive foundation....

In my 4231 I use my AMC as a AP (Support). What I do though when the opposition are using a DM is tick the roaming box so my AMC has a free role and drifts away from the centre at times and that attracts the DMC's attention. What this does is it leaves the centre free which my Poacher and Inside Forward (Attack) can exploit. If the opposition aren't using a DMC then I untick the roaming box on my AMC so the he stays in the hole and exploits that space.

As much as I hate to blow my own trumpet (no really), I wrote a post about using the AMC to exploit space on my blog here.

I would definitely echo what others have said above, though, i.e. it depends. There are too many variables in your own formation, the player available and the opposition simply to say "advanced playmaker - support" is "the best" as mooted above.

The first thing to consider is what you want the AMC to be doing. Do you want him breaking into the box late to get on the end of crosses or do you want him sitting in the pocket dictating play a la Riquelme? If the former, are you providing him with service? If the latter, are you providing him with the space and passing options he needs? Are you asking him to do something which doesn't suit his attributes? i.e. are you asking him to dribble at the defence but he's got a poor dribbling, balance or technique attribute? Lots to consider.

As much as I hate to blow my own trumpet (no really), I wrote a post about using the AMC to exploit space on my blog here.

I would definitely echo what others have said above, though, i.e. it depends. There are too many variables in your own formation, the player available and the opposition simply to say "advanced playmaker - support" is "the best" as mooted above.

The first thing to consider is what you want the AMC to be doing. Do you want him breaking into the box late to get on the end of crosses or do you want him sitting in the pocket dictating play a la Riquelme? If the former, are you providing him with service? If the latter, are you providing him with the space and passing options he needs? Are you asking him to do something which doesn't suit his attributes? i.e. are you asking him to dribble at the defence but he's got a poor dribbling, balance or technique attribute? Lots to consider.

Just read this article and want to say that it is one of the best articles I have read about using the space in the hole, thanks dude :)

Also, love that Riquelme video! What a player.

Archived