If Usain Bolt was on FM...

Bolt has said that he'd like to play for Manchester United. Obviously he'd have to have 20 pace and acceleration. How much slower would we have to make everyone else to show how fast Bolt is? I feel like the next fastest player would have to have only 17 or 18 pace.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its hard to say if he is the quickest person in the world of sport, yes he is the quickest runner over 100 and 200 meters when competing against other sprinters, but you never know. I would have said Walcott was quicker off the mark a few seasons back, but its impossible to say really.

He wouldn't be able to run at 9.5 second over 100M pace in an actual game, if he did he'd be knackered within the first 10 minutes, imo he wouldn't be significantly faster than most pacey players in the game as he's not used to running that speed - A with the ball or B numerous times over the course of 90 minutes.

He wouldn't be able to run at 9.5 second over 100M pace in an actual game, if he did he'd be knackered within the first 10 minutes, imo he wouldn't be significantly faster than most pacey players in the game as he's not used to running that speed - A with the ball or B numerous times over the course of 90 minutes.

He may have lower stamina than other top footballers, but I don't think you can argue that he doesn't have by far the best pace and top acceleration.

He may have lower stamina than other top footballers, but I don't think you can argue that he doesn't have by far the best pace and top acceleration.

He doesn't have top acceleration, have you even watched Bolt run? If you had, you'd realise he isn't a fast starter (acceleration)

Again its impossible to say. There are very few, if any occasions during a game a player will sprint 100 meters without any interruption be it the ball or another player so there is no way you could ever say for certain.

Similar was debated on NFL fan sites in regards to whether Chris Johnson would be faster than Usain Bolt over 40m (As in the NFL 40m from the Combine), his time is 4:45 (I believe), now this sprint is a lot more likely in sport than 100m, though generally a sprint in Football or other sports is a lot more likely to be even shorter than that.

For Bolt he starts slow, not quick out of the blocks, though I believe this is acceleration off the mark, I think his acceleration while already moving is probably better than most. Now if Pace in the game is related to distances more likely to be run by the players in game it is likely that some footballers would be faster than Bolt over say 10-20m, Bolt generally takes a while to hit the front.

It is always hard to judge, he would have to actually be in the game and show some football pace as opposed to 100m/200m pace.

Similar was debated on NFL fan sites in regards to whether Chris Johnson would be faster than Usain Bolt over 40m (As in the NFL 40m from the Combine), his time is 4:45 (I believe), now this sprint is a lot more likely in sport than 100m, though generally a sprint in Football or other sports is a lot more likely to be even shorter than that.

Does that include reaction time?

Theo "Faster than Bolt" Walcott has been clocked at 4.72, probably hand-timed (so you can safely add 0.2 to that). That would definitely warrant Bolt 20 in acceleration.

For Bolt he starts slow, not quick out of the blocks, though I believe this is acceleration off the mark, I think his acceleration while already moving is probably better than most. Now if Pace in the game is related to distances more likely to be run by the players in game it is likely that some footballers would be faster than Bolt over say 10-20m, Bolt generally takes a while to hit the front.

It is always hard to judge, he would have to actually be in the game and show some football pace as opposed to 100m/200m pace.

When Bolt ran the WR of 9.58 his 40m time was 4.64 according to the stats people have quoted on other sites.

This is the worst post I've read for a while.

Kudos.

Which part of it? About his stamina or about his arrogance? The first thing is a fact, the second is just an opinion. Sprinters are all about power and explosiveness. I was the fastest boy in school when I was younger. Never trained to be. There are some pepole who simply don't know how to run fast, while to others it comes naturally. But srpinting isn't a discipline that requires technique. For me, sprinters are too straightforward. Other sports build much better athlethes.

Crisitano Ronaldo is an accomplished athelthe - speed, acceleration, power, bone and muscle durability, stamina, natural instinct, tecnique and intelligence. He even jumps high. I don't think there's a footballer out there who can even come close to his level of athlethism.

Bolt the best athlethe in recent history, a legend? Sprinters aren't even the best athelthes. Everyone should go watch some gymnastics and see what a true athlethe is all about.

Which part of it? About his stamina or about his arrogance? The first thing is a fact, the second is just an opinion. Sprinters are all about power and explosiveness. I was the fastest boy in school when I was younger. Never trained to be. There are some pepole who simply don't know how to run fast, while to others it comes naturally. But srpinting isn't a discipline that requires technique. For me, sprinters are too straightforward. Other sports build much better athlethes.

Crisitano Ronaldo is an accomplished athelthe - speed, acceleration, power, bone and muscle durability, stamina, natural instinct, tecnique and intelligence. He even jumps high. I don't think there's a footballer out there who can even come close to his level of athlethism.

Bolt the best athlethe in recent history, a legend? Sprinters aren't even the best athelthes. Everyone should go watch some gymnastics and see what a true athlethe is all about.

First off, there's a lot of technique to sprinting, especially with the 200m. It's not just about launching yourself out of the blocks and running fast.

Secondly, I don't understand how you can call Bolt "arrogant", when he's actually a nice guy and just very cheeky, and then go on to praise Cristiano Ronaldo - probably the most arrogant person in the world. Ever.

First off, there's a lot of technique to sprinting, especially with the 200m. It's not just about launching yourself out of the blocks and running fast.

Secondly, I don't understand how you can call Bolt "arrogant", when he's actually a nice guy and just very cheeky, and then go on to praise Cristiano Ronaldo - probably the most arrogant person in the world. Ever.

The amount of tecnique in sprinting is incomparable to the technique required in most Olympic disciplines like gymnastics, swimming, diving, rhythmic gymnastics; and to add some winter olympics sports: skiing, figure skating. All these sports require immense balance and coordination, strength, change of tempo, elasticity and even stamina. All these sports require a person to learn to do things he doesn't naturally do. You can't throw a man into the swimming pool and expect him to swim straight away, you can't expect him to dive or to ski. But you can put him on the track and tell him ro run and he wil run.

I haven't seen Bolt many times but when I did - in the newspapers or on some website, he rarely talked about his discipline, always commenting on something he isn't competent to talk about, e.g. football.

I aggree though that I might have built an improper opinion about Bolt's character and will reconsider it in the future. It was never my intention to play down an athelthe's hard work, but my opinion on sprinters in general remains the same.

And about my Cr. Ronaldo comparison - I used him as an example of an accomplished athelthe, not a person.

you seem to be suggesting that Bolt hasn't worked hard for most of his life to get to where he is right now.... which is utter tosh....

he's cheeky for sure, and eats his mcnuggets etc sure.. but he trains every day...

Every sport has a big element of natural ability and of course bolt is no different, but its the combination of natural ability and the sheer work he puts in ... to work on his technique.. to work on his physique, to work on each component of a race..

Sprinting is highly technical

Hasn't Bolt admitted that he doesn't train too hard and that he won't do 400m due to the training being too tough?

I think he would have 20 for acceleration and pace if in FM but the rest of his attributes would be awful like they should be, I consider the idea of him being a footballer to be a complete joke.

Hasn't Bolt admitted that he doesn't train too hard and that he won't do 400m due to the training being too tough?

Pretty sure he said something about that in an interview, something like he didn't fancy the hard work involved in training for it.

He doesn't have top acceleration, have you even watched Bolt run? If you had, you'd realise he isn't a fast starter (acceleration)

That's him being slow put of the blocks, which is mostly because he's taller than his opponents. A big body takes longer to get from crouching to standing. Once he's upright he accelerates as fast as anyone. In FM terms it would probably be better modelled by agility, not acceleration.

It still makes you wonder whether he could be even better if the rumours about his attitude are true. A bit like Ronnie O'Sullivan.

possibly.. but i'm sure everyone is aware that some of the most talented people in any field you can find are usually eccentric is some way... it all goes hand in hand

theexar, just because running is something anyone can do doesn't mean Bolt isn't as good an athlete as a gymnast, for example. Actually, the fact that he can do something that everyone can do BETTER than everyone else who does it is even more impressive than an athlete who trains in activities that humans wouldn't necessarily do in everyday life. Maybe Bolt is arrogant, maybe not. But he's certainly one of the best athletes alive on the planet, and he obviously would warrant a 20 Acc and 20 Pac on FM. The real debate is, how fast can he run with the ball at his feet? He probably won't have a 20 Balance or 20 Dribbling or 20 Technique so it would be interesting to see. Even with that speed I doubt he could even be a professional footballer for some lower division without the aforementioned attributes.

He doesn't start fast because he doesn't need to. So why risk a false start with the current 'one and done' rule, especially when you can just finish over the top of everyone anyway?

He'd still regularly get beaten to loose balls 25 yards away for each player's starting point by Pace 1 Acc 1 39 year old arthritic centre halfs, and when you point this out in GQ you'll get SI bods defending it by going on about 'what condition was the player in at the time? motivation?' etc :p

He doesn't start fast because he doesn't need to. So why risk a false start with the current 'one and done' rule, especially when you can just finish over the top of everyone anyway?

Indeed, many seem to overlook the fact that you can't really time your start in sprints. You can try to, but that's a massive risk if a miscalculation sends you out. His "slow" start is simply down to his poor (or rather safe) reaction time. If he would be allowed to time his start (as any footballer in an actual game does, whether from a standing or moving start), we'd have a better idea. Of course his balance would probably be terrible anyway so the sudden change of pace and direction that a Walcott does is out of his reach.

In reality he would too. Any advantage Bolt would have with his speed would be taken away by his lack of footballing awareness, anticipation, decision making and positioning.

Throw Bolt and Razor Ruddock on a pitch together, and I bet Razor would beat him to a loose ball at least 50% of the time, simply because he'd know where to run to and when, while Bolt would have to see it, then get started.

A pinged ball over Ruddock's head though, for Bolt to run on to and he'd either leave Neil eating dust or end up being kicked 100 meters into the air! I'd bet on the latter.

If he did ever get into football he'd be trained to play 90 minutes. If you threw him in just as he is now, he'd be knackered for sure.

But if he signed for a team he'd be trained to play 90 minutes. And he'd still be very pacy.

I haven't seen Bolt many times but when I did - in the newspapers or on some website, he rarely talked about his discipline, always commenting on something he isn't competent to talk about, e.g. football.

Why is Bolt not competent to talk about football? Because he's a sprinter, and not a footballer? If that's the case, you should just shut up and stop talking, because you're not a sprinter, nor an athlete, nor a footballer, so you're obviously not competent to talk about anything at all.

Why is Bolt not competent to talk about football? Because he's a sprinter, and not a footballer? If that's the case, you should just shut up and stop talking, because you're not a sprinter, nor an athlete, nor a footballer, so you're obviously not competent to talk about anything at all.

Exactly. He does so many interviews but instead of saying the same stuff like other athletes he will joke around with them. It's what some of the footballers could learn, instead of being scared to say something.

I saw one where he did his little chat about his win, but then talked about cricket, Warnie, holidaying in Australia and what he'd get up to. It's refreshing instead of the dull comments made by footballers we see every week.

Bolts far from arrogant, he's simply playing up his image and he said all that flair at the start helps calm him.

The big difference is that I'm not a public figure. I'm writing on a forum made for people who share a common interest.

Bolt is a public figure. And as such he needs to be aware of what he talks about. Every interview he gives is listened/read by millions of people. He's famous for his speed on the track. It's OK when people ask him about different subjects from time to time, as it is normal for his fans to be interested in his personal life. But it seems to mee that he suffers from all the media attention. Naturally, Bolt can't talk about sprinting all the time when he's so frequently interviewed. Perhaps he should reduce his public appearences because sometimes he's simply babbling.

Look at this: http://news.oneindia.in/2012/08/07/olympic-star-usain-bolt-wants-manchester-united-trial-1049313.html

I'll post some quotes:

"People think I am joking, but if Sir Alex Ferguson called me up and said 'Okay, let's do this. Come and have a trial', it would be impossible for me to say no,"

It gets better:

"I would not take up the challenge if I didn't think I was good enough. I am a very accomplished player and know I could make a difference."

"I would be the fastest player in the team - but I can play as well," he added

And a more modest final:

"I am in Britain for a few more days. If Alex Ferguson wants to give me a call he knows where I am."

Well, to his credit, he only wants a trial, not a first team role. :D What a modest man.

There is a point where a man's self confidence exceedes his actual ability. Beyond this point we can safely claim he's arrogant.

It's never too late for anyone to make a fool out of himself. Bolt did in that interview.

Arogent my ass. He stopped an interview mid way so that a national anthem could be played.

Well, the whole world wants to hear him, yet he interrupts the interview completely ignoring his conversation partner and the fact that a multimillion audience is watching him. "He's Usian Bolt, he does what he wants"

Some of the comments about Bolt's Acceleration and not training so hard made me laugh. Don't forget, when you are judging him, it's against the best of the rest top sprinters in the world, and not training as hard as some other sprinters does not equate to slacking off!

Also, from a moving start over 150 metres "He ran the last 100 m in 8.70, the fastest ever recorded time over a 100 m distance. This would equal an average speed of 41.38 km/h.

If he was in FM with 20/20 Acc/Pace the next best would have to be, at best, 15/15 and as speed works rather well in FM ;) his other attributes would only have to be fair to middling for him to be a great striker.

Whether he could actually make it as a footballer in real life I have no idea, I have never seen him play.

Archived