Sports Interactive Community
Karnage94

An Insight to my Tenerife team

Hi guys

I have been looking to do a thread like this for quite a while now and with the positive reception of recently released threads, I have decided to give this sort of thing a go. What I aim to show you with this is my system and my players, with how everything works from the back to the front and a bit of an analysis of some games maybe. This is by no means a guide, I’m just sharing my team and showing my tactical decisions and if that can give an idea or provoke a discussion, then I’ll be a happy camper :)

My Personal Preferences

I’ve always been a fan of using defensive shapes that when in attack can prove lethal. I’m not a huge fan of formations with 2 up top or narrow formations, I understand the strengths and weaknesses of each but I’ve always like a formation with 1 man up. It’s what I feel works best in modern football in attack so that’s what I aim to use.

On the defensive side of things, I try to make sure I have at least 1 player in the DM area to either mark an AMC or to protect that space from on rushing midfielders. I like a simple back 4, nothing too fancy with different roles for full backs or anything like that, and I tend to like a Cover - Defend combination with centre backs unless there is 2 up top for the opposition, where that is changed to a Defend - Defend set up.

So over my save with Tenerife, I started with a 4-2-3-1 Deep formation and never really looked back on it. The natural shape has what I want defensively and it lends itself to either a controlling style or a counter attacking style, depending on how you want to set up the roles and the strategy.

The Tactic

Below is my tactic overview and the team instructions.

QNDHT.gif

UI43N.gif

I have made no Team Instruction changes as it allows me to make full use of the shouts and I also feel that the default TC instructions gives me a good mix between retaining possession and providing a cutting edge. The only thing I will change here is the strategy depending on how the game is going or the time wasting slider, which I increase when trying to hold on to a lead. All other adjustments are via shouts.

My reason for using a Balanced Philosophy is because with a side like mine, I don’t want to be too regimented in how the team plays as a unit. I like a solid shape with some room for fluidity. I like the way that the mentality structure of the Balanced philosophy allows players to be involved in more than one phase, so the defenders and deep midfielders deal with the defending and transition stages whilst the players in the attacking areas deal with the transition and attack phases. There is something about that which just feels right to me.

I use a Control strategy in most games as I have the better set of players in the majority of games. I will be able to control possession better and I control many games that I play. At the same time however, I still am able to get the ball forward quickly when it is necessary rather than needlessly holding onto the ball.

This then leads onto the Passing Style which I have set to Default. I find that a shorter passing play is a bit restrictive to what I want to see. What I want to see from my team is a nice mix of both possession play and some direct play. I also like it on default as I can use the shouts anyway to make my passing shorter/slower or faster/quicker using the Retain Possession and Get Ball Forward shouts respectively.

I have my Creative Freedom set to More Expressive however my team aren’t overly blessed with creativity or flair. Some players do have good creativity but overall it is not spectacular (the team from the squad comparison section is 6th for Creativity). However I feel that you need to let your players loose when it comes to breaking down packed defences. If you let your players try and follow a set plan and routine against a deep and narrow team, it may not work as well as letting the player decide in the moment about how to force an opening. This puts a lot of trust in the players but I believe that it works better than restricting the creativity with the side that I have.

Closing Down is set to Press More. This works in line with my Control strategy and despite the defensive shape I have, it does seem to work very well. My team is filled with players with a high level of Stamina so they can pull it off well and it helps with winning the ball high up the pitch to start a rapid attack or as a method of keeping the ball as well as I can.

Tackling I almost always keep it as Default and use the shouts if I need to adjust. I would use the Get Stuck In shout if I want to hold onto the lead and use it as a time wasting tool and the Stay on Feet shout for the exact opposite effect. Also I will use the Get Stuck in shout if I notice the opposition are in danger of picking up bookings and look wound up, just as a bit of a cheap tactic. One thing I do change manually ere is I reduce the tackling of my front 4 to easy as I feel there is no point having them dive into tackles that they may not win. This sounds a bit counterproductive when paired with a high pressing game but I want to be sensible with my players at the same time. My front 4 can’t tackle, but if they get into a position where a defender has a heavy touch, I still want them to be right on to the defenders.

Marking I’ve kept on Default too as I will change this on a match to match basis, depending on the shape of the opposition. If the opposition are playing for example a 4-2-3-1 formation (not the deep one) I would sometimes ask my AMC to latch onto the MCR of the opposition and have the DLP take the MCL and the Anchor Man then deal with the AMC, meaning my team then defends in a 4-1-2-2-1 style shape. However I would only use this if I feel the deeper midfielders were getting too much time on the ball. When I come up against a good team who play a 4-4-2, I would sometimes leave the left CB on a cover role, change his marking to a Loose - Zonal and have my Anchor Man take up the right sided striker, which I normally find to be the deeper one. Then I have the DLP and the AM mark the two central midfielders.

The Players

Since I am Now into 2018, I have quite a few regens in my team and the real players are now quite a bit older so I’ll show you my starting 11 and say a bit about why they play the role that they do.

Goalkeeper - Defend

No changes made to the role of the keeper apart from passing reduced to short and the distribution set to Defender Collect.

My keeper is still young and performs very well, both seasons averaging over 7.1 and I can’t think of any glaring errors he’s made and he’ll only get better.

Right Back - Full Back - Support

There is no changes from a normal full back - support role here, I didn’t even change the long shots to rarely as I’m happy to let him shoot from range if that’s what he thinks the best option is. Very rarely does he end up central anyway.

I don’t have him bombing in crosses unless the situation requires it (I’ll go into detail about that later) so he works as a very useful link player out wide and he is a solid defender too. Can only really fault his lack of natural fitness and teamwork but at the time he was the best available to me and hasn’t let me down.

Centre Back Right - Central Defender - Defend

This is the player who plays the more aggressive of the two centre backs and is also my far post target at corners. His lack of acceleration is why he isn’t used as the covering defender but he is a top class defender and one that is a regular international for Brazil. I hope to keep him for some time to come.

Centre Back Left - Central Defender - Cover

Alvaro plays the covering defender role despite his aggressive nature as he is the best option for the covering role despite a lack of composure. He is also my captain and often leads by example and has finally been called up to the Spain squad for the World Cup.

Left Back - Full Back - Support

Plays the exact same role as Novosad on the right and does a fantastic job for a 19 year old and has been my first choice for 18 months now. Occasionally makes mistakes due to his weaker mental attributes and a lack of composure is something I’m working on improving but he has plenty of time to live up to his Wonderkid tag. He gets forward as much as Novosad too and doesn’t get caught out of position. Awesome bargain when I bought him for under 500k at 16 (Thank you scouts!).

Defensive Midfielder Right - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support

I brought this guy in for £2.5M in January, not sure how my scouts managed to miss him for so long as he is quite a brilliant player with the only real weakness in teamwork, however it isn’t too bad.

I’ve played him in a number of roles but I settled on using him as a Deep Lying Playmaker - Support and he has played very well and his Long Shots attribute in combination with his technique and solid composure means that I let him fire from range when he sees fit, and all 3 goals he scored for me were well taken bullets from outside the box.

Between this position and the other DM, I’ve made a lot of role changes without feeling that I had the right combination but I now think I have this right.

[Defensive Midfielder Left - Anchor Man

My record signing and he is quite a physical beast. Also tried him in a few roles and he seems to do a good job as an Anchor Man, so I’ve stuck with it. He does a lot of running covering for my young full back which is why he is on that side. Also he can play the ball winning role safe in the knowledge that there is still another DM holding position in front of the centre backs, so I’m not exposed by his covering. He does have a low decisions attribute which has resulted in a few careless tackles and a couple of penalties but he is still the best player I have in this role and I can’t complain. I know what I bought.

Attacking Midfielder Right - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

Chardon is by no means a natural build for an advanced playmaker but he seems to do a decent job. The other two players I play here are definite playmakers but this guy seems to be doing well. Also the other two players I use here are left footed so he provides a nice mix if he comes off the bench.

He also covers my Striker so he is a useful player to have around and has scored a couple of crucial goals by making a late run on to a through ball and finish across the keeper. Still not fully decided on what I want to do here but I have a new guy coming in which I’ll mention later.

Attacking Midfielder Centre - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

For a long time I had been using Thiago here in a Support role and he did a good job of coming into space and providing a key pass. Last season I think he topped the key pass leaderboard (I've went too far on to check now).

But I wanted to get more out of him with his good dribbling ability and solid finishing. So I changed him to an Attack duty about half way through the season, same role as before, and he does a great job of mixing his playmaking ability with his ability to go drop off a defender and picking up the ball, turning, taking a couple of men on and scoring. With the support role he wasn’t doing that but now he is and he hasn’t lost much of his playmaking ability.

Below is a good example I have of the goal scoring threat that Thiago possesses when he has the Advanced Playmaker - Attack role.

IG39xs.jpg

The ball was cleared from a cross into the box and the ball fell to Crisetig playing the DLP - S role. What you can see here is that Thiago has found himself in a nice little pocket of space and is in a good position to receive the ball. This is typical movement of Thiago that I have seen in both the attack and support roles, so nothing all that special here in terms of difference between roles.

nn6EOs.jpg

Thiago drops a little shade deeper to receive the ball, giving him time to turn and assess his options. Paloschi (9) is fractionally onside which is one option and the second is for him to use his high dribbling ability to take on the centre backs.

Zuvrys.jpg

As you can see, he decided to neglect the option of Paloschi and took the run on himself. This I believe is due to the change in role. Thaigo has 12 for teamwork and may have taken the run on anyway, but there are 3 main differences between the Attack and Support roles of the Advanced Playmaker: The Mentality, The Creative Freedom and the Runs With Ball slider. Here I feel the latter two came into effect more as Thiago has full creative freedom and Runs With Ball set to often. This takes advantage of his very good dribbling ability, which meant he juked past both centre backs.

QVvros.jpg

Finally, Thiago takes the shot and his solid if unspectacular finishing coupled with his good composure and world class technique meant he curled a shot passed the keeper slightly away from the corner of the goal from just inside the penalty area. This is why I have him on the Attack role and not the Support. It gives him slightly more scope to provide that little bit of magic.

Attacking Midfielder Left - Winger - Attack

Despite his fairly modest looking attributes, Carazinho was the player who comfortably topped the average rating list in my team last season with a 7.69 average rating.

I had originally designed this role for Nicolas Gaitan where I had the wide play set to Moves into Channels to try and help him take up position between the full back and centre back and cause havoc that way instead of just going down the touch line. But this guy does the job better than Gaitan did and managed to pop up with 16 goals last season and 26 assists.

Something about this role has clicked very nicely and it gives a direct running option in comparison to the creative roles for AMC and AMR, so I’m happy with the balance here.

Striker - Poacher

Alberto Paloschi is a favourite amongst us FM players. Possibly over rated on FM but I’m not going to care a bit, he scores plenty of goals and is a very good dribbling poacher. He is the designated target man with supply on run onto ball, so he scores plenty of goals (however mainly in bursts). I have new plans for this role however.

Problems I have noticed in games with this tactic

There are a couple of things that I feel need fixing, the first of these is the fact that I have a poacher in my team. A poacher is fine and dandy for the most part and they tend to score a lot of goals. But when they go missing in games it seems like a bit of a struggle to score. Thankfully Paloschi has been pretty good this season but since the poacher is almost always the highest player on the pitch, most of the chances fall to him. What I want to do is bring in a forward who can score and create in a fairly equal measure and help bring others into play to take of the goal scoring burden.

The other problem I have is that I have a really rough time trying to break down teams that play very deep and narrow if I don’t make changes. A good example I face each season is against Osasuna. They play a 5-4-1 with wing backs and a narrow diamond midfield. This is so very difficult to break down as since they are a weak team, they would break forward maybe once in a match and usually score. I know that if I’m to keep the same formation, I have to get my full backs right up the pitch and going forward, my full backs aren’t the best (they aren’t bad though). This is a bit of a picky problem and nothing major, but I am aware that my tactic is by no means a 1 size fits all type of thing. However I am thinking about making my full backs a bit more attacking for the new season.

New Signings - What I hope they bring to my team

As we all know, you can’t have the same squad forever, players lose their value to you and you look to replace them with better players. I’ve brought in a couple of players that I feel can improve the quality of my squad in different ways than what I currently have so below are a couple of new signings that will give my team a breath of fresh air.

Julian Pelosi - Right Winger

A new right winger that was of top quality was always on the cards. My old first choice Markus Mendler had a poor season despite playing the same role as before and he is growing increasingly unhappy with time at the club and I’m frustrated at his lack of meaningful performances that were everywhere to be seen last season. Chardon is very much a work in progress and I am still a little unsure what I want from him. Pelosi cost a mere £4.4M in comparison to the £15-20M or so I could get from Mendler. The club could do with the money from his sale and the team would (hopefully) improve as a result. The reason why I went for him specifically is that he is potentially quite good for the inside forward role (you’ll see soon why I want an inside forward) and he’s an Argentinean so will get Spanish Citizenship in 2 years. Happy days :D

Marc Duffy - Striker

I’ll never know why Arsenal didn’t use him (actually I do, they have an unstoppable poacher and play a 4-5-1) so this guy was hardly used and subsequently, my British scout notified me that he was quite a good player. So when his contract was up I jumped on the opportunity like a hyperactive kid on a trampoline.

Ok sure, his mentals aren’t spectacular but would you expect them to be from a 22 year old that barely got a game. He’s the technically gifted striker I’ve been searching for and I plan to use him in a creative striker role (leaving Paloschi a bit out in the dark) so that’s why I was looking for an inside forward as well to exploit the space a creative striker would provide.

I’m happy that I’m now at the point where I can really put my own stamp onto this team rather than settling for what I can. Now that my team is an established “big club”, I have to be careful not to be so one dimensional with my tactics and try and get my team to attack with brutal movement and defend with security. I think I have the defence sorted but at times last season, I struggled to score when Paloschi wasn’t firing, so that’s why I’m going for a different approach.

An analysis of a game

I don’t think there is a whole lot of point in talking about the tactic and the system and the players without really analysing it. Thankfully we have all the information that we need in the wonderful Analysis tab. What I’ll show you here is I guess proof that what I do actually works and that I’m not rambling like an old man (maybe I do that already). The game that I will use as my example is the Copa del Rey final I played against Barcelona. It was the 4th game I played against them in the space of 2 weeks and remarkably managed to eek a win from the lot but drew against Sporting Gijon in between all that (football, eh).

Anyway, I got to stop rambling, the match if you look at the match stats would suggest that I had maybe a slight advantage but I guess it could have went Barcelona’s way on a different day. 3YVbo.gif

First thing that springs to mind is the good accuracy of my teams shooting in comparison to Barcelona’s. Below are the shots that were taken from both sides.

Barcelona Shots

Tenerife Shots

So as you can see, the shots of my Tenerife team were far better grouped than that of Barcelona. Tenerife only had 1 shot outside the area compared to 4 from Barcelona and our shots were for the most part at an angle capable of realistically scoring (I’d say the 2 saved shots to the left weren’t good angles) with Barcelona’s efforts not particularly well angled apart from a couple.

The goal that they did score was from Messi picking the ball up from just inside our half, and running at my centre backs, whom both missed their tackles, and scoring a 1-on-1. Apart from that goal, he didn’t trouble us at all.

Our 3 goals came from a goal from a flicked on header at the back post at a corner, my striker playing a team game by running into the channel with the ball, crossing the ball which was blocked for Carazinho to score the rebound and the third I will show in my last section.

Onto the passes now and the 60% possession my team had can clearly be seen in the passes section. We just didn’t let them settle at all (thanks mainly to the Hassle Opponents shout or whatever it is called).

Barcelona Passes

Tenerife Passes

With Barcelona’s passing, they didn’t get into a rhythm and you can see a lot of long lines coming from deep. Found it a bit odd to see a lot of passing down the right hand side, maybe that was to target my left back but their goal didn’t come from that are and I think their only other good chance came from a cross on that side.

With my side however you can see a few of clumps of passing in the middle (I particularly like the area between the centre circle and the opposition penalty area where a lot of passes were completed) and not intentionally a bias to the left side of the pitch as my keeper decided that Charlton was the better defender to pass to in most cases. Charlton’s pass completion wasn’t great but he did keep the ball moving well enough so I can’t complain.

The next area I want to look at is the tackles made and in particular the ones made in the defensive half of both sides. I think it will show how well my team defended apart from the goal they scored.

Barcelona Tackling

Tenerife Tackling

What I notice here is that there is a solitary tackle made by my defence in the penalty area. Against Barcelona I think that’s pretty good and shows how well we restricted them. Most tackles made were very centrally which I believe shows the benefit of having 2 DM’s. It is extremely difficult to break through this kind of shape and Barcelona were pretty much forced to attack the flanks and try to put crosses in, which is definitely not the Barca way.

Also apart from the two missed tackles for the goal (the missed tackles of 19 and 16) we only missed 3 tackles inside our own half and those were in fairly safe areas, so I have no problems with how the team defended and you can’t keep a clean sheet every game.

Barcelona on the other hand really struggled defensively in comparison and their tackling map is littered with reds here and there. Barcelona also made a lot more tackles in the penalty area which shows the pressure they were under defensively. There are 2 missed tackles in key areas which at the top level will be punished and overall, we tackled better than they did. I also note that Messi was in his own half trying to make a tackle and failing, showing that Barcelona really did not have things going their way whenever he is trying to get stuck in.

I would show more areas to analyse but looking through it I didn’t see anything else that caught my eye in terms of why we won. We kept the ball better, defended better and created our chances better. It was almost a routine win but a game against Barca is never easy and I won my first Copa del Rey in the process and later in the season picked up my 3rd La Liga title in a row and narrowly missed out in the Champions League, losing in the final in extra time to PSG.

Analysis of a goal

I have already shown a goal from my Advanced Playmaker Thiago but that was me just trying to justify my choice in that role. Here I will show the third goal that was scored against Barca in the cup final. I chose this one as I feel it was a good team goal and a good example of the football my team can produce.

PHwYY.gif

OScVy.gif

Ido0r.gif

qfmFY.gif

I will go through this screen by screen. Firstly, Charlton my left back was in plenty of space to play a square ball to Crisetig who is in the DLP role. Crisetig is good enough off the ball to get himself into space. It looks like Barcelona are ok defensively, however Chardon (20) is hovering about and Crisetig is free.

The second screen shows Crisetig now on the ball. Fabregas (4) is trying to close him down but Crisetig is in plenty of space and has time to knock a simple ball to Mendler (11) who is playing the Advanced Playmaker role. Note that Mendler has dropped off his man ever so slightly to give him room to receive the ball and turn.

The third screen shows how Mendler has now turned his man and has 3 options from here, he can lay it off to Griffiths (14), play a through ball to Chardon (20) or go it alone. Hartmann (17) is not in a great position to properly cover the full back that has let Chardon get goal side of him. Mendler spots this and rolls a simple through ball to Chardon.

The final screen shows Chardon under a fair bit of pressure but he is good enough to slot the ball home and to kill off any chance of Barca fighting back.

This goal happened in the blink of an eye, it was a rapid move starting from an area without danger and with little opportunity to break through what looked like a solid defence. But good off the ball movement from my players created space to force an opening and I had a player capable of taking his chances on the end of it.

Conclusion

Hopefully this has given you an insight as to how I do things. This isn’t a guide by any means but if anybody has picked up a trick along the way then I’ll be happy. If anybody has any questions or queries then I’ll be happy to try and answer.

Fantastic thread, it really is. Especially as I've seen you develop this over time with the posts you've made in my thread. Outstanding thread nice work :thup:

Thanks Cleon. Thankfully I think it's turned out well, probably spent more time trying to sort screenshots out than anything else :)

The screenies always take a bit of time! But it gets quicker as you do it more (which I hope you will :) )

I meant to say earlier but great work Karnage, you always post decent things so glad you've shared some of your own journey.

Exactly the same formation I'm trying to develop for my Chelsea, shall be saving this to my bookmarks, well done sir.

Thanks guys :) If there is anything you want to ask then please go for it. I do want discussion on this, ideas and views from people so please fire away. I have a promising youth player that has impressed me that I know I want to be in my first team in a few seasons time. Would people like to see that and see what I intend to do with that and how he will fit into my system?

Really nice! It is 4am and I am very tired but will give this a read when I can give it the full attention it deserves.

Always a fan of the 4231 or any varients and very passionate to see it used to proper effect, as it seems on first glance, you are. I do love a good Barcelona trouncing too as I am currently managing R Madrid :D

Again, nice work mate. Another great thread to browse :thup:

Edit -- I ended up reading it anyway. A lot of excellent points and great examples of how you play. How important would you say your full backs were in the Barcelona win? How did you approach the pre-game tactics - defensive mindset or a bit more attacking? I ask because managing in the Spanish league it is always fun to come up against Barcelona (they must have spent a BOMB on Neymar?!).

Nice thread. Well explained and detailed. Against the teams that sit back against you, I can only think it's because your front 4 are all on attack duties and with the roles you've given them, they will try and aggressively run through the defence. A change of roles or even changing one or two to support duty might help. Or even the shout "play through defence" so that they run less with the ball.

Love the thread, awesome work. I'm curious to know how your change in approach with using Duffy rather than Paloschi has worked? Apologies if you mentioned that and I missed it.

Really nice! It is 4am and I am very tired but will give this a read when I can give it the full attention it deserves.

Always a fan of the 4231 or any varients and very passionate to see it used to proper effect, as it seems on first glance, you are. I do love a good Barcelona trouncing too as I am currently managing R Madrid :D

Again, nice work mate. Another great thread to browse :thup:

Edit -- I ended up reading it anyway. A lot of excellent points and great examples of how you play. How important would you say your full backs were in the Barcelona win? How did you approach the pre-game tactics - defensive mindset or a bit more attacking? I ask because managing in the Spanish league it is always fun to come up against Barcelona (they must have spent a BOMB on Neymar?!).

My full backs are always important to me and they do get a lot of the ball from the keeper and they are a reliable out ball for my deep midfielders. They do a good job of linking the defence to the attack from out wide which is nice, but would like to get them possibly a bit more up the pitch. Also both full backs did a terrific job defensively and apart from one back post cross, I cannot think of a time when my full back got beat my his man.

Pre Game I surprisingly didn't do a lot different to normal. I always hassle Barca when I play them and try to unsettle them so I used the Hassle Opponents shout right off the bat. It suits my team well because of the high stamina throughout. I also used the Retain Possession shout so when I did have the ball, the play was more controlled and measured. I think that is why my team created such good chances. Apart from that I think at the end of the game I switched to a standard strategy to just give a slightly more defensive mindset without inviting too much pressure and the game was closed out with ease

Neymar cost Barcelona a pricey £46M I think in 2014, a figure in my save that is yet to be surpassed. Funnily enough, Barcelona's net transfer spend this season was a whopping £108M and they still only finished 5th. Luis Enrique got sacked and Pep Guardiola is back in charge.

Nice thread. Well explained and detailed. Against the teams that sit back against you, I can only think it's because your front 4 are all on attack duties and with the roles you've given them, they will try and aggressively run through the defence. A change of roles or even changing one or two to support duty might help. Or even the shout "play through defence" so that they run less with the ball.
That is an idea thank you. However I am not sure which role to put on support. The team by the end of the season was attacking very well against all teams so maybe I'll stick with it :)
Love the thread, awesome work. I'm curious to know how your change in approach with using Duffy rather than Paloschi has worked? Apologies if you mentioned that and I missed it.
I haven't yet got a pre season game started yet as I've been out the last 2 nights at the cinema. I still haven't even decided on the role of Duffy however I am leaning towards a DLF - Attack as I think that will get the most of both his creative and finishing ability. Once I get something going I'll update on here with my new setup :)

I find DLF Attack a great instruction for a lone forward.

If gives them a chance to drop that little deeper as well as making runs in behind. I'm using it in 4-2-3-1 and Higuain Banged them in last season

I find DLF Attack a great instruction for a lone forward.

If gives them a chance to drop that little deeper as well as making runs in behind. I'm using it in 4-2-3-1 and Higuain Banged them in last season

Yeah that's what I'm looking for in my striker. I also want my new Inside Forward to contribute with regular goals too as I feel my current approach with a Poacher up top is not reaping the benefits that it did when I was seen as a weaker side and my striker had more space in behind. A lot of teams don't play a DM in Spain, there is a lot of 4-2-3-1's about, so the striker will be able to drop deep and into the same sort of area as my AM who I hope will run on into that space. The first few games will hopefully give that movement

To employ an IF effectively it is about the cohesion up front and the relationship between creative players and goal scorers.. Positioning a very creative minded player near by, taking into account his stronger foot too. It is a a bit silly for the player you want to be involved being cut off from a creative player not able to use his weaker foot to utilise the IF runs. For me though it is all about the IF's personal instructions. I always set Ronaldo's wide play to 'Move Into Channels'. His natural style of play will force him to cut inside, nothing I ask him to do will change that. 'Move Into Channels' will add another dimension onto his game. If I was a defender, Ronaldo would be the last player I would want to see attacking my channel with his pace, strength and ability.

I agree with the mention of the support role and the Deep Lying Forward (Higuain does seem to thrive for me too, with a few instruction tweaks) however if you'd prefer keep the roles you have and if you want your Centre Forward dropping a touch deeper drop his mentality to below the middle. The AMR/AML/AMC can then act off the Centre Forward - your CF being your lynch pin almost. Still retain the attacking potency in most of his settings but he will just drop a touch deeper - consider affecting his passing to maybe more direct and through balls more often and your IF should make a lot of runs off your Centre Forward, allowing him to score more.

Experimentation is key though! :thup:

That is an idea thank you. However I am not sure which role to put on support. The team by the end of the season was attacking very well against all teams so maybe I'll stick with it :)

Then your better option might be to use the shout I mentioned. That coupled with the suggestion of DLF Attack might be the answer! :thup:

Yeah that's what I'm looking for in my striker. I also want my new Inside Forward to contribute with regular goals too as I feel my current approach with a Poacher up top is not reaping the benefits that it did when I was seen as a weaker side and my striker had more space in behind. A lot of teams don't play a DM in Spain, there is a lot of 4-2-3-1's about, so the striker will be able to drop deep and into the same sort of area as my AM who I hope will run on into that space. The first few games will hopefully give that movement

Yes sir.

When playing weak teams try setting up like this:-

DLP support - DlP def - IF ATK - TQ - IF ATK - DLP A

width if provided by your fullbacks and with your 2 cm's that bit deeper you should have enough cover especially if you play someone with some pace in the DLP defend slot.

In my RM game i'm trying to adapt a system which can include both rooney and Higuain but Rooney broke his cheekbone in his second game so will need to experiment more when he's fit

R0ca, how much did you pay for Rooney?!

I'm talking fm2011 personally but he cost me 50million + 17 year old striker who is rated @ 2star potential.

I wanted Fabregas but arsenal wanted 145million. and I've been ass kissing wenger for 2 years and thats how he re-pays me lol.

Sorry for the lack of my input on this thread after my opening post. Due to my incredible laziness and the Olympics being of interest to me, Football Manager has taken a bit of a back seat lately. I've only got 4 games played in the last week and a half or so but I will share with you what things look like now and what I have seen with my new players and changes.

First of all I'll show what my team instructions now look like with the new players in and having taken on board some of the advice in this thread and seeing some positive results.

Team Instructions

So as you can see, a couple of little changes, the full backs are more attacking to help out a bit more going forward and to give them an attacking role in their own right, rather than as a support or link type. I believe my full backs are capable of being good enough going forward and the back 4 will hold fort as they motor on.

I also have changed the striker to a Deep Lying Forward and my right winger to an Inside Forward to try and improve the spread of goals across the team and I also changed my left winger to a Support role as I feel I would have had too many players on an Attack Duty and I felt that my winger could still do a top job with a Support role (and my pre-season games so far have left me happy with the change). I would have changed the AMC but I was really happy at the end of the season with the contributions and I hope that the AMC will occasionally run on past the striker dropping deep.

Something to note, I have put Paloschi up for sale as I reckon he would not get many games in this system and Duffy, Griffiths or Chardon can all play a poacher role if that is necessary. His release clause is £24M and the club, whilst financially sound at this point, will need money brought in for a while as a new stadium is being built (unfortunately not named after me :( )

I also changed my Philosophy to Fluid as I feel that a more fluid style would suit the new roles and the way I want the team to play. It's something at this point which is definitely on trial but my 4 pre-season games have pleased me with the general build up play and approach to getting the ball forward, whilst still being defensively solid as per usual.

Below are a couple of examples of what the changes have done to the movement of the team in my 3-0 friendly win over a strong Everton side.

04s8n.gif

First up we have a throw in roughly on the half way line on the left which is thrown to my striker (Duffy 9) who has dropped deep. The other 2 key players to look at in this move are Crisetig (6) who is playing the Anchor Man role I think and Carazinho (11) playing the Winger - Support role.

QuRj1.gif

At this point, Duffy is attracting the opposition like flies to dirt. This leaves Carazinho in a beautiful position to make a run, but for now he holds it, waiting for the right time to leg it. Duffy makes the only sensible option here and lays the ball of to Crisetig.

g7Z5z.gif

The ball was held up by Crisetig enough to let Carazinho get as far up the pitch as he could without falling offside and then lofts a simple ball towards him. Everton's defence torn apart in 2 passes.

EHfSW.gif

The full back caught up impressively but it wasn't enough as Carazinho calmly blasted the ball in.

That goal might have been a shocking error by the defence of Everton to try and tightly mark Duffy at all costs but it was ruthlessly exploited by my team which is great to see.

Onto another example and one that I think shows the movement of my players a bit better.

agxci.gif

Here we have a counter attack that had just been broken down but my young star Badayco playing the left wing role had kept hold of the ball. Key players here are Beck (14) playing the DLP - Support role and Pelosi (7) playing the Inside Forward role. Everton have retreated back well and have created 2 banks of 4. So we have a classic set up that will need to be broken down at some point on the season.

Ce3Kb.gif

Badayco has come inside a little further and realises the only viable option he has is to lay the ball off to Beck.

DSLnN.gif

Once Beck has possession he has 2 options. He can knock the ball out wide to the full back or he can play a tasty through ball to the Inside Forward. Also note that both centre backs are tightly marking the striker which is a good thing here as the right side channel is wide open to exploit. Beck is a functional rather than technical player but he is solid in the pass so he can pull off the pass and is smart enough to take it on.

NBPCb.gif

Pelosi latches onto the through ball, timing his run perfectly and despite not being under any immediate pressure and having a simple chance on goal, he felt that taking the ball onto his stronger right foot was too much to ask and he blazed over with his weak left foot. Luckily we had the game won at this point, so I didn't worry.

superb thread and an interesting read...

I was always in the defensive and direct attacking camp until recently where I was swept up in the quest to find the perfect possession game..

I may go back to my roots and try with an unfashionable side and create something similar...

good job, and thankyou

superb thread and an interesting read...

I was always in the defensive and direct attacking camp until recently where I was swept up in the quest to find the perfect possession game..

I may go back to my roots and try with an unfashionable side and create something similar...

good job, and thankyou

Thanks welshace. I think it's all about knowing what your players can give you and how each player fits into the general trend in the team and you also have to be comfortable with the style you play too. If I wanted, I could set my team up to just annihilate the opposition with 70% possession in a match but I don't feel happy to do that. In certain situations this might be the best option but most certainly not for every game. So with that in mind, I'd like to think I've set my team up pretty balanced (although quite attacking) so small changes through shouts can change the style of play drastically rather than having to change the entire team set up.