Sports Interactive Community

7606370220_8b239bdaf2_b.jpg

Currently experimenting around in pre-season, and stumbled upon this set-up. In all my years of FM, I've rarely used a sweeper, and never bothered to play around with players in the full back position there - so was somewhat surprised to see what happened here. In the game, I played Columbus Crew, winning 1-0 and clocking up 88% possession - so safe to say that my defense wasn't tested. The movement of the two players outwide was interesting I thought, in them acting in a way you see the center backs of Barcelona do - moving wide to the touchline from a central position, but still staying back to provide defensive numbers.

Here's a brief example of how effective they were when playing out from the back;

7606442512_133d8a3509_c.jpg

7606444712_26d69ffc02_c.jpg

Any body ever used these positions before, or anything to say about this? Would love for this to become a solid system to use, but can see it being very vulnerable against even medicore sides that aren't penned back by such high possession and passing. Anyway, it was a fun game to watch, and shall continue for the mean time to play around.

A very different set-up. Do you not worry for you central defence when you come up against two strikers, especially when playing in bigger profile matches?

This is what I hope to discover, and a short answer to that question would be - yes.

This has become a spin off from a wide back three, with three central defensive midfielders I've been experimenting for a few months. Basically the game I posted in the OP I thought why not move the back three back one strata, and the dms forward to try and get more players in forward positions - as I knew I would pin back the opposition to such a great extent.

Like I say, playing some friendlies, at the moment against Bolton - so shall observe what happens. Just a precursor, I don't intent for the this to be taken utterly seriously, just curious if anybody has ever made use of the SWL/R positions.

Ive never even considered using a sweeper, let alone sweeping full backs ;) very interested in this, keep us updated. I do agree with SRL88 though, against two strikers there could be trouble, maybe drop a MC back to DM and get the two DM's to mark the strikers?

This is very interesting , i haven't used SW before , it always nice seeing people experiment and see their results !

tried something similar, I actually had more problems with a 4-2-3-1 (3 AMCS) coz they would just overran me in the defensive mid/centreback zones. Have you encountered a similar problem?

Ive never even considered using a sweeper, let alone sweeping full backs ;) very interested in this, keep us updated. I do agree with SRL88 though, against two strikers there could be trouble, maybe drop a MC back to DM and get the two DM's to mark the strikers?

I've always liked the idea of a Sweeper, combining as an adventurous attack minded defender; but from what I've read around forums, this is near on impossible to implement in the ME.

Regarding the MC back to the DM, this is something I've used when having 3 DMs - where in fact the CB in essence become a sweeper in all but name. At the moment I've got my whole side on tight-zonal marking. I've yet to play this set-up in a competitive game, but going blood it in my Super Cup game against Liverpool due to their not really being anything to play for. From what I've picked up in the more competitive friendlies I've played (Santos, Brighton (Now PL) and Bolton), I'm generally a lot less suspetpable to anyball played over the top whilst playing sweepers than I was when I would play the RB-CB-LB combination, with central sweeper in essence making good accordance for the space behind him and willing to 'sweep' the play away, instead of where a CB would get marked too tight to the ST and would allow his positioning with the RB and LB to become too tight, and generally not reasoning the space behind him. Hard to explain, hopefully I've got a point across, would be a lot easier with diagrams I know! With the SWR/L they tend to act generally as full backs when needed, when faced with a winger running at them, and sometimes tuck in to become second and third center backs when my midfielders have come over to close out wide.

I have played with the 3 DM for some stages in a friendlies, what I picked up there is that it would push the sweepers back, not allowing them the space to move forward. I'm using a very high line here, intent on trying to maintain big chunks of possession - so that had a somewhat detrimental effect on the overall system as it would leave the 3DM positioned on the half way line with the sweepers behind them, where as in a 3SW-DM-2CM it would allow the sweepers to position themselves on the half way line, thus having six midfielders to open themselves for possession.

tried something similar, I actually had more problems with a 4-2-3-1 (3 AMCS) coz they would just overran me in the defensive mid/centreback zones. Have you encountered a similar problem?

As I said, I'm yet to field this in a competitive game, let alone face a narrow 4-2-3-1, but from my experiences from using 3-3-3-1 (RB-CB-LB-3DM-3AM-ST) you are left with four attacking players sat high up the field whilst my team pass the ball around the edge of the opponents box, so very susceptible to counter attacks, as well as an play in open play with the inter-changing of space these opposing players provide. This has a counter I've found, with the fact that the opposition are leaving 4 men advanced of the ball, it makes it very easy to keep the ball and make space for each other.

This is very interesting , i haven't used SW before , it always nice seeing people experiment and see their results !

Thanks for the interest. I shan't be using this as a week-in, week-out tactic, and will probably use it now and again when I know I'll be able to get a couple of goals against a low-standing side in the league, as it's fundamentally a system set out to achieve high passing and possession, with me reaching close to 90% and 1000 passes in a couple of friendlies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall field this against Liverpool in my Super Cup game, as said above, and post up some heat maps and analysis from what I can find later this evening.

Right, change of plan, instead of fielding against Liverpool, I've seen a better opportunity at this stage against QPR at home in the league. This isn't a system that aims to create lots of clear cut chances nor score lots of goals, it's heavily based on keeping the ball and controlling play. This probably isn't for everyone, and I can recognise that, I don't use this sort of setup all the time, but over time I've found a lot more enjoyment in trying to get such dominance over the AI. Saying that, I'm very eager to load up a Barcelona save and have a play around!

Following that, I'd like to add, the purpose of this thread wasn't to be as insightful as some of the excellent work you see around these threads - more of a 'Hey, look what I've just found' And I'd like to try an emphasis the purpose of the posts towards the topic - Sweeping-fullbacks, and how they work in the game, not how much I've passed the ball around in my own half :p

Anyway, this is what I found from playing it in a competitive match, against a mid-table side at home..

7611631120_30b6a758f9_b.jpg

Due to the set-up of the system, and how little QPR were to have of the ball, I was wasn't expecting them to threaten on my goal heavily, and they didn't - despite this, the single shot on target you see, went in, meaning I drew the game 1-1.

My first intentions into moving my previously back three of RB/CB/LB back a strata to all become sweepers, was mainly out of curiosity, but sort of an ambition and willingness for the previous set-up to overcome it's rigidity and wideness that you will see; what I wanted, is what I think everyone does with their back three, for it to be able to defend narrow, as well as wide, for it to move into the channels when there is danger, along with the wider-center backs moving wide to expand the range of passing options. In essence, I believe it has done all of that to one extent or another - but in regard to it defending in this current set-up, it's main threat is the ball played over the top. Example being, the side have strung together 30 or so passes together and have camped themselves in the oppositions half, meaning that the back three have moved up to the half way line. In doing this they have left an open field for any ball to be played into for a forward to chase onto. Now it would be foolish for anybody to field a slow center back such as Terry or Mertesaker in these positions, you need somebody quick! What would happen in these situations I've found when playing a CB instead of a SW is that the CB would try and defend the player, where as the SW would take up a similar position, and would be zonally aware of the striker here, but with a decent positioning rating, would allow himself a lot better chance to cover the space behind him - instead of marking the man, and not taking the best action to cut out the ball itself. The same can be seen with the full backs when moved back to become SWR/L, but to a lesser extent, I've found they act like center backs that will move wide to become full backs.

Therefore, for anybody still with me, you'd see that the main weapon for the opposition is to seek that ball over the top, due to heavy pressing being put on from a good amount of players within their own half they haven't the luxury of slowly building from the back. Combine this with how many times the opposing defenders just want to clear their lines, I want my defenders to be adept at intercepting the ball - and be in the best possible position to do so, and I think SW provides that as opposed to being CB. Below you will see the passing from my side to the left, with QPR to the right, but most importantly the interceptions that my defenders made.

7611633146_a428e9e666_z.jpg7611631732_72f617a058.jpg

The game in fact was drawn, but could quite easily have be won on another day, and with certain tweaks to the system, for example more through balls, running with the ball etc. I could have possibly created more. Sadly the single shot QPR managed to post went in, and in doing so, outlined certain fraglities that a back three set up like this will have. But saying that, it was the only attack that the side posed, so I'm undecided on which way to fall here.. [down to next post]

7611630876_00467733a8_b.jpg

1. You'll see that the defensive positioning of the three sweepers becomes what you'd expect to see from a regular back three in the first slide - with a back three of Gibbs, Varane and Corchia, positioning themselves to defend 2 vs. 3 against the QPR strikers.

2. Here the back three move wider as Surman brings the ball forward, whilst the DM Alex Song moves over the close him down.

3. As Surman is able to play the ball inside to Cisse it's clear that what once was a compact back three has moved far too wide. Cisse is able to quickly move the ball inside again before Varane is able to make the tackle, where the left full back is isolated in a 2v1 situation.

4. Due Varane's willingness to close the ball, it's left a big space from which Zamora can move into and have a free shot on goal, and score from.

Ideally in this situation, I'd have wanted my central sweeper to really hold his position and wait for a much better time to challenge. Maybe this is down to too higher closing-down, I think that was the case; either way his positioning and willingness to defend the ground would have been crucial to stopping what once was a solid back 3 become so isolated.

That's all I have to say from that game, hopefully such ramblings can be of a talking point. I shall try a tweak the closing down of the defenders, and may report back any findings. May load up a fresh save to play around with, but will more than likely carry of with the Arsenal side I've grown attached too.

Anything else on how this sort of defence plays I'll be happily enough post up images of :)

Looks like it works fantastic to keep possession. The screenshot showing your 85% control of the ball is a fantastic one to see. What was the downfall to conceding the goal you did?

Looks like it works fantastic to keep possession. The screenshot showing your 85% control of the ball is a fantastic one to see. What was the downfall to conceding the goal you did?

Not winning the game :p Drew 1-1

Not winning the game :p Drew 1-1

Well yes :rolleyes:. Was it the fact that you only had one centre back and exposed this on the attack or something else?

Well yes :rolleyes:. Was it the fact that you only had one centre back and exposed this on the attack or something else?

Oh sorry, of course!

What I concluded was that the center back in position as a Sweeper closed the ball down in the 2/3 slide to quickly, and in doing so left the space you see open between the LB and CB.

Other than that, the defensive system of playing three sweepers like this worked fine in the context that I wanted to use. There seems such more mobility and freedom in position in the right and left sweeper that you don't see when playing left and right backs in a wide back three. Prime example being in the first slide, you'd never see a regular wide back three move so compact to mark two forwards like that.

7611630876_00467733a8_b.jpg

1. You'll see that the defensive positioning of the three sweepers becomes what you'd expect to see from a regular back three in the first slide - with a back three of Gibbs, Varane and Corchia, positioning themselves to defend 2 vs. 3 against the QPR strikers.

2. Here the back three move wider as Surman brings the ball forward, whilst the DM Alex Song moves over the close him down.

3. As Surman is able to play the ball inside to Cisse it's clear that what once was a compact back three has moved far too wide. Cisse is able to quickly move the ball inside again before Varane is able to make the tackle, where the left full back is isolated in a 2v1 situation.

4. Due Varane's willingness to close the ball, it's left a big space from which Zamora can move into and have a free shot on goal, and score from.

Ideally in this situation, I'd have wanted my central sweeper to really hold his position and wait for a much better time to challenge. Maybe this is down to too higher closing-down, I think that was the case; either way his positioning and willingness to defend the ground would have been crucial to stopping what once was a solid back 3 become so isolated.

That's all I have to say from that game, hopefully such ramblings can be of a talking point. I shall try a tweak the closing down of the defenders, and may report back any findings. May load up a fresh save to play around with, but will more than likely carry of with the Arsenal side I've grown attached too.

Anything else on how this sort of defence plays I'll be happily enough post up images of :)

I used to play something very simliar to this but due to the limitations of the ME had to revert to using 2 DMC's instead to help plug the problematic area - the space between defence and midfield when your DMC gets caught out of position out wide.

As you don't really have any natural width on the wings it is easier for him to get caught out due to how he'll drift wide to cut off danger which then leaves a huge hole in the middle which is demonstrated by your images. Personally if it was my set up I'd drop M'Vila or Ramsey back and use them as a 2nd DMC to ease the pressure.

You'll find it difficult using the default shape you do when you come up against a lone striker and a AMC. As the AMC will be in free space if what happens above in your screenshots happens again.

After reading this thread, I decided to experiment with it in my Barcelona save. Results have good as you'd expect with Barca but in the six games I've played so far we have averaged 73% possession and scored at least 4 goals in each game while conceding once. I have done something different though from the OP so I hope you dont mind me writing in here, my formation is as follows:

FCBarcelonaTactics_Overview-3.png

I tucked the 'fullbacks' into the centre and alternate the most central defender between a ball playing stopper and a libero depending on the makeup of the opposition forwards. I find it plays like Barca IRL with the two CB's and Busquets slightly ahead with the full backs pushed on rpoviding the width overlapping the wide forwards. The rest of the team explains itself.

A fantastic thread and something I never would have even considered using!

After reading this thread, I decided to experiment with it in my Barcelona save. Results have good as you'd expect with Barca but in the six games I've played so far we have averaged 73% possession and scored at least 4 goals in each game while conceding once. I have done something different though from the OP so I hope you dont mind me writing in here, my formation is as follows:

I tucked the 'fullbacks' into the centre and alternate the most central defender between a ball playing stopper and a libero depending on the makeup of the opposition forwards. I find it plays like Barca IRL with the two CB's and Busquets slightly ahead with the full backs pushed on rpoviding the width overlapping the wide forwards. The rest of the team explains itself.

A fantastic thread and something I never would have even considered using!

Nice work there, I like the look of that set up! Shall have a play around with the two sweepers and center back, and see how they work.

Only really used this set-up as a means to provide even more passing options and effectiveness to dominate the opposition, but willing and intending to test it out with a tad more license for goals in future.

How do you find the three of those center backs working?

Glad you've found this thread a good read, and thanks :)

Nice work there, I like the look of that set up! Shall have a play around with the two sweepers and center back, and see how they work.

Only really used this set-up as a means to provide even more passing options and effectiveness to dominate the opposition, but willing and intending to test it out with a tad more license for goals in future.

How do you find the three of those center backs working?

Glad you've found this thread a good read, and thanks :)

Seems to play similar to the RL Barca although we've just been beat by Athletic and their crazy formation!

Certainly seems to be plenty of goals scored but thats expected with Barca!

The two sweepers split wide enough for passing options, even more so if I use the 'hug touchline' option, still concerned about when I play Madrid as I think they'll just run through the defence. Might consider using a DM as well as the sweepers and centre back.

Would be interesting for somebody to try that not playing as Barca, I would but I currentlydont have the players available. I like the idea though, although whenever ive used sweepers in the past they have never ever worked as expected.

When ever I shall run any experiments with it it'll be with Arsenal, although very similar in quality of personnel now a few years on.

I think the sweepers in essence become center backs that are a lot more mobile in terms of splitting and moving wide. Shall have a play around with a back four of sweepers this evening if I can due to me reaching another pre-season.

Pre-season 14/15 with Arsenal, and have decided I shall be running with the sweepers for the forthcoming season. The overall system will look to keep the ball and control the game, but will hope to engineer a good few chances per game where I can.

So far have carried on from what I've posted further up, but this time added an extra few lisences to create - more running with the ball, lots of through balls from some players etc. etc. Also toyed so far with playing two up front with Cavani partnering Damiao for the second 45mins of the PSG friendly below.

Something I do like the idea of, but yet to even experiment, is the interchanging and tactical swapping positions of various players in my midfield and attack. I've got this vision in my head of creating some sort of total football, where I have eight front players all adept at interchanging within each others positions and swapping. Now that wouldn't be too feesable, as I haven't an abundance of super players that can hold midfield as well as play up top - but what I'd like to play around with is having maybe a front six or seven that could swap and change positions with each other - with my DM at the base in front of my back three of sweepers. As of yet I don't have too many players, not a whole side yet of players that can play in every position I'd be thinking of, but I do have say Oxlade-Chamberlain who can play anywhere from CM to ST, Van Persie who I'd like to make some use of, he can play just about anywhere in the forward line, Jack Wilshere and Thiago are both adept central midfielders and attacking/insides forwards. So if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be interested to hear?

In terms of making the sweeper system first used a season ago a viable, well rounded system, I looked to have made a promising start in my latest friendly below;

7639156586_dc9fa6293c_b.jpg

7639157640_44494231d5_b.jpg

*Cavani (left striker) on for Thiago (point of midfield diamond, amc) for second half

Against a fair opposition I managed to create enough chances and dominate the game in a way that should have seen the score line a lot more resounding. PSG managed to score early on before I could gain control in the game through a long shot from Pastore. Ever since then I passed the ball well, as you would expect from such domination in terms of possession, but certain changes to garner more of an attacking threat came to fruition - making six clear cut chances, four of which an off-color Damiao managed to mess up.

Next up will be a big test, Manchester City in the Community Shield. I expect them to play with a narrow, three attacking midfield 4-2-3-1, so I shall either exceed in dominating in numbers in their half where they will have four players camped waiting to counter, or struggle against their forward line in my up until now relatively untested back line system. I shall start of the game with just the one DM, but depending on how the game is going and I will reserve the option to move M'Vila and perhaps Ramsey back to form two/three DMs.

vs. Man City - Community Shield

7639827090_7310dd31e1_b.jpg

The first acid test of this system now, and it would appear to have passed with flying colors. Man City, as expected set out with a narrow 4-2-3-1, which meant plenty of midfield space to control and equally enough space for the full backs to provide wide options from the crowded middle made up from my DM-CM-CM-AM-AM-AM combination. I selected Walcott for this game when ordinarily I'd have opted for Wilshere to play centrally. Walcott started as an AM, but was moved out wide to make a LW-AM-AM combination, this allowed me to give license for Corchia at right sweeper to bomb forward down the right, and really stretch Man City when in attack. Other changes were made in the game, seeing M'Vila drop back to DM as Man City rallied, but this move saw me take affirm my dominance as a rather nice double pivot was formed with Song, allowing me to just pass the game out with little threat coming from City.

Regarding the back three, they performed as expected. As you can see from the amount of interceptions made in defence, correlated with the intercepted passes made from Man City below. Saying that, stats don't lie, and Man City had their fair share of efforts on goal, a large amount coming from the head of Dzeko at corners, but still I'll consider myself fortunate not to concede. Anyway, that was against the toughest team I'll face domestically this season, so boads well for the games against smaller opposition.

7639828196_b50e941df5_z.jpg

7639903696_092df58a0a_z.jpg

Above I've tried to piece together an image to help explain what I think, or I believe to be the differences, in my experiences of how three sweepers will play, as opposed to three defenders.

In the image shown, I've tried to depict a typical scenario where the opposition will look to exploit the space behind the defence when playing a high line. I always like to play quick defenders to maximise the advantage I have over an opposing forward in these circumstances, even if it's as simple as it coming down to a foot race to the ball. But saying that, this sort of ball will be played quite regularly, either a speculative clearance, or a seeking pass quite often through a game.

In this situation, previously I've found a CB in the same position as shown of the SW will get caught too tight to the opposing forward, no matter what marking instructions given. This therefore allows for a wider angle of the defense behind to be covered, even with the help of the LB and RB. What I've found to happen when played with sweepers in these positions is that they are a lot more aware of the area behind them, than the striker in front. Here in this situation, the SW will see the AM play the ball, and already be defending the pass, instead of chasing with the forward to the ball.

I've marked the right and full backs as ordinary RB and LB, but their positions are technically right back sweeper, and left back SW. With these players also playing as sweepers, I've found them a lot more aware of any danger centrally than any LB or RB would be. Example being below; the two full backs with operate in a pivot motion depending on what side of the central sweeper the ball is, and the danger of exposed space by a through ball behind. Here I've shown the right back coming in behind to clear away the danger. What the difference here I believe, and have seen when compared to a normal right back, would be that the RB would have a tenancy to mark the player, meaning he would then have to chase the striker to the ball, even if he had a head start, rather than being acutely aware of sweeping away the danger that is being played behind his partner anyway.

7639972310_8219226787_z.jpg

Still playing FM11, didn't actually try it out yet, but made a few tactics with sweepers. I understood that the back-three consists of SWCC + SWL and SWR instead of SWCC + SWCL and SWCR, is this correct? I'm asking because I noticed that all my defenders were 'red' when I placed them to SWLR positions. Is this changed for FM12 or are you forced to play the defenders out of position?

DBurns's back four seems interesting. Going to try that out too.

Still playing FM11, didn't actually try it out yet, but made a few tactics with sweepers. I understood that the back-three consists of SWCC + SWL and SWR instead of SWCC + SWCL and SWCR, is this correct? I'm asking because I noticed that all my defenders were 'red' when I placed them to SWLR positions. Is this changed for FM12 or are you forced to play the defenders out of position?

DBurns's back four seems interesting. Going to try that out too.

Yeah, I refer to them as 'right back' and 'left back' but they would technically be seen as SWR and SWL. A wide back three, so SWr, SWc and SWl.

Yeah, I refer to them as 'right back' and 'left back' but they would technically be seen as SWR and SWL. A wide back three, so SWr, SWc and SWl.

Forgot to mention.. I've retrained last seasons center backs (Varane, Song, Vermaelen, Bartley) all to play at sweeper, but anyone played at the right or left back sweepers are reds as you can't seem to train players to play as a sweeper-back :/

Would be interesting for somebody to try that not playing as Barca, I would but I currentlydont have the players available. I like the idea though, although whenever ive used sweepers in the past they have never ever worked as expected.

Going to try and implement this with Ghana as I'm also managing them. Should work okay as they have mobile centre backs and quality midfielders, although they're lacking in the wing back area so may have to reconsider on that front.

When ever I shall run any experiments with it it'll be with Arsenal, although very similar in quality of personnel now a few years on.

I think the sweepers in essence become center backs that are a lot more mobile in terms of splitting and moving wide. Shall have a play around with a back four of sweepers this evening if I can due to me reaching another pre-season.

Seems to be working very well. keep it going! :thup:

Going to try and implement this with Ghana as I'm also managing them. Should work okay as they have mobile centre backs and quality midfielders, although they're lacking in the wing back area so may have to reconsider on that front.

Seems to be working very well. keep it going! :thup:

Thanks, seems to have grown into a more wholesome thread born out of no more than a query into whether others have tried this with sweepers.

Keep us posted how you get on with Ghana. You don't necessarily need excellent wing backs I'd say. In the set up I have I allow both full backs playing at sweeper the option of forward runs, which invariably his taken when the opportunity arises. But if these forward runs are restricted, I've found them willing to hold position on the half way line, in line with the central sweeper, and only occasionally venturing forward from there - far from hunting for the by-line.

-----------------------------------------------

7640202994_4df3f02ebe_c.jpg

I don't intend on posting following every game played, only if I seem something in the analyses that I can highlight (although I'd like to do a series of in play SS showing examples of the sweepers in action at some point, but my first game of the season I can use as the standard I'd wish to aspire to week in week out. As you can see, a resounding 4-0, complete with +80% possession, and below some high passing stats. For me, I'm a bit of a geek, and really get some sort of satisfaction when I can reach the 100 pass mark for a player, especially the playmaker in the side. Something that alluded me for so long towards the end of FM11 and start of 12, now comes quite readily, but rarely accompanied with a 4-0 win.

Another clean sheet from my defence, accompanied with such dominance means they rarely have to do much, but deal with speculative through balls - of which they perform to a tee, and offer passing options. They camp so high up the field, I've got a holding midfielder in my sweeper Varane.

In this game, I allowed lots of forward runs from Gibbs and Corchia at left back and right respectively, so they really got forward, pinned Sunderland back and offered important width - something that reflects in the number of passes they reached. Generally only one would really get forward at a time, usually if the ball was down the left, Gibbs would be up supporting the AM who had moved into the channel, whilst Corchia on the other side would hold fire just inside the half. When forward, Alex Song the dm played an important role by filling in these gaps, in effect becoming a defender - something I thought was particularly useful - even if it was to just intercept and head balls from Sunderland clearances.

7640203838_fc2eee5bbf_c.jpg

Thanks, seems to have grown into a more wholesome thread born out of no more than a query into whether others have tried this with sweepers.

Keep us posted how you get on with Ghana. You don't necessarily need excellent wing backs I'd say. In the set up I have I allow both full backs playing at sweeper the option of forward runs, which invariably his taken when the opportunity arises. But if these forward runs are restricted, I've found them willing to hold position on the half way line, in line with the central sweeper, and only occasionally venturing forward from there - far from hunting for the by-line.

-----------------------------------------------

7640202994_4df3f02ebe_c.jpg

I don't intend on posting following every game played, only if I seem something in the analyses that I can highlight (although I'd like to do a series of in play SS showing examples of the sweepers in action at some point, but my first game of the season I can use as the standard I'd wish to aspire to week in week out. As you can see, a resounding 4-0, complete with +80% possession, and below some high passing stats. For me, I'm a bit of a geek, and really get some sort of satisfaction when I can reach the 100 pass mark for a player, especially the playmaker in the side. Something that alluded me for so long towards the end of FM11 and start of 12, now comes quite readily, but rarely accompanied with a 4-0 win.

Another clean sheet from my defence, accompanied with such dominance means they rarely have to do much, but deal with speculative through balls - of which they perform to a tee, and offer passing options. They camp so high up the field, I've got a holding midfielder in my sweeper Varane.

In this game, I allowed lots of forward runs from Gibbs and Corchia at left back and right respectively, so they really got forward, pinned Sunderland back and offered important width - something that reflects in the number of passes they reached. Generally only one would really get forward at a time, usually if the ball was down the left, Gibbs would be up supporting the AM who had moved into the channel, whilst Corchia on the other side would hold fire just inside the half. When forward, Alex Song the dm played an important role by filling in these gaps, in effect becoming a defender - something I thought was particularly useful - even if it was to just intercept and head balls from Sunderland clearances.

7640203838_fc2eee5bbf_c.jpg

My full backs provide my width though as I'm using two central sweepers that split wide remember!

But wow at the passing stats of your wide sweepers! Do you use them as 'Sweeper' or 'Libero' and any instructions you've changed?

My full backs provide my width though as I'm using two central sweepers that split wide remember!

But wow at the passing stats of your wide sweepers! Do you use them as 'Sweeper' or 'Libero' and any instructions you've changed?

Ahh, I see.. I didn't get round to testing with 4 sweepers making a back four, so couldn't tell you exactly how they play in terms of them splitting - perhaps they may not due to the space already being used by the full backs. Will be interesting to hear..

I use classic rather than the tactics creator, but here is the instructions I use for the wide sweepers - I tweak their forward runs in game from 'sometimes' to often, depending on the dominance I have on the game, the positioning of the amcr/l - sometimes I'll move one as a winger to the LW and push the RB up with lots of forward runs.

7640341218_266f124750_c.jpg

Currently on the look out for new additions to the side, it's nearing end of the Transfer window and haven't brought anyone, so I have some funds burning holes in my pockets. Don't really know who I can add as I more than happy with starting XI.

I want to get my ST more involved in the game, to trying to get him to drop of and get involved - so possibly a new forward of that ilk could come in. That would see Paloschi scrapped, who struggles for games as it is, and probably Damiao too. I've put speculative bids in for Wayne Rooney and Mesut Ozil, and see how I get on.

Pretty similar to my settings. And like you, I tweak the forward runs and their marking depending on the opposition and especially the makeup of their forward line.

FCBarcelonaTactics_PlayerInstructions.png

I like to have my whole side on a very lose zonal marking set up. I find it allows the sweepers to find their own way in terms of picking up strikers, and the rest of the team to keep some sort of shape when pressing heavily.

I've found, although no concrete evidence that 'roaming' work well when wanting these players to move around, especially in your case with them splitting wide. May be worth ticking for a game and observing how it works; I always have mine ticked, but may cause adverse defensive positioning, I'm not too sure - it's working fine for me so far.