Emergency Goalkeeper

This is why I've gotten into a habit of keeping two senior goalkeepers - and although the backup one isn't the same class as my main, I play him in enough games that he stays happy. Useful to have him available too as my main one had a two-month injury once.

Most EPL and similar level teams will have three, but I'd only do that if I was maintaining a full reserve team - and I never do in practise.

I always keep a stable of young goalies that serve as a back up to my starter or starters in the reserves or u-18. The idea being to either sell my starter for a duffle of money. Or once the young player starts demanding first team, sell him for a bag of cash and 50% future fee.

I always try to have a loaned keeper in my squad anyway. Loaned players don't complain about not getting playing time, so it means I can stick with my first choice keeper and I won't be screwed if he gets injured.

I've only ever kept one keeper at my clubs. Knock on wood ive never had a long term injury. sometimes a few days that a greyed out regen would come in for a game or two or I would use one of my U18 keepers.

Archived