MLS Save Help

Allocation money is pretty much your transfer budget, yes. Shouldn't be a big concern after the first year or so and you start dumping players. You can milk easy money from the other MLS clubs by offering them your unwanted players or ones that you plan on cutting at registration day.

I presume they will take anybody and everybody off your hands then :p I suppose in the MLS its easier to get rid of unwanted players because you can just dump them in the picks. Have I got that right?

Ah, yes when I started the save in the MLS poor Steve Zakauni is injured with a double broken leg. (Youtube it and turn the sound up)

I understood the ruling on long term injured players not having to be registered but didnt realise that would change my salary cap etc.

What I mean is literally on the day the game prompted me to confirm my registered players it said I was under my cap then i confirmed this and continued to the next day and thought id just check the registered players screen as I noticed you can still add remove players after this point and my salary cap was about £2,700 over even though Id not released or signed anyone else.

Im assuming then its something to do with my long term injured player. He wasnt showing up in the cap before the register day because I could neither register or not register him. Then after the deadline passes im responsible for paying his wages still? Is this correct? Seems a bit odd as makes planning a squad difficult as you have to remember to add his wage to what ever the game says your current cap is.

Like you pointed out helpfully Id already adjusted the budget as I had over £170k in allocation funds so im now just under my cap again and able to submit my team. Dont want to leave it to my assistant as unhelpful people have suggested on other forums.

Really enjoying the MLS save so far. Really is a different challenge to anything ive faced on Football Manager before. Although my wheeler dealer trades in true Redknapp style have worked a little too well it seems. First two games have passed and I dominated LA Galaxy 3-0 limiting them to 1 shot....then traveled to New York to play the Red Bulls and spanked them 7-0 in there back yard. Ive got a whole load of 1st round super draft picks too though ive not experienced a superdraft yet obviously and some people have said on here there a waste of time but I hope to pick up some decent youngsters atleast. I worry about depth of the squad though. The rules and limits make it hard unless you want really poor back up.

Also in reply to jimbobs previous question im no expert in the MLS yet but I have not failed at getting rid of any players I dont want. Seems to be a bug or something.

Every player ive deemed not good enough for my squad ive simply used the offer to MLS clubs and ive always had instant replies offering me usually superdraft or supplemental draft picks for the coming season or ones following.

Ive heard from many that supplemental draft picks are pretty pointless as most talents already snapped up. So when ever a team offers me a supplemental draft pick i try negotiate the deal which usually results in that team pulling out or just offering there original offer. Heres a tip though, withdraw if they do this then straight away offer again to MLS clubs and they suddenly offer something different sometimes. I got rid of all my substandard players and now have a awesome squad as well as 3 1st round superdraft picks for the following season.

I was desperate to obtain an extra International spot but could not get any clubs to take one of my players in exchange for one, even for just a 1 year INT spot trade. Then suddenly out of the blue one club made an approach for one of my worse centre backs offering a 2013 1st round supplemental draft pick plus a 5 YEAR international spot. Safe to say I accepted that offer!

Another little tip ive found from my first ever try at MLS, if your struggling to stay under your salary cap you can trade allocation money with your board to increase the cap slightly. If however your low on allocation funds try offering players you dont require out to non MLS clubs. Ive managed to get a fair few players off my books for decent money because scandinavian clubs seem to love signing my players for a good 250-500k. Obviously the MLS take a % of the transfer fee though but still an easy way to make a profit with players you dont plan on using.

Also in reply to jimbobs previous question im no expert in the MLS yet but I have not failed at getting rid of any players I dont want. Seems to be a bug or something.

Every player ive deemed not good enough for my squad ive simply used the offer to MLS clubs and ive always had instant replies offering me usually superdraft or supplemental draft picks for the coming season or ones following.

Ive heard from many that supplemental draft picks are pretty pointless as most talents already snapped up. So when ever a team offers me a supplemental draft pick i try negotiate the deal which usually results in that team pulling out or just offering there original offer. Heres a tip though, withdraw if they do this then straight away offer again to MLS clubs and they suddenly offer something different sometimes. I got rid of all my substandard players and now have a awesome squad as well as 3 1st round superdraft picks for the following season.

I was desperate to obtain an extra International spot but could not get any clubs to take one of my players in exchange for one, even for just a 1 year INT spot trade. Then suddenly out of the blue one club made an approach for one of my worse centre backs offering a 2013 1st round supplemental draft pick plus a 5 YEAR international spot. Safe to say I accepted that offer!

Another little tip ive found from my first ever try at MLS, if your struggling to stay under your salary cap you can trade allocation money with your board to increase the cap slightly. If however your low on allocation funds try offering players you dont require out to non MLS clubs. Ive managed to get a fair few players off my books for decent money because scandinavian clubs seem to love signing my players for a good 250-500k. Obviously the MLS take a % of the transfer fee though but still an easy way to make a profit with players you dont plan on using.

Cheers mate :) really helpful that, Im still trying to get my head round all these draft picks and supplementary picks etc etc. I am starting to understand it though.

Your not alone. Im only two games in, but took time to learn the rules a little bit and its helped no end as the game isnt always straight forward. Ive not experienced a superdraft or supplemental draft yet but was in a waiver draft in which not one team picked a player so that seemed pretty pointless lol!

This has really been enjoyable as in all the years and years of playing football manager (previously champ manager) ive only ever really done games in england, italy, spain & as international teams. Doing an MLS save has been a unique an challenging experience and glad I decided to do it after reading some topics on this site.

Your not alone. Im only two games in, but took time to learn the rules a little bit and its helped no end as the game isnt always straight forward. Ive not experienced a superdraft or supplemental draft yet but was in a waiver draft in which not one team picked a player so that seemed pretty pointless lol!

This has really been enjoyable as in all the years and years of playing football manager (previously champ manager) ive only ever really done games in england, italy, spain & as international teams. Doing an MLS save has been a unique an challenging experience and glad I decided to do it after reading some topics on this site.

Yeah same, Ive only really been playing since FM09 but this is the most enjoyment ive had out of the game yet. Really do have to think about who your buying, how much they will cost etc etc.

Yeah I had a waiver draft and the same thing happened, nobody picked anybody. To be fair every choice of player was absoloutelyawful so not really surprising. When do the Super/Supplementary drafts come around?

Far as I know its after season ends so January 2012 on your current game id assume.

Basically the best youngsters coming out of college football.

I just entered a weighted lottery for youngster. All happened so fast so dont really know alot about it.Got a message saying I have a chance to enter a weighted lottery for 1 youngster who was a regen (looked really good for his age). Wasnt like the waiver draft though. I simply had to click whether I wanted to enter it then I was informed that i didnt win it a few days later.

I quite enjoy the draft and trading nature of the MLS. Makes for more excitement. For example Colorado are the current champs but as is the trend of the MLS there doing utterly awful in my current season. I managed to sign people that had only just joined another team and visa versa I signed a good ukraine left back but then I found a v.good U.S left back and got him and traded my only recently signed left back to someone else.

Left Winger Brad Davis is someone I highly rec.

Left Back Heath Pearce is another.

Ike Opara is a youngster I hope becomes a very good U.S centre back in the future. (generation adidas too so dont pay his wages)

Managed to get Crespo. Although 35 years old finishing and heading wise hes amazing. Only plan on keeping him a year as i expect him to decline over the season but got him dead cheap wages wise.

Far as I know its after season ends so January 2012 on your current game id assume.

Basically the best youngsters coming out of college football.

I just entered a weighted lottery for youngster. All happened so fast so dont really know alot about it.Got a message saying I have a chance to enter a weighted lottery for 1 youngster who was a regen (looked really good for his age). Wasnt like the waiver draft though. I simply had to click whether I wanted to enter it then I was informed that i didnt win it a few days later.

I quite enjoy the draft and trading nature of the MLS. Makes for more excitement. For example Colorado are the current champs but as is the trend of the MLS there doing utterly awful in my current season. I managed to sign people that had only just joined another team and visa versa I signed a good ukraine left back but then I found a v.good U.S left back and got him and traded my only recently signed left back to someone else.

Left Winger Brad Davis is someone I highly rec.

Left Back Heath Pearce is another.

Ike Opara is a youngster I hope becomes a very good U.S centre back in the future. (generation adidas too so dont pay his wages)

Managed to get Crespo. Although 35 years old finishing and heading wise hes amazing. Only plan on keeping him a year as i expect him to decline over the season but got him dead cheap wages wise.

Yeah I entered a weighted lottery for my 15yr DR who is a first team challenger already. I think it means everyone who would like to sign him goes in for him and then he picks where he wants to go. Thats how I see it anyway.

Yeah definitly, Im looking forward to my second season to see if I can hold my position at the top end of the league. I think due to the AI's lack of squad building ability it shouldnt be too difficult. But anything could happen. Crespos not a bad signing, can imagine he grabbed a fair few goals?

Cheers for the reccomendations, Ill have a look into that :)

I think I got Shea Allen through a weighted lottery, one of my best Americans. Not won one since.

Wiki says:

Weighted lottery

Some players are assigned to MLS teams via a weighted lottery process. A team can only acquire one player per year through a weighted lottery. The players made available through lotteries include: (i) Generation adidas players signed after the MLS SuperDraft; and (ii) Draft eligible players to whom an MLS contract was offered but who failed to sign with the League prior to the SuperDraft.

The team with the worst record over its last 30 regular season games (dating back to previous season if necessary and taking playoff performance into account) will have the greatest probability of winning the lottery. Teams are not required to participate in a lottery. Players are assigned via the lottery system in order to prevent a player from potentially influencing his destination club with a strategic holdout.

src

Struggle to understand various aspects of MLS but do enjoy it.

However I had an allocation of about 200k but was able to buy a player for 1.4mil, can anyone shed any light or is it just the fact I am LA Galaxy and have plenty of funds in the bank?

Weighted lottery:

I've raised the issue with SI that we need to be given time to scout players that are made available in the weighted lottery. Lotteries actually occur very rarely in real life, but the game is programmed to happen three or four times a year.

[q]However I had an allocation of about 200k but was able to buy a player for 1.4mil, can anyone shed any light or is it just the fact I am LA Galaxy and have plenty of funds in the bank? [/q]

Check your season budget. You may have extra cash than just your allocation money amount, so that may explain why you were able to pull that off.

Ahhh right so its easy enough to sign them :)

I play him up top as a DLF, so it almost is an AMC, he drops deep links up well with Donavan and scores his fair share of goals. Whats it like for attracting players like Lampard, Gerrard etc. Big European players who would come over to finish their careers? Have you signed anyone big?

I actually managed to pick up a 29 yr old Torres from chelsea who is banging them in after a couple of injury lay offs, the problem being that to get him I have to pay him £78k a week and £30k a goal!! and as I have said he is banging them in

Scouts will do a search for players who may come as a designated player and Torres was on this list

Archived