Sports Interactive Community
Icelander83

Icelander's Tactical Masterclass! Now including Part 4 - Internazionale 3 at the back

Hello lovely people :) Don't pay too much heed to the title of the thread, I am hardly qualified to preach to the masses about how something should be done in this game. However, I have decided to start a little series of videos where I go through the no nonsense way I try to make my tactics in FM12. I don't have the need for any fancy theories nor do I feel the urge to use any match engine exploit (if I hit one of those at some stage I can assure you it's accidental).

Video four is here, taking on something entirely different. Internazionale have probably the best squad with which to play three at the back so I take on the challenge and play a 3-5-2 with a sweeper!

[video=youtube;isw10CsDnis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isw10CsDnis&feature=g-upl

link if embedded video is not showing for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isw10CsDnis&feature=g-upl

Older videos:

001 - Aston Villa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOerdwlpUnE&feature=g-upl

002 - Dortmund - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtwIKOV0XI&feature=g-upl

003 - Tottenham - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzxaIYyWZLE&feature=g-upl

Do you want to help with the making of these videos? Send your tactics/suggestions to fmicelander83@gmail.com. Remember that in my videos I have the squads as they start so tactics made with specific signings don't work for this series.

An excellent idea Icelander, at work at the moment so I cant watch the video but I will do tonight when I get home :D

Just tell your boss you have more important things to do at the moment than your job, soon enough you'll have all the time in the world without that pesky job getting in the way ;)

Just tell your boss you have more important things to do at the moment than your job, soon enough you'll have all the time in the world without that pesky job getting in the way ;)

What an excellent idea sir ;) who needs jobs anyway :p

Great idea. You sound Welsh :)

Err... Thank you? :D No idea whether I should be happy or insulted by that :p At least it's probably a step up from 'you sound like a robot' which I heard a lot when I first started :D

`Two very dominant centrebacks, with two pretty **** fullbacks.` I lolled.

No no, it's that wonderful Icelandic accent made popular by Björk and Jónsi. :D

Great video, btw. :thup:

:eek: That's harsh man!

I think you nailed it when you identified that Villa have slow but otherwise very competent defenders with very fast strikers. This alone means you need to limit the space in behind your defence while maximizing the space in behind the opposition's defence. Unless a team is absolutely broken from the outset - there are surely a few - there is usually a way to play with every team that will yield some kind of success.

Exactly, and that's what I'm going to be exploring in these videos. There is a temptation that I've seen from so many to play their brand of football, no matter what team they are managing. Simply put, with most teams that approach is not going to work unless you are lucky with the team you've picked. For example, managing Villa and putting up a high d-line and trying to play tiki-taka just isn't going to work unless you're up against league 2 teams in the league cup.

Exactly, and that's what I'm going to be exploring in these videos. There is a temptation that I've seen from so many to play their brand of football, no matter what team they are managing. Simply put, with most teams that approach is not going to work unless you are lucky with the team you've picked. For example, managing Villa and putting up a high d-line and trying to play tiki-taka just isn't going to work unless you're up against league 2 teams in the league cup.

Im guilty :( trying to play without a striker, possesion football with Monaco is well, how can I put it.... not how it did with Arsenal :p. Im determined to keep plugging away at it though, I will make it work :p

Im guilty :( trying to play without a striker, possesion football with Monaco is well, how can I put it.... not how it did with Arsenal :p. Im determined to keep plugging away at it though, I will make it work :p

I'm guessing you will be going crazy when the transfer window opens then :p

Been out all day so didn't get to PM you back to say I'd watched it.

I enjoyed it nicely done as always like the rest of your videos.

Welcome to the dark side btw :D

Does the dark side have cookies?

Toblerone cookies

Top video. I'm a bit guilty of trying to force a system out of players that probably aren't capable of it so it's good to see that you have set things up to make the most out of what is a limited squad. :thup:

Oh my... If I'd known about that I would have been here ages ago!

:D

Any plans on if you will ever create a squad building video? Highlighting how you'd build a squad and got them playing a certain style over time, say like 10 seasons or so?

That's a possibility for the future, for sure. Would take me some time to put it together as it does require quite a bit of thought and planning, not to mention a team with a bit of cash if there are many changes that need to be made

That's a possibility for the future, for sure. Would take me some time to put it together as it does require quite a bit of thought and planning, not to mention a team with a bit of cash if there are many changes that need to be made

I've no idea who you play as normally (I'm lying I do really ) but if you played with someone without money you can still squad build it just takes time. Even with a team who have endless money it takes just as much time because you have to develop and retrain them to play how you want.

Wish I had more time, I'm full of ideas. I'll send them all your way :D

Hello lovely people :) Don't pay too much heed to the title of the thread, I am hardly qualified to preach to the masses about how something should be done in this game. However, I have decided to start a little series of videos where I go through the no nonsense way I try to make my tactics in FM12. I don't have the need for any fancy theories nor do I feel the urge to use any match engine exploit (if I hit one of those at some stage I can assure you it's accidental).

So, with that out of the way I've finished the first video where I took a look at Aston Villa and made a tactic that I feel can hold its own against most teams, home or away. This is done without having made any transfers so using only the players available at the start of the game (yes, even Hutton *shudders*).

Without further ado:

[video=youtube;qOerdwlpUnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOerdwlpUnE&feature=g-upl

I may come off a bit unorganised (if not, you probably didn't watch the video ;)) but I'll make excuses about me being sick and thus a bit more scatter-brained than usual

Of course any feedback is more than welcome :)

How do get video. I could not find a link on the post to view the video

It's embedded in the post, is it not showing up for you? I'll edit the direct link into the OP in a second, check again :)

I'm guessing you will be going crazy when the transfer window opens then :p

Yes that is usually my approach ;) I do try and bring youths through, just usually make a couple of big signings

Nice work Icelander,

I've been talking about a video and this lovely little piece has inspired me to get cracking and produce some more stuff!

Great work and should help loads of people who want to taste trying to make there own tactic and what they could do to try and get the best out of there players and also highlights why you need the right players for a system and the right system for your players to get the best out of them.

I'll happily copy that - really good idea to do the videos :)

It a fantastic idea, would love to watch some vids of your matches, would be good to hear your thoughts on how a match was going why it may be going wrong how you may change things ext ext.

Hope you feel better soon, any chance of doing one for tottenham?

Certainly, they have a rather interesting team to play with :)

It a fantastic idea, would love to watch some vids of your matches, would be good to hear your thoughts on how a match was going why it may be going wrong how you may change things ext ext.
This is exact idea, just trying to figure out the technicals and find an hour or 2 and it'll be done!

Great stuff, more please.

Also can we have more swearing please as your accent made me find it amusing in a very childish way :D

Great stuff, more please.

Also can we have more swearing please as your accent made me find it amusing in a very childish way :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was quite funny. And I agree, more please! :D

I have started on a new one, might take a while due to getting sicker and yet having to work a whole hell of a lot over the weekend :(

I have started on a new one, might take a while due to getting sicker and yet having to work a whole hell of a lot over the weekend :(

Please, please, please can you mention the physio? Just throw it in there for randomness :D

Really enjoyed that video. I think I shall go over my team and see if there are any changes I could make to improve my tactics! I look forward to the next video and hopefully this becomes a nice little series to enjoy.

Video number two is now up and ready for viewing. This time I head to Germany and take over one of the most exciting teams in the game, Dortmund.

[video=youtube;YKtwIKOV0XI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtwIKOV0XI&feature=g-upl

link if embedded video is not showing for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtwIKOV0XI&feature=g-upl

As I mention at the end of the video, I am going to be really busy over the next few weeks so I'm asking for your input and help. Send me your tactics, thoughts or suggestions and help me make the videos faster so I'll be able to upload some while I'm busy. Any tactic welcome for any team. Just try and make the emails a bit detailed, explaining why you've made the tactic or why you are suggesting something.

Doesn't matter if it's a wacky 3-7-0 formation or a 4-4-2 with a little&large combo upfront, anything goes!

The email address is: fmicelander83@gmail.com

Thanks in advance to those who send something in :)

Sounds like you have a hatred for full backs. First Alan Hutton and now Dortmund's full backs. Is any full back safe? :D

Roma's Jose Angel :*) And you can't draw any conclusions from me hating on Hutton ffs, he's diabolical and nothing but a thug irl! :D

He was injured from the start. It's much of a muchness either way and as Löwe was performing well enough I didn't see a point in swapping them when the team was doing well and winning games

He was injured from the start. It's much of a muchness either way and as Löwe was performing well enough I didn't see a point in swapping them when the team was doing well and winning games

Ah right, fair enough.

Can we open a debate about the weanesses off Santana?

Because his physical stats are great indeed, but he lacks concentration, composure, decisions and positioning. :-)

Its been a while since i contributed on this forums, however i felt i had to praise your efforts Icelander83, top stuff.

KUTGW :applause:

@ Icelander83 - Yay! you gave the fullbacks some love :p

I really like idea of a video series and I have watched all 3 so far. What I like about them is that you keep things nice and simple and they are also very beginner friendly, it will definitely give confidence to newcomers to try and create a tactic themselves and by sticking to your general outlay, will provide a functional and probably successful tactic.

KUTGW :thup:

Like I said, I don't hate on them unless they deserve it ;)

I'm trying really hard to keep the tactics as simple as possible without just using default tactics. I think the Dortmund and Tottenham ones especially show that you don't need to delve into the minute on the sliders.

The next one will be a bit more adventurous! But then it's back to basics :p