England vs Italy - Sunday 19:45

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't even begin to understand how gutted you guys have felt so many times. For the past 20+ years it has been a standing joke that England always looses on pens.

We just assume we will lose. Saves time

How can they be 'horrible defensively' with the number of clean sheets they've kept?

Just because they don't rely on having a load of 6'5" knuckle draggers at the back to form a human wall of flesh on the 18 yard line, doesn't mean they are incapable of defending. They just defend in a different manner than we've really been used to seeing.

They defend by keeping the ball and wasting time..its boring to watch unless you are a Spain fan. I said I understand why they do it but its boring football. They are like the boxer who just wont mix it up with their opponents. Its ugly football IMO.

Cannot believe England, of all teams, are playing for penalties. To be fair to Hodgson, his substitutions have been reasonably forward-thinking: Walcott adding pace and directness instead of Milner's positional strengths and workrate, Carroll adding some heft and aerial power up front, Henderson generally more offensive (in all sorts of ways, boom boom) than Parker. This so-called defensive approach is entirely the result of England's complete inability to, you know, play football.

They defend by keeping the ball and wasting time..its boring to watch unless you are a Spain fan. I said I understand why they do it but its boring football. They are like the boxer who just wont mix it up with their opponents. Its ugly football IMO.

If the other team doesn't defend by putting eleven men behind the ball at all times, you'd see how amazing it is to see Spain play.

If the other team doesn't defend by putting eleven men behind the ball at all times, you'd see how amazing it is to see Spain play.

When you don't have the ball you have to put everyone behind the ball, and against Spain you very rarely have the ball. If you play into a teams hands they are going to look exciting.

If Spain would actually try to get the ball forward you would see how exposed their back 4 are by pacey forwards. Remember their losses in competitive matches to the USA and Switzerland? Speed killed em.

When you don't have the ball you have to put everyone behind the ball, and against Spain you very rarely have the ball. If you play into a teams hands they are going to look exciting.

So, another team doing what they have to do to win is fine but if Spain do the same, it's not fine?

Archived