Better than Brian Clough?

Northernpilgrim

You sure? Can't find any wiki mention of it but in his autobiography he talks of being given one of the youth sides for a tournament (which was won) in the late 70's, I think after being rejected for the main job in 77.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just dug out my copy of 'Walking on Water' (which I've had for ages and read a few times so I knew I wasn't imagining that bit being there). It's rather vague but mentioning him saying that they'd take anything they'd offer him, and being offered the chance to work with the youth team (doesn't say which), which was intended to be observational but him and Taylor much took over after being frustrated with the actual coach, Ken Burton, and the attitude of everyone being glad to reach the final when he gave them the belief to beat the fancied Russians, and giving it up after a year or so of 'making a point' but realizing it wasn't for them in the long term.

So probably not 'official' manager then but still called upon by the FA to be involved and being able to still manage the side for a bit.

I've taken the job with the obvious intention of putting myself in the shop window to take over when the current manager, Steve Bruce, decides he's had enough or gets sacked. He's just won the 2016 European Championship though, so might have to wait.

Thanks SRL88. The future for England doesn't look too bright, as despite the EC win, the U21 squad is very average. None of my current crop are rated as anything more than potentially average for the EPL. No stars, and no wonderkids either :(

We won't be going down this season! 40 points has been reached by sensationally beating Chelsea 2-1 at Pride Park, despite being reduced to 10 men (unfairly) after Simon Cox was given a second yellow for diving. Why would you dive when you're one on one with the keeper, ahead of the defender? It made no sense at the time, and I'll probably get a ban for what I'm about to say in the press conference.

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-12.png

Thanks SRL. Sadly we couldn't take advantage of being drawn against a Championship side, drawing the home leg 1-1, but getting battered 5-1 at Hillsborough, in what turned out to be our worst performance of the season. The win over Chelsea has taken us to what should be certain safety, but I'd like 1 more just to be certain.

Thanks HeadHunta. It's been fun, apart from the last few games at Hartlepool, when I was just marking time at a club I wouldn't have been able to take any further. Derby has been great, we had a tough season after promotion, getting relegated on the last day, but have secured survival well before the season's end this time. The obvious disappointment is the failure to qualify for the League Cup Final, getting pasted by a Championship team, and gifting them European football. I've managed to add quality in goal in terms of Ross Turnbull in the January window, and he's starting to look like as good a signing as Simon Cox was at the other end of the pitch.

Newcastle qualified for Europe by beating Sheff Wed in the League Cup final, by the same 5-1 score that we lost our Semi. I had taken for granted that Spurs would beat Newcastle in the semis, therefore handing the place to Wednesday. I was wrong, and Newcastle will be delighted with that.

The first player definitely leaving is Xisco, as he has requested (twice) a transfer. I accepted the request second time, and to be honest will accept any offer, as I can't have him disrupting my squad. If nobody bids, he'll be farmed to one of our feeder clubs.

I don't get it, as he's in the team. Admittedly he hasn't been first choice all season, but has played regularly recently, especially whilst Cox has been injured, and would have featured heavily next season, but if he doesn't want it, then fine, he can make a mug of another manager. I've ruthlessly binned players who either aren't good enough, or don't want to play, in the past, and will do it again. He first became unhappy when out of the team for a couple of months, but I've always kept faith with players unless given a reason not to. It's got me 3 promotions, so it doesn't seem a bad ploy, and has got Derby to mid table, despite the slump after passing 40 points.

Will be having a fair clearout of the squad this summer. Xisco is going, come what may, several others retiring, so will have freedom to bring in some good quality, hopefully we can push on and challenge this time round, but we need better luck on the injury front.

I'm just hoping that the massive squad overhaul is worth it, and we can really kick on this season. The Premier League is becoming more unpredictable, with Fulham finishing as runners up, and Man Utd missing out on European football altogether. Whether that makes it more or less likely we have a chance to do this, I'm not sure.

After Derby it's 32 games as boss at Brighton, followed by the infamous 7 game reign at Leeds, then on to Forest, assuming I'm still in the game by then. I'm not ending the save if I fail though, will just take whatever I fancy when the time comes. This season is the real test. We need to make the top 4, get in the Champions League, and try and get that Semi Final ticked off. Then need to actually win the Premiership. Interesting times ahead either way.

Brighton have gone from 6th in the Championship, and a playoff place in 2015/16 to 20th and a relegation scrap in 2016/17. I know I'm only there for 32 games, and don't have to achieve anything, but getting them promoted would be a great addition to my CV and career thread.

Archived