The Cristiano Ronaldo thread

aggressive minor

Also saying he lacks vision and stuff. Did you see the goal with Czech Republic? How he felt that cross was coming his way way before the cross actually came and started sprinting and came in front of the defender.... thats good reading of the game. Not to mention the way he headed that ball...

Also saying he lacks vision and stuff. Did you see the goal with Czech Republic? How he felt that cross was coming his way way before the cross actually came and started sprinting and came in front of the defender.... thats good reading of the game. Not to mention the way he headed that ball...
Yes, because that proves he has phenomenal vision.

I'm the one who brought in the footballing brain argument into here. To clarify, I don't think Ronaldo is a dumb player. He is quite obviously superb in making movements to attack the ball and get into scoring positions. That is one of the reasons he scores so much.

What I'm saying is that there are mental areas of his game that can be improved. He is fantastic at making runs for himself but is "only" good - not fantastic - in making movements that facilitate the game for his team-mates. Sometimes things do click and he does make some (very good) assists, but he does not have as great a sense of timing as some other world class players (mostly the Barcelona guys). He also clearly is not fully comfortable at playing football at a slow tempo as I firmly believe is sometimes necessary in the game of football - albeit obviously to use his skills to best effect you'll want to play fast.

Another thing is that he squanders possession too much. It's understandable he wants to use his fantastic shooting power often but does exaggerate that occasionally.

Again, he is a fantastic, world class player, who is up there with the all-time greats. He has stuff others don't - his aerial skills and shooting power are probably the very best in the world right now. He is however not perfect, like any other human being. My initial post was in answer to someone who was claiming he had nothing to improve but "slightly his passing skills". That is not correct. If players like Lionel Messi and Andrés Iniesta read the game better as a team game, pass better, can dictate play from deep, and are able to play at both a quick tempo and a slow tempo, whilst also scoring loads and assisting loads, the obvious inference is that those are areas where Ronaldo can improve. Which still doesn't mean Ronaldo is rubbish in those areas, just not as good as other players.

Well no, I shouldn't have brought his name into this.. Iniesta is a great example of a player who is obviously better than Ronaldo at making those selfless movements, but plays a different role and does not score anywhere near as much. Messi does however play a similar role and has that kind of footballing brain too, so it is possible to combine both sets of skills (finishing moves ruthlessly and starting moves patiently) even if extremely rare.

iniesta 'assists' a team more than anyone/any stat can ever tell you

Yet "assist" like "goal" has a more specific technical meaning, nobody doubts his contribution to the team he plays in. Iniesta doesn't get loads of assists, that's not a slight on him, it's merely a fact that needed addressing.

it's really a fact that nobody cares about, but technically you're right. he only got a few less of these 'assists' last season than messi and ronaldo though. goals I can't really argue.

fwiw ronaldo had 12 and messi 15, they assist in their own ways. yeah ronaldo's not as good a passer as messi or iniesta, but he still has all these assists?

I thought Messi got 23 assists last season? Where as Iniesta only got 10. Assists tend mainly to come to players who are involved in the finishing of moves, Iniesta doesn't get a lot of them because that isn't his game. Ronaldo got 15 assists because he plays in those advanced positions but the creative side of his game isn't as good as Messi's.

Either way, Iniesta doesn't get loads of assists, something that took all of 2 posts to resolve before it was brought up again.

Archived