The Cristiano Ronaldo thread

aggressive minor

So good he deserves his own thread in the tournament. One of those players that so many people love, but that loads hate as well (most respecting how good he is). I absolutely love the guy, he is fantastic and even his strops are just brilliant

The use of the word polemic here...and then saying 'maybe I am too good!'

After a disaster against Denmark, boy has he turned up!!

Portugal won't win it, he can't carry them all the way and the rest aren't good enough. Players might win games, teams win tournaments.

The tournament is just 2 games now.

But yeah, Portugal will be underdogs in any of those 2. Still, last match against Spain ended with a 4-0 Portuguese win.

the rest not good enough? they were better than Germany and unlucky to lose, despite Ronaldo being nowhere. They were far superior to the dutch, Ronaldo scored two good goals but the team played great. Today he was by far the best player, but still Portugal's defence and midfield is very very good.

they have a team full of great players, so with Ronaldo on board they should be capable of beating any team.

The Portugal team is excellent, Ronaldo isn't one of those players that can win a game for a poor team, what he can do is drag out every drop of quality and make something of it. Portugal have a whole host of really good players and if they can impose themselves enough (which they may struggle with against Spain) then he's perfectly capable of leading them to the trophy.

If he does do this (and I mean put in match winning performances in the next two games) then he does have a legitimate shout for the Ballon d'or depending on how they both start next season. Messi will still be the better player but Ronaldo could edge it over performances over the calendar year, I don't think he will as Messi has been simply too good recently but he's in with a shout.

the rest not good enough? they were better than Germany and unlucky to lose, despite Ronaldo being nowhere. They were far superior to the dutch, Ronaldo scored two good goals but the team played great. Today he was by far the best player, but still Portugal's defence and midfield is very very good.they have a team full of great players, so with Ronaldo on board they should be capable of beating any team.
I don't rate Portugal this highly. They're a bit better than average, but I don't see them as a team "full of great players". Who are the other "great" players?

He is a bit of a dick but yeah, he's absolutely brilliant. Would have to be stupid to deny that.

He really isn't.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/cristiano-ronaldo-agent-paying-nine-old-cancer-treatment-042054954--sow.html

Nuhazet, a 9-year-old boy from Las Palmas, Spain, has been battling cancer since before his second birthday. When he met Cristiano Ronaldo before Real Madrid's final match of the season last month, it was supposed to be the fulfillment of a final wish for a young boy who had already endured a lifetime of suffering, but it turned into the start of a renewed fight backed by Ronaldo and his agent, Jorge Mendes.

A story on Canarias Investiga reports that in March, an MRI revealed that Nuhazet's cancer had spread to three different parts of his spine. Doctors told the boy's parents that there was nothing they could do and recommended they stop treatment so Nuhazet wouldn't suffer any more than was necessary. His parents asked if there was anything anywhere in the world that could be done to help Nuhazet, but they were told that the only treatment options left were experimental.

So to fulfill one of Nuhazet's dreams, his cousin enlisted the help of some influential friends and got the attention of Jorge Mendes, one of the most powerful agents in football. They arranged a trip from the family's home in the Canary Islands to Madrid for Real Madrid's final match of the season against Mallorca.

The day of the game, Mendes and the family surprised Nuhazet with a special meeting with Ronaldo, who made a few jokes, took some pictures and promised the boy that if he scored a goal that day, he would dedicate it to him. After the meeting, Nuhazet went to watch the match from Ronaldo's private box with his family and Cristiano's swimsuit model girlfriend, Irina Shayk.

Real Madrid beat Mallorca 4-1 and lifted the Liga trophy for the first time in four years. Ronaldo scored the first goal of the game and dedicated it to Nuhazet. As perfect as the day was, that was supposed to be all there was to it. But the following day, Mendes had Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who weeks later lost his wife to a long fight against lung cancer, personally call doctors at Sanchinarro Hospital. They quickly saw Nuhazet and started a new course of treatment that included a personalized drug from the United States with Ronaldo and Mendes paying for everything.

This story is reminiscent of reports that Lionel Messi decided to pay for the medical costs of 12-year-old Waleed Kashash, who suffers from growth hormone deficiency (which Messi also had as a child), until Waleed turns 18. Those reports were later found to be untrue, but Messi was already widely seen as a kind and generous person. For an idolized and reviled athlete with a reputation for being selfish, vain and egotistical like Cristiano Ronaldo -- himself the father of a 2-year-old son -- it's important to remember that the parts of life on public display are rarely enough to provide the complete image of an actual human being.

You can call this a PR stunt and debate whether it makes Ronaldo more likable, but the important thing is that Nuhazet is still undergoing treatment and could return home in a few weeks as he awaits his custom medication. And it all started with a trip to a football match.

Miguel Veloso great? You're obviously just basing that on one or two games here. Moutinho?

Only Pepe and Nani are even close to being great players. The others you listed are either 'good' or 'very good'.

I don't think Portugal as good as everyone makes out - a bit like France (at least before the tournament).

Miguel Veloso great? You're obviously just basing that on one or two games here. Moutinho?

Only Pepe and Nani are even close to being great players. The others you listed are either 'good' or 'very good'.

I don't think Portugal as good as everyone makes out - a bit like France (at least before the tournament).

I agree with you. They have a lot of very good players, but not world class. I don't think this side is better than the 2004 one for example. The current full backs are better, and you could make a case for the central midfielders but apart from that, its not as good. And that 2004 team also had Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes on the subs bench.

Moutinho was the best player on the park tonight & has arguably been Portugal's player of the tournament. Crisitiano has been more eyecatching, but Moutinho has kept them ticking & allowed him to shine.

Miguel Veloso has been fantastic too, he may be good/very good but when playing alongside the others his game really gets raised.

Portugal's biggest weakness is the Centre Forward, but with Cristiano Ronaldo in the form he's in, that isn't really much of an issue for them.

A good team is better than the sum of it's parts & as others have suggested, some very good players become better as a result. They may be underdogs, but people write them off at their peril.

Strange tournament by Ronaldo. His first game was alright, his second game was abysmal, but then against the dutch and the czechs he put ridiculously good performances, which I have never seen him do for Portugal (and I am a firm believer that he's never been a bottler for the national team) nor indeed any player at this tournament.

Another game like this and he's surely player of the tournament? I mean the past 2 games he scored 3, hit the posts 4 times, had a couple other dangerous headers which few players would even have won over the defenders, and created the occasional chance for others too. Bloody hell, absolutely fantastic. I don't even like him but gotta give him tons of credit for these 2 matches.

Don't think I've seen such a declared one-man show in a long long time in an international tournament. Albeit I've really enjoyed the whole movement of the side, it's facilitating the path for Ronaldo's goals immensely. :thup:

Ronaldo has always felt like he has to carry Portugal all by himself. Maybe after the Denmark game where he played quite badly and watched the rest of the team step up he's realised they're not that bad. So now he 's been able to focus on his game and stop worrying about everyone else.

And there are other world-class players in the team, such as their central defender with long hair.

Bruno Alves is no where near world class, he's just a solid defender, Pepe is a lot better (albeit a massive ****).

I've really enjoyed Moutinho in this team, him and Nani have been excellent for Portugal. Ronaldo though, he's been on another level in the past 2 games, hope he can continue to do so well in the next game.

He definitely stands out and Portugal look to him to dig them out of a hole if they need a goal, but as was with Arsenal and Cesc, Everton and Rooney. If Ronaldo wasn't playing this Portugal side wouldn't be ****. Spain Portugal in the Semis is Barca vs Real. :cool:

Oh and Coentrão has been absolutely amazing in this tournament, and he's second choice for Real.

Able to play on both wings aswell as striker. Amazing speed (top speed and explosiveness), great agility, great strenght, INCREDIBLE jumping ability. Add to that his technique, dribbling skills, free kicks and shooting and you get the best player in the world. Pretty much anything you could ever want in a offensive player. The only thing I'd improve on him is his passing slightly .

Able to play on both wings aswell as striker. Amazing speed (top speed and explosiveness), great agility, great strenght, INCREDIBLE jumping ability. Add to that his technique, dribbling skills, free kicks and shooting and you get the best player in the world. Pretty much anything you could ever want in a offensive player. The only thing I'd improve on him is his passing slightly .

Except football isn't merely played with your feet but also your mind. Ronaldo has superb physical and technical skills but is simply not anywhere near as much of an intelligent player as Messi and that is one of the things that make such a big difference. Selflessness, decision making, awareness of the team-mates movement and the tempo the game should be played (Ronaldo only knows how to play football at 300km/h and sometimes slowing things down is much better), are things that Ronaldo lacks... particularly the selflessness. :D

Back to technique I would also argue that Messi's dribbling and shooting are much more accurate than Ronaldo's. And another thing he really should improve in is the will to track back, if Ronaldo's by far Portugal's most dangerous player upfront he is also the most dangerous player defensively, because he often leaves Coentrão alone against a duo of opposition full-back/winger and that's where the goals we've conceded have been flying in.

No doubt Ronaldo does have some astonishing skills, and I really didn't want to bring the Messi comparison back. I also realize he can't do everything on the pitch, he can't attack, defend and dictate play all at the same time. But saying there's no things he could be better in is quite simply wrong.

Ronaldo is definitely behind a good number of players in the pitch awareness, football intelligence side of the game, he can make up for that with his physical and technical attributes though, how long he keeps his physical edge for will determine how long left he has as one of the top players. It shows in his passing decisions and execution in games where even a simple pass in front of a team mate he regularly surrenders possession.

Exactly, I think Messi or Iniesta would perfectly adapt to playing deeper as they get older because they have a natural ability to dictate tempo, facilitate things for their team-mates, and spread the ball around on top of their solo skills, but Ronaldo once he loses his amazing physical powers as he ages he's going to fade very quickly.

That being said Ronaldo has improved immensely in that area over the years, and I might be a bit harsh on the "noticing movements of team-mates" because he does make some crazy no-look passes occasionally,but this whole "play as a unit" concept still doesn't come naturally to him.

I'm pretty sure the way he trains and the way he keeps coming every season in top shape, his physical prowess will last him quite a while. And who is to say his mental side won't develop as he ages ?

Ronaldo not an intelligent footballer? Christ.

His decision making in the final third is insanely good, he knows exactly when and where to run and how to exploit space. You don't have to be a playmaker to have great footballing intelligence.

Archived