fm12 on a retina macbook pro

i've just upgraded from a late '08 macbook pro (512 vram) to a fancy new 2012 retina model, and just want to say that fm12 is running great.. i'm just so impressed by the difference.

with laptops i'll typically wait for as long as possible and then upgrade to the best of my ability, and this one has been a real treat.

i get 5 stars in the graphics rating department as opposed to about 3. the game loads 4 or 5 times faster and my current save is out to 2024 with about 9 leagues.

also, in match.. previously i'd have my fans whirling like mad for just opening the game.. now i can play an entire match without breaking a sweat. towards the end the fans get up to maybe 3k rpm but only just. it's as though they aren't needed at all.

for anyone thinking about this upgrade i can't recommend it enough, and i'm planning on using this same machine all the way out to fm16 if it all works out.

Text looks great and the game just files.. but hey, I waited 4 years to upgrade and had planned on this for a while. Saved up and still got the cheaper of the two retina options.

Not that i'm an apple fanboy.. it's just the best option I have at the moment. If we saw an official linux release I'd probably never get another apple machine.. or not ;-)

Text looks great and the game just files.. but hey, I waited 4 years to upgrade and had planned on this for a while. Saved up and still got the cheaper of the two retina options.

Not that i'm an apple fanboy.. it's just the best option I have at the moment. If we saw an official linux release I'd probably never get another apple machine.. or not ;-)

Well the joke will be on you in 2 years when we all upgrade and you still have your old retina that can barely run fm14!

I guess...

heh.. there's always that risk but i'll take it. i was able to run fm08-12 on my last one, and if i gotta upgrade early, so be it.

if we see a linux release of fm in the next 4 years i may be able to afford a holiday but cars where i live, well, not so much ;-)

FM looks far from great on a Retina MBP. All elements are fuzzy when played in windowed mode due to not being optimised for a retina screen. It is upscaled so the antialiasing is obvious and distracting.

Of course you can play it fullscreen at 2880x1800 and it looks perfect but absolutely tiny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's not just about overall market share. For example, there is a disproportionate number of students who use Macs. And young people with time on their hands are just the sort who might play FM.

But, yes, the Mac is clearly a minority market for SI. I appreciate the fact they make the game for the platform but it would be good if they put a bit more effort in.

I would love to buy a new laptop (although never an Apple one), my one was quality when I got it several years ago but now it's falling to bits. FM plays fine but I have had problems with it crashing during matches.

However my big expense each year is a holiday, and there is no way I can afford that plus a laptop. I don't think my girlfriend would be very happy if I told her that instead of going away I will be buying a new laptop on which I will be spending all day on FM.

Archived