Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank Christ we'll have Mikel back from the next game. He and Lampard in CM together should give us some solidity.

Personally, I think that pairing is too slow, making it easier for nimble players to overrun our midfield in counter-attacks (as seen vs Atletico earlier in the season). As our one speedy CM, Ramires needs to be in there for me, even if he hasn't been playing well recently.

Yeah him or Marin behind Torres and then Ramires at CM, instead having Ramires on the right where he's wasted and have that useless mug play in midfield. I cannot stress how glad I will be when Mikel and Moses return

Marin and Bertrand have been poor

Solid win, needed that. Lampard and Hazard were good, Ramires much better than he has been in recent weeks

el sid right on the money basically. Oh, and Azpilicueta was a boss on that right hand side

Was Demba Ba not played because of his nose? Just thought he was cup tied for the Europa League, so made sense for him to start today, or at least come on

The next PL game is Man City away so Ba has to start there. I think we could sneak a win if we play well, but that seems to be a problem recently. Happy with today and glad Marin got his goal. We again looked much better when Mata came on but we should have still won without him. Glad to have Hazard back, his goal and assist helped a lot.

Not really? It's a European competition ffs, much more important than the FA Cup for example.

I think the FA Cup is more important. It is a traditional cup that everyone wants to win and players no how important it is. If you asked Terry, Lamps etc what they would rather win I can guarantee you what there answer would be. I don't know if I am the only one but I will feel a little humiliated by us winning the Europa League as we cannot really use it as a bragging advantage over any teams.

Ditching the EL is elitist bull**it as far as I'm concerned. It's a European competition, second best European competition and beats winning any domestic trophy bar 2-3 League titles out there, admittedly EPL being one of them. But it's still something clubs should seriously aim to win. **** FA cup.

Don't take this in an offensive way but it is most likely that someone you who are slamming the FA Cup are saying this because you are foreign. English, Chelsea fans love the cup and so do the players, especially the English ones. Fans who watch Chelsea every week, most hardened ones know the importance of the FA Cup. Obviously we cannot play a youth team against Prague but it it necessary to have right now? No.

Haha, utter nonsense to disregard the EL ffs. Obviously the main aim is a top 3 finish but trophies along with that in the forms of the FA Cup and EL would be great.

Oh and according to nearly all of the papers and media portals in Belgrade this morning, Marković is ours in the summer. He was apparently in London during the winter break and had dinner with Ivanović, Marin and Lampard and signed a pre contract for June.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously respect FA cup and think it's a great traditional competition. But the last time I checked, we had 7 of those. European League is a new competition that might become even much more important than it is now. Winning it at least once puts your name on the trophy and in history. My point is try to win the FA cup but don't bloody ditch the EL. It's disrespectful and insulting.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously respect FA cup and think it's a great traditional competition. But the last time I checked, we had 7 of those. European League is a new competition that might become even much more important than it is now. Winning it at least once puts your name on the trophy and in history. My point is try to win the FA cup but don't bloody ditch the EL. It's disrespectful and insulting.

I didnt say ditch it but now we finish 3rd it is more games added to our fixture list, which City will benefit from, who we can realistically catch. But as you say we are in it so we should be in it win it. Just looking back, had you asked City are they happy to finish last in their Champions League group and avoid Europa League, they probably would take it.

Haha, utter nonsense to disregard the EL ffs. Obviously the main aim is a top 3 finish but trophies along with that in the forms of the FA Cup and EL would be great.

Oh and according to nearly all of the papers and media portals in Belgrade this morning, Marković is ours in the summer. He was apparently in London during the winter break and had dinner with Ivanović, Marin and Lampard and signed a pre contract for June.

What's he like?

In short, the best talent in the Balkans (along with Kovačić who moved to Inter). Very quick, agile, versatile (could operate in any of the attacking positions in a 4-2-3-1), technically good, a good dribbler and is pretty hardworking and a determined guy. Obviously not the finish article and his decision making could do with improving but I guess that'll improve with age and more experience.

Archived