Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can keep Walcott and I'll also throw in Benayoun and Torres for van Persie, deal?
erm. I'd probably take that tbh. I love Yossi and I think Torres would flourish in a team like ours.
I'd take a swap deal of RVP/Torres and be pretty happy, would put good money on Torres out scoring RVP this season.
I would take that as well, love Torres, would really work well in AFC I think.

They obviously haven't seen Torres play for us.

It always depended which Kalou would turn up. I have seen him do some really great things e.g. that goal against Birmingham was it not last season but the one before? But then he also had quite a few bad performances thrown in there. Still though if we buy one more winger then the person who replaces Kalou is Marin who I'm hoping will do a lot better.

Ya I just read that in the article. Didn't know about him.. It says teams negotiated but Lev have opted to hold onto him.

"We were presented with a very concrete offer from Chelsea for Andre of beyond the € 20 million mark. The sum was pushed back and forth between the two clubs, but we eventually opted to hold on to Andre," Bayer Leverkusen CEO Wolfgang Holzhauser is quoted as saying by German news agency SID.

"Andre is very valuable for us on the pitch. He has also made it very clear that he is happy to stay with us."

You've not heard of him? He was at the Euros, scored in the game where Germany rotated their entire front line iirc.

Actually, he was the one who didn't score, it was Reus who did.

I'm not sure what I want/think we need atm. Will need to see how we're lining up in our first few friendlies.

Not a massive Schürrle fan myself, think he's a little one-dimensional, but he gets goals so that can only be a good thing if we have Torres up front. Just not sure where he fits, as I've only ever seen him play on the left (might be wrong here) and we're really looking for someone to play on the right.

RDM saying we have three strikers and each will have to fight for their place.. Does it mean he wants to play Sturridge as striker? Maybe explains wanting to get another winger..

"We have three strikers at the moment in the squad, and I would not be saying who is going to be playing," Di Matteo said. "They will all have to fight for their position and there is healthy competition. Whoever is in the best form and can give the best for the team will be playing.

I hope so I think he could be great there. Certainly has that selfish streak that strikers need (needs to tone it down though) and he really has the pace if the ball is played through on the ground/floor. Also would like to see Lukaku given a real chance as a handful of sub appearances and Carling Cup games won't be enough for him. Or get him a good loan where he will play, unlike McEachran, which still irritates me. Wish he played more games at Swansea.

So is it true then? Are we signing Oscar? Just read a couple of stories that say we have beaten Spurs to him. Really know nothing about him beyond FM and have no idea how good he is irl.
Just read the same thing in the papers this morning, the sum is €25m ish, but if this happens and goes through I'll be delighted as he looks class, esp in Brazil's recent friendlies as he was one of their better players in those games (remember him doing well vs Mexico). This potential transfer also fits in with our awesome transfer policy of late, very good move imo if it happens

Chelsea are confident of completing the £25m signing of Oscar, the precociously gifted Brazil and Sport Club Internacional midfielder, as they continue their summer of bold transfer moves.

Internacional have lined up a deal for Paulo Henrique Ganso of Santos to replace Oscar, and, although they maintain that nothing has been signed with Chelsea, a deal to take the London club's outlay on new players past £60m is close.

Tottenham Hotspur had an interest in Oscar but walked away from negotiations at the weekend, perhaps when it appeared that Chelsea were ready to gazump them.

Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, has already funded the £32m signing of Eden Hazard from Lille and the £7m capture of Marko Marin from Werder Bremen; two young and sought-after attacking midfielders, and Oscar ticks similar boxes.

The 20-year-old is a right-footed playmaker who can operate in any of the advanced midfield positions in the 4-2-3-1 formation that is favoured by the Chelsea manager, Roberto Di Matteo. He is noted for his speed and technical ability and he has made his mark at full international level, starring in the Brazil squad that recently played friendlies against Denmark, Mexico, Argentina and United States. He has played 70 times for Internacional, scoring 19 goals. Oscar has been included in the squad for the London Olympics.

The Chelsea squad already has a Brazilian flavour, in the form of Ramires, David Luiz and Lucas Piazon, and Abramovich could add to it further with his pursuit of Hulk, the Porto striker. A £38m fee has been agreed in principle between the clubs but there are complications related to Hulk's third party ownership, and over who will pay the monies owing to his investors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/10/chelsea-oscar-brazil-transfer

If we complete this signing as well then our team is looking really good. So long as Torres can start scoring regularly but even if he doesn't I think Sturridge could be very effective up front. I do think we then need to sign a backup right back and we could also do with replacing Essien although I do wonder who our main midfield two are going to be? Surely Ramires and Lampard? Ramires has to be in there as he was pretty much our best player last year. He could then still make his amazing runs from deep that he did so effectively since he's been here.

I haven't seen him play much either and it still excites me. Everything I have read and the little I have seen suggests he will be very good but may take a bit of time to adapt like most of our Brazilians did, hopefully not though. Also read again this morning we are going back in for Schurrle which may spell the end for Sturridge. Really don't want to see Sturridge go but obviously he wants to play up front and maybe RDM isn't that big of a fan of him? Who would everyone here rather we went for, Schurrle or Muller? I have to say I have seen more of Muller but Schurrle looks very promising as well.

If we complete this signing as well then our team is looking really good. So long as Torres can start scoring regularly but even if he doesn't I think Sturridge could be very effective up front. I do think we then need to sign a backup right back and we could also do with replacing Essien although I do wonder who our main midfield two are going to be? Surely Ramires and Lampard? Ramires has to be in there as he was pretty much our best player last year. He could then still make his amazing runs from deep that he did so effectively since he's been here.
Mikel is undroppable, imo, so it'll have to be Mikel plus Lamps/Rambo alongside him. If/when we sign Oscar, he'll be playing on the right I'm guessing? (I'm also assuming Hazard, Mata and Oscar would roam fairly frequently during a game)

That's the problem I think we need someone in there like Mikel i.e. a stronger more physical kind of player to help give our midfield some strength. The problem then is we have to have either Lampard or Rambo when ideally I want them both, especially with how good Ramires was last year. If we get Oscar and Schurrle then someone else up front will have to leave surely so it will be interesting to see what happens there. Add in another right back and we have some quality depth in our squad. I mean we could have players like Marin, Sturridge, Lampard, Rambo (or whoever become the rotated players) who could come off the bench in games and could really change things.

As long as he plays then yeah it will. Hopefully he can go somewhere where he will play a lot of games and help him develop. If he does this and has a good season then maybe he could become a rotation/backup option next year which would be great.

Archived