Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole are set to sever their long and glittering association with Chelsea at the end of the season after Rafael Benítez marked his first full day in interim charge of the club by confirming the break-up of the European Cup-winning team will continue in the summer.

Benítez has been employed on a short-term contract and he stressed others in the Chelsea hierarchy deal with contract negotiations. But after spending time with the technical director, Michael Emenalo, in the build-up to his appointment and having dined with Roman Abramovich on Thursday evening he is under the impression neither Cole nor Lampard will be retained when their contracts expire.

The previous manager, Roberto Di Matteo, urged the board to do all they could to retain both senior players' services only last week, though the reality that no progress has been made in negotiations always appeared telling. Cole had been offered a one-year deal in preliminary talks but is seeking longer terms having been targeted by Paris Saint-Germain while Lampard, who joined in 2001 and is the club's third-highest goalscorer, has not been offered a deal. He has attracted interest from the Chinese club Guizhou Renhe and from teams in Major League Soccer, and both players can negotiate with foreign clubs in the new year.

Asked if he thought the players would leave in the summer, Benítez said: "I think so. I don't have all the information and it's not fair to tell me I'm only here for seven months and then expect me to have an influence at the club over the next two or three years, but I think that's the case at the moment." They would follow Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou and José Bosingwa away from Stamford Bridge, that trio having left last summer, with Florent Malouda currently seeing out his contract in the reserves as the club continue to dismantle the team that defeated Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena in May.

Benítez will continue to consider both for selection, though Lampard is still suffering from a calf injury. The manager has spoken to all his playing squad since taking up the reins on Thursday – he oversaw his first full training session on Friday in preparation for Sunday's visit of Manchester City – and been reassured by those older members of the squad that there are no lingering issues from the combustible rivalry they endured with his Liverpool side from 2004-10. "I had a conversation with John Terry today and it was quite positive," said the Spaniard. "He knows: he's a winner, I'm a winner. It's simple."

Equally impressed has been Abramovich, who enjoyed a three-hour dinner with the ninth manager he has appointed in nine years before Benítez emerged from that first meeting of employer and employee convinced he will be able to pick his team without influence from above. "The priority of the owner was whether I'm a good manager, a good coach, if the players understand me and if we'll be a winning team," he said. "He was very clear with that and happy with the things I've said. My impression of him was he's a nice person. You can talk with him and he understands and he likes to see you have clear ideas.

"I've had quite a lot of different owners, presidents and chairmen in my 26 years in football and they all liked to talk about football and find out what was going on. If you have confidence in yourself and can explain yourself, everyone can understand. But after the owners [Tom Hicks and George Gillett] we had at Anfield – they didn't love each other – this will be easier. I know who the person is in charge."

While the hierarchy seem buoyed by his arrival, the Chelsea supporters will take longer to come to terms with Benítez's appointment, with rival managers having also expressed some surprise. Sir Alex Ferguson wasted little time reigniting his long-running feud with the Spaniard by suggesting he was "lucky" to have been parachuted in by the European champions with the chance to claim the World Club Championships in Japan, as he did at Internazionale after succeeding José Mourinho, three weeks away.

"He could have two world club titles to his name, and had nothing to do with the teams," said the Manchester United manager.

Benítez rolled his eyes at Ferguson's words. "I've missed training the players and improving my team, even if the other things are part of football now," he said. "I like to talk about football but, if people push you… well, if you want to win, maybe you have to push back. I have to defend my team, my club. I like to respect people but sometimes I cannot because they push me. When I came to England I knew the other managers, and Arsène Wenger, who had been [at Arsenal] for a while, was the best manager here. But I cannot talk about these things every day. So I concentrate on my team and Manchester City on Sunday."

Fernando Torres will start that fixture, with his compatriot convinced he can squeeze form from the £50m British record signing. "I don't need to talk too much to Fernando because he knows me and what I'm looking for," he said. "My idea isn't just to improve Fernando but the whole team. I can't just focus on him. But when I look at him I see a player with commitment and a desire to improve, just as I do when I look at the others."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/23/frank-lampard-ashley-cole-chelsea

What would you like us to apologise for? Making a well intentioned complaint after a player felt he had been mistreated?

If we hadn't made our stance public, I have no doubt the media and brainy football fans would have portrayed us as covering up a new racist scandal. I think we've handled this a lot better than the Terry saga.

We have handled better than than the Terry saga but I still think we could come out and say we apologise to Clattenburg for any hurt/stress this has done to him and his family but also explain that as a club we needed to report the incident. We have done well to say the last bit but you have to apologise if we have technically got it wrong. Tbf it was a lose lose situation for us unless Clattenburg was found guilty. If we did it quietly like you said then it would be seen as a cover up and this way it seems like we are going after a referee. Everyone seems to want an apology and I think it could be done whilst still clearly pointing out we had to report it.

There's a difference between us reporting an accusation, which I believe some of our players still feel is true, and us 'getting it wrong'. We've reported it as we should, we've accepted the decision and we move on.

An apology may be nice, but it's not a necessity.

Rafa bought good players it's the players he got for free or cost 1-2 million that were poor. I know he signed aqualuni, Johnson etc but was told by hicks and gillet he could only buy from clubs that owed us money. Liverpool sold crouch to Portsmouth and riise to Roma.

Rafa wanted David villa £7 million but rick parry said it was too much for a player who was not an international

Sergio aguero £15 million but rik parry said was too much for an 18 year old

Bought mascherano when he couldn't get in the west ham team

Reina, Skrtel, agger, Lucas, alonso, Garcia. I know he bought poor players but lets face it you don't often get good players for under £3 million.

Don't get me wrong his main aim is not to lose rather than win and will make you tough to beat he isn't gung no he likes to play on the counter but you can't say he buys rubbish players or he is a poor manager. Won Spanish title with Valencia twice, Uefa cup, won champions league with poor liverpool team and another final along with at least one other semi. I think he is more suited to European football than premiership myself.

I would say his aim is to win, but if you can't win at least make sure you don't lose.

There's a list twice as big of all the duds he signed at Liverpool.

So? He didn't have free reign to buy whatever he wanted and had to make do with shoddy second and third choice players. Like Pennant. He was close to having a championship winning squad. Imagine if he got Villa and Aguero as he wanted. People always accusing Rafa of this and that, when his record of buying players is in general very good, and his actual managerial CV is so good that it boggles my mind that he's seen as unemployable or only a short term manager. I think he deserves a better project. Or a more stable one rather. I even wanted to see him at Spurs, but instead we went for the fancy option who does not even justify his reputation in the game.

Frank Sinclair on goals on Sunday, what a man :applause:I miss that 1998 squad so much especially when you compare them to the thundercunts we currently have making a mockery of the club. Even the "JT" of the side Dennis Wise wasn't half as hateable as the real JT. That's how ****ing awful some of these players are and how little I care for them.

Have to agree Azpi was great. I like Ivanovic at centre back. He's quicker than some attackers think he is and in the air he's a beast.

Not a great game but a point and a clean sheet so its not all bad. Went to the gam today and will be at Upton Park this Saturday. Will be a tough gam there as well.

I like Ivanovic at centre back. He's quicker than some attackers think he is and in the air he's a beast.

He's been a bit wobbly there in the past, but does have the qualities to complement Cahill if he can keep up his concentration and improve his passing.

Don't really care if Rafa heard it or not (although he quite clearly did hear it, and probably saw some of the banners too), but just the fact that it took place and got some media coverage is surely a bit disappointing to see?

Signs reading "Rafa out, Chelsea fans never forget" - got to cringe at stuff like that. Such a shame that a small group of fans (as with any club) can do things like that and get the media all wet.

Don't really care if Rafa heard it or not (although he quite clearly did hear it, and probably saw some of the banners too), but just the fact that it took place and got some media coverage is surely a bit disappointing to see?

Signs reading "Rafa out, Chelsea fans never forget" - got to cringe at stuff like that. Such a shame that a small group of fans (as with any club) can do things like that and get the media all wet.

yeah i was taking the ****.

it wasn't a small group. quite large i'd say

Yeah Liverpool fans well touchy over this. What do you expect when a couple of years ago he was slagging our fans off? Personally he doesn't bother me and I'd never do it but I can understand why alot of fans aren't happy with him being manager.

Archived