Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that before. I expected him to be solid when he came in but he has been great. Can't remember too many mistakes from him either.

Well it seems our search for a first trophy of the season will go on. The City one I can forgive because the game was pretty much ruined for us after the red. This game however we have just been completely undone.

Well that was not what I was expecting at all. I don't think I have anything positive to say whatsoever tbh. Maybe that Cahill was good but other than that nothing. We need to go away and come back in two weeks with our defence sorted out.

I am just going to have to pretend now that this was just a friendly and I don't care but I really wanted us to win tonight. Or if we did have to lose it, at least not 4-1. Falcao just dominated us in that first half. His 2nd goal was probably the hardest to stop but the 1st and 3rd we shouldn't have let happen.

If that was intentional from David Luiz that was genius.

I think it was :D

Woeful today. Back 4 + Midfield 2 were all ****, individual mistakes and too slow getting back as an unit. And what the **** was up with Mikel hopelessly chipping the ball forward with no chance of retrieving possession? It isn't Drogba ffs.

Falcao so ridiculously good tonight that you just have to sit back and applaud even if it is your team that he is destroying.

Really few positives to take from tonight, Oscar looked pretty good when he came on though. Mikel had a pretty good game if he had have been meant to be playing as the attacking of the 2 midfielders being involved in a lot of the attacks pinging balls around which isn't too surprising seeing as that's what he was doing before we bought him and tried to convert him into Makelele's replacement iirc. Unfortunately that's not what he was meant to be doing tonight, he should have been protecting the defense which he didn't do at all. I've been saying for 2 or 3 years we needed a defensive midfielder and a right winger as we keep playing players out of position, we've bought some great attacking talent to play on the wings and yet we still play a central midfielder as a right winger. We've spent over 50m this transfer window and still don't have a proper defensive midfielder who will actually protect the back 4. Infuriating.

Why do you even care about this ****?

Because the performance shows that we are seriously lacking a defence. It's not like the players are out there messing about for a laugh, they're just playing completely awful and it's worrying for the future of this season.

It's been waaaaay more than 1 game where our defence has looked a shambles. If a team come at us and attack they have a good chance of getting something. We've been quite lucky that whilst we've let teams have some amazing chances, they haven't really taken them so far this season, until tonight ofcourse, and tonight showed against a decent side you don't get away with it.

For me it's like this:

Ivanovic - Don't think he's a great right back, likes to stand off and let wingers cross

David Luiz - Capable of being brilliant, also capable of making ridiculous mistakes

Terry - Good, but more and more often makes silly mistakes and is quite slow

Cahill - Our best central defender, is solid

Cole - Our best defender, solid

Mikel - Doesn't offer any protection to the back 4

Lampard - Same as Mikel, looks really slow kinda like he can barely run

Combine all of that and you have a shakey defence, I hope this Azpilcueto or however you spell it is very good because if he is then he has a good chance of being first choice RB soon.

For the future I'd like to see: Cortois; Azpil - Cahill - NEW CB - Cole/Bertrand then NEW DM - Oscar in central midfield. I think next window we have to sign a new DM.

pathetic performance tonight it just looked like the players didnt want to be there. i felt sorry for torres tonight he had no service at all and was trying so hard but without the supply he wont be able to do something

We were obviously looking to loan out Sturridge today. That ****s me off.

RDM must hate the guy. Or he's made it reasonably clear he's not signing a new contract so we want rid.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]Pos[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Turnbull, Ross[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]GK[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Cech, Petr[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]GK[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]3[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Hilario, Henrique[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]GK[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]4[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Cole, Ashley[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Terry, John[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Bertrand, Ryan[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Cahill, Gary[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]8[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Ivanovic, Branislav[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]9[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Luiz, David[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]10[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Ferreira, Paulo[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]11[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Azpilicueta, Cesar[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]DF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]12[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Lampard, Frank[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]MF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]13[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Mikel, John Obi[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]MF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]14[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Ramires[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]MF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]15[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Meireles, Raul[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]MF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]16[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Moses, Victor[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]17[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Mata, Juan[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]18[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Marin, Marko[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]19[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Sturridge, Daniel[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]SC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]20[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Torres, Fernando[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]SC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Malouda, Florent[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Under 21 List (After 1/1/1991)[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]21[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Romeu, Oriol[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]MF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]22[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Hazard, Eden[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]23[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Oscar[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That's something I'd be really interested to see actually:

Meireles/Lampard         Mikel/Romeu

Ramires

Oscar                                                  Mata
                                       Hazard

Woth the two deep players in front of the defence, the front three changing positions and Ramires running everywhere.

EDIT: Wouldn't have Oscar and Mata as wide as it looks in the code but you get the idea.

Bit of an over reaction from everyone. Somehow this same defense that defended for their lives to win the Champions League suddenly went to complete ****? Just a very bad day at the office. I think the team will actually learn a lot from this game and clean up a lot of the little mistakes that may not have been over exposed recently.

Much rather have a wake up call against Atletico than in the league. Just had one of those games that all teams have throughout a season. Ivanovic and Luiz were brutal, Torres had no service what so ever and our midfield was non existent. Roll on QPR to put things right.

Watching Falcao in the flesh was amazing, as were several of their other players I can't name.

Watching Chelsea less so. We looked weak in midfield, bullied at times. Also our fancier attacking players don't really offer protection on the flanks. I think teams will double up on our fullbacks a lot this season. Bertrand might become an important player for us. Also Ramires on the right is a waste.

Bit of an over reaction from everyone. Somehow this same defense that defended for their lives to win the Champions League suddenly went to complete ****? Just a very bad day at the office. I think the team will actually learn a lot from this game and clean up a lot of the little mistakes that may not have been over exposed recently.

I have woken up this morning and everything is a little more calm now. I do hope this was just our bad game that we needed to have and tbh apart from in the League Cup or the Community Shield this would have been the game to have our bad day. I think we underestimated both Atletico and Falcao and by the time we woke up it was too late. We were out of the game and didn't look like we were interested in getting back into it. It's too early to worry this is how we will play all season and I think after October is done the this team will really be tested. By then we will have played Arsenal away, Spurs away and United at home.

As other people have said, there aren't many other teams we could have played that a striker would of scored all 3 of those chances. Not to say that's a good thing that we allowed them but imagine if he had put the 2nd goal wide and the first had hit the post and come out. Then though there is the other that hit the bar and the post :D Just a shocking performance really but as long as we can take a look and improve what we did badly then hopefully it makes us better. The hardest thing for me now is we have to wait 2 weeks to redeem ourselves and we can't just go out on Wednesday or next Saturday and get a win to get over this.

Lets not pretend we couldn't have got stuffed about 10-0 by Barca and Bayern if they finished the chances they had, it wasn't some monster defensive performance, it was weak as **** finishing that let us win the CL. Bayern had something like 35 shots and 20+ on target. For a one off we might get away with it but who wants to rely on luck instead of having a solid defence in the first place? Bring back Steve Clarke :/

Would love to know why this manager also refuses to play your one real defensive midfielder.

I presume your talking about Romeu? I agree we should give him more of a chance. He looked good last year although he messed up a couple of things in a few games. Still I think he should get a chance.

Makes losing last night a bit easier now that Spurs drew at home to Norwich, who hadn't looked the same side they were last year in the first 2 games.

I'm surprised we didn't get another CB in this transfer window

Think the plan was always to sign a right back and then Ivanovic can cover if needed. That's 4 first team centre backs, plus Bruma is still technically ours isn't he? Out on loan last season and this but when he got a few games for us in Ancelotti's first season iirc I liked the look of him. Also Hutchinson and Chalobah in the youths plus several others I'm probably forgetting.

Archived