Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that occurred to me tonight was how good it is to not see as much of the tactics we used to come up against when we played the smaller European teams in the Cup Winners Cup. Sparta, Steaua and most of the clubs we play in the early stages of the Champions League these days actually play football and commit a few players forward.

It used to drive me mental when they literally kept all 11 players behind the ball for the entire match and the timewasting used to be ridiculous literally from the opening minutes they would take ages over every goal kick and players randomly falling over clutching bits of their body every few minutes.

Decent draw but annoying we have the away leg just before Spurs :thdn:

Something I was thinking last night, Ramires has picked a good time to get back to form :D

Don't underestimate Rubin, only conceded 4 goals in 10 games in Europe so far this season. Have had big scalps before too. Cant wait for the games, at least they'll be on TV due to playing you guys.

You guys (maybe Spurs) should really be winning the EL from here.

Would you be the first team to win CL and then EL the next year?

Would Rafa get the job if he wins it?

Don't underestimate Rubin, only conceded 4 goals in 10 games in Europe so far this season. Have had big scalps before too. Cant wait for the games, at least they'll be on TV due to playing you guys.

Oh yeah I know that, but a preferable draw to Spurs or Benfica (at least) imo

On paper yes they look weak, I'll give you that. But any team who gets this far needs to be respected, especially after knocking out last years winners (granted a bit of luck in that one :D). Will be a very tough tie for Chelsea. I can see a goalless draw or a narrow win for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and Rubin keeping a clean sheet at home.

It's not even on paper.

Don't look like a side that could trouble us over two legs - Rubin were pretty lackluster in the groups and have been grinding out matches since then. The only way Rubin cause us problems is if we play poorly/perform under expectations.

Look at Rubin over the past few years in Europe against big teams, this is how they play. They sit deep, grind out results and concede very few goals. They are very good at dead ball situations too, lots of headed goals scored, as well as direct free kicks. I seem to recall Chelsea have conceded quite a lot from corners etc this season.

Will be good games, looking forward to them.

Look at Rubin over the past few years in Europe against big teams, this is how they play. They sit deep, grind out results and concede very few goals. They are very good at dead ball situations too, lots of headed goals scored, as well as direct free kicks. I seem to recall Chelsea have conceded quite a lot from corners etc this season.

Will be good games, looking forward to them.

Suggy is the scout man for all things, Rubin related. Done all the Rubin team threads in the good player and team guide. Rondon the obvious dangerman. Tore plays for them as well. Use to play at us.

Thought it was. That will be why then.

Was also hoping Swansea could help us by beating/drawing with Arsenal. Were unlucky with the first goal as Arteta should have been called for a foul and it was a lucky finish as well. 2nd goal Swansea just got done on the counter.

Thing is we need to make changes but we NEED to win this game. We still have Spurs at home, Liverpool away and United away in the league so we need maximum points in games like this. Would expect most of those you mentioned back in but wouldn't be surprised if I saw Torres still in the team. Actually wouldn't mind that for once as if he can play like he did in the last 20 mins against Steau (bar missing the pen) he may actually be useful :D

Got it on in the background although I am supposed to be working on my dissertation :o

Haven't managed to see the goals yet but what a great start. Would be brilliant if they could win this competition. Then of course the biggest challenge comes of actually getting some first team action.

Baker has improved so much, considering the step up he has made to reserve team football. Kiwomya is another good talent. Philip or someone who knows his game a little more than I do, is he thought of to be a big prospect at the club? Same applies to Baker, good talent but with our policy can you see either of them making it here?

How's John Swift looking? I don't get to watch as many youth games as before, but remember him as being a very solid, consistent performer with a firm grasp on the fundamentals of his position and a decent combination of strength and skill.

How's John Swift looking? I don't get to watch as many youth games as before, but remember him as being a very solid, consistent performer with a firm grasp on the fundamentals of his position and a decent combination of strength and skill.

He was my favourite player from the cup run last season. Thought he was excellent. Some what stalled this season though. Just came on as a sub. Phil prob knows a bit more about him.

Or the people upstairs would rather buy someone average than promote. Hopefully when this group gets a bit older that will stop being the case.

All of these players being younger than me has well and truly crushed my dream of being a pro footballer though :( (though tbf I should have got the message from being an average player for a crap youth side here anyway :D)

Or the people upstairs would rather buy someone average than promote. Hopefully when this group gets a bit older that will stop being the case.

All of these players being younger than me has well and truly crushed my dream of being a pro footballer though :( (though tbf I should have got the message from being an average player for a crap youth side here anyway :D)

It was when Sterling played for England that my dreams were crushed :D

Yeah that as well, think he must be the only full England international younger than me (May 94) though, hopefully it stays like that for a while!

Yeah same though Chamberlain was running it pretty close!

Luke Shaw soon to follow :D

He is one of England's many decent left backs he may have to wait a bit :D

Archived