Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having mannone and santos in the team doesnt help to be honest, plus Coquelin and and jenkis are still learning, so hes having to play in a weak team

Eh? You've just named two players who are playing out of their skin for us. Especially Jenkinson. Ramsey is one of the reasons why we are a weak team.

Well, we played him last season in his preferred position and I can count on one hand the amount of good games he had? Also, our best period in form came when he was out of the team. Our best period of form this season came without Ramsey, we're currently in our worst part and Ramsey has started every game.

I don't care how good he was pre injury, look at Eduardo. Look what he become. Ramsey is the same.

In fact I agree totally.

He got good reviews when he played 'out of position' against Man City. There were voices that he should have played there ahead of Gervinho against Norwich to make our front 3 less 'direct'. The thing is, when he was played in that centre of the central 3 role, he was not poor. he was just pointless. It is worrying when you are only half useful when you play out of position, isn't it?

Secondly and most importantly, the best part of last season for us started when 2 things happened to us: Sagna and Rosicky. In Sagna we had a reliable defender and great attacker on the wing. In Rosicky we had a player who was fighting all over the pitch all the time. Pressing, tackling, passing and running. And even shooting sometimes.

And IMO this is our biggest weakness now. Everyone one of Rosicky, Diaby and Wilshere could make this team tick when played between Arteta and Cazorla. There is an obvious need for some energy and movement in this midfield which cannot be offered by Ramsey or Coquelin (although he showed some positive signs in the 2nd half today). Either one of the 3 returns or Wenger has to come out with a new plan soon.

Eh? You've just named two players who are playing out of their skin for us. Especially Jenkinson. Ramsey is one of the reasons why we are a weak team.

Aye, i dont have many bad things to say about coquelin or jenki's really, just at the moment i dont think we should have to be relying on either of them against top teams but sadly we are, like ive said in previous posts, a while back we still didnt address our defensive issues, we should of got a proper left back to give gibbs competition not santos, and a world class goalkeeper to keep chesneys ego in check and keep him focused on progressing, but we get left with mannone who trys bless him but he wont ever be good enough to be our number 1.

How is it over the top? I would say that Denilson contributed in his games than Ramsey ever has in his. At least Denilson didn't spend the entire game with his arms out trying to show the crowd that there is no one to pass too, or pointless backheels.

Denilson is just another player that has no ability to enforce a game with strength, like Ramsey and Coquelin (of whom i'm a big fan). Ramsey is half the player he was before his injury and spends most of his time trying overly elaborate passes which rarely come off....he does the same for Wales too, not just an Arsenal thing. Santos is just horrible but sadly he's all we have when Gibbs picks up one of his usual 10 a season injuries. Diaby is the same, had he been injury free for most of his career, he'd be a world class player of the highest order and probably be sold to Barca by now.

Last nights game was crying out for some strength in the midfield, i'd have started with Kos and Per at the back and moved Vermaelen into a holding role in midfield allowing Arteta and Santi to get forward. I'd have also dropped Gervinho, maybe without a replacement, he was that bad on the ball and struggled off it too.

Another AST member Nigel Phillips questioning the club/RvP ambition. This is by far and away the ugliest, rowdiest AGM I've attended.

Gazidis: "We are losing a little bit of order here" - in response to angry shareholders shouting opposition about way Arsenal being run

Well this is fun. Actual shambles of a club.

Stan "we have a record of reinvestment."

Hill-Wood & Gazidis say "money is available for #afc to strengthen as he sees fit." RvP sale for "football reasons, not FFP."

Some Arsenal AGM gems. Same old lies.

I might be in the majority here, but I believe Arsenal offered RVP a contract based on what they believed he was worth, taking into consideration that a) he's historically injury prone, b) he's had 1 great year in 8 at the club whilst showing only glimpses in the previous ones and c) fit into the wage structure that suits the clubs accounts. We COULD have offered him £200k a week or whatever, but wheres the justification in that? You then get other players in the club demanding the same/similar. Sagna, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Walcott all demanding the same or close to it and suddenly with 5 players, we're potentially paying circa £1m a WEEK to less than half the team. Throw in the wages of the rest of the club and you then have a weekly wage bill almost double that of game income. (3/4 home games a month, £8m total roughly? vs £3m per week club wage bill, thats a loss of £4m a month). Doesn't take a genius to work out where that leads. Lets not have FM finances cloud judgement here, they're hardly indicative of real finance.

The figures i've suggested may not be 100% accurate, but you get the gist.

We didn't offer RvP a contract.

And no one can tell me that selling your best player to Manchester United was/is a footballing decision.

Wenger speaking at the AGM now to restore order. He's just a much better man than anyone at the club, he really doesn't deserve this.

And no one can tell me that selling your best player to Manchester United was/is a footballing decision.

Wenger speaking at the AGM now to restore order. He's just a much better man than anyone at the club, he really doesn't deserve this.

Where are you watching/listening to this?

Seeing alot of tweets about it, an people are tearing then ro shreds. Only person that sounds like they are giving reasonable answers is wenger, well atleast until he said qualifying for CL is winning a trophy in itself...

Yeah he explained that away by stating players always ask "are you in CL" before they talk about other real trophies like FA Cup etc.

But hey it's another out of context quote people can use to beat Wenger with ;)

Raise a hand if you are eagerly awaiting Sy's version of the AGM, specifically that quote?

o|

I believe Arsenal were going to but then RVP made it clear that he wouldn't sign whatever they offered him so they didn't formally offer it.

Typical AGM though Wenger is right about the champions league thing if you put it into context.

Rowdy AGM will achieve nothing. Wenger did have a clear swipe at Kroenke though which is as interesting as the hole thing got

Unbelievable. Just staggering.

Lets carry on winning nothing and getting richer. Brilliant.

If you ask the majority of Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal fans if they'd rather finish 4th and get CL football and win nothing, or finish 5th or 6th and win the FA Cup or the League Cup, I am pretty sure they'd take the former.

Another ridiculous AGM for a club with absolutely no ambition, direction or leadership.

The evasion of the question on dividends tells you all you need to know.

All it told me was they knew it was controversial so they gave the technically correct answer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9634840/Arsenal-set-to-sign-25-million-shirt-deal-with-Adidas.html# that is a big deal. Same size as Liverpool possibly bigger than Chelsea's and Man U's though I believe the latter gets a slice of the profits and has just signed that ridiculous deal with Chevrolet

Saw an article a few days ago about united, http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/manchester-united-eye-record-1-billion-nike-deal kind of dwarfs our deal...

You seem to be forgetting that Denilson's complete lack of desire to track runners directly cost us a lot of goals. Ramsey may not be having a great time at the moment but he's not a direct cause of goal leaks like Denilson was.
the same can be said about pretty much all of your players, its a tactical and training related issue, probably something that Wenger and his staff dont consider important enough to teach the youngsters

Gazidis xsmug

I actually like Ivan fwiw, gets a lot of ****, but he doesn't deserve it, is just a mouthpiece at the end of the day. I think he is a good man.

I agree. He seems to be good at his job tbh, not convinced by his bonus payments though. However this area is down to Tom Fox and the rest of the commercial team.

Saw an article a few days ago about united, http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/manchester-united-eye-record-1-billion-nike-deal kind of dwarfs our deal...

Yeah I saw that I was just comparing to current deals; also if it was leaked it clearly means the club is trying to create an auction.

the same can be said about pretty much all of your players, its a tactical and training related issue, probably something that Wenger and his staff dont consider important enough to teach the youngsters

Disagree; the Denilson issue doesn't apply to that many who are or were playing with the role of shielding the defence or of being part of the shield. Therefore I don't think it is a tactical nor a training issue

Superb comments from Frank...

Frank McLintock insists Arsenal are ‘drifting’ and fears they are as far away from success as they’ve ever been.

Chief executive Ivan Gazidis told the club’s AGM it would be another two years before the Gunners are able to compete financially with the game’s leading sides, but McLintock says that is not good enough.

The man who led the north London giants to the League and FA Cup Double in 1971 told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “I think they’re drifting. They didn’t tell us [when they built the Emirates] it would take between seven and 12 years to start to achieve success.

“We keep on selling our best players and bring in other players that are not quite up to the same standard and you have to be extremely lucky to continue to do that season after season. You might get away with it once or twice but you won’t get away with it four or five times.

“There is a lack of transparency. It would be nice if [Arsene] Wenger or the board came out and said this is the situation we’re in, these are our plans, it might take another year or two but this is where we’re going to go. But we don’t know. It’s always promises, promises and then in the end it’s disappointing.”

Wenger insists qualifying for the Champions League is more important than winning a trophy, but McLintock insists the supporters want something tangible to boast about.

He added: “The top four is essential, it really is, because you get so much money if you stay in there. But for a club like Arsenal that’s not enough.

“We have the most expensive tickets, the most expensive food and drink, but we don’t put top quality players on the pitch, so why are we playing so much for so little for so long?

“Getting in the top four [every season] is a great record, but he needs a cup and how are we going to compete with these top teams and when is it going to happen?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9634840/Arsenal-set-to-sign-25-million-shirt-deal-with-Adidas.html# that is a big deal. Same size as Liverpool possibly bigger than Chelsea's and Man U's though I believe the latter gets a slice of the profits and has just signed that ridiculous deal with Chevrolet

As far as I'm aware United's current deal is slightly more than £25m. That will definitely increase when they arrange a new deal but it's also irrelevant: we're not competing commercially with United. They have a huge head start on us and a global brand that we can't come close to in the foreseeable future. What we need to do is close the gap that's opened up with Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

As far as I'm aware United's current deal is slightly more than £25m. That will definitely increase when they arrange a new deal but it's also irrelevant: we're not competing commercially with United. They have a huge head start on us and a global brand that we can't come close to in the foreseeable future. What we need to do is close the gap that's opened up with Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

I thinks its less with a profit share but it's irrelevant as their new one will blow ours out of the water. We should do as well as those three clubs commercially tbh if not better than city

Archived