Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

This is very disappointing however it's not a disaster. The squad is good enough to finish in the top four. We still have a good first XI; however I am worried about the depth particularly in the centre of midfield with 2 players with dodgy injury records to say the least and another coming back from a very long time out. I feel we could have done with another central midfield player and forward type player with Theo's uncertain future and Gervinho's ability to promise a lot and deliver so little.

We dont want to finish in the top 4!! this should NOT be an acceptable aim for arsenal!!

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is pathetic though really, we're showing no ambition and this happens every single year. where is silent stan? i would like him to speak out.

sure, sure, lets settle for battling out 4th though. i assume we could sign m'vila and others to replace what we have lost but lets not bother, lets just settle for diaby, the returning man. where's that song and rvp money gone?

useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless, useless

We dont want to finish in the top 4!! this should NOT be an acceptable aim for arsenal!!

Sorry but what else should we be aiming for? Winning the league? How exactly, when we're competing with teams who are backed by some of the richest men on the planet.

This is very disappointing however it's not a disaster. The squad is good enough to finish in the top four. We still have a good first XI; however I am worried about the depth particularly in the centre of midfield with 2 players with dodgy injury records to say the least and another coming back from a very long time out. I feel we could have done with another central midfield player and forward type player with Theo's uncertain future and Gervinho's ability to promise a lot and deliver so little.

If Spurs get Moutinho then they are probably favourites for fourth really.

And it's a disaster because the squad and team is much weaker than last year. And finishing fourth is not what football is all about. Not for a club like Arsenal.

you can at least try and spend the money you have to strengthen the squad. we sit back, relax, take it easy and weaken whilst everyone around us gets stronger. who saves us this season now that rvp is gone? what if giroud/podolski breaks a leg or podolski and giroud fail to settle and score? i'm guessing in that case chamakh is our 50 goal man to put us up to 4th

Sorry but what else should we be aiming for? Winning the league? How exactly, when we're competing with teams who are backed by some of the richest men on the planet.

So we should definitely just accept defeat and aim for just fourth? That is not what professional sport is all about.

No, but let's be realistic, we can't afford to buy players for £30 million and pay them £200,000 a week, therefore we're going to miss out on the best players, and therefore we aren't going to win the league unless Financial fair play actually works.

2 and a half hours for wenger to put a smile on my face......he better do it!! m'vila, and a striker please!! MINIMUM

This fixation on M'Vila is truly horrific. He is not a solution to all our problems and he isn't the only holding mid who is any good.

Top 4 is a realistic objective I want us to do more but compared to the 3 teams above us we are at a significant financial disadvantage. That doesn't mean we couldn't compete better through a more efficient wage budget and better planning in the transfer market. We should compete much better than we did last season and I hope we do but I am not convinced we will.

The only player who we stand a vague chance of signing is Dempsey as his move has collapsed but I seriously doubt it will happen

Should also be remembered that we only have room for one more non-HG player in our squad

No, but let's be realistic, we can't afford to buy players for £30 million and pay them £200,000 a week, therefore we're going to miss out on the best players, and therefore we aren't going to win the league unless Financial fair play actually works.

Nope. We win leagues and compete by being clever with our transfers. We competed with United for ages who were far richer than us. Why? Because we made some excellent, shrewd signings.

The problem is that other teams scouting systems have improved and we have gotten complacent. Look at players like Cabaye. Was cheap and would have improved our first team. That's the sort of signing that we made 10 years ago. 2/3 of those and we compete for the league.

You're living in the past, City and Chelsea are nothing like 1990s Man Utd financially. And everybody twigged that there might be some good players to be had abroad ages ago, Wenger doesn't hold the virtual monopoly that he did once.

You're living in the past, City and Chelsea are nothing like 1990s Man Utd financially. And everybody twigged that there might be some good players to be had abroad ages ago, Wenger doesn't hold the virtual monopoly that he did once.

and you're living in Arsenal propaganda land. Where nothing is Arsenals fault, just everybody else's.

We have 'failed' as a football club since 2005.

I agree with AJW about us no longer having the advantage in the transfer market we once had. For me the biggest issue is the wage structure it's nuts.

People should wait before passing strong judgements about the window until we have played a bit more

exactly, newcastles squad cost them something like £40million and last year they managed to make huge improvements and end up coming close to champions league football, you add a few breakthrough signings and you can end up much stronger. players like arteta have proved massive worth and they are hardly £30million, £100k p/w signings.

you don't need to be signing eden hazard etc to guarantee we are stronger, it would be much simpler but it's not an impossible task to improve if you spend some money. sit back, do you get anywhere further??

I agree with AJW about us no longer having the advantage in the transfer market we once had. For me the biggest issue is the wage structure it's nuts.

People should wait before passing strong judgements about the window until we have played a bit more

Cannot agree with the last comment really. Certainly not when talking about the midfield. Selling Song and buying no one makes us much weaker.

Not a disaster because the squad is good enough to go backwards? Fantastic! It's the sh*t eating mugs like you who allow the club to get away with it..

That is where we are at so hardly backwards

exactly, newcastles squad cost them something like £40million and last year they managed to make huge improvements and end up coming close to champions league football, you add a few breakthrough signings and you can end up much stronger. players like arteta have proved massive worth and they are hardly £30million, £100k p/w signings.

you don't need to be signing eden hazard etc to guarantee we are stronger, it would be much simpler but it's not an impossible task to improve if you spend some money. sit back, do you get anywhere further??

I agree completely. It wouldn't huge signings to take us to the next level and I am disappointed that we haven't done it.

For the record I think we will play better and get more points this season compared last.

However it is irritating that the money which is there is not being used however Wenger is a good manager I am just unconvinced by this to say the least

I think when wage structure is a problem then you need to get a little inventive sometimes with bonuses, signing on fees, etc. There are ways to make things more appealing. It's not like Arsenal are the only side with a wage structure. Spurs have one and are constantly buying players and not every player needs to be of the top, top level, you're not getting the likes of Hazard, etc, everyone knows that

You assume. What exactly is incorrect about what I said then?

Look at Spurs last season. Up until Feb/March time they actually competed for the title. A couple of Cabaye/Arteta signings and they possibly win the League.

Look at us in 09/10 and 10/11. Believe it or not we actually competed for the title up until March time. Squad lacked a couple of Cabaye/Arteta players. With them we possibly win the league.

I think when wage structure is a problem then you need to get a little inventive sometimes with bonuses, signing on fees, etc. There are ways to make things more appealing. It's not like Arsenal are the only side with a wage structure. Spurs have one and are constantly buying players and not every player needs to be of the top, top level, you're not getting the likes of Hazard, etc, everyone knows that

Not quite what I was getting at

The issue for us is that our squad players are paid very competitively which makes them harder to shift which means now with the advent of the 25 man squad we are restricted in how many we can buy if Wenger remains loyal to all his players.

4th actually comes after 3rd;

1, 2, 3, 4

Little need to be facetious

Look at Spurs last season. Up until Feb/March time they actually competed for the title. A couple of Cabaye/Arteta signings and they possibly win the League.

Look at us in 09/10 and 10/11. Believe it or not we actually competed for the title up until March time. Squad lacked a couple of Cabaye/Arteta players. With them we possibly win the league.

I agree completely.

And who are would a 'Cabaye' signing be this year? Easy to say, 'Grrr we should have bought Cabaye' after he's had a season in England and done really well, but all you lot are doing is moaning when we are linked with a player. Moaned when we bought a load of players on deadline day last year, moaning this year now that we've signed nobody. Worse than the Scousers ffs.

GREAT!! hugo lloris signed to tottingham. why werent arsenal in for him?? tottingham are making some good signings here! same for QPR!! wenger must be sleeping or on a yacht somewhere.....without his phone and internet!

And who are would a 'Cabaye' signing be this year? Easy to say, 'Grrr we should have bought Cabaye' after he's had a season in England and done really well, but all you lot are doing is moaning when we are linked with a player. Moaned when we bought a load of players on deadline day last year, moaning this year now that we've signed nobody. Worse than the Scousers ffs.

Nice try, but I spent last summer saying that we should have signed Cabaye. And again, the rest is your generalising. A sign that you are losing this argument.

GREAT!! hugo lloris signed to tottingham. why werent arsenal in for him?? tottingham are making some good signings here! same for QPR!! wenger must be sleeping or on a yacht somewhere.....without his phone and internet!

We don't nee Hugo Lloris. Be annoyed about us not signing Moutinho and Dembele, but not a goalkeeper.

So what if we do scrape 4th? Wenger tells everyone that losing is winning, rewards the failures with new contracts, but not the players who deserve it.

Our 12/13 player of the season vomits in his own mouth and f*cks off to a real club. I’m sick of it.

People should calm down as tbh it is only football if it makes you this unhappy stop following it. I can understand ST holders get very unhappy especially with the exorbitant prices they have to pay but us? It's a waste of energy to get this upset about it

Lets go ahead and not add another goalkeeper to the six or so we already have. I am very sad to know he is a Spurs player though, and he's another mid range buy, the highly rated french international goalkeeper.

These mid range buys at £10-15million or so are very good. Cazorla, Allen, Dembele etc all at that range and all real quality and look like good signings, consider more of them and we could be impressive. We don't need £30million big boys. Spurs have a good and exciting mentality, their fans must be delighted.

People should calm down as tbh it is only football if it makes you this unhappy stop following it. I can understand ST holders get very unhappy especially with the exorbitant prices they have to pay but us? It's a waste of energy to get this upset about it

Speak for yourself! I am one of those season ticket holders.

Waste of energy :D. What is this?

Nice try, but I spent last summer saying that we should have signed Cabaye. And again, the rest is your generalising. A sign that you are losing this argument.

I could say the same about your petty point scoring.

I'm done with this though, whatever will be, will be this season. I'll just enjoy it whatever happens, you have fun moaning and complaining whenever we lose a game, or Wenger doesn't follow your transfer master plan.

We just want the best for the club, and with these problems we aren't getting it.

It's hard to enjoy it when you're settling for a meaningless 4th each year, trophy less . Go on Arsenal, move forward. The resources are there. We have had this same transfer window situation for years, why settle for it and accept it?

I could say the same about your petty point scoring.

I'm done with this though, whatever will be, will be this season. I'll just enjoy it whatever happens, you have fun moaning and complaining whenever we lose a game, or Wenger doesn't follow your transfer master plan.

Again, nice try, but you've failed to describe me at all.

Transfer master plan? Nah, just any transfer plan would be nice, clearly we dont currently have one. It quite clearly was Sahin or nobody. Here's an idea Arsene, dont sell Song unless you were going to replace him.

Again, nice try, but you've failed to describe me at all

Course I have pal.

And again, the rest is your generalising. A sign that you are losing this argument.

Didn't realize you were the argument referee. Sick life bro.

Archived