Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Absolutely no idea how manure is a munich reference. I'm too busy laughing at the dog analogy to really work out how it could be.

I've always assumed that "manure" was just a reference to animal poo.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh haven't seen the insanity reference posted in a few pages.

If song goes too it'll be an interesting few weeks to see who we bring in. We need 2-3 big players really. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later. A few injuries and I can see a repeat of last years problems in the opening few games

Right. Where to start.

Not fussed about RvP going. Bit **** that he's gone to United, but I miss having someone to really hate. Absolute snake of a human.

Gregg Carter is literally offended by everything. Manure is not a Munich reference. It is really cringeworthy however. Which is the same word I can use to describe Scoots reaction. Giroud and Podolski is an ugrade on RvP, Chamakh and Park. And I'm still convinced we sign a striker.

The only thing I am disappointed in is that we seem to have missed out on Sahin. Song can go as long as we bring in M'Vila. I'm still mega excited about the season.

We've always have qualms over Song's wandering around, he'd probably suit Barca. We need a proper holding mid, Song does a job, but now Cazorla's in, there's no need for him to go wandering around and he can sit deep. If he's not up for that, then let him go.

There are so many conspiracy theories that come to mind when reading Sy's posts and reaction it gets. Like it is Arsenal's management trying to make their critics look like erm..not quite reasonable? Trying to indirectly force people to defend anything club does? :D

Anyway, it is big news but should have been anticipated. Him going to MU is not ideal but if that was the only good offer then be it. One way of looking at it is that MU ae still out of our reach, another is that they took a big risk at paying so much for a 29 yo player who in truth had only one great season in English football and hasn't made a big move like this before in his career. The bad thing is what I read today: apparently van Gaal decided RvP will be only a sub player for the national team ;)

What I worry about is that my pessimistic theory about us doing only as much as replacing key player's exits rather than improving the team can turn out true. What I feared was Wenger knew long time ago he'd lose RvP and Theo (won't sign an extension and as a result will be sold near the end of the window), so he brought Giroud and Podolski to replace them. Cazorla is the proper replacement for Cesc as it became clear to Wenger that Ramsey won't be good enough for some time at least and Rosicky can't keep up this sort of form for entire season, especially as his health was ruined by Arsenal and Czech Rep national team at the end of last season. I really hope it is not true, especially as Wlacott seems to be getting a totally different treatment when it comes to selecting team than van Persie was.

And there is the Song transfer. I don't believe it is forced by financial motivation, so maybe he really wants to leave and Arsene decided it's better to let him go. Everyone can be replaced, but it is a big question: will we be able to do it and will the new player be able to adopt quickly? For me Song is so important for the team that his departure will hurt for a long time no matter what solution Wenger comes up with.

[video=youtube;mJ8z4cFTlV8]

How are you shocked? He was never staying in a million years, we all knew this was coming in some form or the other.

I was fully aware he was leaving and was fully aware that United was ultimately a possible destination. But it's one thing reading about it in the papers every day and another seeing it happen - it's pretty devastating and I don't think you can blame any of us for feeling pretty let down and frustrated by this. Naturally a lot of people will blame RvP, a lot of people will blame Wenger and a lot will blame those higher up at the club. I think myself all three of those have had an influence in this happening.

We do need to bring in one more striker I think. Llorente would be excellent: I'd be over the moon if we signed him, but I'm not expecting it. Realistically if we do replace van Persie I doubt it will be a £10m+ deal for somebody like Llorente and indeed we may well even look internally for solutions - somebody mentioned pushing Theo forward, dare I say it I'd be content if Bendtner committed providing we played him down the middle.

Considering you guys have not won the league since 2004 and nothing since your 2005 FA Cup win I am surprised he stayed with you guys so long

He's had 18 months (give or take) of excellent form, he's not been playing out of his skin since 2004 by any stretch. Flashes of brilliance, yes - we were always aware of what he could do given a consistent spell without injury or mental deficiency but it's only in the last year or so he's actually managed that.

Wenger and Gazidis are dead to me.

:D Sorry I know this is trolling, but seriously! Piers Morgan in disguise? I do love you and djvandyke, fantastic to read your posts!

On a serious note, at least you guys have anticipated this and got replacements in already. I expect you guys to do well next season, Carloza especially is an excellent signing.

edit- in fact sy13's post with the 'manure' comment was even better!

I do like Confused Clarity, but certainly an overreaction to expect sy13 to know about the Munich reference.

Been sharing a few things on the Wojciech Szczesny Facebook page tonight and if you think Sy is bad then check out a few of these comments :D

RVP are disgrace of a human, rapist and a c**t. Szczes, you on the other hand have the potential to be a true Arsenal legend.

Jimmy

betrayal can never be forgiven.. if he joins united, i wish him all the worst - career ending injury or at least long term one

Piekny

lets hope he has a car crash on his way to Wankchester

Colin

Shocking. Mother ****er has 1 good season and thinks he's god. Have fun keeping the injury table warm once you fall apart. Again.

Jordan

A lot of nasty people out there, a lot of anger out there!

Speaking about internationals, livescore tells me Cazorla and Fabregas scored for Spain today.

Szczesny played for Poland in our 1-0 defeat to Estonia. He may be lifted by the fact he reclaimed the GK spot and he looked sharp for most of the game, but on the other hand Estonia's slightly against the run of play goal was a 91st minute well taken direct free kick. Made me think about Sebastian Larsson instantly.

We do need to bring in one more striker I think. Llorente would be excellent: I'd be over the moon if we signed him, but I'm not expecting it. Realistically if we do replace van Persie I doubt it will be a £10m+ deal for somebody like Llorente and indeed we may well even look internally for solutions - somebody mentioned pushing Theo forward, dare I say it I'd be content if Bendtner committed providing we played him down the middle.
it would be more like £25m + for Llorente, Arsenal will never pay that, there's no need to get your hopes up

Llorente isn't all that exciting to me. what H.O.V.I said

Seen quite a few posts on forums about Llorente and i think he is a very good player, i just not sure we will ever get the best out of a player of his type. For the last 5 or so years we keep signing and trying to develop these big physical Centre forwards and have just signed another one in Giroud but other than Adebayor none have been a success but he had very good pace to go with his size.

I still think our deliver is not consistently good enough to take advantage and personally would love us to go after a pacey quick footed finisher, no clue who that maybe though.

I don't know so much who we can look at though?

Remy, Lewandowski? Don't know really, small market. Or there's that Walcott option mentioned but seems a bit MEH..

Llorente has signed for Juve.

FFS this is one of the worst days as an Arsenal fan in history.

This did bring a question to my mind, what is your worst day as an Arsenal fan? (Not just directed at Sy)

Mine would have to be the CL Final loss, the only time I've come close to crying over football.

This BBC piece makes interesting reading:

"It is understood Van Persie was encouraged by the arrivals of Germany forward Lukas Podolski, France striker Olivier Giroud and Spain midfielder Cazorla - to the point where he was open to the idea of staying with or without a new contract.

But Wenger pulled him aside shortly before Sunday's friendly victory over Cologne, told him he would be sold if a deal could be reached and informed the Dutchman he was no longer part of his plans."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19179833

Thoughts?

Yes, I was also agreeing with that comment from HOVI. There was Adebayor, Bendtner, Chamakh and now Giroud. The fiorst thought is that we are more suited to play with a more versatile and technical player, like van Persie. Maybe Podolski will play as a striker after all?

On the other hand, Adebayor was excellent in purely sport terms in his last season and Chamakh really good before he lost his form, so maybe it is possible for us to play with a big striker? Bendtner never really got the chance he deserved and probably will never get it, which is a shame, I really don't blame him for wanting to leave. Personally I feel Giroud will be a new Chamakh, can't see him scoring 15+ in the Prem, but it is more a feeling than an opinion based on knowledge of the player.

If we buy a striker it should be a certain first choice player. Don't even mention Lewandowski in this context.

This did bring a question to my mind, what is your worst day as an Arsenal fan? (Not just directed at Sy)

Mine would have to be the CL Final loss, the only time I've come close to crying over football.

I really felt bad when Cesc's departure was confirmed and just before that when the news was circulating that the transfer was agreed.

As inevitable as its been for the last couple of weeks, I'm gutted. Not just because he was our best player but he was my favourite player. Not just a great player but a great player to watch. Unbelievable.

Yes we have signed some good proven players in their prime for decent money already, but surely we must expect another signing now. That 24 million must go straight back into the squad.

my sources. Or its been plastered over the media recently. £20m would get him.

Did someone really say that selling Cesc was his worst moment as a Arsenal fan? What about the 99 Cup Semi, Cup final 01, Leeds in 1999, CHELSEA IN 04?

Did someone really say that selling Cesc was his worst moment as a Arsenal fan? What about the 99 Cup Semi, Cup final 01, Leeds in 1999, CHELSEA IN 04?

What *someone* said was he was very sad when it was announced Cesc would leave for a club *someone* kind of hates. I guess it was a mix of how important Cesc became for the team and what potential he had plus how it was being presented in the media until last days so that we could have hoped it was all juts another show of Spanish media's abilities. The van Persie story is totally different in many aspects.

As for my worst day as an Arsenal fan I can't really think of any specific date. I get down and angry so often at our defeats or even draws it is impossible to choose.

Bilbao will accept just under £20m for Llorente. Its on.
Josu Urrutia (the current club president) have stated its buy out or he stays, which should be about £28,6m...and also mentioned that we are not a selling club in the process

recall reading that Pérez and Urrutia have a good relationship, so its possible that he will go for less if Real Madrid want him as much as they did last year, and if he leaves on a free transfer next year, then Real would probably also be a very possible destination

• SI Staff
Loïc Rémy, anyone?

Not good enough. Only worth buying a striker if they are top class, I don't think we are actually too bad a position on the striker front. Best thing is to get rid of those going and resolve the futures of Song and Walcott.

Josu Urrutia (the current club president) have stated its buy out or he stays, which should be about £28,6m...and also mentioned that we are not a selling club in the process

recall reading that Pérez and Urrutia have a good relationship, so its possible that he will go for less if Real Madrid want him as much as they did last year, and if he leaves on a free transfer next year, then Real would probably also be a very possible destination

Our manager last year said that we would not sell both Cesc and Nasri and that we don't sell our top players. People lie, in football more-so. Come August 31st I think Bilbao accept £20m.

Who is there as a first choice striker we can get? We're not exactly Higuian or Cavani level.

I dont think we should sign him, but why arent we at Cavani's level? Last time I checked he played for Napoli.

Assume Vermaelen will be captain yeah. REALLY hope it's Arteta.

I dont think we should sign him, but why arent we at Cavani's level? Last time I checked he played for Napoli.

because someone like chelsea would immediately just come along and blow us away most likely.

maybe if no one else got involved and we offered a nice contract he'd be interested.

Not good enough. Only worth buying a striker if they are top class, I don't think we are actually too bad a position on the striker front. Best thing is to get rid of those going and resolve the futures of Song and Walcott.

I still think that one more striker would be the best outcome. I think Alex Song's gone, too. His attitude's been described as 'disgusting'. I applaud Arsène for addressing these issues in such a uncharacteristically ruthless manner.

I'm going to say that two more players will come in this Summer. One being a replacement for Song.

Archived