Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giroud looks very promising. Getting into good positions, and if he does that all season, he'll score goals.

Podolski although clinical, was comparatively quiet. In fact, our right flank has been far busier than our left.

Cazorla and the Ox running the show in central midfield.

Santi Cazorla is fabulous, will easily be the best player in the Premier League.

haha what a massive over reaction to one half of a friendly. Now I'm confident he will be good, but lets not be stupid... oh wait I forgot who I am talking to. nvm

So, first game of the season, what would your starting XI be. Remember Sagna is injured so RB is between Jenkinson and Yennaris. I think I'd go for this:

551c2270c55c09559c49476a6ae80389.png?1344788748

But then I remember I've not included Arteta and Podolski. So difficult to choose now :D

Finishing position: 3rd

Champions league: Semi Final

FA Cup: Semi Final

League cup: Losing Finalist

Top Scorer: Podolski

Top assister: Arteta

Will there be more signings: Yes

Will RVP be here 1st September: Yes

Youth player to watch out for: Bartley (if he counts)

Surprise player of the season: Ramsey

Disappointment of the season: RVP (will stay and be nowhere as good as last year)

Also, would go for:

Woj; Coquellin, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs; Song; Cazorla, Arteta; Chamberlain, Giroud, Podolski.

AND, I haven't yet been in here to say how happy I am about us getting Santi. Absolutely adored the man when he was at Villarreal. :D

Finishing position: 4th

Champions league: Quarters

FA Cup: Finalists

League cup: 5th Round

Top Scorer: Giroud

Top assister: Theo

Youth player to watch out for: Gnabry

Surprise player of the season: Gervinho (if he counts)

Disappointment of the season: Wilshere

Be pessimistic here so I may be pleasantly surprised :)

I think we play more of a 4-2-3-1, than a 4-1-2-2-1, but there's definitely a lot of rotation and movement in that central midfield. Having said that, there's always one obviously more advanced midfielder, which is why I lean more towards 4-2-3-1. Just a number though,of course.

I think Gervinho made a couple bad mistakes today. One, not passing Podolski when he was wide open, and then the other when Arshavin set him up nicely but, he took too long. That's in addition to his general game performances we've seen in the past year. I wouldn't start him at the moment.

Personally, I think the team picks itself in 8/11 of positions, assuming Giroud is starting over RvP. The 3 contested positions, imo, are one of the central midfielder, and the 2 left-flankers.

Song and Cazorla pick themselves right now (assuming Cazorla is fit) because Song is the only decent defensive midfielder we have, and Cazorla is a class above everyone else in that attacking midfielder role. Fighting for the 3rd spot are Arteta, Diaby, and Ox. Personally, I vote for Arteta because Diaby is still unreliable (although he is obviously very talented) and Ox is still too young. Arteta was synonymous with consistency last year, and I think his experience, intelligence, and playmaking abilities, combined with his consistency make him the best choice.

At left back, it's obviously between Santos and Gibbs. It's quite clear why some people want this position strengthened. Neither player has really impressed over the other, which is a shame. It'll be a coin toss, I think.

At left flank, it's probably going to be between Gervinho and Podolski. I have a feeling Gervinho is fitter, but I much prefer Podolski. There was even talk of Podolski not being fit in time for the season, although he did have a good run out today. Personally, I think it comes down to Podolski fitness. If he's fit, there's no question, in my mind, he should start over Gervinho.

Given all the questions over quite a number of positions, Arsenal can be a real headache for fantasy managers earlier in the season, until the team settles down, especially with RvP's situation.

A word on Arshavin. He played well today, when he was played in his favourite position just behind the main striker. I never understood why he was so poor at left-wing, especially since he was allowed to roam inside very often. He even failed to do the most basic of things. Didn't help that he was also, in too many cases, undisciplined (common among our players,) lazy, and didn't seem all that determined to do well. I think if we keep him, he could still be a real asset, especially as a super sub. Switching between Cazorla and Arshavin for that attacking midfielder role isn't too shabby at all.

I think we'd lose too much defensively if we play Arshavin in the middle. The most advanced midfielder is vital in initiating the press - remember how influential Rosicky was when he suddenly found that energy at the end of last season. I doubt Arshavin would be prepared to put in that sort of effort off the ball and I'm not even sure he's got the stamina to do it.

Plus he's still very careless in possession a bit too often for my liking. Frankly I don't trust him in any position in the first team. Maybe as a sub for when we're chasing a game, but I think I'd rather see his massive wages off the books.

I know it's only Köln, but we played some fine football today. Giroud, considering it's his first game with us, was surprisingly impressive. Held the ball up well and his clever knock-downs, in particular the one to Santi Cazorla, were great to see. Did it incredibly well for Montpellier and for France, pre-Euro 2012.

Thought the defensive unit was much more stable. The second half, with the inclusion of Arshavin in a central role, forced Alex Song to sit much more. Prefer it that way.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has pulled out of the England squad for Wednesday. Ankle injury. Let's just hope it doesn't escalate into the same situation as you-know-who.

AS are also reporting that Nuri Sahin's close to joining us. Mundo Deportivo are saying today that Barça have bid €15 million (!!!) for Alex Song. :herman:

AS are also reporting that Nuri Sahin's close to joining us.

My Spanish is not what it used to be, but aren't they just saying that his future is likely to be sorted this week and we were the team that had shown the most interest previously? There doesn't seem to be anything new there.

I think it was £15m not euros. I'd take it, he isn't worth more than that.

Personally I'd say he's worth closer to £20m. Regardless, we're under no pressure to sell him so I think it's reasonable to demand that Barca pay a little over the odds if they really want him.

My Spanish is not what it used to be, but aren't they just saying that his future is likely to be sorted this week and we were the team that had shown the most interest previously? There doesn't seem to be anything new there.

Yes. "All indications are that it will be Arsenal" is the sentence which closes the article. Think this will be a good deal. Gives us another level of depth as well as relieving a heap of pressure on Jack Wilshere to return. AS say that this deal is 'independent' of the Luka Modric to Real Madrid transfer :thup:

Yes. "All indications are that it will be Arsenal" is the sentence which closes the article. Think this will be a good deal. Gives us another level of depth as well as relieving a heap of pressure on Jack Wilshere to return. AS say that this deal is 'independent' of the Luka Modric to Real Madrid transfer :thup:

Mmm, sounds like the kind of weasel words a journo comes up with to fluff up a piece to me. Hopefully you're right though!

I'd take £20million or above, they're the best club to sell to with ease. The best outcome there.

Personally I'd say he's worth closer to £20m. Regardless, we're under no pressure to sell him so I think it's reasonable to demand that Barca pay a little over the odds if they really want him.

Agree with this, he's a first choice CM and a very good one, no way should we just be selling up so easily.

Wonder how much an established replacement might cost as well.

Finishing position: Winners

Champions League: Semi

FA Cup: Winners

League Cup: Semi

Top Scorer: Olivier Giroud

Top Assister: Santi Cazorla

Youth player(s) to watch out for: Bartley

Surprise player of the season: Diaby

Disappointment of the season: Chamakh

Archived