Sports Interactive Community
Retro

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Selling Ramsey is a mental idea. As he is now he's the prefect squad player and he's young so there's still some growth there.

I don't agree. Being average doesnt automatically qualify him as an acceptable squad player. Likewise I wouldn't want TV5 as a squad player, he's just plain average and can't defend properly.

it does add up when we managed to finish 5 pts off 2nd this year

We only took 2 points off the biggest teams last season and we've struggled against them for many years now. Until that changes we will never win anything in my opinion.

Arsene Wenger is ready for a £70m bonanza on Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain, Borussia Dortmund's Ilkay Gundogan and Bayer Leverkusen's Lars Bender, according to The Daily Mail.

Wenger will be sweating on holding midfielder Gundogan in particular, with Real Madrid also reportedly circling on a player who Arsenal hope to nab for £20m. All three players would cost more than the club’s previous record splash on Russian Andri Arshavin.

I'd rather Gundogan to Bender and Fellaini

would be amazed if Gundogan was sold to anyone, let alone a team that's not significantly better than Dortmund.

I don't think we need top top names that would cost us 40 million, not that the likes of Cavani would be interested in us anyway.

We just need more Cazorlas. He was, in this crazy world, a mid-range buy at around 15 million. If we can get three of those, I'd be happy.

Really bizarre to list Cazorla as an example when he was only available so cheap due to Malaga's financial melt-down. If Malaga had money we'd have been looking at least 25M if not more.

There are always bargains though. Chelsea beating us to Mata for 23 million was a bargain. So was David Silva at reportedly 24 million. I remember Silva being quoted at 50 million back in 2008. There are always clubs looking to sell, and players looking to leave, and so there'll always be bargains. Higuain, if he pushes to leave, will also be a bargain, considering he'd probably cost +30m at his peak, if Real wanted to sell at all.

Point is, we can't, and we don't have to go competing for the top top names.

Mid-range buys have mostly been successful for Wenger. Even as far back as Sagna in 2008. The likes of Arteta, Kos, and Per were all bought at mid-range prices and have been successful. Only ARshavin and Gervinho have been disappointing.

Even with improved finances, I don't think we can compete for the really big buys, nor should we. However, I'm hoping it means Wenger can move on from trying to improve the squad with cheap bargains like Chamakh and Squid, and onto the mid-range bargains, which have proven more fruitful.

Missing out on Mata was so frustrating imagine where we would be if we got him

I think the reported missing out on Xabi Alonso was a much bigger miss. We've seen how good Arteta has been for us, imagine someone a class above that. Alonso and Cesc would have been great together.

So we've replaced one out of touch old man with another as chairman. Fun.

So we've replaced one out of touch old man with another as chairman. Fun.

The chairman is largely ceremonial and traditional. It keeps stability. Plus it probably rewards his decades of loyalty and hard work. We'll probably replace him with someone younger on the board.

To be fair, like people have said it's mostly a ceremonial position now, Wenger, Gazidis and Kroenke call all the shots. Hill-Wood had a nasty habit of coming out in the press and saying embarrassing stuff and undermining everyone so I'm sure Sir Chips can't be worse.

Denilson has signed a permanent deal with Sao Paulo.

Contract until December 2017.

The club staff are apparently on holiday so I wouldn't expect much so far.

The club staff are apparently on holiday so I wouldn't expect much so far.

Do the administrative people get holidays like the football people? Would seems weird since this is when they earn their wages.

Still no action from our ambitionless cheapskate of a “manager”.

How dear you say that. Wenger is still a great manager. We seemed to fail in the transfer market last year but we pulled off 4th spot and got Theo to really step up. Also Transfers take time its not like on FM

and got Theo to really step up

Think that was more of a case Theo stepping up himself to get that massive new lucrative contract. Since signing it he hasn't been anywhere near the form he was in prior to signing the contract.

Think that was more of a case Theo stepping up himself to get that massive new lucrative contract. Since signing it he hasn't been anywhere near the form he was in prior to signing the contract.

Absolute nonsense. He had a good run of 3/4 games after signing the contact then had a bad run of form (such is life for Theo) and then he got it back in the last few games of the season winning us points.

Yeah that's nonsense. Scored 4 in 4 after signing the contract ffs. Classic pearcey this.

20 goals for a player who hasn't got a 'Footballing Brain' is excellent. He's stepped up and took his game up another level.

20 goals for a player who hasn't got a 'Footballing Brain' is excellent. He's stepped up and took his game up another level.

This. That's why I said Wenger should get some credit

Victim of his own hype, Britishness and gift of pace. Shame he is English, probably why I don't value him as highly as I should.

Yeah that is odd Walcott was very good last season on the most part.

Standard reporting we are getting nearer to signing Higuian for a fee in excess of £20million. We are the front runners since Juve are going after the cheaper Tevez. I would like this a lot if it happened. The deal isn't progressing because of Real Madrid's lack of manager rather than inertia from us.

I'd be thrilled if we managed to get Higuain, especially for that kind of money. His goal scoring record is outstanding and from what I've read from people who watch him a lot he's one of those who's build up play gets underrated.

Considering the fact last season we rarely created many chances in front of goal, we need a creative player (not Grenier) or Higuain will flop.

Higuain has far better movement than any of our striker and didn't Giroud miss almost the most chances in Europe too?

Still no action from our ambitionless cheapskate of a “manager”.

I know, only 2 and a half months until the end of the transfer window....he better get a move on. :rolleyes:

On another note, congratuations to Sir Chips, he's clearly done well for himself since his days as Roy Walkers sidekick, even got knighted.....

Considering the fact last season we rarely created many chances in front of goal, we need a creative player (not Grenier) or Higuain will flop.

He won't flop, if he gets the same chances Giroud missed he will score those more times than not.

We badly need another creative player though unless chamberlain takes a big next step and even then we still need another.

Been seeing Nani's name around, i dunno about that.

Better movement would help also. Creativity will improve because the players will be more used to one another as to open the opposition up it isn't as simple as having more players to make the pass in fact in Cazorla we have a player as proficient as have ever had at it. What we need is better integrated movement which will come as the players get to know each other's movement better. Well at least I hope so

I'm hoping that with Arteta/Ramsey alreadying laying the foundation, our midfield duo, whoever they may be, will be able to build up play with more speed and precision. Too often our attacking 3 had to drop deep because the ball is stuck.

A possible even bigger culprit of this problem is the fullbacks. Our fullbacks, particularly Sagna, have been merely bodies to provide passing options (usually backwards.) We need more from them. We need them to make more penetrative runs and also make better use of the ball. I think Gibbs and Monreal have the potential to do that and will improve as they get used to the team (in Gibbs case, get used to playing with whoever's in front of him.) However, the right fullback needs to step up, particularly because Walcott likes to cut inside, and is not the most creative of wingers.

Bascially, that strata of midfield duo and fullbacks, I think, have failed us in terms of building up play. They've lacked penetration, precision, and speed.

That's because, apart from Gibbs, the others you mentioned aren't good enough for Arsenal. Monreal isn't better than Gibbs, Sagna has lost it, Arteta is this enigma that makes fans believe he's brilliant when actually he's David Batty with a wig, and Ramsey is just terrible.

Higuain has far better movement than any of our striker and didn't Giroud miss almost the most chances in Europe too?

Probably best not to look at Higuaín's European goal record then, it's horrendous. That said, he'd still be a good signing for you.

I'd be thrilled if we managed to get Higuain, especially for that kind of money. His goal scoring record is outstanding and from what I've read from people who watch him a lot he's one of those who's build up play gets underrated.

Not really, his build-up play isn't anything to get excited about. He's got enough to get by at this level, but not much more.

that is gross, way too many puma logos and the cannon looks ridiculous, i prefer simplicity so if they had the bare minimum of puma logos and no cannon i might like it.

very fake but very nice...

Not really loving that particular shade of yellow but I like the idea (not sure white shorts would work on the away kit though). Could do the same with red too and it would probably look smashing.

I don't know, I'm a hardcore conservative when it comes to jerseys. I feel like our away jersey should be blue/yellow and our home should be red with white sleeves. In particular, remember the Invincibles? When playing away, we looked and play like Brazil in that yellow jersey, and blue shorts.

I think the outrageous creativity that sponsors enjoy should be reserved for the 3rd jerseys.

I personally love that kit.