Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I prefer 19m for Higuain to 30m for Jovetic. I'm hindered by the fact that I've seen very little for Jovetic. Higuain, however, I've seen plenty of down the years. I think we're in real need of a finisher, who can bring 20+ league goals for us. Higuain just seems to me like the more likely candidate.

I think Higuain will end up at juventus anyway but it's harder to find a finisher than creative player imo and if Higuain is really available for £19m and we get him there is more than enough money left to try and find a creative forward. Other than Higuain i don't see a striker we could sign other than the falcao's and Cavani's of the world and we have no shot at them as they are going to cost £50m+.

Unless we go looking back in france for Aubameyang or someone and we have been burnt there before.

But we don't create anything, so how do we expect a finisher like Higuain to flourish?

We need the front line with better movement to create chances also. Ultimately the attacking game should improve next season because these players will be more experienced in playing with each other. It can take a while to create an attacking game. Also fully expect Giroud and Podolski to improve next season

My guess is we'll probably sign one attacking player this summer, in addition to Sanogo. I think, in WEnger's mind, we're only 1 short.

He sees our strike options as Giroud and Sanogo.

Our winger options as Walcott, Ox, and Gervinho (I think Wenger rates him :()

This leaves Podolski. In my opinion, who Wenger buys, will come down to where he thinks Podolski fits in. If he wants to train Podolski as a striker, then he'll see that we already have 3 strikers, and he'll buy another attacking midfielder. If he sees Podolski as a winger, then he'll buy a striker so that in his mind, we have "two world-class striker."

That's my prediction regarding this summer's attacking purchases.

Having said that, I expect at least one signing in the midfield department this summer, as well.

I don't think Wenger rates Gervinho. If we get a bid he goes imo. The talent is there it's just very unlikely to happen here. Gervinho would need replacing and a more out and out winger wouldn't be bad thing someone who can stretch the play like Gervinho can just with some actual end product

Giroud has 17 goals and he's missed close to the most clear cut chances in the leage hasn't he? That being said I'm not as big a fan of Higuain as everyone else.

My main worry with Higuain is who he plays with as he seems to end with a ton of space in the box to score, is his off the ball movement that good (it looks good to me) or is it because he is playing with ronaldo/ozil/di maria so they follow them. He is not gonna get the same space here so his movement is going to need to be great.

“You can be excited when you are there and you dream, but

we are going to wait until the season ends and for summer to

come to see what happens,” Navas told La Sexta, regarding

the speculation that he is set for a big money move.

“We would have to see if both clubs could come to an

agreement.

“I am ready for anything.”

I see no reason why Sanogo wouldn't be seen as a backup. I think he'd be in the same position Jenkinson was. Also, the likes of Giroud and Kos were playing in Ligue 2 not long before they came to play for us.

Doesn't he still suffer from homesickness?

I think he is over that now. He used to get sick outside of Seville, don't think it is anywhere near as bad

There is a rumour going about that Thiago Alcântara has a release clause of €18m. If it is true I hope Wenger is aware of him.

Don't see wenger signing him unless he want's to move cazorla to wide left permanently, not sure that's the best idea.

Don't see wenger signing him unless he want's to move cazorla to wide left permanently, not sure that's the best idea.

I think Cazorla could stay out wide because we need to fit Wilshere in and also it provides better balance to the team having more of a midfielder on one side of the attack particularly with Walcott is pretty much a striker on the wing

Benteke open to Arsenal move

What do you think? Good enough?

By the sound of it, he's the kind of player who'd leave us just as easily has he's looking to leave Villa. For that to happen though, he'd have to be a success so probably not too bad a thing :D

I would love Benteke. He is similar enough to Giroud that the system wouldn't be hugely impacted by a change up top but also he has some different attributes such as his greater pace to provide a different threat.

Cazorla just looks a better player when he is playing from the midfield, not that i would turn my nose up at Thiago as he is going to be great.

Would take Benteke obviously, still would like to see us sign a striker in a different mold to the Giroud/Chamakh/Bendtner/Adebayor wenger seems to be targeting for the last 5 years.

Not that I pay much attention to what they say but goal.com are reporting that we're in for Ashley Williams and that he'll be on £60k a week.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/24/4000198/arsenal-agree-terms-with-swansea-city-defender-williams?ICID=HP_HN_1

Not particularly happy about the wages, but he's a good backup to Kos and Per if it is true. Solid if not brilliant. I personally would rather we signed someone who was going to be pushing the centre halves for a place rather then waiting for an injury or a suspension.

Sorry for being positive but I think Benteke and Williams are just the kind of players we should be in for.

I’m not sure if the people knocking Williams are underestimating him of overrating our own players.

I suspect the later because Mertesacker and Koceilny have struck up a good partnership recently.

Ashley Williams is a far more complete centre back than either and I do not accept than he would be automatic third choice.

I would say we need a strong,commanding, experienced leader who is fast enough to play a high line and comfortable enough on the ball to fit in to our style.

It's also especially important for a central defender to adapt to quickly so signing a player from within the the Premier League is good, from the club that plays the most similar system is ideal.

Williams best fits the bill out of the players available in my eyes.

Benteke is a no brainier. Quality player.

Not that I pay much attention to what they say but goal.com are reporting that we're in for Ashley Williams and that he'll be on £60k a week.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/24/4000198/arsenal-agree-terms-with-swansea-city-defender-williams?ICID=HP_HN_1

Not particularly happy about the wages, but he's a good backup to Kos and Per if it is true. Solid if not brilliant. I personally would rather we signed someone who was going to be pushing the centre halves for a place rather then waiting for an injury or a suspension.

He's in his prime, an established international (albeit Wales), and coming from an established Premier League club. I think those wages are more or less the going rate. There should also be less risk than giving that sort of contract to a Squillaci type who has no experience of British football.

I'm happy with Williams as third-choice initially, hopefully pushing towards the first 11 when he gets a chance.

We have 2 CB's with a similar play style in Kos and Vermaelen, we need another monster/holder like PerMer. Let's just buy the biggest CB going. Naldo rings a bell as being tall and is better on the ball I think as well. Must be getting on though.

Seems a safe option, a soon to be 29 y/o with much BPL experience but no ECC experience. Likely doing well in his prime, standard solid Brit but to be seen if he can make up that step up to a big club, we all know Joe Allen hasn't set Anfield alight for his price tag but then he is young so it's quite different. Either way wonder what other options there are.. How does Alderweireld and Papadopolous look, the two Liverpool are targeting? Obviously good FM players, younger but would they be worth looking at? Just a very boring buy Williams, it sounds like one of the Liverpool buys during their British window. I would be disinterested at the news, I look at Vertonghen from last year and think something like that would be exciting, obviously has been one of the top 3 CB's in the prem this year, they still get many more seasons out of him. We missed out big time on that one.

Seems a safe option, a soon to be 29 y/o with much BPL experience but no ECC experience. Likely doing well in his prime, standard solid Brit but to be seen if he can make up that step up to a big club, we all know Joe Allen hasn't set Anfield alight for his price tag but then he is young so it's quite different. Either way wonder what other options there are.. How does Alderweireld and Papadopolous look, the two Liverpool are targeting? Obviously good FM players, younger but would they be worth looking at? Just a very boring buy Williams, it sounds like one of the Liverpool buys during their British window. I would be disinterested at the news, I look at Vertonghen from last year and think something like that would be exciting, obviously has been one of the top 3 CB's in the prem this year, they still get many more seasons out of him. We missed out big time on that one.

I disagree with this. Williams is decent and there would be no need to wait for him to adapt to the premier league which took Koscielny and Mertesacker a season each. He would come in and be depth. The need to be ready for the premier league is so much more of a worry than whether they have played in the champions league. Who cares if the buy is boring I just want the best option to fit the hole. Don't think Vertognhen has been one of the three best centre halves in the league this season. He rejected us as we wanted to play him in midfield apparently. I don't see what makes someone like Vertonghen an exciting signing at all.

Papadopolous is coming back from a knee injury. I personally would like to see us sign a young centre half if we are looking for a fourth choice if TV is being sold then I just want the most ready option.

Also we are lacking organisers at the back. Only Mertesacker does it effectively and Williams seems like someone who could bring that. Though that is something more seasoned Swansea watches could be able to correct me on

Signing British or someone who's already adapted to EPL is no guarantee for success. Liverpool were filled with such flops. Do we remember Francis Jeffers? Even big signings like Torres and Berbatov didn't exactly work out.

Signing British or someone who's already adapted to EPL is no guarantee for success. Liverpool were filled with such flops. Do we remember Francis Jeffers? Even big signings like Torres and Berbatov didn't exactly work out.

Apart from Berbatov these all looked like bad moves at the time. Berbatov flopped because he didn't fit the system

Apart from Berbatov these all looked like bad moves at the time. Berbatov flopped because he didn't fit the system

I remember Liverpool fans being quite excited about them signings. Defenders can't fail to fit into the system as well.

Buys will always look like a bad move to some people.

It doesn't matter why they fail. Point is, buying British is far from reliable.

Archived