Sports Interactive Community
Retro

Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

That 45 mins is a perfect example of how influential Giroud actually is.

Happy St. Totteringham's day lads :D

Indeed, better late than never but my goodness it feels good to say it - Happy St Totteringhams Day

Thank feck for that :D

Bring on the transfers!

Need some big spending and Bale to leave Spurs, then just consolidate and try and carry our form over to next season.

Need some big spending and Bale to leave Spurs, then just consolidate and try and carry our form over to next season.

He'll be gone with no Champions League football, you can count on it.

Wenger on the transfer market this summer: "We will be out there in a very proactive way."

Sounds good to me! :cool:

What is Vermaelens future? The Kosc-Mertesacker partnership cannot be ended and so there is no way he can be captain next year.

Heard it all before unfortunately. I will believe it when I see it, and recent history suggests I won't see it.

I could barely watch the final ten minutes. Was shaking with adrenaline and nervousness.

Anyway, is the champions league qualifying seeded?

Happy St Totteringham's Day, best wishes one and all. better late than ever. So much for the downward spiral of doom, I almost feel rather sorry for Tottenham's best team in 50 years coming still short of our worst one for 15.

BKpNGtyCIAA3KFk.jpg:large

I could barely watch the final ten minutes. Was shaking with adrenaline and nervousness.

Anyway, is the champions league qualifying seeded?

Probably, I hope it's the new Portuguese side which finished third.

Koscielny.gif

0u7uC6S.gif

ibqqxQbTxysLUx.gif

Kos definitely a martial arts master in disguise.

Wenger choose his words quite carefully, imo. Just like how "we can afford big buys" doesn't mean "we will make big buys," being "proactive" probably just mean working really hard to get the right players at the right price. It doesn't mean the buys will be made, nor will we change our policy. Wenger's words mean nothing. He can only convince us otherwise by doing something different this time.

Nothing will change until Wenger is replaced by a manger with the will to win things.

Wenger will always be happy to come 4th.

I'm still on the adrenaline high I think, taking things far to realistically at the moment :D

Well we've done it again. We've not won anything, but we've achieved our minimum goal.

Lets be honest, Who the hell knows knows what is gonna happen in the summer?

This one does feel a bit better than the last few though because only a couple of months ago it really didn't look we had a chance to finish in the top 4. Also, Spurs didn't even choke completely like they did last season, we went on a very good run and clawed our way into the top 4.

But, we're miles off being a side that can compete with the best. We have some good players but we need more.

Satisfactory end to what has been a very poor season imo. As we already know, we have to show some serious ambition in the summer because what can't stand still any longer. We also need to re-discover how to play attractive winning football because quality wise it hasn't been great 70% of the time!

Over the moon we've got fourth. We can say what we like - fact is it's not a trophy and truth is there's plenty of work to be done, but it doesn't take anything away from the fact that pipping your biggest rivals to a coveted Champions League spot after the season we've had is a wonderful, wonderful feeling and always will be. I think we've got the core sorted - Koscielny has blossomed, Cazorla and Wilshere ought to be even stronger next year as with Giroud and hopefully an fit and ready Podolski. Let's hope we build around what we've got now, depth is key now. The only way we can increase our depth is by flogging off the likes of Park and Denilson, something I hope will happen promptly over the next month or so. Big summer to come, big season next year.

Nothing will change until Wenger is replaced by a manger with the will to win things.

Wenger will always be happy to come 4th.

vandyke, this conversation is for another day, really. It's unbelievable, I feel sorry for anyone who lives life like this. I imagine you're a joy to be with over the course of day-to-day life, pessimistic to the core and downright miserable and negative. just enjoy the fact that we're in that top four and we'll all be enjoying roast potatoes tonight laughing at things like this:

BKpTr8sCcAMbZz_.jpg:large

We dropped 4 points since the Spurs game iirc, awesome run in.

Koscielny really is a top class centre half. Him and Mertesacker is a title winning standard partnership and is our best since Toure and Campbell. We just need the parts around it. Huge summer ahead real chance to build a top team just hope we actually take it.

Koscielny absolutely bossed it today. Top drawer stuff from him.

Congrats on your trophy.

heh that dig is awful

relieved to have retained the CL status and finished above Spurs, still not quite sure it warranted the OTT celebrations from the players/staff. I have no issue with finishing 4th as a minimum when it's behind a SAF United side and the two Sugar Daddy clubs, but we shouldn't be leaving it to last day especially considering we did the exact same thing last season. I don't want to jinx things and assume we wont lose one of Santi/Kos in the summer as could see City coming in for Cazorla and Barca coming in for Kos, but if we keep those two, have a fit Wilshere and spend some big money in the summer we should be in a much better position next season. Spurs losing Bale would be good but of course AVB would still have around £60M to re-invest in that Spurs squad plus whatever other money available, still a potential danger there imo.

imagine the **** storm in here if we'd ****ed up and ended up 5th though :D

imagine the **** storm in here if we'd ****ed up and ended up 5th though :D

Is it just me, or is there a general difference in the attitude of Spurs and Arsenal fans. They seem proud (highest point tally in EPL era for them) of their team and optimistic about the future. In a way, its nice to see that for them, this counts as a decent season, while for us, I don't think anyone here consider what we achieved as anything but the very bare minimum.

If the roles were switched though, I suspect we won't be proud of our team, nor would we be optimistic.

Some Spurs fans might tell you that they had to rebuild after the departure of VdV and Modric, and they lost some key players to injury. Let us not forget what we had to go through. There are many things we can criticize this Arsenal team and Wenger, but the will to win, and the determination cannot be questioned.

If the roles were switched though, I suspect we won't be proud of our team, nor would we be optimistic.

The joys of supporting one of the biggest teams in Europe.

Also, while everybody here remembers the good old days of winning doubles and going unbeaten and wants us to be doing that again (and is disappointed that we aren't) Spurs at the same time were just fodder, guaranteed 8-15th mediocrity, so they're probably just pleased to have moved on from that.

The plan from the club all along has been to stay at the top level until we could truly afford to get top players in. It's all been a means to an end this last 8 or so years. We've unperformed in the cups of course but sure. We'll strengthen this summer, enough so to leave the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Everton behind. I can really see a set in stone top 4 of us, United, City and Chelsea for the next few years.

The likes of Liverpool and Spurs have the exact same thought. Spurs are building a new stadium, I believe.

Also, nobody is questioning that we've had to operate under less favorable financial circumstances, but much of our problems had zero to do with money. Those criticisms are extremely valid.

Spurs are building a new stadium, I believe.

Be nice to see how somebody else copes with a £400 million debt.

I can't stop laughing at Song. I'm a horrible person :lol:

That was a good watch, gonna have to find if there's any others on Arsenal Player.

Edit: Boo, that's the only one.

What is Vermaelens future? The Kosc-Mertesacker partnership cannot be ended and so there is no way he can be captain next year.

Mertesacker will get injured and he will get a run in. Any chance he will leave in the summer Gooners? Because I think he will want talks with Wenger as he sure would be a starter at a Barca/Milan and he will not want to lose his spot in the Belgian team.

Haha Song :D

I don't think Bale will leave Spurs, wife just had a kid, apparently and the rumours even during the season seemed to be he would stay one more season. Never know, of course but I would not be surprised if he stayed at all

Bale either stays or we get 60m to invest. Neither is an outcome that worries me.

Anyway, now the dust is settling, congratulations to Arsenal. Your run-in has been ****ing staggeringly good. We didn't choke (for once). You were brilliant.

I look on next season as a real opportunity for both of us. We have stability. We have young-ish squads which are unlikely to lose anything too important (forget Bale for now), and the three clubs that finished above us are going to have some serious upheaval.

Optimism all round.

Mertesacker will get injured and he will get a run in. Any chance he will leave in the summer Gooners? Because I think he will want talks with Wenger as he sure would be a starter at a Barca/Milan and he will not want to lose his spot in the Belgian team.

:eek:

When was the last time you saw Vermaelen play?

original.gif

Yeah, I'm sure Barca can't wait to snap up Arsenal's 3rd choice CB

Barca would be better off trying to get Vertonghen or even making a cheeky bid for Kompany. Hummels is probably their main target but can't see him leaving until next season as Dortmund already having a bit of a clear out this summer. I could definitely see Vermaelen leaving though, funny thing is if that had happened at the start of the season everyone would've been going off on one about how we're losing another star player, I don't think anybody would be saying that now.

They could take Luiz off of our hands. Perfect Barca CB

Don't even joke about that. Luiz is going nowhere.

If Luiz left Chelsea, I think I'd hate them.

I have way too much man love for Luiz.