Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 points is all I care about. Awful for 30 mins mediocre for the rest. I don't know what is weirder how podolski has had such a successful career with such awful movement or that Walcott was in effect our striker

Not a good performance, and definitely something to be concerned about. However, how often have we said when things get tough, we'd settle for winning ugly? Three points is all that matter right now.

Cleansheet is another big plus.

3 points is all I care about. Awful for 30 mins mediocre for the rest. I don't know what is weirder how podolski has had such a successful career with such awful movement or that Walcott was in effect our striker

He's still an extremely effective left winger/forward in the right team tbf.

Well, when everyone was fit in 1998 we either had Anelka or Wright on the bench. Is he better than either? Nope.

And I'm not having that :D Wiltord was a much better player than Podolski ffs. Kanu too.

I was crying out for our front 3 to be Ox - Theo - Gervinho.

Having wingers who will try to take on players is so much better.

I also hate how rigid Sagna is. He gets it out wide, and almost never looks to go down the line, always checking back. I love Gibbs cause he's always bombing forward, overlapping, and getting into dangerous positions (see goal vs Swansea away, 2 OG's vs Southampton at home etc). Monreal does it to an extent, but he's just not fast enough to pull it off as effectively as Gibbs does.

Jenks is by far my preferred right back at the moment, an Gibbs on the left. Infact, I'll do my preferred team for the next game.

Shezzer

Jenks Per Kos Gibbs

Arteta Rosicky Santi

Gervinho Theo Ox

Perhaps Wilshere/Ramsey for Rosicky.

The whole midfield was average today, but why is Ramsay seemingly the first name on the team sheet?

Do we need him starting if Arteta is playing the more holding role? Arteta with Rosicky/Wilshere/Cazorla/whoever, as the other two is surely a better option?

Can anyone correct me on this?

I also hate how rigid Sagna is. He gets it out wide, and almost never looks to go down the line, always checking back. I love Gibbs cause he's always bombing forward, overlapping, and getting into dangerous positions (see goal vs Swansea away, 2 OG's vs Southampton at home etc). Monreal does it to an extent, but he's just not fast enough to pull it off as effectively as Gibbs does.

Jenks is by far my preferred right back at the moment, an Gibbs on the left. Infact, I'll do my preferred team for the next game.

Shezzer

Jenks Per Kos Gibbs

Arteta Rosicky Santi

Gervinho Theo Ox

When Gervinho take on defenders, do you mean he runs literally into them and forgetting where the ball is?

Our right-back has been the more conservative flank for the best part of a decade now. It was only duo of the ever-reliable ball-handler hleb and dynamic Eboue that our right flank ever offered any real and consistent threat. Even during the Invincibles, our right flank wasn't that threatening. Lauren wasn't a great crosser (he didn't have too many people to cross to anyway) and Ljungberg couldn't take on defenders. Lauren was reliable and recycled the ball well, and Ljungberg was most dangerous off the ball. Both defended well enough though.

Considering Wenger replaced Eboue with Sagna, I think Wenger prefers our right-back to be the reliable one. Remember, at his peak, Sagna was a force at the back. Often, he bailed out our central defenders like a hero.

Our harmless right-flank stands out more now that our left flank isn't all that special either. It doesn't help that Walcott, like Ljungberg, is far more dangerous moving without the ball, since he still can't be trusted to consistently beat his marker and put in decent balls.

In the ideal scenario we can attack from every angle. I think Jenkinson in the long run can provide that somewhat. He's already a decent crosser. Other areas are still lacking though. He's definitely my favourite up and coming player though.

The whole midfield was average today, but why is Ramsay seemingly the first name on the team sheet?

Do we need him starting if Arteta is playing the more holding role? Arteta with Rosicky/Wilshere/Cazorla/whoever, as the other two is surely a better option?

It's no coincedence that our improved defense came when we started playing Ramsey and Arteta together. The Per and Kos duo has proven to be better than Vermaelen with anyone, but it definitely helps when the 2 midfielders in front of you provide better protection.

I'm quite certain that in terms of attacking quality, Wilshere, Rosicky, and Cazorla can offer much more than Ramsey can. This is especially true if we can bring Cazorla back into the middle, and give him a proper left-winger to play with.

However, our recent good form has been built on the foundation of improved defense. This is the hallmark of every winning team. So it's understandable that Ramsey is picked at the moment. We can only hope that Ramsey continues to improve, which I think he will, and Wilshere also improve his defensive side of the game.

If Cesc is available, Wenger would do anything to sign him, regardless of the fee required. When you think about it, we really are only a Cesc away from genuinely competing again. Cesc made players like Adebayor and Bendtner 15-20 goal a season strikers, and I rate Giroud above those two. Not to mention Theo getting in behind. These rumours are bad for my health :lol:

Chesney

Jenkinson-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Gibbs

Arteta-Wilshere

Walcott-Cesc-Cazorla

Giroud

:(

I think it'd be mental to drop Ramsey at this stage of the season. He makes such a difference to our team defending that it isn't worth the risk. Rosicky and Santi in a midfield 3 would be especially lethal defensively.

Do Wigan still play 3 at the back? If so I'd like to see Podolski back on the left and Ox on the right with Theo in the middle.

It is truly desperate that Giroud is literally our only striker and we've been damn lucky that he's been available for almost every game bar these 3.

If Cesc is available, Wenger would do anything to sign him, regardless of the fee required. When you think about it, we really are only a Cesc away from genuinely competing again. Cesc made players like Adebayor and Bendtner 15-20 goal a season strikers, and I rate Giroud above those two. Not to mention Theo getting in behind. These rumours are bad for my health :lol:

Chesney

Arteta-Wilshere

Walcott-Cesc-Cazorla

Giroud

Cesc would be amazing if he returned

Shezzer

Jenks Per Kos Gibbs

Arteta Rosicky Santi

Gervinho Theo Ox

We would get killed with that midfield. Not defensive enough hence why Ramsey plays. I want Ox to play. Also I don't like Walcott upfront despite scoring recently he has become such a peripheral figure in our build up play it is difficult to break teams down. He needs to get more involved and him upfront will make it worse imo as Podolski's hold up play is miles better.

Yes we desperately need him. He is the only one of them who is defensively aware. His passing in the last two games has been poorer than previously but without him Arteta struggles due to not having played a lot in the holding role and a lack of pace. Ramsey also provides drive from midfield. The issue in the last two games has been that when he has got nearer the goal his decision making has been poor

Chesney

Arteta-Wilshere

Walcott-Cesc-Cazorla

Giroud

We need more than Cesc. Adebayor is very talented physically he can bully any defender with his pace, power and aerial ability. Issue is he loses interest

Might also mean that we can't attract the top tier of players without CL football and like it or not, Wenger is a big pull for players too.

If you're not going to spend that much money then Champions League is not really a decisive factor. There's only so many clubs, so if you're after a Cazorla, then you've still got a chance to get him unless a CL club are involved. Whereas with Gotze there is no chance.

We got Vertonghen and Lloris for example. Arsenal aren't in for top tier players anyway(Hazard, Cavani, Lewandowski etc), so it's almost irrelevant.

what's the best result then? draw? Chelsea win? Spurs win would definitely put a lot of pressure on us in the last 2 games, obviously Chelsea have slight goal difference advantage on us and we both have significant goal advantage on Spurs.

Draw:

Chelsea - 69

Arsenal - 67

Spurs - 66

Chelsea:

Chelsea - 71

Arsenal - 67

Spurs - 65

Spurs:

Chelsea - 68

Spurs - 68

Arsenal - 67

Chelsea: Villa (away), Everton (home)

Arsenal: Wigan (home), Newcastle (away)

Spurs: Stoke (away), Sunderland (home)

If you're not going to spend that much money then Champions League is not really a decisive factor. There's only so many clubs, so if you're after a Cazorla, then you've still got a chance to get him unless a CL club are involved. Whereas with Gotze there is no chance.

We got Vertonghen and Lloris for example. Arsenal aren't in for top tier players anyway(Hazard, Cavani, Lewandowski etc), so it's almost irrelevant.

This is true, Arsenal aren't really in for that bracket of player, however the fans wishing that we'd finish 5th are the same fans that are expect that bracket of player to get signed in the summer.

what's the best result then? draw? Chelsea win? Spurs win would definitely put a lot of pressure on us in the last 2 games, obviously Chelsea have slight goal difference advantage on us and we both have significant goal advantage on Spurs.

Draw:

Chelsea - 69

Arsenal - 67

Spurs - 66

Chelsea:

Chelsea - 71

Arsenal - 67

Spurs - 65

Spurs:

Chelsea - 68

Spurs - 68

Arsenal - 67

Chelsea: Villa (away), Everton (home)

Arsenal: Wigan (home), Newcastle (away)

Spurs: Stoke (away), Sunderland (home)

Isn't a Chelsea win better, give yourself 2 points between you and Spurs? They could only get 71 and that is a win and a draw for you to get 71 also. How's your goal difference?

Opposite of your super early goal :p

Draw must be best with goal difference the way it is would require only a victory home to Wigan and could afford to draw away to Newcastle even

I am not sure Spurs won't struggle against Stoke this weekend tbh although their home record isn't as fierce as usual they are getting to desperation times in terms of survival

A Chelsea win is best, surely. They're a point ahead with a game in hand, and will most likely win their other two. Neither of us are going to catch them now. If Chelsea win, you can afford to draw one of your two games and still finish above us, whatever we do.

Take the draw, right now. But basically anything other then a Spurs win will be fine for me. And if I'm honest, I couldn't give a flying **** about our performance on Saturday. I'd rather play really badly and win, then play pretty football and lose and we've done more then enough of that over the last 5 seasons.

I'd rather Chelsea won to be honest. I think our chances of catching Chelsea are minimal and we should just be focusing on finishing above Tottenham for the 4th spot (so we can enjoy St. Totteringham's day).

Archived