Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Arsenal have got to spend all these 6 or 7 transfer windows of money at some point, maybe they'll go on a mad spree in the next week

I did this back in CM 03/04. I think also about six-transfer-window money. It ended up with EUR 99M for Daniele de Rossi.

Come on, Wenger. You have that EUR 65M for Cavani. Not sure about the salary, though.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did this back in CM 03/04. I think also about six-transfer-window money. It ended up with EUR 99M for Daniele de Rossi.

Come on, Wenger. You have that EUR 65M for Cavani. Not sure about the salary, though.

You would like Arsenal to sign Cavani, he's your biggest threat to defending your title :)

We would also have not much money left over to buy other players. I am all in favour of spending but the money needed to get a player of Cavani's stature now is just silly. That is forgetting his wages also.

This whole discussion is mad as we aren't signing Cavani.

Honestly don't think he cared. There would be no logic in what you're saying though as that would hurt him

Didn't he make a comment about that Holtby being the 'kind of player we should be after' or something when he'd basically signed for Spuds the day before and everyone knew that?

We would also have not much money left over to buy other players. I am all in favour of spending but the money needed to get a player of Cavani's stature now is just silly. That is forgetting his wages also.

This whole discussion is mad as we aren't signing Cavani.

If you spent a big 'ol transfer fee on Cavani and then his wages too wouldn't there be a lot of questions of how comes that money couldn't have gone to RvP?

Aye RVP was going to leave cause he wants a trophy in the last 2-3 years of his top flight career, which we couldnt give him realistically regardless of how much we could of paid him, it will take us spending quite alot of money on the squad to make us title contenders again, so even with a signing like Cavani which i would love we are still looking at 4th maybe at a push 3rd each year as our realistic goal, the quicker someone like Usmanov takes over the reigns of the club the better imo, then we will see title contention.

I think it would be more likely they go for Reina or another Spanish goalkeeper, though Chesney is a very promising young goalkeeper and with us being the Un-official Barca feeder team its only natural for people to assume He would be considered by them.

Here's what I don't understand - Theo wants £100k a week in the summer and won't sign until he gets that and plays through the middle. Wenger drops him for a few months in disgust before then eventually playing him through the middle and giving him the money he wanted. So, what was the point in dropping him then??

So Theo's contract works out at 116K a week. What the hell was he asking for originally?

Doesn't matter, it is just more evidence of a spineless manager. Whether you wanted Theo to stay or not (and I did), refusing to play him and costing us points for 2 months before then caving in shows how much Wenger is losing his grip at Arsenal.

Doesn't matter, it is just more evidence of a spineless manager. Whether you wanted Theo to stay or not (and I did), refusing to play him and costing us points for 2 months before then caving in shows how much Wenger is losing his grip at Arsenal.

That is contradictory

Is that before or after tax? You never know with these things

before I should hope

So Theo's contract works out at 116K a week. What the hell was he asking for originally?

If that's true, I don't think he's earned that high a wage. He's been erratic to say the least and he's a long way from being a top quality front man too.

Surely if Wenger sticks to his fair wage model he'll be giving Djourou, Diaby and Chamakh £80k contracts now.

Probably

If that's true, I don't think he's earned that high a wage. He's been erratic to say the least and he's a long way from being a top quality front man too.

I agree it has been badly handled throughout

From an outside point of view it seems a ridiculous wage for Walcott to be on but hey its not my club so what do I care?

Really don't think you guys have to worry about Barca coming in for Szcezney (sp?) either. :D

We aren't but Barcelona have done weirder things. He is a good keeper and is good with the ball at his feet so he fits the bill in that sense. In that he is far from the finished article not so much

From an outside point of view it seems a ridiculous wage for Walcott to be on but hey its not my club so what do I care?

Really don't think you guys have to worry about Barca coming in for Szcezney (sp?) either. :D

They bought Hleb! :D

I now expect Walcott to go back to being useless every other game.

If you're going by players earning what you're paying them there's probably a fair few that wouldn't be worth it tbh all over football

Very true, we have quite a few others too, but that doesn't alter the fact.

It's just where football is, isn't it. You can allow Walcott to walk away and some other club, competitor no doubt, will invite him in and give him that money. I think at his age with the money players are getting he's not far from the ballpark. Hopefully you will try to take action on this in 3 or 4 years time on renewing or selling him rather than letting it run down. He may also be approaching some consistency in his game.

Any idea what Wilshere's deal was?

Maybe he's not worth that wage based on ability, but he might have been given it based on loyalty and length of service. At the end of the contract he would have been an arsenal player for 10 years!

It's pretty unique that a player who could go for free at the end of the season has extended his contract. Based on past experience I was expecting him to go tbf, so fair play to the club for hanging on to him even if we did have to spend too much.

It's pretty unique that a player who could go for free at the end of the season has extended his contract. Based on past experience I was expecting him to go tbf, so fair play to the club for hanging on to him even if we did have to spend too much.

Yeah I agree, I was taking a similar view of it to the RVP situation and the fact that if he didn't intend to leave then why not sign the contract. Perhaps Walcott has a clever agent who advised him to sit on less money until the club made a last ditch effort to keep him, as suggested by the size of his new salary.

Was he? Maybe I'm misremembering but I recall him appearing fantastically skilful but rarely producing anything useful.

You could certainly say that about his first few seasons, but in that final season he had a spell playing behind the striker when he was probably Arsenal's best player.

Archived