Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Found this on Arseblog, thought it was interesting:

Mikel Arteta injury

Arteta went down injured after playing on 9th January 2012.

Arteta has gone down injured again after playing on 13th January 2013.

Arteta went down injured for 20 days in January 2012.

Arteta is expected to be out for 21 days.

The game before his injury in 2012 was an FA Cup Match against Leeds.

The game before his injury in 2013 was an FA Cup match against Swansea.

Arteta played 2277 minutes before his January injury in 2012.

Arteta played 2340 minutes befor his January injury in 2013.

Arteta played 26 games in all competitions before his injury in 2012.

Arteta played 26 games in all competitions before his injury in 2013.

Santi's next? Given his current form and Wenger seeing him as irreplaceable it may help him and the team in a way.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. with hindsight that is the right call 3. disagree this is more the game he would have been useful for as there is likely to be more space in behind 4. then we have even less of a midfield City would have run riot through that even more than they did .

2. You don't even need hindsight. Mertesacker got MotM the last time we played, Mertesacker is our most in form defender over the course of the season and Kos is in horrible form.

3.There was hardly any space in behind? Has Wenger completely forgotten the away match where Giroud come on and dominated Kompany?

4. Less of a midfield? Leaving Diaby on instead of Chamberlain was a mistake because 1) it was a waste of a sub as Diaby was going to always come off at some point anyway and 2) It meant that our midfield lacked any shape at all. Cazorla had no idea where he was playing, he kept coming inside and dropping far too deep. Wilshere repeatedly overlapped him, rendering Cazorla useless. Also, with Cazorla buzzing around with little or no purpose, Wilshere playing too far forward, and a half fit Diaby struggling due to being half fit and not a DM, we offered no defensive support whatsoever.

Talking briefly about tactics.. Personally for me, we should not be having Theo playing upfront alone, partner him with Giroud. This adds to my next point, is why are we playing against a better team (City) with a 3 man midfield compared too their 4?

Realistically our chances of winning were slim, and was made even slimmer when we relegated our best CB for this season on the bench. Wenger is far too stubborn for my liking, and playing Diaby who's only played an U21's match in the last 3 months was another no-no.

We needed Giroud up top as he is far better than Theo in everything that a lone ST needs. We needed an outlet to boot the ball away and knowing that Giroud actually has a chance to out-muscle Kompany would've done the confidence a bit of good.

I really want to see us play a 2-ST formation, but I genuinely don't think Wenger will be prepared to try it out, and that is our downfall, we're too light in midfield and Giroud is not being used properly as when he does play, we don't cross the ball in enough. Also I want to see Jenkinson play more often, as Sagna is still a bit shaky from his leg breaks. Also Jenkinson played very well at start of season and arguably his crossing is better than Sagna.

What's everyone else's ideas on returning to a 4-4-2?

I would like to see us play a 4-4-2 but with the midfield 4 as a diamond.
to play a midfield diamond you pretty much need 3 defensively solid midfielders to play behind the trident, your squad dont really have that

I'm thinking that a Zona Mista could might work thought

I'm a fan of Jenkinson, myself, and he's back from injury isn't he?

I'd be dropping Sagna without a seconds thought for Jenkinson. Better defensively and better crosser of the ball IMO. The main weak link we have at the back these days, to me is Vermaelen, he's started to become a worse player over time. I'd consider using him as the defensive player in midfield, giving at least the hope of another line of defence behind him.

A mate of mine who is a West Ham fan has heard we're in for Diame at a low price. No idea what his source is I'm afraid so just add it to the rumour mill.

Also I apologise that I can't make some point based on this rumour as if it were true. But sadly I'm not a complete and utter moron so I find doing that quite difficult.

As far as I can tell he said he thinks this may be Wengers' last season and we're not to wait on a major signing this window. Nothing particularly interesting tbh.

This is very interesting though. As it contradicts a lot of what we think on Wenger as most of the time we believe he goes when his contract is up. I think it suggests that no trophy, no top 4 then he'll leave.

Apparently Capoue is going to Everton with Fellaini going to Chelsea. WHERE ARE WE?

It's worse than that Moussa Sissoko is available for something like 3 million. I am truly bewildered by the club's inaction I say club rather than Wenger as our whole mediocrity probably needs both to change for it to end

2. You don't even need hindsight. Mertesacker got MotM the last time we played, Mertesacker is our most in form defender over the course of the season and Kos is in horrible form.

3.There was hardly any space in behind? Has Wenger completely forgotten the away match where Giroud come on and dominated Kompany?

4. Less of a midfield? Leaving Diaby on instead of Chamberlain was a mistake because 1) it was a waste of a sub as Diaby was going to always come off at some point anyway and 2) It meant that our midfield lacked any shape at all. Cazorla had no idea where he was playing, he kept coming inside and dropping far too deep. Wilshere repeatedly overlapped him, rendering Cazorla useless. Also, with Cazorla buzzing around with little or no purpose, Wilshere playing too far forward, and a half fit Diaby struggling due to being half fit and not a DM, we offered no defensive support whatsoever.

2. Though I see your point Mertesacker was poor against Swansea. I see Wenger's logic...not that I agree with it

3. Gervinho played up front in that match. There was space in behind as City pushed up when they kept attacking us.

4. point 1) yes that is fair enough 2) how would keeping Chamberlain on keep the shape better in anyway at all? Of all the midfielders on the pitch Diaby is probably the best of them defensively (not saying much) 3. Cazorla cutting in is fine as it meant we had more people in the middle to try and control the ball and means Sagna has space to overlap into. I agree about a lack of defensive support but that falls more down to the fact that we were overrun in that area as City outnumbered us and that Wilshere tried to cover the attacking mid role as instead of sitting more defensively

Talking briefly about tactics.. Personally for me, we should not be having Theo playing upfront alone, partner him with Giroud. This adds to my next point, is why are we playing against a better team (City) with a 3 man midfield compared too their 4?

Realistically our chances of winning were slim, and was made even slimmer when we relegated our best CB for this season on the bench. Wenger is far too stubborn for my liking, and playing Diaby who's only played an U21's match in the last 3 months was another no-no.

We needed Giroud up top as he is far better than Theo in everything that a lone ST needs. We needed an outlet to boot the ball away and knowing that Giroud actually has a chance to out-muscle Kompany would've done the confidence a bit of good.

I really want to see us play a 2-ST formation, but I genuinely don't think Wenger will be prepared to try it out, and that is our downfall, we're too light in midfield and Giroud is not being used properly as when he does play, we don't cross the ball in enough. Also I want to see Jenkinson play more often, as Sagna is still a bit shaky from his leg breaks. Also Jenkinson played very well at start of season and arguably his crossing is better than Sagna.

What's everyone else's ideas on returning to a 4-4-2?

I don't like it as I think we'll get overrun in midfield and since we aren't the greatest in defence we are better off with the ball than without it. Also we are already struggling with being overrun with 3 in the middle so I think it'll just worsen the issues. Also when Giroud and Theo played up front together on sunday they were very isolated neither wanted to drop deep and if you watch the good two striker partnerships they do that otherwise midfield and attack won't link. I would like us to play 4-2-3-1 like we did at the beginning of the season if Theo is upfront as then he'll get the support he needs and on Sunday we began with that formation however the midfield 3 will have to be fluid otherwise we'll get that happened before which was teams were able to sit on Cazorla.

Looks like Remy and M'Vila both going to QPR.

Shocking we aren't in for them, utter negligence. Remy better than Gerv and M'Vila better than any defensive player at Arsenal.

M'Vila has attitude issues and Remy I have no idea but mine and Ajw's players are bigger misses

"We want to add 2 new players,and we are willing to spend big"

"What's important is we get positive results .... I always respect my contracts"

we have been restricted financially because of stadium, what that is coming to a close"

I assume we are signing two Macedonian 15 year olds then

Should stick to signing players from the top leagues, La Liga, Bundesliga and EPL, leagues that have teams that reach the final rounds of Champions League on a consistent basis and are home to some of the best players in the world.

Apparently we've been linked to re-signing Aliadiere :cool:

7 goals and 6 assists in 18 apps this season, in way better form than Remy who has 2 goals this season and no assists.

I always knew he'd come good in the end!! :mad:

Lucas Biglia is doing a 'Tevez' (Away from his club without permission in Argentina) according to sky sports, trying to force a move to england, with West Ham a likely destination, though we was interested in him at the start of the season.

I agree about Diame's consistency if he played every match at the level he did against Chelsea he would be great, his buyout clause is rumoured to be 3million? and the rumours regarding Sissoko(Of Toulouse) is he might be on his way to Sunderland for 3.5mil, so for 6.5 million we could just get both? its all rumour and speculation obviously but i think we could accomodate both, specially considering how many games we have in a season.

Although we probably have enough money to buy them, our wage budget is already so bloated. Sending away Chamakh and Djourou is a good first step. If we can move on Squillaci and Arshavin as well, then we'll probably free up enough of the wage budget to add 2-3 decent players.

Regarding Diame, Thats the situation we as arsenal fans are in, we desperately want quality marquee signings, but are happy to settle for cheap inconsistent players as a last resort. Because we know we're not gonna get the top players we desire, we'll settle for anything! Wenger knows that!

Regarding Diame, Thats the situation we as arsenal fans are in, we desperately want quality marquee signings, but are happy to settle for cheap inconsistent players as a last resort. Because we know we're not gonna get the top players we desire, we'll settle for anything! Wenger knows that!

Would people rather have a cheaper Diame, who has loads of EPL experience, won't need time to bed into a new league etc but may be inconsistent (looked good every game i've seen him play for West Ham) or an untried M'Vila who is a complete hot head, loves a bit of controversy and headlines, would cost about 3 times as much and no guarantees he'd fit into this league?

The other alternative is Sissoko, £3.5m but who's career has stalled dramatically in the past 18 months with Toulouse. I'd argue that most people (not all of course) are basing their expectations of these players on their FM experiences rather than having seen them play.

Would people rather have a cheaper Diame, who has loads of EPL experience, won't need time to bed into a new league etc but may be inconsistent (looked good every game i've seen him play for West Ham) or an untried M'Vila who is a complete hot head, loves a bit of controversy and headlines, would cost about 3 times as much and no guarantees he'd fit into this league?

The other alternative is Sissoko, £3.5m but who's career has stalled dramatically in the past 18 months with Toulouse. I'd argue that most people (not all of course) are basing their expectations of these players on their FM experiences rather than having seen them play.

M'Vila is the most promising and the most talented of the three. Him by miles.

Sissoko is a good player but not quite what he is on FM. At that price he would be a good deal. If we wanted M'Vila we would have signed him in the summer. His attitude is the issue. I know Ajw is still keen on him though but the last thing we need is an attitude problem

Also these are quite different players M'Vila is more of a holding mid than the other two who are more dynamic

We need someone who can play alongside Arteta, not replace him. So on that basis M'Vila is the least likeliest to join. My theory anyway.

I agree we want Arteta to keep doing his job but we want someone who can be dynamic beside him and can help out defensively which is something neither Wilshere nor Cazorla are great at

Archived