Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

Crazy amount of business going on with us this week.

Carroll due to complete his deal with West Ham in the next couple of days

Mhiktaryan due for medical in next 48 hours

Mignolet deal to be concluded by end of week

Luis Alberto deal also due to be completed soon

Iloris from Sporting also due to sign after clubs agree fee

Aspas deal will supposedly be concluded this week too

All this via twitter ofc :D

Armenia media reporting Mkhitaryan heading over for a medical.

I reckon that lot up there will be the bulk of summer spending now. Perhaps a few young-uns will follow.

Isn't Insipidus just a little ray of sunshine :D

I thought I was negative. Geez.

Armenia media reporting Mkhitaryan heading over for a medical.

I reckon that lot up there will be the bulk of summer spending now. Perhaps a few young-uns will follow.

If the above happens, I will be delighted.

Still not allowing myself to believe we're signing Mkhitaryan until he's shown holding up a shirt.

Still not allowing myself to believe we're signing Mkhitaryan until he's shown holding up a shirt.

Pretty much this.

I've heard plenty of good things about him, granted the majority of it recently but it he really THAT good?

I've heard plenty of good things about him, granted the majority of it recently but it he really THAT good?

I would compare his shooting ability outside the box to Frank Lampard. Has cracking vision and passing ability too :thup:.

I would compare his shooting ability outside the box to Frank Lampard. Has cracking vision and passing ability too :thup:.

More of the long term replacement to stevie G then?

More of the long term replacement to stevie G then?

Depends what you class Gerrard's position as. Henrikh is an attacking midfielder.

Gerrard has probably been the most versatile player i've ever seen in a liverpool shirt, he's defended when needed, he's been a world class provider and a goal scoring midfielder. If he can even produce half of what gerrard has achieved in either goals and/or assists, he will be money well spent.

Just like Gerrard was. But now we don't have anyone who can do that same role.

aye, he is the instant replacement for Stevie's old role. No links to a DM of any kind yet unless I'm mistaken?

Crazy amount of business going on with us this week.

Carroll due to complete his deal with West Ham in the next couple of days

Mhiktaryan due for medical in next 48 hours

Mignolet deal to be concluded by end of week

Luis Alberto deal also due to be completed soon

Iloris from Sporting also due to sign after clubs agree fee

Aspas deal will supposedly be concluded this week too

All this via twitter ofc :D

I saw an interesting article...somewhere... talking about the rodgers transfer windows. the theory was that during the first window, rodgers hired away a bunch of staff from man city who had to sit out 6 months as a condition as part of a non compete clause type of thing. so the allen/borini/assaidi window was rodgers sort of doing his best with what he knew and finding cheap bargains/squad filler with the rest. having his scouting team just in place in january, they were the brain trust who convinced the club to get coutinho and sturridge. they're the ones behind this recent flurry of top young talent and people inside the club are super confident with their work and these players.

fwiw ofc but I hadn't seen the chronology put together that way before.

aye, he is the instant replacement for Stevie's old role. No links to a DM of any kind yet unless I'm mistaken?

Mkhitaryan would lessen the need for a new DM imo. Gerrard would play in an even more withdrawn role for the most part, probably alongside Lucas now. Then we still have Henderson and, god forbid, Allen to fall back on.

Mkhitaryan would lessen the need for a new DM imo. Gerrard would play in an even more withdrawn role for the most part, probably alongside Lucas now. Then we still have Henderson and, god forbid, Allen to fall back on.

There is nothing wrong with Allen. Much better footballer than Coates for example.

Neither Henderson or Allen are really up to the DM role if Lucas gets injured. Both played their last season and looked out of their depth

I saw an interesting article...somewhere... talking about the rodgers transfer windows. the theory was that during the first window, rodgers hired away a bunch of staff from man city who had to sit out 6 months as a condition as part of a non compete clause type of thing. so the allen/borini/assaidi window was rodgers sort of doing his best with what he knew and finding cheap bargains/squad filler with the rest. having his scouting team just in place in january, they were the brain trust who convinced the club to get coutinho and sturridge. they're the ones behind this recent flurry of top young talent and people inside the club are super confident with their work and these players.

fwiw ofc but I hadn't seen the chronology put together that way before.

we tried to get Sturridge in the summer too though don't forget. Whoever it was that convinced us to get Coutinho must be pretty happy right now, mind

There is nothing wrong with Allen. Much better footballer than Coates for example.

Not only are you wrong, you are also close to going on my death list :mad:

Neither Henderson or Allen are really up to the DM role if Lucas gets injured. Both played their last season and looked out of their depth

It was a slightly different role at the time though. They were basically the only person doing the job. Now they should get a little more help back there in theory.

Not only are you wrong, you are also close to going on my death list :mad:

You are wrong :mad:.

It was a slightly different role at the time though. They were basically the only person doing the job. Now they should get a little more help back there in theory.

well i'd say if Lucas was out our best three would be Hendo, Stevie and Henrikh just infront, that doesn't fill me with midfield controlling confidence

Yep, this one seems to good to be true.

It's great that there's a release clause in his contract as Shakhtar are not normally the easiest team to do deals with.

id love to see Allen play CB

I hope we don't go another summer without getting a DM. Unless they have plans for a youth player to come in, which I wouldn't mind, then we definitely need another actual DM rather than shoehorning Allen or Henderson in there. Though out of those two i think Henderson is better in the role.

id love to see Allen play CB

Would probably do as good a job as Coates in midfield to be fair.

Would probably do as good a job as Coates in midfield to be fair.

tbf, Coates not having to worry about tackling the opposition would probably be an improvement!

Coady seems to be progressing well, I'd say its going to be a very important pre season for him.

coady will never get near the first team.

Has your favourite pet just died or something?

Has your favourite pet just died or something?

meh, im just trying to inject an air of realism. i know it an exciting time of the year because everything looks promising, particularly when we sign a gaggle of players that people wont have seen that much of. however, we've been stung so often in the last ten years or whatever that im happier (yeah, i know right?) approaching things with a degree of caution rather than blind optimism.

on paper it looks like a pretty average summer to me, because we're signing a load of foreign b teamers, relegationees (or close to it) and a player who isnt what he was 2 years ago. mkhitaryan is obviously the exception there but its not done yet, and its another forward in what i deem to be an already overloaded forward group. im really not going to be pleased if our defence next season consists of mignolet, agger, ilori, kelly, wisdom, enrique, johnson and toure.

Spearing is our best backup DM at the moment.
Coady seems to be progressing well, I'd say its going to be a very important pre season for him.
I don't mind Spearing, though i always get grief for saying that.

Remember Coady playing OK in a poor team performance away in one of the Europa games last season - would like to see more of him this season as an anchor type player.

meh, im just trying to inject an air of realism. i know it an exciting time of the year because everything looks promising, particularly when we sign a gaggle of players that people wont have seen that much of. however, we've been stung so often in the last ten years or whatever that im happier (yeah, i know right?) approaching things with a degree of caution rather than blind optimism.

on paper it looks like a pretty average summer to me, because we're signing a load of foreign b teamers, relegationees (or close to it) and a player who isnt what he was 2 years ago. mkhitaryan is obviously the exception there but its not done yet, and its another forward in what i deem to be an already overloaded forward group. im really not going to be pleased if our defence next season consists of mignolet, agger, ilori, kelly, wisdom, enrique, johnson and toure.

Agree with that last part about the defence, i wouldn't be happy with that either.

Good to have some realism too.

To hear some people talk about Aspas and Mhkitaryan, they should win us the league this coming season.... :rolleyes:

Because these signings are a bit left field, and some people have watched some Shakhtar Donetsk and La Liga games last season, it's the in thing to say how good these players are that the majority of people won't have heard of.

Having said that, I do like Mkhitaryan, and have watched him quite a lot, but i always fear that when Liverpool sign someone i like that they'll disappoint, as happened with Litmanen and Morientes to some extent. Though i'd love to see Litmanen playing in this set up we have now!

Judge em when they have that red shirt on. Same as every player.

Our opening fixtures 'apparently' leaked.

Hull A

Fulham H

Everton A

And Yeah, for all our 'great' transfers so far, only Mkhitaryan is worth any true excitement. Luis Alberto is a reserve for Sevilla, Aspas is 25 and was playing for a team who narrowly avoided relegation, Toure is a decent 4th choice, Ilori is vastly inexperience and only started playing this year, and Papadopoulos has a broken knee.

Our opening fixtures 'apparently' leaked.

Hull A

Fulham H

Everton A

And Yeah, for all our 'great' transfers so far, only Mkhitaryan is worth any true excitement. Luis Alberto is a reserve for Sevilla, Aspas is 25 and was playing for a team who narrowly avoided relegation, Toure is a decent 4th choice, Ilori is vastly inexperience and only started playing this year, and Papadopoulos has a broken knee.

That would be nice if true

Luis Alberto is a reserve for Sevilla.

Dear me, you're a buffoon :D

He's 20 years old and played a full season for a good team in a good league last season.

Dear me, you're a buffoon :D

He's 20 years old and played a full season for a good team in a good league last season.

Barcelona B in the segunda division. Let's not pretend he's some world beater just yet.

Barcelona B in the segunda division. Let's not pretend he's some world beater just yet.

He's far from a world beater just yet but barcelona aren't known for producing cabbages, from what i've read about him he played fairly well there so he must at least have a lot of potential.

Tell me more about your extensive knowledge of Segunda.

Liverpool have told Luis Suarez to submit a written transfer request if he wishes to force through his departure from Anfield, according to club sources.

The striker has made a number of public declarations of his desire to leave Liverpool since the end of May, making clear that he wants to join Real Madrid.

But Suarez, who is on duty with Uruguay at the Confederations Cup in Brazil, has yet to confirm officially to senior figures at Anfield that he wants to leave.

Liverpool have maintained publicly that the 26-year-old, whose contract with the club runs until 2017, is not for sale.

The club are aware that it will be difficult to retain a player who is absolutely determined to leave, though, and will consider offers in excess of £40 million.

Anfield officials have become weary at Suarez’s attempts to force through a move to Madrid, who have still to make a bid for the player.

And they believe that the time has come for him to submit a transfer request – or refrain from speaking publicly about his desire to depart.

The club do not want the issue of Suarez’s future to drag on towards the start of next season. And although the player’s commitments at the Confederations Cup mean a resolution is unlikely in the next fortnight, Liverpool are keen to get the matter sorted out before they head to the Far East for a pre-season tour in July.

Suarez, Liverpool’s 30-goal leading scorer last season, has served four games of a ten-match domestic suspension imposed by the Football Association after he bit Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a Premier League match at Anfield in April.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1478838/reds-want-suarez-transfer-request?cc=5739