Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all arsed about Shelvey leaving if true. He's the type of player who will do well at West Ham and leave people wondering why did we sell him. But the simple fact is he isn't quite good enough for us, and probably never will be.

Too slow, not good enough. Happy to see him leave: poor man's Danny Murphy but more likely to ruin a game by being sent off.

he's what? 2 yrs younger than hendo though?! you dont want to give him a chance either? sure, he's no replacement for gerrard but i reckon if he can make that step up to this level he can still be an exceptional player. shows more endeavour than 95% of the rest of the squad in training and lower level.

i do agree its probably his slower 'thought of mind' as opposed to being physically slower (if thats what you meant) thats holding him back at this level, but if he can sharpen up he has the quality imo.

Shelvey is quality. Long term he can play the central midfield playmaker role, and pace doesn't matter at all in that position. Just needs to mature and improve his decision-making and there's a real player there.

I can see what martplfc1 means. His mobility means he's something of a luxury player in a line up like this where pressing is needed all over apart from maybe a one or two players who will be there for their attacking creativity.

I don't think his attacking creativity is quite at a level to warrant him being one of these players. Under Dalglish he might have worked, under Rodgers?...

I do think he'll be a very good player for someone though, and i'll always like him for having the balls to stand up to Alex Ferguson! And i bet Fergie secretly admires that too.

I think a loan would be ideal for him. Preferably to a lower Premier League side such as Villa or Swansea.

I still think he can make it, but he needs development time at this level. He is way to good for the Championship for instance, absolutely ripped up trees when on loan to Blackpool and that was 18 months ago (IIRC).

I really think we should be holding on to players with obvious potential, until they are at least 24. He might just be a late bloomer.

Having said that, we have quite a few young midfielders as it is, and if we think someone like Suso is going to develop into a better player, then by keeping Shelvey we block the progress of another young player.

dont think suso has the potential shelvey has personally.

i agree a loan to another prem team would be ideal and the way to go imo.

I think Suso is more technically gifted and has a better reading of the game then Shelvey, but Jonjo is better physically.

Both have the potential to be real top notch players, but for Jonjo it's perhaps getting closer to the time where he really needs to show more. Suso being only 19, has a bit longer to develop physically and technically.

It doesn't benefit either of them being in the 1st team squad, though and perhaps both of them would benefit from loans. Suso especially would benefit from a move to someone like Wigan (providing they keep Martinez or his philosophy).

As I say, Jonjo needs to go to a lower Prem side now, so we can see if he cuts it at this level. That tends to be way Manchester United have brought youngsters through. They blood them, loan them out to a Prem side, then keep/sell them. Danny Welbeck is a prime example of this method.

suarez aside, i dont think anyone would take any of our available players :D

I see what you mean, but I think Pepe, Lucas, Suarez, Agger and even Coutinho are going to be targeted by some big clubs. We have no european football to offer next season and look a long way off being able to challenge for the top honours.

I hope Brendan has his phone turned off :D

wow, just watched vid of papadopoulos and the guy looks the real deal.

looks to have real intelligence and a winning determination. would be very happy if we sign him. a definite step up to what we have atm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1nr_nDOoFI

Papadopolous alongside Agger with Kolo as back up sounds good to me. Although I'm not sure what Papadopolous' communication skills are like, this season has proved we need a leader at the back.

really? nothing wrong with his touch from what i remember. he's got everything skrtel hasnt. will and determination and his reading of the game is exceptional. i concede he looks to have a short fuse (just like suarez) but i saw no rash challenges and for me is what makes him a winner.

no doubt he has flaws and wont be perfect but like i said, he looks a step up on what we've currently got for sure.

I see what you mean, but I think Pepe, Lucas, Suarez, Agger and even Coutinho are going to be targeted by some big clubs. We have no european football to offer next season and look a long way off being able to challenge for the top honours.

I hope Brendan has his phone turned off :D

lucas has been pretty **** this year, given the injury and his form after it, so i honestly dont see a problem there. pepe leaving is fine by me if we get an adequate replacement, and coutinho wont leave after a mere 6 months here. agger is the only one on that list id worry about, but even at that his fee would be probably outweigh the benefits of having him given his injury record.

Thought I would tell you guys I have renewed my season ticket no doubt you will be happy :D Regarding Danny Wilson I think he had one year left on his contract. Metro today reported Man City are ready to offer Dzeko and cash fir Suarez. I hope Suarez doesnt go even more so now that I have pre-ordered the new shirt with his name on the back :(

Thought I would tell you guys I have renewed my season ticket no doubt you will be happy :D Regarding Danny Wilson I think he had one year left on his contract. Metro today reported Man City are ready to offer Dzeko and cash fir Suarez. I hope Suarez doesnt go even more so now that I have pre-ordered the new shirt with his name on the back :(

If suarez leaves now may fowler have mercy on your soul :(

Guys to be fair the only player who has left who I have a shirt with his name on is Torres. One of my friends had Bellemey, Carroll and Kuyt so if he gets Suarez that's when you want to start to worry ;) I guess all we will hear now until August are players we will be signing based on rumours, wonder how many will turn out to be true. Premiership fixtures released 20th June I think.

Brendan Rodgers is now the 5th longest serving manager in the premiership.

Guys to be fair the only player who has left who I have a shirt with his name on is Torres. One of my friends had Bellemey, Carroll and Kuyt so if he gets Suarez that's when you want to start to worry ;) I guess all we will hear now until August are players we will be signing based on rumours, wonder how many will turn out to be true. Premiership fixtures released 20th June I think.

Brendan Rodgers is now the 5th longest serving manager in the premiership.

I hope he got his money back!

Could be a good signing, but it all depends on what Toure wants from the remaining years of his career. If he still has the hunger and desire to win trophies then its a great signing, but if he just joined us because he didnt want to leave the area (settled family) and we would pay him a decent wage then it could be a dud signing. Time will tell as they say, but I would hope he still has something to prove to people - on his day he is a very good defender.

Certainly not complaining about the Toure deal. We could have brought in a lot worse.

I agree, he seems like a decent replacement for Carragher and i'd imagine he's on a LOT less money. Smart business for once it seems.

Archived