Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the CBs are Agger +1, then the third choice needs to have some experience about him in my opinion. Just having Kelly, Wisdom and Coates (if he stays) as backup is not ideal if you end up having to stick someone in the team for a month or so.

As 3rd choice CB I don't think that Kolo is a terrible option, but as others have pointed out he has lacked form and fitness, and how likely is he to get those back sitting on the bench most weeks?

I'm starting to fall into the "Yes" camp for Kolo. We need some players with top level experience and he brings that.

BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty: "Sincerely hope Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has not picked up his copy of Bosnian paper Dnevni Avaz this morning. Suggests Reina will be replaced by the "younger and better" - and cheaper - Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic."

Is carrolls injury likely to stop his transfer now? because that's all we need

I read it was because he would prefer a move back to Newcastle? lets hope we get 15 mill where ever he goes. still gives us a profit of 45 mill from the torres and Carroll deal..

I read it was because he would prefer a move back to Newcastle? lets hope we get 15 mill where ever he goes. still gives us a profit of 45 mill from the torres and Carroll deal..

Not quite following your maths here?

Got £50m for Torres = £50m profit

Spaffed £35 on Carrol = £15m left

Sold Carroll for £15m = £30m of cash.

If you just expunge the Carroll deal, you can treat it as £30m for selling Torres (probably what he was worth).

As damage limitation goes for a bad transfer, we have got out about as well as we could of, and probably all things considered are finances are probably where they would been in a normal world where that summer never happened :D

[video=youtube;SkLJQu-fHw8]

i've seen this so may times but i could not even begin to explain what is happening

edit - both their actions are so priceless. i'm sure if you showed this to someone outside football they would say it was scripted.

Not quite following your maths here?

Got £50m for Torres = £50m profit

Spaffed £35 on Carrol = £15m left

Sold Carroll for £15m = £30m of cash.

If you just expunge the Carroll deal, you can treat it as £30m for selling Torres (probably what he was worth).

As damage limitation goes for a bad transfer, we have got out about as well as we could of, and probably all things considered are finances are probably where they would been in a normal world where that summer never happened :D

let's not try invent maths theorems

bought carroll - 35

sold carroll - 15

loss - 20

simple as that. no maths you try play refutes this simple fact

it was bad business. the best we can do is when he leaves, we all agree never to talk about it again.

i've seen this so may times but i could not even begin to explain what is happening

edit - both their actions are so priceless. i'm sure if you showed this to someone outside football they would say it was scripted.

0:48 to 0:52 looks like some odd photoshopped gif

let's not try invent maths theorems

bought carroll - 35

sold carroll - 15

loss - 20

simple as that. no maths you try play refutes this simple fact

it was bad business. the best we can do is when he leaves, we all agree never to talk about it again.

Agree with this. We still paid £35m for Carroll, regardless of what anyone else cost. It's money that could have been spent much more wisely, and it's good to see that after a shaky start Rodgers and the rest of them seem to be going in the right direction.

Taking a punt on Carroll wasn't completely ridiculous at the time. He was in great form, looked like he could be the main English striker, hold up the ball well and bring other people such as Suarez in to the game as well as increased threat from set pieces (not to mention he really does have a cannon of a left foot)

But the price was just ridiculous. Ridiculous doesn't even cover it. And I don't care if Chelsea overpaid for Torres to fund it, it will go down as one of the worst transfer pieces of business ever. I'm glad we've got some money for him.

I also feel sorry for Andy himself, although there were rumours about his professionalism early on, he's always going to be labelled as an expensive flop now and that's really unfair on him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8729160/Liverpool-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-expects-a-quick-decision-on-Andy-Carroll-s-future

Based on what Rodgers has said there, I wouldn't be surprised if Carroll was actually offered the opportunity to stay, as an impact bench player. Providing he knuckles down, works hard, and wants to be part of a team rather than a starting lump up front for a smaller club and end up in relegation battles or even actually going down.

That interview is just Brendan spinning it for the media. Andy will be out the door as soon as we get a decent offer and I'd guess the conversation was more letting him know he has no future are Liverpool and encouraging him to go.

He needs all the transfer funds he can generate and having a 15m (assuming that's AC's current market value) backup on the bench does not make sense when 12m Borini is already there.

Completely off topic but do you have Xbox? Ran into a SRL1888 and you popped into my head, Tiger Woods 14

No I sold mine, but to be fair, when I did I didn't have X-Box live either :D.

i'd say that was a bit steep yeah :D.

we don't need a striker who's going to want first team football, even if suarez went, sturridge would be our main man, bringing in someone else who'll want to play in his position is not worth it. we need cover, someone who'll be happy with a squad role. someone like kone from wigan would be a better use of money if he was willing to come in as a backup.

i'd say that was a bit steep yeah :D.

we don't need a striker who's going to want first team football, even if suarez went, sturridge would be our main man, bringing in someone else who'll want to play in his position is not worth it. we need cover, someone who'll be happy with a squad role. someone like kone from wigan would be a better use of money if he was willing to come in as a backup.

I'd rather we bought players who do want first team football, there is no point signing unambitious people who are happy to sit on the bench and pick up their wages for doing nothing.

It's also better that we look to sign players to improve (or at least fight for a place in) our first team, not just sign back-ups.

But I wouldn't pay £25m for him.

Archived