Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've not seen him myself, but i have a friend who lives in spain and consquently watches a lot of spanish football. He says he has potential to be great and plays best as a winger apparently.

He really does great potential, I'd hate for him to turn up at Liverpool. Exceptionally quick, too footed, direct, great off the ball movement, keeps the width well, but will turn the full back inside-out and act like an inside forward, and good finisher too.

Barcelona would be making a huge mistake to let him go in my opinion.

He really does great potential, I'd hate for him to turn up at Liverpool. Exceptionally quick, too footed, direct, great off the ball movement, keeps the width well, but will turn the full back inside-out and act like an inside forward, and good finisher too.

Barcelona would be making a huge mistake to let him go in my opinion.

He's not a particularly good finisher.

Ok. But why isn't he particularly good? Does he miss more chances than he scores? Does he score difficult ones but fluffs the easier chances, or the other way around?

He is a good finisher, but he doesn't take that many shots in a game. Whether thats a natural tendency, or a product of Barcelona's play, I'm not entirely sure. Composed though, likes to get his head up, to pick his spot and place it.

Ok. But why isn't he particularly good? Does he miss more chances than he scores? Does he score difficult ones but fluffs the easier chances, or the other way around?

He's a decent winger, but I don't think he'll ever be a world class player or anything.

In a sense he was perfect to be brought into the first team because he has characteristics a bit different from other Barca players (will stick to the touchline on the shoulder of the defender), but to be honest I don't think he has either the intelligence or quality to be comfortable in tight spaces like you need to be for Barca. A lot of times he drives at goal when he should be getting his head up (I remember a game against Milan when Messi started on him because he smashed it wide instead of pulling it back), that's not a bad thing necessarily, but something you can't really do at the highest level.

Like I said before, he has been useful for Barca recently when needs must, but ultimately they've got both better players (Deulofeu), and more suited players (Cuenca, if he can stop getting injured), so I don't think Tello's ever really gonna be a big player for them.

How can you possibly make that statement and back it up?

I've been watching him since he was 18 years old playing in the Spanish second division.

Times and Guardian also running this story. Must have some substance to it, he will be brought in as some experience and hopefully the odd rare appearance but from the few appearances he's had for City, he's looked miles off the pace so the move is a bit surprising.

@snn - if he's on 50-60k a week then it will never happen IMO. Goes against the current strategy of the club. Pay as you play deal surely? Tho, on the topic, how much was Carragher on which will now be freed up? 90-120k?

Reina had 14 clean sheets and was joint 2nd best in the league. Pretty impressive considering some of his form this season. Would happily give him another season with 1/2 new additions infront of him. Although he did have some shockers which was solely down to him.

Pretty big claim. How do you see him more than anyone else on this forum?
dan usually knows what he is talking about when it comes to spanish football, probably more so that most others on this forum, and what he have said about Tello seams accurate enough to me.....if he aint talking about spanish footy thought then its probably safe to assume that he is just baiting or trolling :p

Jamie Carragher: Surprised no one tried to sign him

£10 completely free bet

Retiring Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher admits he is surprised that no other club tried to sign him during his career.

Carragher's 737th appearance for Liverpool against Queens Park Rangers ended an illustrious 16-year spell at Anfield and the former England international has revealed he is puzzled as to why he was never linked with a possible move away.

"I never really had the option to leave - I don't know whether it was a good thing or bad thing," Carragher is quoted as saying in The Sun. "Maybe no-one rates me!

"I've never even been close. My agent has never rang me up and said, 'This team fancy buying you'. Not once.

"Maybe I was always seen as 'Mr Liverpool', I suppose. You'll have to ask different managers. But I'd never have left in any circumstances.

"Maybe those managers realised that. Or, like I said, they just didn't fancy me.

"And I can't say I ever thought about leaving when I wasn't in the side. You have good times and bad times at your club.

"It's like being a supporter. You don't stop supporting your team because of a bad run.

"And we've had some great times here, won some big trophies. So I feel lucky and privileged."

Hahaha. So not wanted.

Leader is pretty much the last word I'd associate with Kolo. Not good enough anymore.

well this would happen if you dont get to play? I appreciate he's not the same man as he was for arsenal, but if we get him and the other centreback to arrive is young and vocal, we'll be in a great position in august. you cant judge one defender on his own - the group should complement each other.

Would Kolo just be a direct replacement for Carra or would we be allowing Skrtel and Coates to leave also and then maybe shifting Martin Kelly into centre back and signing one other?

Papadopoulos is awesome on FM.

Unsure on Kolo. He's looked a bit dodgy whenever I've seen him play for City and off the pace but that could be down to lack of match fitness since he never gets a good run in the team. Maybe a summer of hard training and more regular football will see him rediscover the form of his Arsenal days?

well this would happen if you dont get to play? I appreciate he's not the same man as he was for arsenal, but if we get him and the other centreback to arrive is young and vocal, we'll be in a great position in august. you cant judge one defender on his own - the group should complement each other.

Bit of a chicken and the egg debate there. Is he not good enough because he doesn't get to play or does he not play because he's not good enough? He's 32 years of age now. He's not what we need.

Papadopoulos is awesome on FM.

Unsure on Kolo. He's looked a bit dodgy whenever I've seen him play for City and off the pace but that could be down to lack of match fitness since he never gets a good run in the team. Maybe a summer of hard training and more regular football will see him rediscover the form of his Arsenal days?

I will be reserving proper judgement until he plays, but i won't be holding my breath for him to recapture his arsenal days but he has the time to prove me wrong.

Toure actually played pretty well for City this season when deputising for an injured Kompany. Not exactly an amazing signing by any stretch, but he'd be nice and solid for a season or two. Wouldn't say no to him if he was one of two centre backs being signed.

He is probably exactly what we need, not some snot-nosed 20 year old who hasn't learnt his trade yet.

As long as the wage deal isn't ridiculous (somewhere around 50K a week for 3 years seems sensible), then it's a solid start the transfer window and brings in much needed experience and a relatively good price. There will be no way we will offer huge wages after the Joe Cole debacle TBH, so the deal may get hijacked (probably by Spurs ;))

He is probably exactly what we need, not some snot-nosed 20 year old who hasn't learnt his trade yet.

That's actually pretty hilarious bell, you going senile?

50k a week for three years is ridiculous for a 32 year old.

Of the last 11 matches Toure started for Man City, they kept clean sheets in 9 of them. RAFAFACT.

Would suggest that's got a bit more to do with the players around him.

That's actually pretty hilarious bell, you going senile?

50k a week for three years is ridiculous for a 32 year old.

Would suggest that's got a bit more to do with the players around him.

£50k is pretty much run of the mill wages in the Premier League tbf and if you will probably need to offer a longer deal to get someone in such low wages when they are coming for free.

In short, that Begović is set to join you with everything being sorted in principle and the only thing left to do is sign whatever needs to be signed. The quote is him saying he wants to join by the time pre-season starts with the remainder of the squad.

Archived