Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

On my way to the game, I decided to renew my season ticket as I enjoy football too much. I think we will win 4-1 today. Is remi the qpr striker playing today ?

seems to be rumoured to start, also jordan ibe is rumoured to get his debut today. looking forward to that.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RESULTS COMPARISON CHART 2013/14

Cardiff = Wigan
Hull City = Reading
Crystal Palace = Q.P.R

Points		
				Last season	This season 	Diff  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18/08/2012 West Brom v Liverpool           L 3-0 		
26/08/2012 Liverpool v Man City            D 2-2 			
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/09/2012 Liverpool v Arsenal             L 0-2           
15/09/2012 Sunderland v Liverpool          D 1-1           
23/09/2012 Liverpool v Man Utd             L 1-2           
29/09/2012 Norwich v Liverpool             W 2-5           
06/10/2012 Liverpool v Stoke               D 0-0             
20/10/2012 Liverpool v Hull City           W 1-0           
27/10/2012 Everton v Liverpool             D 2-2           
04/11/2012 Liverpool v Newcastle           D 1-1           
11/11/2012 Chelsea v Liverpool             D 1-1           
17/11/2012 Liverpool v Cardiff City        W 3-0           
24/11/2012 Swansea v Liverpool             D 0-0           
28/11/2012 Tottenham v Liverpool           L 2-1           
01/12/2012 Liverpool v Southampton         W 1-0           
08/12/2012 West Ham v Liverpool            W 2-3           
15/12/2012 Liverpool v Aston Villa         L 1-3           
22/12/2012 Liverpool v Fulham              W 4-0           
26/12/2012 Stoke v Liverpool               L 3-1           
29/12/2012 Liverpool v Sunderland          W 3-0           
01/01/2013 Crystal Palace v Liverpool      W 0-3           
12/01/2013 Man Utd v Liverpool             L 2-1           
19/01/2013 Liverpool v Norwich             W 5-0           
30/01/2013 Arsenal v Liverpool             D 2-2            
02/02/2013 Man City v Liverpool            D 2-2          
09/02/2013 Liverpool v West Brom           L 0-2             
23/02/2013 Liverpool v Swansea             W 5-0          
02/03/2013 Cardiff City v Liverpool        W 0-4          
09/03/2013 Liverpool v Tottenham           W 3-2           
16/03/2013 Southampton v Liverpool         L 3-1           
30/03/2013 Aston Villa v Liverpool         W 1-2          
06/04/2013 Liverpool v West Ham            D 0-0           
13/04/2013 Hull City v Liverpool           D 0-0           
20/04/2013 Liverpool v Chelsea             D 2-2           
27/04/2013 Newcastle v Liverpool           W 0-6           
04/05/2013 Liverpool v Everton             D 0-0           
12/05/2013 Fulham v Liverpool              W 1-3           
19/05/2013 Liverpool v Crystal Palace      W 1-0           

More goals, more points. It is something to build on and move forward. There are many more positives this season than many would have said at the beginning of the campaign.

Carragher also claimed that he had deliberately set out to injure another player in a practice session, former Liverpool team-mate Rigobert Song, because of the latter's constant mockery of his defending.[46] "Song walked on to the training pitch with a smile on his face. He was limping off it with a grimace an hour later. The first chance I got, I did him. Never have I hunted down a 50–50 tackle with greater appetite. 'You're not ****ing laughing now, are you, you soft ****?' I said as he hobbled away."

Hilarious

Have we had a better defender in the last 20 years? Hyypia runs him close, but Carragher edges it. Unless I'm missing someone really obvious.

Like Djimi you mean?

I'd say Babbel, Finnan, Johnson, Riise were all better fullbacks than him. And Hyypia and Agger were better centre backs.

Igor Biscan was a better bloody centre half than Djimi man.

Hyypia was better than Carragher tbf. Not to play down how immense Carra has been for us during his career, but Hyypia was ****ing awesome.

Carragher's done a great job this season after looking like he was getting worse almost by the game about 18 months ago. Been back to near his best again though.

Glad the season is over tbh. Break now for awhile, hope work behind the scenes is progressing successfully to set us up for next year. Hoping to get the majority of our business done early. Enjoyed the discussions in here and hope everyone has a good summer.

Will maybe do a longer write up in the coming days.

Ps : New home kit looks good.

More goals, more points. It is something to build on and move forward. There are many more positives this season than many would have said at the beginning of the campaign.
This really, it's a shame to miss out on Europe but I feel much more positive than last summer.

A couple more quality players like January and we're ready to give 4th a decent go.

Biggest negative about missing Europe is the fact that players like Coates, Sterling, Shelvey and Ibe (assuming by getting a start today he'd have been getting more games next season if he doesn't go out on loan) will lose a lot of potential gametime.

The other thing is our coefficient will be poor when we eventually do get back to the CL, making the groups harder. Exactly as City have found the past two seasons.

Plus (and I may be the only one) I love the Europa League, was there for our semi against Barca in 2001, awesome atmosphere. Not to mention the final.

lets get back there first before worrying about coefficients.

i think this summer could be a good time to buy 1 or 2 players not the 4/5 some want/expect. if we can get an outstanding cb and 1 more top player we could start getting a strong enough squad to challenge throughout a full season. not averse to keeping the likes of downing and skrtel to bolster the squad with a decent bench at least. both first teamers this season but need replacing with better if we're to improve results.

with 3 games a week only every so often id rather us get the best first 11 we can muster with a decent bench of youth and experience backing that up. we could do worse adding quantity over quality instead of 2 top class players. we dont have to break the bank either, look a coutinho. im sure theres plenty of quality around europe at not overinflated british prices.

Biggest negative about missing Europe is the fact that players like Coates, Sterling, Shelvey and Ibe (assuming by getting a start today he'd have been getting more games next season if he doesn't go out on loan) will lose a lot of potential gametime.

Well Carra is retiring, you will see Coates rotated sometimes I am sure. Same with Sterling, he will be used similar to how AOC is used at Arsenal but with more starts because I think BR rates him more than Borini, Aissadi and will rotate him and Downing at the same time. Shelvey unsure but Ibe, yeah will not get much games but does he really need it at 17 years of age. He will learn a lot in the reserves. He probably is not ready for the prem yet anyway.

I don't see Downing here in August, might be surprised but I bet given his wages the club will sell if any half decent offer comes in. He's what the owners don't want - an older player (relatively) taking big wages which don't reflect his contribution on the pitch.

I really hope the rumour about Monaco being after Carroll is true.

didnt watch the game yesterday....can anyone tell me how ibe's general play was?

in terms of the squad for next season, assuming we have a decent budget, theres very few id like to see shifted on? in reality i think we'll see coates and assaidi go, with skrtel and reina possibilities too. other than that i dont think we have much scope for selling too many or we'll be sitting on a par with this season again. id like to see a centre back (or two depending on funds) and a versatile CM. rodgers will probably go for a left back as well.

forward line is solid enough for the calibre of player we can attract at the minute imo, plus given that most are new signings we cant shift many on to make room. i make it that we have suarez, sturridge, borini, coutinho, downing, sterling and suso playing for three positions, which is fine. midfield we're so light, both numerically and physically though with only lucas henderson shelvey allen and gerrard, so id love to see someone come in who can play where lucas plays as well as further forward. the defence will be a mess for the first few months of the season given all the likely changes, so hopefully the calibre of signing is good.

EDIT: carroll to go too obviously, but thats neither here nor there in terms of the squad.

Is his contribution worse than another 30-40% of the squad though?
Possibly, can't pay probably 80k to a player with that level of perfomance no matter what. The other problem is his depreciating value, might be the last chance to get 5m or so for him.

Henderson + Coutinho = Gerrard

Gerrard can't cover for Coutinho. He no longer has that pace, and definitely doesn't have that flair in small amounts of space.

I'd be happy to see Downing go and hopefully get a younger player who can move around the forward areas without play breaking down - Coutinho and Sturridge do that well, as do Sterling and Borini. We need another to complement them in Downing's place. That and centre back are our most pressing needs imo.

didnt watch the game yesterday....can anyone tell me how ibe's general play was?

in terms of the squad for next season, assuming we have a decent budget, theres very few id like to see shifted on? in reality i think we'll see coates and assaidi go, with skrtel and reina possibilities too. other than that i dont think we have much scope for selling too many or we'll be sitting on a par with this season again. id like to see a centre back (or two depending on funds) and a versatile CM. rodgers will probably go for a left back as well.

forward line is solid enough for the calibre of player we can attract at the minute imo, plus given that most are new signings we cant shift many on to make room. i make it that we have suarez, sturridge, borini, coutinho, downing, sterling and suso playing for three positions, which is fine. midfield we're so light, both numerically and physically though with only lucas henderson shelvey allen and gerrard, so id love to see someone come in who can play where lucas plays as well as further forward. the defence will be a mess for the first few months of the season given all the likely changes, so hopefully the calibre of signing is good.

EDIT: carroll to go too obviously, but thats neither here nor there in terms of the squad.

Ibe is still very raw, but showed his talent. He can be a good player, very skillful and also got the assist for coutinhos goal.

Gerrard can't cover for Coutinho. He no longer has that pace, and definitely doesn't have that flair in small amounts of space.

I'd be happy to see Downing go and hopefully get a younger player who can move around the forward areas without play breaking down - Coutinho and Sturridge do that well, as do Sterling and Borini. We need another to complement them in Downing's place. That and centre back are our most pressing needs imo.

Suso seems the most likely candidate as cover for Coutinho.

Archived