Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

maybe^, but like i said, pearce doesnt play in their position anyway.
Well we do need an Agger cover and maybe he'll be it. The lack of pace worries me with both, but if you have someone alongside them who can cover then it's not so bad. alos depends on the depth of line we play i suppose.

Either way i'll be interested to see what we do in terms of this position over the summer.

Henderson has had alot of critics but he is actually starting to play with confidence with in the set up, given more game time he can still get better. glad to see it.. ;)

Basically, if we'd did what Captain Planet suggested I'd be quiet happy.

But I'll have a go at my own anyway.

I suspect there will be no change in the goalkeepers, but should Reina leave I would be looking to sign Begovic. Man Utd seems happy with de Gea now, so it probably rules them out for buying him so gives us a chance.

In defence we are losing Carragher and I believe Skrtel, Coates and Wilson and Flanagan will leave. That's 3 centre halves on the way out and a full back. I would replace 2 of the centre backs. Williams looks nailed on and will be a good signing IMO. Under-rated and a player with good ball skills. Solid and unspectactular. The price needs to be right though.

For a second centre half, it's probably better to got a young prospect so Kelly and Wisdom can come through as back-ups. Perhaps bringing Coady through as a utility defender makes more sense than signing someone. We definitely need a back up left back, but no idea who :D

Midfield I believe is relatively strong. Pacheco and Spearing are going to leave most likely. Suso will go on loan this year. Diame in to cover Lucas is a good shout, but literally anyone to cover Lucas will help. Allen and Henderson are not good enough in this role.

Up front. Carroll out is very likely. I'd bring in a good number 10 such as Benteke. Reminds of Drogba and absolutely terrorised us. Imagine how good he could be in a decent side. I'd also sign one for the future in this position. Max Clayton from Crewe is super talented and we should be signing how now before we miss out.

The elephant in the room is the potential departure of Luis Suarez. Hard to replace, but I feel we would need to go for a big name again. God knows who. We would be queuing up behind the big 4 for scraps. So whoever they don't want ;)

Heard our Away looks frigging horrible?

Bell, would one for the future not be Yessil?

Possibly, but it would be good to have a young British talent in addition to him.

We would be literally playing the youth team anyway at such an early stage. Ridiculous that the Europa Legaue starts yonks before half of the continent have starte their domestic campaigns.

The competition is way too big since the dumped CWC.

The champions league starts that early too. We might just be in an earlier qualifying round than usual with the likes of 2nd place in Liechtenstein. And rightly so if we only get in through fair play.

oh and please lets not mention Ashley ****ing Williams again this summer. Or Suarez leaving. Had enough of both rumours already.

*one more edit* the next person to say Henderson isn't good enough goes on my ignore list too.

I will only say that the rest of this season is actually a really interesting chance to see what liverpool would look like without suarez. and if they continue to impress, I think it would be reasonable to the club to explore how much they could receive for suarez considering the number of problems (cb, lb, dm) they could have a chance to solve with the sale of a single player. not saying we should, but that you always want to explore all possibilities.

In fairness yeah, the Newcastle result was a great argument for cutting ties with Suarez in the summer, but as our decision, not being forced into it by being unable to hang on to him. I think its always been a non starter that we'd sell Suarez in the summer if he were to be angling for a move away, as we've been that desperate to keep him. However if we continue to play with the fluidity we did against Newcastle without him maybe there is a decision to be made in the summer.

Pretty sure that a large part of the Newcastle result was more down to them being beyond awful than us lacking Suarez though. I think we'd have dicked them either way.

We won 5 of 8 last time he was banned BTW.

I think the club will consider offers that are large enough, but I don't think we actively look to move him on.

We won 5 of 8 last time he was banned BTW.

I think the club will consider offers that are large enough, but I don't think we actively look to move him on.

yeah i'd agree with this

Yeah, I've been posting about this on RAWK a bit (against my better judgement :D ). We have to weigh up if a bid does come in for say £40m... is a Liverpool team with Suarez really £40m better than one without him? On paper, maybe, but as a cohesive unit in attack? I'm not so sure. My biggest issue with Suarez is... I don't think he's necessarily a selfish player BUT I don't think he is as a) clever, b) composed and c) aware at what's going on around him enough to benefit the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge and even Henderson fully who definitely are a lot more aware and clever about what's going on around them. Suarez sort of feels like the odd one out. Maybe that's due to his status in the team as the central man and him wanting to pick the team up on his shoulders all the time. Will lessening his burden make him a better team mate?

I want to see Sturridge, when fit, as our centre forward every game. But also I don't really want to see Suarez consistently played in the number 10 role for the reasons given above. Coutinho is potentially the perfect number 10 (dual threat off the dribble and the pass) and I would like to see him get a lions share of his time in that position next season. Which means playing Suarez in one of the wide forward/winger spots and kind of minimising his role somewhat. And then does that still make him worth £40m to the team played that way?

Reading that back it looks like I've really knee-jerked after the Newcastle game and I'm not denying that's had a part in it (Coutinho and Sturridge just really 'get' each other don't they?) but I've had these niggling doubts about Suarez in my mind for a while. Such an odd player.

Coutinho and Suarez have looked good together too tbf. Coutinho's through balls could make anyone look amazing i think, such class.

I agree with what you are saying. I've said recently that Suarez can be a complete genius and pull us out of the mire, but a lot of his play causes moves to break down (failed nutmeg or dribble) and give the ball back to the opposition. It can make us seriously susceptible to counter attacks given the open way the back 4 plays in out system.

A front 4 of Coutinho, Sturridge, Benteke (for example) and 1 other, may yield more goals and more cohesive attacking than Suarez himself.

BTW did anyone see that ridiculous Michu to Liverpool for £30m rumour. The lad is good, but is worth about half that at most.

Also I think the board will be keen to avoid £30m+ one season wonders.

BTW did anyone see that ridiculous Michu to Liverpool for £30m rumour. The lad is good, but is worth about half that at most.

Also I think the board will be keen to avoid £30m+ one season wonders.

Michu had a great season before moving to Swansea thought, so it would be unfair to call him a one season wonder

Ok perhaps a bit harsh, but you get my point.

btw, not sure if anyone still cares but I seem to remember a time here where the problems of the red sox was seen as an omen of professionalism/seriousness/winning mentality/distractions/something else of the ownership.

25 to 30 games into a 162 game season (so very early days), the red sox currently have the best record in baseball.

suarez and sturridge when they first paired up looked a great fit aswell tbh, linked up brilliantly.

it is something rodgers has to think about over the summer as alot of combinations have looked great at times and you could make an argument that any of them are what we should go with as our main pairing. i really like henderson playing that inside left role where he offers alot both attacking and defending from, his best games for us have been from that position. coutinho looks class in behind the striker so i'd go with him there and both suarez and sturridge have both been great as the man up top.

i wouldn't be afraid of losing suarez's goals if he went and sturridge was the striker, he'll get more than enough. would be a huge gamble to sell one of the best players in the league considering where we want to be challenging next season though and for all the hair pulling moments of suarez running into blind alleys and breaking down moves every so often, lets not underplay how ****ing great he is and how he has carried us on his shoulders for games tbf.

[video=youtube;tVSyCllqat4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVSyCllqat4

and not to press the matter but between coming 2nd in the player of the year award plus the suspension, this is probably the height of his value versus the ease of letting of letting him go. it might be easier to move him in the future, but we probably wouldn't realize the same premium.

btw, not sure if anyone still cares but I seem to remember a time here where the problems of the red sox was seen as an omen of professionalism/seriousness/winning mentality/distractions/something else of the ownership.

25 to 30 games into a 162 game season (so very early days), the red sox currently have the best record in baseball.

This is all the more amusing when you consider the crap they've been through in the last 18 months after Epstein left and the **** they got for hiring then firing Valentine. Seems more to me to be an indicator they take the measures required to get teams into winning positions. Don't think I could have more confidence in ownership than I do with NESV atm.

Reading that back it looks like I've really knee-jerked after the Newcastle game and I'm not denying that's had a part in it (Coutinho and Sturridge just really 'get' each other don't they?) but I've had these niggling doubts about Suarez in my mind for a while. Such an odd player.
Suarez is more of a maverick that's why. When he's not there everyone pulls together and plays as a team.

When he's playing it's all around him and worrying whether he might lose the ball with his next dribble attempt, thus leaving the midfield open and maybe full backs too if they've bombed forwards. It's always in the back of players' minds.

Something for Rodgers to sort, but it's not a bad problem to have at all.

I wouldn't want Messi too if he was going to be the focal point of the team

Just saw Mancini saying Scott Sinclair will probably have to move on in the summer.

Could easily see Brendan trying to get him

Alonso being linked with Chelsea, really couldn't remotely see that happening.

Would love Sinclair to join us.

Hey Bell, a huge yes to Benteke, For a team that may go down and considering it's his first season in English football he has been a gem.. he is powerfull like Heskey and Drogba but i think he could actually score more goals than any of them 2 ever did... I fear he will be bound for a top for club.. Lukaku At Chelsea next year could turn them into formidable opponents should they choose to not send him on loan...

Would love Sinclair to join us.

No thanks, would much prefer Brendan to keep developing Sterling.

Would take Sinclair over Downing. No reason that needs to impact Sterling.

Yeah i agree.

Don't mind Downing, but if we can get someone who can make more stuff happen, then i wouldn't mind losing him.

Don't think we need to be bringing Ince back though, given the form of Ibe at u21 level and the rise of Sterling.

Sod paying £15m or so for Ince, especially after we wouldnt pay about half that in January.

We need to be signing a better player than Downing to replace him, and Sinclair isn't a better player than Downing.

Ah well then, I stand corrected. We should just keep what we've got instead of getting younger players we can improve.

PS You're wrong.

Sinclair is way overrated tbf, did basically nothing in the prem to warrant his move to Man City. He was outperformed by Nathan Dyer on the other flank in their first prem season.

He wouldn't be much of an improvement on Downing if at all, and unless we could get him for a fair bit less than City paid I don't see the point.

agree with all of that^, he didnt get a look in at citeh yet is automatically gonna improve us...?!

probably do a job for someone but my overriding memory of him at swansea was that a lot of moves broke down because of him. not intelligent enough imo and more of a sideways step.

Ah well then, I stand corrected. We should just keep what we've got instead of getting younger players we can improve.

PS You're wrong.

Did I say we needed to keep what we've got instead of getting younger players? Talk about jumping to conclusions :D

We need a better first team winger than Downing thats for sure, but good lord they have to be better than Scott Sinclair if we have any ambition of top 4.

agree with all of that^, he didnt get a look in at citeh yet is automatically gonna improve us...?!

probably do a job for someone but my overriding memory of him at swansea was that a lot of moves broke down because of him. not intelligent enough imo and more of a sideways step.

Coutinho didn't get much of a look in at Inter but improved us, same with Sturridge/Chelsea. We've got a role that he fits into, whereas Man City haven't.

have to agree with dp and jep here, sinclair is of a similar level to downing, and would not be enough of an improvement, besides that, he is not the creative type of player that liverpool needs more of