Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he did it while at roma. i do hope people get outraged at it though.

i under the mirror went for the celebration for suarez route re borini

Oh and Carra's face after Perch missed was priceless.

you would have been forgiven for wondering why a toon player was in red.

saw that about man city^ have been convinced mancini would be gone end of season but never even considered it would be for rodgers. i smell a little BS tho tbh.

as for glen yesterday^^^ yeah, he was poor, dunno if he's having personal problems but he definitely doesnt look like his mind is on the game lately. strange one, as apparently according to opta he would be in the prem team of the year.

Coutinho's purchase has been an excellent buy, his vision is superb.
considering that your whole squad badly lacked a few players with a bit of vision and technical ability, its not superising you would say that

Definitely keep Henderson, he's only going to keep getting better.

Downing I would sell in FM land, but irl its going to be difficult for us to find someone of much greater ability at this time, so I'm not bothered about giving him another season. He's been decent this year, probably deserves it. imo he still doesn't offer all that much, but as long as we have Coutinho and Henderson producing the goods behind the front man, Downing is adequate.

I'm probably in the minority here, but Skrtel I would keep for another year. However I don't think he's going to be here come next season, Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy him and their relationship seems pretty strained. Centre back will be a priority in the summer.

Carroll can go to whoever the hell wants him.

I'd keep them all. As bench options.
All eating too much in wages to sit on the bench. Plus if we can get 15mil or more for the 3, that'll certainly help.

Keep Hendo (most improved player of the season without a doubt), sell the rest.

I pretty much echo DP’s comments.

If we can get an offer north of 12m for downing, I would be tempted to say we should sell him. He is solid enough to have as a squad option, but we should be looking for better.

I would actually hope that we actively look to farm out Skrtel. I am guessing he has no interest in being 3rd choice so we should just end things.

Let’s take the pain with Carroll and be done with it.

Definitely keep Henderson, he's only going to keep getting better.

Downing I would sell in FM land, but irl its going to be difficult for us to find someone of much greater ability at this time, so I'm not bothered about giving him another season. He's been decent this year, probably deserves it. imo he still doesn't offer all that much, but as long as we have Coutinho and Henderson producing the goods behind the front man, Downing is adequate.

I'm probably in the minority here, but Skrtel I would keep for another year. However I don't think he's going to be here come next season, Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy him and their relationship seems pretty strained. Centre back will be a priority in the summer.

Carroll can go to whoever the hell wants him.

In FM land i'd sell all of em!

It depends who we can get in to replace them, as they're all useful at the moment, but no more than useful.

Looks like Skrtel will definitely go, due to Rodgers not liking him and him being a high ish earner. I'd probably agree.

If we can get another couple of midfielders then Henderson could go, but he's good for his versatility and looks like he could improve still.

Downing again is useful, and i'd edge towards keeping him.

Would keep Carroll as i think you need four good quality strikers and Carroll is a great option to have. Think he'll be gone though due to his wages and Rodgers not fancying him, as with Skrtel.

Hendo is boss, sure when he has to think about a pass he can **** it up but when he instinctively does it (like the through ball for sturridge where he should have scored) he's excellent at it.

that will come though as he matures and he's already got a great work rate and is intelligent with his movement aswell. theres no way we should be selling this guy.

I remember a month or so back somebody in here was talking about us apparently being after Pearce and it was met by the reaction you'd expect.

I have spoken to my Liverpool fan flatmate and he seem ambivalent by it, but said most Liverpool fans thought it absurd they'd sign a relegation teams player.

Personally I think it makes total sense for Liverpool and Pearce. You guys could use a new centre back for cover this summer for sure, and a player Brendan Rodgers has known for years since he came to Reading has to be a positive, added to the fact he's on a free, it can't be a bad signing I think. McCarthy is a great keeper who has played for England U21, unsure how much Reading would want for him however and whether Liverpool will pay the price for a back up keeper or not.

I have spoken to my Liverpool fan flatmate and he seem ambivalent by it, but said most Liverpool fans thought it absurd they'd sign a relegation teams player.

Personally I think it makes total sense for Liverpool and Pearce. You guys could use a new centre back for cover this summer for sure, and a player Brendan Rodgers has known for years since he came to Reading has to be a positive, added to the fact he's on a free, it can't be a bad signing I think. McCarthy is a great keeper who has played for England U21, unsure how much Reading would want for him however and whether Liverpool will pay the price for a back up keeper or not.

Can't really judge either of them as I've seen so little of them, didn't realise Pearce was free but it's the type of signing fans would complain about all summer then use as a stick to beat Rodgers with if he didn't perform well.

Reina, Jones

Enrique

Agger, Coates

Carragher, Skrtel

Johnson, Wisdom, Kelly

Lucas, Spearing

Allen, Henderson

Gerrard, Shelvey, Suso

Downing, Borini, Assaidi

Suarez, Sturridge, Carroll

Coutinho, Sterling

You've got £20m plus what you sell. What do you do in the summer? What does the squad look like after?

For me:

Keep Reina (seems to be over his wobble and I don't think alternatives are guaranteed to be an improvement), Happy with Jones as backup for the wages he's on.

Carragher retires. Skrtel and Coates get sold. Have Kelly as CB backup. Buy a premier league experienced Centreback (Apprently we're interested in Micah Richards and Steven Taylor, but I'd take Ashley Williams for the right price) and either an expensive foreign gamble, or a young and cheaper foreign gamble depending on the quality and price of the premier league experienced CB. (E.g. Sakho)

Buy another leftback. (Cissokho)

Buy a proper defensive midfield back-up (Diame)

Sell Shelvey, Spearing and loan out Suso. Bring in Xabi Alonso.

Sell Downing, bring in Ben Arfa (as part of the deal to send Carroll back to Newcastle on the cheap)

Sell Assaidi.

In: Williams, Sakho, Cissokho, Diame, Alonso, Ben Arfa

Out: Skrtel, Coates, Shelvey, Spearing, Downing, Carroll

Reina, Jones

Cissohko, Enrique

Agger, Kelly

Williams, Sakho

Johnson, Wisdom

Lucas, Diame

Alonso, Allen

Gerrard, Henderson

Ben Arfa, Borini

Suarez, Sturridge

Coutinho, Sterling

Downing has played well since Rodgers said he was close to being sold. His performances would have driven his price up from the measly 6-8m we most likely would have accepted. Bid of 10-12m in the summer and he should be off, I can understand peoples thoughts on him being a squad member but for me he can't drastically change a game coming off the bench when its 0-0 and we need something. Rather the money went towards someone else, really need to look towards Europe for players now.

Henderson should be staying, has shown with the right guidance that he can keep on progressing and as long as people stay patient with him, I think he will turn into a brilliant player.

Diame for backup/Rotation would be outstanding bit of business, most likely means it won't happen. Certainly an area which needs it but I can see BR sticking with Allen.

Would love to see Kelly/Wisdom molded into CB's but that won't happen overnight. I think Coates/Skrtel are both away this summer, Skrtel and BR don't seem to be getting on for whatever reason. I'm sure he would have been away to Zenit if they left us with enough time to replace him instead of registering their interest in Feb. As for whom I'd like to see come in, I'm not sure. Dede has been mentioned before but I've never really seen enough of him to make a comment. Commanding CB needed, that's for sure. A young CB who is ready for 1st team football but happy to be eased into the team and progress would be nice but rare to find.

Definitely need another LB, Jose can be a boss at times but there is certainly better out there and he needs some sort of competition too. Maybe stop him from not turning up some times. His passing is horrible, decision making can be stupid at times and trys to do it on his own at the back at times.

Striker - Remy

Winger - Not sure.

Pearce is really intelligent. He's slow, but his reading of the game is excellent. I think comparisons to Carragher are inevitable and he's never going to be as popular as Carragher (unless he stayed at Reading :mad:) but he should be a good signing for you. He would probably have been our POTY but McDermott didn't want to play him due to the contract situation. It's no coincidence that our best spell of play was when we had him at centre back.

McCarthy, likewise, is a very good player. You had 18 shots on target against him this season and he only let in 1. His distribution is a bit weak (he doesn't get much power on his kicks) but that shouldn't matter if you get him to play it to the defenders. Again, if he hadn't spent so long out with injury I think most Reading fans would agree that our defence would be a lot tighter.

checked pearce out last night and he does seem intelligent at reading the game for sure^ but opinion on him goes from one end of the spectrum to the other with reading fans and his stats are pretty bad on the face of them and ofc youtube vids never show their worst bits so i still dont know.

he plays aggers position too so i could only see him coming as a back up and seeing as we might need 3 cb's this summer, one on a free with prem experience might not be bad business. we cant just go out and spend decent money on 3 cb's.

What's the point in having Kelly and Wisdom if we're going to go out and sign players who'll play as backup ahead of them.

From what i've seen of Wisdom at u21 playing centre back he looks assured there, same with Kelly.

Maybe we'll only sign one centre back for money and make it a good one, with Pearce and Kelly covering centre back, and Wisdom covering right back/centre back.

Archived