Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

no, you're being really silly here. if you honestly think both managers wanted to ship him out because they didn't rate him (and instead preferred players like poulsen and spearing) or thought he could bring in cash (why sell him then? plenty of others who could raise cash, and how much cash have these two loans generated?) and then went to the lengths of fabricating stories about his ability to settle then I think you're a bit mental. why didn't aquilani come out and refute these stories at the time? why only now when it looks as though he may be staying at the club (probably because we've had no offers) does he try to curry a bit of favour with the supporters when managers have been saying he doesn't fancy it for years? there are even quotes directly attributed to benitez about how aquilani simply 'didn't fancy it' and often seemed to exaggerate injuries to the extent he couldn't be selected.

he clearly wanted to go. but i don't actually care. as long as he's professional and is the player we think he can be, he can live in manchester because he can't stand scousers for all i care. interested to see how he gets on. but to suggest this is some sort of anti-british crusade from hodgson and dalglish is just pseudo football intelligence gibberish.

See he did to an extent both times, Clearly Both managers did thought the likes of Poulsen, spearing, Cole and Adam were better players.

He didn't want to be here if he wasn't going to get game time.

Tell me this if we had even hinted at wanting to keep him to you think we would have allowed his Agent to be so brazen about offering him around without at least a little faux anger to save face ?

Agents are dicks but they generally know how far they can push it, It was obvious he wasn't wanted and people at the club wanted him away no matter the cost, and thats why we got screwed on both loan deals we looked weak and every club knew it.

yea aquilani and his agent have just put out the standard 'i've always loved the club and am and have always been committed to it' that most players in his position put out.

he's been loaned out for two seasons and touted out to literally every club for a knock down price with no takers, to believe its ALL down to hodgson and kenny is some aqua fanboy extremes. funny stuff.

both Milan and Juventus wanted to buy him (and im sure we was also in the mix at some point), but none of them wanted to pay more then around 9m-10m euro which is about what he is worth (if we disregard the affectional value of being produced by our youth academy), from the very start it was a mather of Liverpool panic buying him for about twise his value and then trying to get an unrealistic fee back when it turned out he was not worth £20m

A lot of sideways and backward passes in that video, but then again that could be completely down to tactics.

He is better than what we have though.

A lot of sideways and backward passes in that video, but then again that could be completely down to tactics.

He is better than what we have though.

if that vid is anything to go by (and the limited amount of times I have seen swansea), then aqua would be better in the deep role then allen

Apparently Sahin is being allowed to leave Real on a loan deal this summer. Should be the type of player we should be after when there's little risk involved. Can't remember the last time we got such a high quality player for little risk.

There's no way Aquilani puts himself about and wins the ball as cleanly as Allen does in that video. Although I'm not totally against a Lucas - Allen - Aquilani midfield.

Sideways and backwards passing is fine if it's the best pass on to keep possession. That's how we're playing football next year.

There's no way Aquilani puts himself about and wins the ball as cleanly as Allen does in that video. Although I'm not totally against a Lucas - Allen - Aquilani midfield.

you need to throw of the shackles and stop watching the game as a brittish footy fan, Aquilani is good enough positionaly to do the job in defense and make interceptions, while his vision and distribution is a lot better and also slightly faster

here's Aquilani during the 45? mins he played vs toronto, might not be the best thing to show since its only a pre session game, but since im lazy and it was the first thing I found.......

[video=youtube;LTLimS2I-v4]

I'm doing none of those thing that you're attempting to spell ;)

From what I have seen Aquilani just doesn't put the same level of defensive performance that Lucas does or that Allen did in that video. Lucas was averaging 5-6 tackles per game last season, Allen around 4 per game. This isn't me thinking in a "Brittish" manner, (thinking all DMs should be like Scott Parker) it's that their positioning is superb, they read the game well and cover the ground to plug gaps. If you go back through last seasons thread these are the kind of things I'd be praising Lucas on. Whilst I accept Aquilani is very good on the ball, recycles possession quickly and makes good decisions, there's just no way I'd trust him in the DM spot. He's not proven to me that he can read the game like that in a holding role. If you think you've seen enough of him doing that for Milan or someone then fair enough. I personally haven't.

EDIT: That's a good video though. I didn't realise he'd passed the ball that well. But the video is biased, it doesn't show the mistakes he made. I'd prefer an every touch video.

Even then though, Lucas has developed a bit of bite about him. He is quite physical these days. Certainly in the air. And Busquets definitely doesn't mind getting "stuck in" for want of a better phrase. Even if he does roll around for five minutes after it. I still do think you need a bit of physicality in there and whilst I don't think Aquilani is a total Meireles in that sense I just wouldn't really get that same feeling of having a brick wall in front of the back four like I do with Lucas.

I'm doing none of those thing that you're attempting to spell ;)

From what I have seen Aquilani just doesn't put the same level of defensive performance that Lucas does or that Allen did in that video. Lucas was averaging 5-6 tackles per game last season, Allen around 4 per game. This isn't me thinking in a "Brittish" manner, (thinking all DMs should be like Scott Parker) it's that their positioning is superb, they read the game well and cover the ground to plug gaps. If you go back through last seasons thread these are the kind of things I'd be praising Lucas on. Whilst I accept Aquilani is very good on the ball, recycles possession quickly and makes good decisions, there's just no way I'd trust him in the DM spot. He's not proven to me that he can read the game like that in a holding role. If you think you've seen enough of him doing that for Milan or someone then fair enough. I personally haven't.

EDIT: That's a good video though. I didn't realise he'd passed the ball that well. But the video is biased, it doesn't show the mistakes he made. I'd prefer an every touch video.

He won't be in a DM spot though surely? Sure it's better if you can tackle well if you're playing in the centre but it's not a necessity, look at Scholes (No, I'm not saying Aqua is as good as Scholes for any Man Utd fan reading).

That is a response to Falahk who said he'd prefer to see Aquilani in the DM spot to Allen. I'm not arguing against Aquilani playing in one of the other CM roles.

On Carroll, I don't know if this has been said already but Rodgers was a big fan of Gregorz Rasiak when he was at Reading, I think at the time Rodgers was sacked Rasiak was our top scorer though it might have been Sigurdsson. We had better strikers at the club (Long and Church) but Rodgers liked that McAnuff (see: Downing) could ping a cross onto his head.

Carroll is much better than Rasiak in every way, so I don't think it is necessarily curtains for Carroll because of Rodgers' system (it might be because he isn't good enough, but that's something else entirely). From what Rodgers has said, he prefers Borini, but you need more than one striker and Suarez could be needed elsewhere.

I don't think he meant in the DM spot, that place is Lucas'. I think he means that when needed in a defensive situation he can do whats needed and has more to his game with his passing and creativity.

Fair enough if I've misunderstood him but when someone refers to the "deep role", for me that can only possibly refer to the position that Lucas is going to be first choice for.

I was arguing that Allen would be the better suited back up to Lucas in that.

Lucas would ofcorse be first chose for dm, but its probably madness to spend £15m on Allen when Aquilani could function well in a similar role (and possibly even do it better, for me Aqua would edge it since he is better on the ball, but yes Allen is probably better defensivly so it would be a mather of personal taste in that case)

I did only watch Juventus and Milan play on semi regular basis when Aquilani was on loan there so its a bit hard for me to pass any judgment on that part, but I did watch him play a whole lot back in the days when he played for Roma, and most of the time it was ether him or Pizarro who played the slightly deeper and defensive role while Perrotta and De Rossi played higher up the pitch

@Irishkop1892: Reports of a £16.3 million bid submitted by Liverpool has been accepted by Bologna for Gaston Ramirez #Reports #LFC #Ramirez

@Irishkop1892: Reports of a £16.3 million bid submitted by Liverpool has been accepted by Bologna for Gaston Ramirez #Reports #LFC #Ramirez

Reporters who write for the echo and are with the club in America said a few days there have been no approaches or bids for the player from liverpool. All this talk linking us with the player is all from twitter.

Well it's not going to be Junior Hoilett, he's off to QPR :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19015967

Hasnt that been news for almost a month now? I guess it was rumor before hand and now offical.

Somebody posted in here about a month ago saying he'd signed for a German club, not sure where that came from.

Good signing for QPR, I think we should have gone in for him.

Spurs looking to hijack our move for Allen now. First Gylfi, now Joe. Hate Spurs.

Why wouldn't we be in for Hoilet, for free? I just don't get it.

Hi guys first time posting on this thread:thup:

Any word on whats happening with Joe Cole?

He had a good season and Lille, however I dont see any place for him especially on the rumoured wages he's on.

The lack of width is also a big concern. Instead of splashing out £15 million for a midfielder we dont need I would rather we signed two good wingers one for either side.

We're stuck with Cole. The amount of wages he's on means nobody would touch him, unless he takes a big pay cut and why would he do that? Yet another player on the LFC gravy train.

Hi guys first time posting on this thread:thup:

Any word on whats happening with Joe Cole?

He had a good season and Lille, however I dont see any place for him especially on the rumoured wages he's on.

The lack of width is also a big concern. Instead of splashing out £15 million for a midfielder we dont need I would rather we signed two good wingers one for either side.

Apart from wingers, midfield is where we are most weak. And there's nothing to say we aren't going for both.

Apart from wingers, midfield is where we are most weak. And there's nothing to say we aren't going for both.

we then need to sell some midfielders before we bring in then.

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Aquilani, Spearing, Shelvey

On the wings we have Downing, Bellamy and Cole

I would certainly like two wingers first and foremost dont want a season with Henderson, Adam or even Suarez being pushed out onto the wings

That a joke?

No, we should be looking for better than him.

As a free he would have been an okay addition, but we need someone with more quality imo.

Spearing gone for good would be better than decent. Imagine if we even got a fee for him?

we then need to sell some midfielders before we bring in then.

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Aquilani, Spearing, Shelvey

On the wings we have Downing, Bellamy and Cole

I would certainly like two wingers first and foremost dont want a season with Henderson, Adam or even Suarez being pushed out onto the wings

I disagree firstly because top quality wingers are so hard to find they're transfer fee and wage demands would be prohibitive for us at the moment, and secondly because the system Rodgers is likely to use favours inside forwards as opposed to wingers, and we've got some good options there.

Separately, I'm not sure getting rid of Spearing would be the right thing to do. He's 21, plenty of time for him to develop. He ended up with a lot of responsibility on his shoulders last season and did ok with it, but needs more mentoring from Lucas imo.

Tough game tonight but hopefully out internationals will be given a run out. Id like to see carroll given a half to see how he fits in.

No Aquilani, Kelly, Johnson or Agger for us tonight as they have knocks and aren't risked.

Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Shelvey, Adam, Downing, Cole, Morgan.

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Henderson, Eccleston, Sterling, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini, Carroll.

Amorebieta and Coates to be the tallest CB partnership in the league. 6'4 and 6'6 :*)

Gerrard and Borini to come on after 60 mins, Henderson will get the whole second half.

No Aquilani, Kelly, Johnson or Agger for us tonight as they have knocks and aren't risked.

Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Shelvey, Adam, Downing, Cole, Morgan.

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Henderson, Eccleston, Sterling, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini, Carroll.

Any idea why Suso isn't playing?

Americans are weird. Why sing their national anthem in a friendly between two English clubs?