Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

just sounds like a guy who is frustrated to not be playing but no way can you come out and question your manager in the press like that. it starts off okay but then just veers into him questioning Rodger's judgment and motives, that ain't okay no way Jose.

Yeah the comment about him not being sure if the explanation BR have him was the truth is out of order (if it's actually what he said in that context). He'll be off in summer, hopefully to Anzhi so we can get a good fee for him.

part exchange with Zenit for Witsel. You know it makes sense.

See someone said Skertal was below CL class.

Would you be happy with Skertal being replaced with Williams? (Doubt I would).

Not arsed about Skrtel. Increasingly (and very disappointingly) starting to think similar about Agger. Both have been poor. Don't think the midfield is offering them any protection really. Rodgers has left us so open through the middle. But something needs to change either way as we're p*ss weak at the back.

Didn't he have a strop under Dalglish too, or was it early in the Rodgers era.

Should stop playing like he has never seen a football before, then he might get a game.

I can give Dagger the benefit of the doubt for now. He was boss for Denmark in the summer, so I think he can regain that again.

Would anyone take Shawcross? He seems to be a big fecker who can dominate a defence. He'd certainly be more drilled to lead a line and deal with physical players.

I'd have a player like him, though. Not sure how he'd cope in a different team though

Sama just been sent off for the U21's. Sterling, Shelvey (who is now RB cause of that red) and Suso and Wisdom all started.

Would anyone take Shawcross? He seems to be a big fecker who can dominate a defence. He'd certainly be more drilled to lead a line and deal with physical players.

I'd have a player like him, though. Not sure how he'd cope in a different team though

oh dear shawcross are you f***ing kidding me, I'd rather have a one legged carragher in defence than shawcross.

Very important position. We should be aiming much higher than Shawcross. Someone like Subotic would be ideal, though perhaps a little unlikely (unless we go charging into 4th place ;))

If theres players like Johnny Evans, Cahill, Vermaelen and Nastatic getting games for the big clubs, then I'm sure Shawcross isn't too far off their ability.

We really need a dominant defender.

Good grief, the arrogance of some 'Pool fans on here beggars belief.

" We should be aiming much higher than Shawcross "

Better defender than Carragher and Skrtel. How much better is anybody's guess.

Overinflated price no doubt, which would kind of rule him out as an option anyway. But i would rather him in the side than either JC or MS.

I have no worries with shawcross matching up for the physical battle but I just wonder on the technical side passing out of defence etc its very important under BR that defenders can do that.

Just buy Thiago Silva and be done with it. :D

I don't think Rodgers would want Shawcross anyway tbh, yes he's physical but he'll want another Ball Playing Centre Half, like Agger. Shawcross isn't very good technically and although he's a good defender he's also very aggressive and would probably pick up a lot of cards, so we'd have to have another good defender anyway for when he's suspended.

It's not arrogance, it's wanting to buy something more than a 1970 throwback centre half. The game has moved on from that crap. They way we set defensively means they have to be able to play with the ball at their feet. Shawcross can't do that, and he is frankly no better than anything we already have. You'll pay £15m for him easily, due to the "English premium". Then everyone will moan like feck, when he turns out a bit dodgy and the fee looks crazy.

There's a reason why no big clubs have even sniffed around Shawcross yet.

He is good in the hustle and bustle, but when players get around near him on the floor he is shocking as he proved against Sweden. At Liverpool he'll be required to deal with strikers more one on one and he is no where near capable of doing that.

I have no worries with shawcross matching up for the physical battle but I just wonder on the technical side passing out of defence etc its very important under BR that defenders can do that.
exactly, he is clearly good enough, but he does not suit the teams playing style.....kind of like enrique really

He really is not good enough nothing to do with style he's average to say the least - centre back version of konchesky. He looks woeful against decent centre forwards due to lack of pace and tactical awareness. If we want to improve we need to get better results against the better teams average joes like shawcross won't get us there.

Jesus it's embarassing that Shawcross' name is even being discussed in this many posts that aren't just utterly dismissive.

...and I think faith in Coates is fading...

We bought him on the strength of his performances in the Copa America. Still amazed players are still bought this way.

Beware the one tournament star.

Well we need to buy at least 2 CBs in, and I think faith in Coates is fading...

Yes, but trading in for Shawcross isn't improvement, and improvement is what we need.

If theres players like Johnny Evans, Cahill, Vermaelen and Nastatic getting games for the big clubs, then I'm sure Shawcross isn't too far off their ability.

We really need a dominant defender.

Evans is good these days tbf.

See someone said Skertal was below CL class.

Would you be happy with Skertal being replaced with Williams? (Doubt I would).

Yep I did, watched him at Zenit too and he was the same. Just not quite there positionally or technique wise. Hope he heads back there over the summer.

And absolutely not with Williams.

Skrtel and Carragher aren't exactly blessed with footballing ability either. Neither was Williams. Both managed fine in the system under the passing front.

Skrtel and Carra haven't managed fine with the passing system, Man City and Zenit can vouch for that. There have been plenty of other occasions where those two have looked uncomfortable with the system, which explains why Carra is retiring and Skrtel has been dropped.

We definitely need a new partner for Agger next season.

Also I'm surprised at all the calls for Reina to get the chop - admittedly he's not been at his best this season but all goalies have bad moments and have we had a better one than him in recent years? He is miles better than Dudek, Kirkland, Westerveld, Carson, Doni, Jones, Arphexad, Friedel and James are/were.

Evans is good these days tbf.
Take away the Man United equation and look at Evans as a player, then ask yourself if you'd have him in your team!

Skrtel and Carra haven't managed fine with the passing system, Man City and Zenit can vouch for that. There have been plenty of other occasions where those two have looked uncomfortable with the system, which explains why Carra is retiring and Skrtel has been dropped.

Also I'm surprised at all the calls for Reina to get the chop - admittedly he's not been at his best this season but all goalies have bad moments and have we had a better one than him in recent years? He is miles better than Dudek, Kirkland, Westerveld, Carson, Doni, Jones, Arphexad, Friedel and James are/were.

I think Skrtel and Carragher have adapted surprisingly well, and i think Skrtel being dropped is more down to his personality on the pitch, and the need for an organiser in defence such as Carragher.

I don't think the system is the reason for Carragher's retirement either.

Ashley Williams is supposedly a passing defender, and he's made several mistakes which lead to goals/chances.

Hopefully Coutinho and Lucas will be recommending Dede...

being better than them doesn't make him good enough on current form to be in a team that wants CL football. He needs to get his head back on straight. Will probably be party of the confederations cup team this summer which might not help

I think Skrtel and Carragher have adapted surprisingly well, and i think Skrtel being dropped is more down to his personality on the pitch, and the need for an organiser in defence such as Carragher.

I don't think the system is the reason for Carragher's retirement either.

Ashley Williams is supposedly a passing defender, and he's made several mistakes which lead to goals/chances.

Hopefully Coutinho and Lucas will be recommending Dede...

Is Dede actually any good in real life, or is he mainly famous because he's one of the quickest defenders on FIFA 13?

From what I have read from those that watch Brazilian football, he is immense. Not gonna come cheap though. Of course those people could be going off FIFA more too. Need to summon PMLF.

They have done fine. The issues with their defending is fannying around with it too much; causing pressure on them as the opposition closes in. Also, just ridiculous decision making and very bad marking the opposition. And not just them two, Agger as well. Most of the time they are fine with passing, its only when they mess about with it instead of kicking it away they get caught out.

I hope Reina turns it around as well, but he's declined massively over at LEAST two years now.

we need this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR46hyrCCI4

howedes looks pretty decent too. infact theres probably a fair few decent cb's in germany. de vrij in holland too, didnt rodgers go scout him over the weekend?

personally i'd swap hummels and howedes for skrtel and agger esp if we got the money rumoured around for them in the summer.

We'd never get Hummels. He plays for a championship challenging Champions League team and is one of the best and most sought-after CBs in Europe. Would be amazy though I agree.

would gladly take Howedes, be a lot of competition if he were to leave though.

in the summer Agger and Skrtel was subject to transfers to Man City for around 20 million. If we did sell either or both of them considering we aint even in the CL who would we sign that is currently better? is it not possible they have just had a bad out of form period or maybe Rodgers isnt training the defensive side of the team very well?

I cant possibly see who we would sign that is better? who would come? one defender that i liked was Vertonghen and we wont get him now..

If you look at all the big clubs. Man U, Man C, Chelsea and Arsenal all i hear about is how the defense is poor, they all need to strengthen, we need to find a future star and quickly before the bigger clubs beat us to it, we will be left with more average players and pay over the odds to get them..

I cant possibly see who we would sign that is better?

To be fair, at the time we signed them, neither player were exactly world-renowned names. I am sure there are similar players out there we could sign.

Yeah for some reason we always bring in CBs just before they become immense. Hansen from Alloa Athletic, Hyypia from Willem II, Agger from Brondby(?), and err, Phil Babb. We just need to uncover that little gem.

Hyypia. God what an excellent spot that was by whoever was doing the scouting back then.

Has anyone seen anything of this 21yo defender we are being linked with from Holland?

Hyypia. God what an excellent spot that was by whoever was doing the scouting back then.

Has anyone seen anything of this 21yo defender we are being linked with from Holland?

Ron Yeats spotted him when he was our chief scout - great centreback finds great centreback.

The mention of Phil Babb just reminds me when we went and splashed out £7m on him and John Scales within 24 hours and they went on to be awful, and just slightly less than awful, in that order. And this was in 1994 when £7m was a hell of a lot to blow in one go like that. Entertaining football but no discipline in the team at all under 'Mr Nice Guy' Roy Evans. Bad times :(

Phil Babb reminds me of when Sunderland fans on this forum were buzzing about a new signing being announced at midday, all throwing names around guessing who it might be, then at around 11:55 someone posted, "guys, I've got an awful feeling it's Phil Babb..." And it was.

They have done fine. The issues with their defending is fannying around with it too much; causing pressure on them as the opposition closes in. Also, just ridiculous decision making and very bad marking the opposition. And not just them two, Agger as well. Most of the time they are fine with passing, its only when they mess about with it instead of kicking it away they get caught out.

I'd argue that they are messing around and making poor decisions because they haven't fully adapted to the new system of keeping the ball.

My only good memory of Phil Babb was when he slid in towards the goal on his backside, one leg either side of the post.....ouch.