Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think coutinho has shown he can come in and play straight away which is great for us and signing sturridge has shown us that weve lacked a real striker who gets into positions to score goals and create for the rest, i thought he was MOTM too.

looking at the rolling table on last page that set of results in the run in looks a fair reflection of what we might achieve allowing for the inconsistency thats been plaguing us. so 20 points in the run in will give us 59 points at the end of the season. will probably be good enough for 6th maybe. i'd love to think if we get some momentum going and go on a run we can get more but you just know we're bound to have more games like the west brom game sadly.

Like how Rodgers comes out and says Liverpool can still get top 4 :/ Talk about having the blinkers on. Apart from playing Swansea Res he's still yet to beat a top half side.
“For me, I will always say something is possible if it is mathematically possible,” said Rodgers. “Say, for example, we won 10 out of our last 12 games, that would take us close to fourth place.

“While there’s a chance I have to retain my optimism.

“So while we haven’t given up, we also know it’s going to be very difficult. I don’t want to be hung out to dry as a fool.”

Quite happy to have a manager who realises the position we are in but wants to win every game, to achieve as much as we can, couldn't have asked for a better set of remaining fixtures either:

11 games left, 6 away from home against teams placed 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

5 home games, against 3 of our rivals for places, and teams placed 11 and 20

As Liverpool fans poured out of Anfield content with the Reds' five-star showing against Swansea, club statistician Ged Rea was busy poring over facts and figures in the club's famous old Boot Room.

Coutinho's second-half strike settled nerves on the Kop - but it also got our official statto thinking about the last time so many different players scored for the club in one season.

In beating Michel Vorm with a powerful right-footed effort, Coutinho became the 18th player to find the back of the net during the current campaign.

Such a feat, Ged soon realised, has only been achieved once before in Liverpool history - when 18 different players scored for Gerard Houllier's side in the 1999-2000 season.

And so here we bring you a run-down of this year's goal-getters.

Leading scorer Luis Suarez and captain Steven Gerrard have contributed the bulk of the overall tally so far with 31 goals between them.

Since joining the club at the start of the January transfer window, Daniel Sturridge has added five goals to the Reds' total.

Shortly after Sturridge walked through the doors at Melwood, Nuri Sahin and Joe Cole departed in the opposite direction. However, prior to doing so, the pair notched goals for the Reds during the first half of the season.

Jordan Henderson scored goals against Udinese, Norwich and Arsenal while Raheem Sterling struck against Reading and Sunderland at Anfield.

On a whirlwind night in Switzerland, debutant Andre Wisdom powered home his only Liverpool goal to date and Sebastian Coates sent a looping header past Marco Wolfli as Young Boys were beaten 5-3.

Two of Jonjo Shelvey's five goals this season came in the same game.

Fabio Borini struck against Gomel and Joe Allen volleyed home what proved to be a consolation at Oldham.

Two long-range efforts from Glen Johnson saw him add his name to the list of goalscorers and Stewart Downing has notched three goals in all competitions this season.

Martin Skrtel, Jose Enrique and Daniel Agger have all scored twice - and with new-boy Coutinho included, that takes our tally to 18.

Perhaps all that really remains now is a goal from Jamie Carragher to set a fresh record and give the Liverpool legend a perfect send-off as he prepares to hang up his boots in the summer.

should have had Carra take that last pen!

Carra would've just hoofed it up the other end of the pitch or into the stands. Old habits.

Nice of Gerrard to let Sturridge have it, he missed a few chances in the game and, being a striker, probably needed a goal for his confidence as much as anything.

Steven Gerrard - £120,000

Luis Suarez - £100,000

Pepe Reina - £90,000

Daniel Sturridge - £80,000.. (that's too much)

Jamie Carragher - £85,000 (wow..)

Stewart Downing - £80,000!!!

Glen Johnson - £80,000

Jordan Henderson - £70,000 (he is not worth £70k a week..)

Martin Skrtel - £70,000

Daniel Agger - £70,000

Lucas Leiva - £65,000

Jose Enrique - £55,000

Joe Allen - £45,000

Raheem Sterling - £30,000

Sebastian Coates - £29,000

Oussama Assaidi - £21,000

Danny Wilson - £20,000

Brad Jones - £20,000

Jonjo Shelvey - £18,000

Martin Kelly - £15,000

Suso - £10,000

Most via @MatchOfTheDave

Those comments in the brackets aren't mine either btw.

Surprised by a few on that list tbh, likes of Danny Wilson, Coates , Henderson and Downing.

Wilson - Coates should be 10-15k. Henderson about 30k. Hard to put a wage on Downing considering his age and what he would have been earning at Villa.

Thought Carragher would have been on more too.

If that's Downing's wage it's a complete abomination. He should be on £30,000 basic for his ability levels, if that.

I know it's been a looooong time since it was posted so I'll quote it for you:

I highly doubt you buy a player for 20 million (or however close to that Downing cost) and pay him 30k a week. His wage matches his transfer fee pretty well, if this is even true

He was playing very well at Villa when we signed him.

You can't just pull arbitrary figure out of the air and say that's what someone should be on. He was an established international at the peak of his career and 70k a week is going rate for that type of player, at most clubs. £30k is promising youngster wages these days.

I know it's been a looooong time since it was posted so I'll quote it for you:

So? I saw and understood what you wrote. Regardless, the decision to pay him so much money is an abomination, I don't care how much we paid for him (which is also an abomination btw) or if his wages 'fits' the transfer fee. For someone of his ability he should be no where near £80k.

TBF to Downing, it seemed a sound a sensible transfer at the time.

We overpaid somewhat (as you always do with English players), but he had been excellent in the season prior to joining us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course. Also, let's remember it was really Ashley Young we wanted (but had not chance of getting).

Archived