Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going well against the lower orders this season, not doing much against the big boys yet, but for a rebuilding season I'd say we're coming along nicely. Playing with tons of confidence at the moment, just need more experience for the lads so they can transfer it to the big games.

Gerrard Lucas and Henderson is a great midfield combination, and Sturridge and Suarez seem to have hit it off already, despite Luis' racist ways ofc.

calm down man and dont get to much ahead of yourself, Hendo have only had a few decent games recently and you are already starting to overhype him, he still have a bit to learn before he becomes a better player then Allen. the potential is clearly there and have always been though

well you got to look at the fact i wasnt convinced with us signing allen in the first place and although he started very well his last few starts have been close to atrocious. hendo's always had the potential for me and i like the way rodgers held him back for the first half of the season and let him get a fresh start as you could see the weight of the world on his shoulders when he played but that break has done him the world of good.

ofc he's not the finished article but he's definitely heading in the right direction now.

good performances all round today meant a great team performance from the lads. if we can get that winning mentality and confidence then we really should comfortably finish top 6. given we've been mid table all season i'll take that tyvm!

Bloody Arsenal and City the next 2 games; both away :( 3 points from those two would be good, 4 would be superb.

Along with United it was always going to be a difficult period which is why it is essential that we win our home games.

RESULTS COMPARISON CHART 2012/13

Reading = Bolton
Southampton = Blackburn
West Ham = Wolves

Last season	This season 	Pts	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18/08/2012 West Brom v Liverpool        W 0-2           L 3-0 		-3	
26/08/2012 Liverpool v Man City         D 1-1           D 2-2 		-3	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/09/2012 Liverpool v Arsenal          L 1-2           L 0-2           -3
15/09/2012 Sunderland v Liverpool       L 1-0           D 1-1           -2
23/09/2012 Liverpool v Man Utd          D 1-1           L 1-2           -3
29/09/2012 Norwich v Liverpool          W 0-3           W 2-5           -3
06/10/2012 Liverpool v Stoke            D 0-0           D 0-0           -3   
20/10/2012 Liverpool v Reading          W 3-1           W 1-0           -3
27/10/2012 Everton v Liverpool          W 0-2           D 2-2           -5
04/11/2012 Liverpool v Newcastle        W 3-1           D 1-1           -7
11/11/2012 Chelsea v Liverpool          W 1-2           D 1-1           -9
17/11/2012 Liverpool v Wigan            L 1-2           W 3-0           -6
24/11/2012 Swansea v Liverpool          L 0-1           D 0-0           -5
28/11/2012 Tottenham v Liverpool        L 4-0           L 2-1           -5
01/12/2012 Liverpool v Southampton      D 1-1           W 1-0           -3
08/12/2012 West Ham v Liverpool        	W 0-3           W 2-3           -3
15/12/2012 Liverpool v Aston Villa     	D 1-1           L 1-3           -4
22/12/2012 Liverpool v Fulham           L 0-1           W 4-0           -1
26/12/2012 Stoke v Liverpool            L 1-0           L 3-1           -1
29/12/2012 QPR v Liverpool             	L 3-2           W 0-3           +2
01/01/2013 Liverpool v Sunderland       D 1-1           W 3-0           +4
12/01/2013 Man Utd v Liverpool          L 2-1           L 2-1           +4
19/01/2013 Liverpool v Norwich          D 1-1           W 5-0           +6 
30/01/2013 Arsenal v Liverpool          W 0-2             
02/02/2013 Man City v Liverpool         L 3-0             
09/02/2013 Liverpool v West Brom        L 0-1             
23/02/2013 Liverpool v Swansea         	D 0-0             
02/03/2013 Wigan v Liverpool           	D 0-0             
09/03/2013 Liverpool v Tottenham        D 0-0             
16/03/2013 Southampton v Liverpool      W 2-3             
30/03/2013 Aston Villa v Liverpool      W 0-2             
06/04/2013 Liverpool v West Ham        	W 2-1             
13/04/2013 Reading v Liverpool          L 3-1             
20/04/2013 Liverpool v Chelsea          W 4-1             
27/04/2013 Newcastle v Liverpool        L 1-2             
04/05/2013 Liverpool v Everton          W 3-0             
12/05/2013 Fulham v Liverpool           L 1-0             
19/05/2013 Liverpool v QPR              W 1-0             

Writing on his website, the Stoke City player also said he would not have had so many fitness worries if he had joined Liverpool's rivals Manchester United at a younger age.

Owen, who signed for Stoke in September but has made only four substitute appearances for the Premier League club, is sidelined with a hamstring injury, a problem that has followed him throughout his career.

"It is my genuine opinion I have become injury prone due to overplaying at a young age," he said. "In my case I certainly feel like I played too much too soon.

"The problem as a young player is you want to play every week and therefore it has to be the responsibility of the manager to take the decision to rest young players thereby giving them the best chance of a long and injury-free career."

Owen burst on the scene in 1997, scoring on his debut for Liverpool as a 17-year-old, and was soon an established England international after netting one of the goals of the tournament against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup.

Blessed with a remarkable turn of pace and a striker's eye for goal, Owen regularly topped the Premier League scoring charts. He said, however, that his speed also contributed to his injury woes.

Owen picked up his first serious hamstring injury in 1999 and spent the rest of his career battling to stay off the treatment table.

"When the time came to make my debut for Liverpool I was mentally ready," he added. "I hit the ground running and won the Premier League Golden Boot (as top scorer) in my first two seasons of first team football.

"Then, on a cold night in March 1999 at Elland Road (Leeds United's ground), my body made me pay for pushing it to the limit too often.

"My hamstring snapped in two and it was at that point that my ability to perform unimpeded was finished. It didn't have to be that way," said Owen.

"My rehabilitation was compromised due to our physio leaving the club that summer and not being replaced until the following season and with no regular medical care during such a critical time, a routine injury was destined to restrict me for the rest of my career."

Owen, who signed for Manchester United in 2009 after spells with Real Madrid and Newcastle United, said had he joined up with Old Trafford manager Alex Ferguson earlier in his career some of the injury problems could have been avoided.

"Only a couple of weeks ago I read with great interest an article that was written about me," he said.

"Alex had made some comments suggesting I would have been a better player had I been managed more effectively in the early part of my career. I have to agree with most of what he said except the usage of the word 'better'.

"In my opinion had I been managed differently I would have been at my best for longer as opposed to being a better player," said Owen.

"There is no doubt I would have won more honours had I signed for Manchester United as a youngster. I am pretty confident I would have been at the height of my powers over a longer period of time too."

Owen, who won an FA Cup, two League Cups and a UEFA Cup at Liverpool, made 216 league appearances for the club and scored 118 goals.

He is the Premier League's sixth highest scorer with 149 goals. Owen is also England's fourth highest scorer, having netted 40 times in 89 appearances.

First time I read this article....

What a cvnt

Stevie G has been playing well the last month or so. Passes today were incredible, Henderson pressures the opposition well and one of the few midfielders we have who runs into the box from deep.

Great goals by Henderson and stevie while great dummy by Sturridge put Suarez through. Disappointed with lack of atmosphere. 7 clean sheets from our last 9 home games.

we beat arsenal last season? my memory is shot.

2 points from city and arsenal away would be acceptable for me. best hope is 4 with a win at arsenal.

i have to say that i am not too downtrodden by the fact that our wins have come from teams in the bottom 10. at least we know we have that area locked down.

we beat arsenal last season? my memory is shot.

2 points from city and arsenal away would be acceptable for me. best hope is 4 with a win at arsenal.

i have to say that i am not too downtrodden by the fact that our wins have come from teams in the bottom 10. at least we know we have that area locked down.

We did yeah one of my best away days although arsenal were down to 10 men. suarez and meireles I think

Interesting stat I just noticed... Sterling has no pace yet he's the second most fouled player in the EPL. 2 fouls from 1st. Must be his technique and raw skill that gets him fouled so much...

so the rodgers rebuilding project has us 3 points from 5th (possibly 6 if everton win again against soton). 7 possibly 10 to 4th.

i am satisfied with where the team is.

Won same amount of home games as last season already and need around 20 points to beat last seasons tally. I am happy with progress we are making. Don't forget we have had Lucas, reina and Enrique missing thus season. Played a right back at left back had an untried 18 year old at right back and 2 midfield teenagers making their debut season oh and only 1 fit striker for so long.

Won same amount of home games as last season already and need around 20 points to beat last seasons tally. I am happy with progress we are making. Don't forget we have had Lucas, reina and Enrique missing thus season. Played a right back at left back had an untried 18 year old at right back and 2 midfield teenagers making their debut season oh and only 1 fit striker for so long.

now imagine we had a proper squad all year... In my own opinion I think next season top 4 has to be the goal.

I don't expect us to get anything from either game, but the thing is, they aren't exactly playing well this season so you just never know. Like I said, I expect nothing so if we can get anything from either game then that is a positive.

Watching MOTD and the ball from Downing to Sturridge for the third goal. Downing put numerous crosses into the box last season in a similar position and there was never anyone there and if they were they fluffed the chance. Carroll against Swansea sticks out the most.

Lazy story and so predictable as I said earlier

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2265164/Barcelona-set-sights-Liverpool-goalkeeper-Pepe-Reina.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Disappointed Match of the Day didn't show any of Gerrards great long range passing.

Watching MOTD and the ball from Downing to Sturridge for the third goal.

What bothers me most about Downing, other than being a coward defensively, is that he so blatantly telegraphs his intentions. 9/10 times the fullback knows if he's going to try to go past him or cut inside, because he has no guile about him whatsoever. There's no doubt he can cross a ball, but our attacking moves break down on him far too often.

What bothers me most about Downing, other than being a coward defensively
since when do wingers put their foot in defensively

If that's true why did Rodgers play him at LB on a number of occasions?? That would mean that Rodgers doesn't know what he is doing, doesn't it :)

Good win but another team beaten in the bottom half of the table. Can't play against them all season.

record against bottom half teams W9 D2 L1

that is fantastic, and so many previous seasons' performances against such teams have been abysmal and what has cost us 4th place. was W7 D7 L6 last season and W9 D3 L8 the season before.

Really need to up our game against top half teams though. Obviously points lost/thrown away vs City and Everton, but in 10/11 it was W8 D4 L6 and the 3rd best in the league, 11/12: W7 D3 L8 and 6th best. So far this season we are 18th with W0 D5 L6, i.e. we'd have to win every remaining game against top half opposition to match last year and can't hit the year before(though teams will move in/out top half so that can change). The very bad start hit us hard in that departement, but I'm quite happy to be playing Arsenal/City next so we can see how we can do against them following some fantastic football recently at teams lower down the table.

And of course a :cool: for that Sturridge dummy. Really great to see he plays with a smile on his face a lot of the time too, even when things haven't gone right.

Rodgers quote

"It [Daniel Sturridge's goal] was the type of goal he was brought in for. He is terrific outside the box but he is a real killer in it

This is so true. Surez is much better employed outside the box causing havoc rather than hanging around in the 6 yard box for those tap ins etc.

Archived