Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

I would have Muniain in a hreatbeat. The lad is going to be a superstar.

I see we are being linked with Alexis Sanchez from barca. Wishful thinking but one can dream. Better then being linked constantly with the likes of Tom Ince.

So we're being linked with Sanchez, Tello and Deulofeu. Why not just go the whole hog and put a bid in for Messi too? Maybe get a 'buy 3 get1 free' deal on the go?

So we're being linked with Sanchez, Tello and Deulofeu. Why not just go the whole hog and put a bid in for Messi too? Maybe get a 'buy 3 get1 free' deal on the go?

it smacks of a journo saying they are trying to implement a system similar to barca's. so what players can we link them with.

it smacks of a journo saying they are trying to implement a system similar to barca's. so what players can we link them with.
there was a lot of talk of tello moving to england (united and liverpool being mentioned) before he renewed his contract at barca if I recall it right, its probably just a combination of what you mention and these rumours returning

Great result on Sunday after squandering the early initiative. In recent times our heads would've dropped and we'd have lost that match but we kept plugging away and got the win despite not being at our best and even without Luis.

It shows that the players are gaining more confidence in their own ability and have realised that we should be beating teams like West Ham, something thats been lacking in the last 2 seasons.

Now we just need to kick on and hammer Villa and Fulham, no more scraping home by a single goal or worse, dour nil-nil draws!

would be delighted to have Ince back, but just can't get behind the Sturridge idea when Walcott may be available. though perhaps that's a fair bit too simplistic a way of looking at it

Why are people happy with Ince?

He wasn't good enough when he was here, which is why he didn't get game time and he left for next to nothing. He has a decent season in the Championship and all of a sudden he seems to be flavour of the month. I don't want him back here. I know we're not very good anymore but ffs, we should be aiming a little higher than 'bolstering' our already average squad with another average player. The only way I can see him improving us is financially, if we sell Downing, and having a homegrown player for Europe.

Walcott would be an actual improvement on our squad.

Can't say I'm happy with us being linked to Sturridge either. I keep hearing that's a done deal.

Ince could be s great signing, already bossing the Championship and still young so will probably develop further.

Think you are underestimating the league here as Shane Long/Cahill/Jagielka/Lescott/Adam Johnson/Joe Allen/Ox Chamberlain and a lot more players gave come out the league. His attitude and age makes it a lot more promising too. Fits Brendan's style well too.

It's just more ifs and maybes when what we need is some proven, experienced, quality. Sure he could be a great player in a couple of years but that doesn't necessarily help us now. We already have enough young, inexperienced, potential at the club.

Sign him next season, but for now, can we aim a little higher please.

He wasn't good enough when he was here, which is why he didn't get game time and he left for next to nothing. He has a decent season in the Championship and all of a sudden he seems to be flavour of the month. I don't want him back here. I know we're not very good anymore but ffs, we should be aiming a little higher than 'bolstering' our already average squad with another average player. The only way I can see him improving us is financially, if we sell Downing, and having a homegrown player for Europe.

Can't say I'm happy with us being linked to Sturridge either. I keep hearing that's a done deal.

Just because he wasn't good enought at 17/18 doesn't mean he isn't good enough now. Some players develop later, some develop early and stall. Ince needed games and has had that on loan spells and his last couple of seasons at Blackpool. He has come on tons, he is still young and showing a LOT of promise. Better than Downing anyway..

It is Sturridge's attitude which is putting me off him the most. He comes accross rather arogant and expects to be the centre of attention.

I got the impression Ince was also hugely unpopular at the club when he was he before too. Not passing to teammates and acting up to his surname a bit frankly.

He wasn't good enough when he was here, which is why he didn't get game time and he left for next to nothing.

Right, because the manager only ever chose the best players last year? If BR was here maybe he would have gotten a chance, just like if Kenny was still here maybe Sterling and Wisdom would still be sat in the reserves.
He has a decent season in the Championship and all of a sudden he seems to be flavour of the month. I don't want him back here. I know we're not very good anymore but ffs, we should be aiming a little higher than 'bolstering' our already average squad with another average player. The only way I can see him improving us is financially, if we sell Downing, and having a homegrown player for Europe.

An outstanding (half) season. 13 goals in 19 games if far more the decent for a winger. Nice to see you writing him off as average though, based on what? the fact that our inept management last year didnt do anything with him? Arguably one of the top few championship players this season and only 20 years old. for £6m at the least we could get back what we pay. This idea that we didn't offer him first team football a year ago so he can't possibly be good enough for us, regardless of what he does on the pitch, just seems so utterly devoid of any logic to me, especially for a club that got so. ****ing. much. wrong over the past 18 months

Sign him next season, but for now, can we aim a little higher please.

ah, so wait until he costs more and there are more clubs interested in him and he's got less ties to liverpool to return to? Got it.

We don't even know what our financial situation is, so it's not necessariley the case that £6m for Ince or however much is stopping us getting who we want elsewhere. I'd also say the rotating Ince and Sterling would be good for both of them in terms of game time, pressure and competition.

Right, because the manager only ever chose the best players last year? If BR was here maybe he would have gotten a chance, just like if Kenny was still here maybe Sterling and Wisdom would still be sat in the reserves.

An outstanding (half) season. 13 goals in 19 games if far more the decent for a winger. Nice to see you writing him off as average though, based on what? the fact that our inept management last year didnt do anything with him? Arguably one of the top few championship players this season and only 20 years old. for £6m at the least we could get back what we pay. This idea that we didn't offer him first team football a year ago so he can't possibly be good enough for us, regardless of what he does on the pitch, just seems so utterly devoid of any logic to me, especially for a club that got so. ****ing. much. wrong over the past 18 months

ah, so wait until he costs more and there are more clubs interested in him and he's got less ties to liverpool to return to? Got it.

We don't even know what our financial situation is, so it's not necessariley the case that £6m for Ince or however much is stopping us getting who we want elsewhere. I'd also say the rotating Ince and Sterling would be good for both of them in terms of game time, pressure and competition.

I'm basing it on watching him play and the fact he was moved on because two different managers didn't fancy him and he was let go for free. Hardly a world beater right there.

So by your logic, any young player who wasn't good enough for us and was moved on, then has half (must be good then) a good season at a lower level should be signed again for a shed load of money (when we don't have it to waste) because A) he might do well, B) we could (probably) make the money back if it doesn't work out, C) other teams might buy him before we do, D) his price might go up if we wait a season, should be signed? Not to mention the fact that we're crying out for some experienced quality at this time, and not another young, inexperienced 'might be good' type player to go along with all the others at the club, who are playing first team football on a consistant basis when they really shouldn't be.

And my logic is flawed?

We shouldn't be signing him, and certainly not for six million, in my opinion. Maybe we will and he'll do great, and if that's the case then I'll happily hold my hands up, but on paper, he's not what we need right now.

And this 'he does well in the Championship argument is ridiculous'. There is a big difference between doing well in the Premiership and doing well in the Championship. It's a big step up, especially moving to a big club.

Ince was very good every time i saw him play for us at Youth/Reserve level, Very raw but you could see he was a wide player that was always looking to score rather than create.

Having said that he has always come across as a bit of a big time charlie, Ambitions all well and good, maybe some time in the championship has matured him somewhat but i doubt it and unless we have a favorable buy back clause spending anything silly on him for half a season doesn't seem good business.

I think Ince would be an improvement on Cole and Downing. Not just in terms of ability but wages and resellability. For a moderate fee I think he's a low risk purchase.

I'm basing it on watching him play and the fact he was moved on because two different managers didn't fancy him and he was let go for free. Hardly a world beater right there.

So by your logic, any young player who wasn't good enough for us and was moved on, then has half (must be good then) a good season at a lower level should be signed again for a shed load of money (when we don't have it to waste) because A) he might do well, B) we could (probably) make the money back if it doesn't work out, C) other teams might buy him before we do, D) his price might go up if we wait a season, should be signed? Not to mention the fact that we're crying out for some experienced quality at this time, and not another young, inexperienced 'might be good' type player to go along with all the others at the club, who are playing first team football on a consistant basis when they really shouldn't be.

And my logic is flawed?

We shouldn't be signing him, and certainly not for six million, in my opinion. Maybe we will and he'll do great, and if that's the case then I'll happily hold my hands up, but on paper, he's not what we need right now.

im not talking about any player, im talking about this specific one. you're also ignoring the fact that we didnt want to let him go, he just demanded first team football (which he has proven he was right to do) and so went. if he'd stayed it might well be him in the squad instead of Sterling. as for two different managers not fancying him, I don't remember Roy trying to sell him? Not playing an 18yr old is not equivalent to not thinking they are good enough. yes, your logic is flawed, only part of your post that is right.

and of course it's a big step up, no one is saying it isn't, but when he's totally ripping up that league at 20years old, that's a pretty good omen

we've withdrawn our complaint towards you, shame that it will go unpunished really :

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/12/ffc-withdraw-complaint

Fulham can confirm that it has today withdrawn the complaint made against Liverpool FC in regard to the Merseyside club’s inappropriate actions surrounding interest in Clint Dempsey over the summer.

Liverpool’s Chairman Tom Werner apologised personally to Mohamed Al Fayed, stating that his club were wholly responsible for unprofessional behaviour toward Fulham and emphasised his regret for the entire episode.

In a letter from Liverpool to Fulham’s CEO Alistair Mackintosh, Tom Werner’s praise of the magnanimous gesture from the Chairman was reiterated, as was the club’s assurance that the conduct of Liverpool was simply not acceptable.

The Chairman decided that this sincere action was enough, and as a gesture of goodwill, instructed that all complaints against them be dropped.

He wasn't good enough when he was here, which is why he didn't get game time and he left for next to nothing.

I'd believe that if the judgement hadn't been made by two managers who were dismal at bringing through young talent. I trust Rafa and Rodgers a lot more as judges of young talent.

I think Ince would be an improvement on Cole and Downing. Not just in terms of ability but wages and resellability. For a moderate fee I think he's a low risk purchase.

The mirror says we have a 35% sell on fee for him so our price would be reduced to allow for that. Can't see that bring correct with our recent history in the transfer market.

i think rodgers has already been given his budget and is trying to do the best with the funds he's got. lets face it no one expects him to be given £30m for one player so he's got to spread his outgoings around. buying youth now maybe a long term ambition to get us through transition though its obvious we need 'ready made' players to really improve us.

both ince and sturridge could go either way. ince may be benefiting from laxer defending than he'd face in the prem and sturridge could continue his 'big i am' routine, we dont know.

for all the good work rodgers is doing its his transfers that are worrying me most tbh. Allen seems one dimensional and goes colourblind 2-3 times a match and passes it str8 to the opposition and borini really hasnt shown much at all and did have his fair share of game time til he got injured. ofc both may improve. but rodgers is eventually gonna get judged on his signings as if theyre not good enough, then we wont have been good enough.

Assaidi hasn't exactly set the world on fire either, despite a few promising games in the League Cup/Europa.

Assaidi really should have played more. When we've resorted to playing Enrique at left mid over him (despite the fact he's done well there), and with Downing getting games there again too and being no better than ever, I don't really get what the deal is. We're desperately lacking in players who can make things happen aside from Suarez. Assaidi has the ability to change games if given the chance, however frustrating he may be at times.

Which appears to be a recurring theme in his career. If he's prone to lots of little niggling injuries it will effect his ability to break into the first team picture, and also to play well when given the chance because he's often playing with a knock or finding match fitness.

He has been injured ffs....

Don't remember any mention of him being injured from the club or the thread at all until you said it yesterday(?) seemingly based on the fact he played a game for the reserves.

Ah sorry was benjaminpeter. POINT STANDS!

maybe its just the defensive part of his game rodgers doesnt like. doesnt seem to be the most motivated player to come back and defend and rodgers is just waiting for him to get a grip on the discipline expected of him to start games.

that or he's just crap.

ive liked rodgers way of giving players a chance in the first team if theyve played well, instead of rotating just for rotational sake. i fully expect downing and cole to start on sat and possibly hendo for allen. perfect time to give sterling a rest too after his performance which is why i expect cole to start rather than deserving it, tho he did get a goal too.

SO which Liverpool player are Fulham signing in Jan then?

Stewart Downing.....hopefully.

We didn't want him to leave, we had offered him a contract to stay but he left as he wanted regular first team football and look at how he's progressed by doing so. Did you even watch him play when he was with us?

Edit : See Rafalution has already raised these points.

Ince wanted first team football, And by the look of him now he has matured into quite a good player. Although the jump from championship to premiership is reasonably big he should easily make it. Would provide better backup than what we currently get in Downing and Cole.

Sturridge - meh.. Dont like him, never have. I dont know why we arent looking abroad for a cpl of bargains maybe check out holland, russia and portugal. But if we are gonna stick with english players I would rather see the money spent on enticing Walcott. He would provide excellent width, pace, crossin and goalscoring potential cutting in from right, Or even use him on left of the 3 to cut inside to unleash shots on goal hopefully forcing a save or two to ricochet into the path of Suarez or an on rushing Midfielder.

There's no evidence to suggest we aren't looking abroad. Especially when we've signed two players from there, one of whom could be outstanding for many years to come.

We didn't want him to leave, we had offered him a contract to stay but he left as he wanted regular first team football and look at how he's progressed by doing so. Did you even watch him play when he was with us?

Edit : See Rafalution has already raised these points.

Yes I did, and he was well out of his depth. He's progressed at a lower level of football, for half a season, which is a **** poor argument as to why we should now spend 6million on him. People should stop using it.

Seems like everybodys mind is made up about him though. We didn't exactly fight tooth and nail to keep him, he left for free a year ago, we'd now pay 6million to get him back (aren't people tired of us being a ****ing transfer market joke?), he's had half a decent season in a lower league, he didn't make the grade at our club once before despite what anybody says (and yes, I watched him play), he's young and inexperienced which we already have way too much of and we really don't need anymore players like that. We also have absolutely no clue if he could make the big step up to the premier league, but yeah, sure, he sounds like exactly what we need right now.

Edit - If we signed him for say 3-4 million and brought in some experienced quality then I wouldn't so much (still annoyed at our joke of a club for letting him go for free and then paying anything to get him back a season later), but if we just end up spending 6 million on Ince alone I will be pissed.