Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

the whole midfield were poor today. allen, gerrard, sahin and shelvey offered very little overall, though i do agree bout shelvey, at least he gets into advanced positions, just today he was shocking when he got there.

we need 2 or 3 players with a touch of class to improve and we're also missing experienced players with that extra bit of nous the youngsters havent got yet.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the way opposition players keep popping up in that hole in front of our back four and I'm just sat there screaming LUCAAAAAAAASSSS. Also our full backs are getting not much help without him. Wisdom raped by Miralles (sp?) last week, Enrique for the goal this week. Lucas always, always gallops over to help out and cuts the option for the winger to cut inside.

Sterling actually is working a bit harder each game going backwards I think, but it is not in Suso's game at all. I don't think he even really likes playing out there.

Can't wait until Gerrard retires, not liking how Rodgers seems to be quite ruthless with players who are underperforming yet has nothing but positives for SG. He was shockingly bad today, and has been very poor all season.

Edit - shockingly bad is an exaggeration, but he once again offered nothing bar one great pass that sent sterling away down the right.

Just doesn't have the skill set to play where he is.

Gerrard is *****.

Fixed it for you. 4-5 years ago I wouldnt have dreamt of dropping him. Now I would in a heartbeat. So many times he goes for the 'Hollywood' ball when he can just retain possession.

Fixed it for you. 4-5 years ago I wouldnt have dreamt of dropping him. Now I would in a heartbeat. So many times he goes for the 'Hollywood' ball when he can just retain possession.
He attempted 9 long balls today with 8 of them coming off.

Thats not the biggest thing missing in his game anymore. Its his power and energy. We miss it badly. Just play him on the right in some sort of Dirk type defensive forward

He attempted 9 long balls today with 8 of them coming off.

Thats not the biggest thing missing in his game anymore. Its his power and energy. We miss it badly. Just play him on the right in some sort of Dirk type defensive forward

I'd like to see Gerrard tested as false 9, need him closer to goal in order to get more out of his end product (which is still pretty decent I would assume, he just simply dont have the energy to provide it by making runs from the midfield anymore) and its the only role in this system Rodgers try to play I could see him being able to pull off

Amazing the difference in performance once we got players up the pitch to play along side Luis.Add in a natural goal poacher/scorer and the goals will come.

I thought we bossed that game and it was refreshing to see us start the way we did, just such a pity we don't do what the likes of Chelsea and Utd do when they are on top and that is score. As for Jonjo, he should be starting more often than not tbh. May have missed a sitter but I literally can't think of anyone else who would have got into that position, everyone seems afraid to run into the box. Sterling needs to take his chances also.

Thank god that Colo just caught Luis or else that's a real nasty knee injury or a leg break. Shocking attempt at a tackle and couldn't believe Pardew seemed miffed about it when the FT whistle went. Think he accepted it in the interview though? Such a shame to concede just before half time but you could sense it happening and atm, I always think we will concede once the opponents are near our box. Not looking forward to the likes of Hazard running at Wisdom next week tbh.

Should have brought Assaidi on instead of Downing as well.

From this angle it looks worse - its like he doesn't give a **** about the ball.

1352051200860.gif

Pardew can **** right off, he's right up there with that other **** Tony Pulis when it comes to be a complete and utter hypocrites. It seems that if you are playing against Liverpool then you can pretty much justify anything you want by simply talking about Suarez. The ****ing British press are appalling, i'm so ****ing fed up of hearing people talk about diving/handshakes then simply ignore dangerous fouls like the one above.

It really would. In reality we will probably not get either of them. But the frustration of watching us waste chance after chance could be ended if we signed Huntelaar.

Speaking of missed chances, I thought Sterling yesterday showed how far he is from the finished article. I'm not having a go at the kid but he made a few bad decisions yesterday. It's a shame we rely on him so much, hopefully come January if/when we get a few more players in we can nuture him a bit more. I'd hate to see a talent like his ruined.

Amazing non penalty call on Suarez again....

but oh my god.. what A GOAL

You really think that was a penalty :D

Pardew can **** right off, he's right up there with that other **** Tony Pulis when it comes to be a complete and utter hypocrites. It seems that if you are playing against Liverpool then you can pretty much justify anything you want by simply talking about Suarez. The ****ing British press are appalling, i'm so ****ing fed up of hearing people talk about diving/handshakes then simply ignore dangerous fouls like the one above.

Pardew accepted that it was a clear red card. He only went to the ref after the match so that the ref could give him the reason before he saw any replays. Obviously Pardew had not seen it properly at the time but after seeing the replay himself he said it was a red. At least Colo didn't go down crying and pretending to be injured himself after the bad tackle which is exactly what Suarez does when he goes out to injure someone eh...

Speaking of missed chances, I thought Sterling yesterday showed how far he is from the finished article. I'm not having a go at the kid but he made a few bad decisions yesterday. It's a shame we rely on him so much, hopefully come January if/when we get a few more players in we can nuture him a bit more. I'd hate to see a talent like his ruined.

Agree with Sterling, was saying to my mate on the way home from the match yesterday Suso and Sterling should be luxuries that we can bring on when we're already winning or need to rest first teamers. We shouldn't be relying on them to make up 2/3rds of our front three.

i don't even know what event Vampook is refereing to, can't remember any pen call.

and yeah tbf i didn't see it first time either, just thought he'd ran into Suarez and was a foul, so was pretty amazed when the red card came out until I saw the reply.

The one where Colocinni clips him in the box in the 1st half

Tony Pulis gets a right slating in World Soccer this month. Good to know that some journalists who actually know the game can see through his ********. Just a shame that WS probably only gets about 1% of the readership of the tabloids.

Aaaaaanyway, I've calmed myself since yesterday's epic encounter. Still not with people giving Gerrard so much stick. It's obvious he's not the player he was but the stats prove that he's still having some impact. And if I see anyone else come out with

So many times he goes for the 'Hollywood' ball when he can just retain possession.
I might just murder someone. Have a thought of your own instead of regurgitating some hackneyed old cliche ffs.

Other than that, a proven striker is obviously the priority for the january window. We need to give the kids a rest now too, Wisdom, Suso and Sterling have done well but they'll be in danger of losing their confidence if they carry on playing games without a winning scoreline at the end of it. Obv Lucas will solve some of that when he's back, need to get Johnson back in the fold too. And someone needs to tell Brad Jones how to kick. That is all.

Been thinking that the kids need a rest for a few weeks now but do we really give downing an extended run in the team? tbf to him since the kick up the backside he's played like a player wanting to prove himself and has been alright the last few games. that turn and cross for shelvey was excellent yesterday and it was plum on shelveys head.

As for gerrard ive been wondering if, because of his age, its just taking him longer than it used to to get into the swing of a new season and he needs the extra few games than others to get properly match fit. next ten games will tell us such. i do think his legs are going though and thats probably why he wont ever play on the right or behind the front man again because he wont be able to last the pace for long enough.

Yeah with Gerrard we might be better off giving him an explosive 30 minutes where he can run around as much as he wants without having to pace himself so much. It's gonna be hard to deliberately slow down your game and still produce moments of dynamism. I'd just start putting him in on 60-65 minutes and giving him a free role behind the striker.

This'll never happen ofc,

We don't have a good enough replacement to drop Gerrard from the starting 11. Either in terms of leadership or quality.

When our squad is full of kids as it is, taking out our most experienced and inspirational (sorry but he still is) player, is not a sensible move.

However much we wish he was as good as he was, he's still better than what else we have.

i think right wing is the thing that needs to happen but never will. Allen and Shelvey are musts for me atm, which means those two + either Gerrard or Sahin in the middle. With Suso not being a proper right winger and a bit light weight, and Sahin playing so well generally, makes sense to just stick Gerrard out there and let him whip in those early crosses he is so good at, let Johnson/Wisdom overlap without losing defensive cover, and let him make runs at the box when he is feeling up for it

i think putting him on the right and shelvey in the middle would add loads more to our attack and is probably the best option all things being equal. gerrard is still first class further forward and will make things happen but rodgers said this on being liverpool and that was in august so you have to think he's seen something thats changed his mind or like cp said, he thinks he's needed more in CM atm.

We probably get better results with Gerrard out wide and Suso in the middle, but only if Suso is the attacking option, and if we move Gerrard wide then really Shelvey should being playing that position anyway.

That was a long winded way of saying, drop Suso, push Gerard right, play Shelvey as AMC.

Suso is a waste out there, he really needs to be coming on late in games at AMC, or false striker.

The other options is to switch Suarez to wide forward, where he will do the attacking from wide stuff that Suso and Sterling don't, and play Gerard as false striker, where he can just wonder about the front line and interchange with Suarez etc.

I have to say that our final 3rd play does like some fluidity more often then not, it works in fits and starts.

I don't think its so much striker striker striker will solve the problems so in that if who ever plays wide chips in with goals as well as midfield then we would be fine. Have always liked gerrard playing wide right.

Someone like Hopper will only come in if Rodgers is happy to play Suarez as one of the wide forwards. I'm not sure Hopper could play in the wide forward positions and score the goals he does for Celtic. I'm not even convinced Huntelaar could play as wide forward.

Certainly Walcott could do it, and I'd not be surprised to see him join in January.

i think right wing is the thing that needs to happen but never will. Allen and Shelvey are musts for me atm, which means those two + either Gerrard or Sahin in the middle. With Suso not being a proper right winger and a bit light weight, and Sahin playing so well generally, makes sense to just stick Gerrard out there and let him whip in those early crosses he is so good at, let Johnson/Wisdom overlap without losing defensive cover, and let him make runs at the box when he is feeling up for it

We would need a tall striker to put away these early crosses.

Archived