Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

Was watching the playoff game last night and Keane is the MLS version of Luis. Some of the stuff he done was crazy good but only got away with it as it was at a lower level.

Ahh got posted in the MLS thread, Saw it on an American Soccer forum, still funny we paid 20 million for him and 4 years later he's asking for Russell Brands Autograph it seems.

I like how they report on Beckham and Brand and include Keane in the 'unidentified LA Galaxy fans' bracket. :D

A quite deliberate slight on Keane's fame, i reckon.

Jones, Wisdom, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Sahin, Gerrard, Allen, Suso, Sterling, Suarez.

Gulacsi, Henderson, Assaidi, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Coates.

I guess since we had a w red cards for defenders this season Rodgers is maybe a bit paranoid. You'd think one would suffice, though.

Only other alternative is Robinson really though. Carragher is probably never going to be left out of the XI+Subs until he retires and if Coates wasn't there everybody is usually like "Why no Coates?"

probably because you dont have anyone else to put on the bench after that car crash of a summer window

of course we have other players, having Yesil, Morgan, Robinson or Sinclair on there would make more sense.

of course we have other players, having Yesil, Morgan, Robinson or Sinclair on there would make more sense.

Wouldn't trust only having 1 defender on the bench though.

Lets take Gerrard off, he's so bad.

What we should do is bring on Assaidi for Gerrard and switch to a central midfield 1 - 2 as Rodgers likes to put it. Allen and Sahin sat in front of the defence, Suso central and in a more advanced role. Won't happen though.

we really don't know how to do anything in the box do we? no support there whatsoever, there have been times when we've had the ball long enough that there should be 4 or 5 players in and around the box but there is just one and maybe Suso or Sahin wondering if they should make a run

Standard liverpool game for the last couple of seasons, control some promise but no penetration and concede from the only shot on target.

i'd get Shelvey on myself, will get forward plenty.

Didn't even consider Shelvey actually :D wp.

Can't say I'm shocked. Same old, same old.
are you starting to see the point I was trying to make at the start of the season? there's no way that Rodgers can improve on last season with a squad that's worse and have less options in it, and yet still there will be expectations on him to do just that

and amusingly some ppl are already calling for Rodgers head in this thread :lol:

Some people? Like who?
post #7748 in particular, and to an extent a whole bunch of posts from ppl wishing for Rafa or Kenny to return on the last few pages

The game has been a bit same old and boring, " As Suarez Scores ;) ".. We just need more fire power, sign Walcott and bring Carroll back in Jan..

@Falahk

That's one person who said that he has a season before he calls for his head, and as for the rest, let's be honest, you're talking utter nonsense. I can't even be bothered to go into why.

Goooal! Suarez!! Think we can win? Or will our diabolical defending cost us yet again?

Why is it that we can't keep the ball all of a sudden? Seems to happen when ever we score.

Disappointing but easy to call.

Stunning goal from Suarez. Absolutely sensational. Gerrard was **** poor.

Disappointing but easy to call.

Stunning goal from Suarez. Absolutely sensational. Gerrard was **** poor.

I wouldn't say he was **** poor, he did look knackered though.

As I said in the match thread, 21 attempts on goal, 13 on target and only one goal is not acceptable. Also, Enrique can **** off. I know it was a great ball for the goal, but defensively he was woeful. AFFG i think.

Does anyone think the 4-3-3 is wrong for us? We've got the players to use 4-2-3-1 again, and Suarez would benefit from not being as isolated up front.

yeah, Shelvey should be permanently playing off Suarez until the transfer window

despite him not being good in front of goal today, i have a lot of time shelvey

Shelvey is the only midfielder who can be relied upon to get into the box at every opportunity. He missed a couple of bad ones but at least he was in the right place.

I think we would benifit from signing Walcott and bring Carroll back so we can play a 4-2-2-2 or call it a 4-4-2, Sterling down one flank with Suarez down the other, put Carroll up front with Walcott.. Play who ever you want in the CM 2 places. i'm sure we would score far more using that system, we can still play passing football that Brendon wants..

When Lucas is back we can push Gerrard and Allen further forward so no thanks on Shelvey playing too often. Weird footballer, still haven't worked him out.

It's sad watching Gerrard's decline as a footballer, he really looks average at the moment.

Shelvey is the only midfielder who can be relied upon to get into the box at every opportunity. He missed a couple of bad ones but at least he was in the right place.
yes, being in the right place is more important since more chances and more goals will be created that way, then if nobody make those runs
@Falahk

That's one person who said that he has a season before he calls for his head, and as for the rest, let's be honest, you're talking utter nonsense. I can't even be bothered to go into why.

If Im talking nonsense then you'd better prove me wrong

that one person still said it, if things dont improve fast enough he will call for heads, and in due time others will follow if things do not improve, thats how football fans function, and also how FSG will look at things

and that is exactly why I dont think brendan will last past the next summer, nobody in charge will have the guts to give him the time he needs and possibly also deserves

Yeah Enrique is just awful. What do we do to these players when they sign for us?

When Lucas is back we can push Gerrard and Allen further forward so no thanks on Shelvey playing too often. Weird footballer, still haven't worked him out.

I love this...

It's sad watching Gerrard's decline as a footballer, he really looks average at the moment.
he is not being used in a role he is capable of playing, and geting asked to do stuff he is not well suited for.......no suprise there

its kind of like asking Jose Enrique to play a short passing game and then expect him to be good at maintaining possession while he have the ball at his feet

If Im talking nonsense then you'd better prove me wrong

that one person still said it, if things dont improve fast enough he will call for heads, and in due time others will follow if things do not improve, thats how football fans function, and also how FSG will look at things

and that is exactly why I dont think brendan will last past the next summer, nobody in charge will have the guts to give him the time he needs and possibly also deserves

You're the one that was suggesting a fair few people here want BR out, and pointing to one person that said "if things don't improve by the end of the season, then heads should rol", and then saying that 'a whole bunch of people' wanted Rafa back, is somehow backing up your claim is just daft.

I don't think it's me here that needs to provide any proof of anything, as I'm not making any sweeping statements.

People that want BR out are a small minority, in here at least.

Thought it was a tough game and Newcastle were set up well, both in defence and attack and have a great team ethic. We certainly should have no expectations that we should roll them over when their starting 11 is better than ours.

We looked good in places, I don't think there's much more we can get out of the current squad and the current time, the youngsters will improve over time, Lucas coming back will be like a new signing and over the next couple of transfer window I expect a lot of changes to the rest of the squad.

At least we're a more entertaining watch than in some previous years, even if the end result isn't always what we would like.

The way we want to play I think we have 5 footballers who we are going to miss because they really drive the team in terms of keeping possession, playing out from the back patiently, playing smart football, all the stuff Rodgers wants: Reina, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Lucas. Then we have Gerrard and Suarez on the attacking end who might not 100% fit in that bracket but still have those moments in them which win games. So 7 core footballers who are pretty vital.

I think we can deal with 1, maybe 2 of those footballers being out at any one time but like today and the derby when we have 3 out it really does feel like an uphill battle for Rodgers to get the team playing how he wants. He obviously realised that at half time in the derby and set us out to be more closed and solid in the 2nd half and today I thought we abandoned his system a little bit as well to play more direct. A lot of balls over the top for Suarez and pinged into his feet for him to try turn.

Obviously we're going to have to deal with injuries, every team does, but at the moment a high percentage of our players out are in that core 7. As we get towards the end of the month we'll have Reina, Johnson, Lucas back. Until then, I'm not really enjoying watching us play. The midfield doesn't feel right at all. Big gaps.