Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

91% - Joe Allen attempted 113 passes today, out of those 103 found a teammate. Dictating.

These stats are worthless when all he plays are 5 yard balls back to the defence. Of the 10 passes he misplaced most of them were absolutely woeful longer balls.

He had by far his worst game for us so far today. Not having a go as he's been pretty great since he signed, just wasn't today.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way (and not just rubbing it in here) - you lads could have done a lot worse than signing Stephen Fletcher - that kind of player was exactly what you missed today. Shelvey and Allen were very tidy. Suarez needs to play behind a real striker for you IMO.

You mean we need Andy Carroll?

Bossed the game today but yet again we fail to take our chances. We must get some genuine quality in attacking areas when the Janaury window opens.

Sterling just gets better, and better, and better - we have an absolute gem of a player there.

Suarez is averaging a goal every other game, that's pretty good as far as I'm concerned, so I don't really think he deserves much flak for the chances he fluffs compared to everyone else on the team who isn't scoring.

Would be nice to have at least one central midfielder who knows how to find the back of the net.

Also have to laugh that there's moaning about Allen's passing being backwards all the time, and moaning about Gerrard's hollywood balls.

Fans never happy :D

Think some people have played a little too much Fifa/PES and need to sort out their expectations regarding our pass completion, ball retention and chance creation.

He was particularly poor tonight. To say we had the best of the first half is absolutely shambolic. He blatantly saw we won the first half 1-0, then saw that you were all over us second half and therefore assumed we had done well in the first.

And his "analysis" of Joe Allen only playing easy passes. Would love to see him do that for a Barcelona match. Shows how you can form any argument from any piece of play. Ironically the 2 or 3 passes they showed of Gerrard's going forward were his only decent ones all game.

The amount of nonsense they get away with spouting is crazy.

You're part of the reason they get away with it by tuning in every week, if people stopped watching because of the guff the pundits spouted it would change sharpish. Still, BBC is not quite as bad as ITV. Yet.

If I stopped watching, I wouldn't be able to see the football though.. I'd rather watch it with bad pundits.

Bad game by Allen today... but that's because he's already set such high standards

I thought he along with Johnson and sterling played really well. I thought we played well today apart from the poor defending for their goal.

Was Allen's worst game for us but he's been man of the match in every other game he's played this season. I don't think everyone's really expecting him to give us 8 or 9 out of 10 every week at 22 years old.

Passing stats in spoiler:

A23mxFbCMAA8yAq.jpg:large

I'm disappointed we didn't get the 3. Personally I would've taken Shelvey off for Sahin and pushed Gerrard forward early in the 2nd. Was Enrique really injured?

RESULTS COMPARISON CHART 2012/13

Southampton = Bolton
Reading = Blackburn
West Ham = Wolves

Last season	This season 	Pts	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18/08/2012 West Brom v Liverpool        W 0-2           L 3-0 		-3	
26/08/2012 Liverpool v Man City         D 1-1           D 2-2 		-3	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/09/2012 Liverpool v Arsenal          L 1-2           L 0-2           -3
15/09/2012 Sunderland v Liverpool       L 1-0           D 1-1           -2
23/09/2012 Liverpool v Man Utd          D 1-1             
29/09/2012 Norwich v Liverpool          W 0-3             
06/10/2012 Liverpool v Stoke            D 0-0             
20/10/2012 Liverpool v Reading          D 1-1             
27/10/2012 Everton v Liverpool          W 0-2             
04/11/2012 Liverpool v Newcastle        W 3-1             
11/11/2012 Chelsea v Liverpool          W 1-2             
17/11/2012 Liverpool v Wigan            L 1-2             
24/11/2012 Swansea v Liverpool          L 0-1             
28/11/2012 Tottenham v Liverpool        L 4-0             
01/12/2012 Liverpool v Southampton      W 3-1             
08/12/2012 West Ham v Liverpool        	W 0-3             
15/12/2012 Liverpool v Aston Villa     	D 1-1             
22/12/2012 Liverpool v Fulham           L 0-1             
26/12/2012 Stoke v Liverpool            L 1-0             
29/12/2012 QPR v Liverpool             	L 3-2             
01/01/2013 Liverpool v Sunderland       D 1-1             
12/01/2013 Man Utd v Liverpool          L 2-1             
19/01/2013 Liverpool v Norwich          D 1-1             
30/01/2013 Arsenal v Liverpool          W 0-2             
02/02/2013 Man City v Liverpool         L 3-0             
09/02/2013 Liverpool v West Brom        L 0-1             
23/02/2013 Liverpool v Swansea         	D 0-0             
02/03/2013 Wigan v Liverpool           	D 0-0             
09/03/2013 Liverpool v Tottenham        D 0-0             
16/03/2013 Southampton v Liverpool      L 3-1             
30/03/2013 Aston Villa v Liverpool      W 0-2             
06/04/2013 Liverpool v West Ham        	W 2-1             
13/04/2013 Reading v Liverpool          W 2-3             
20/04/2013 Liverpool v Chelsea          W 4-1             
27/04/2013 Newcastle v Liverpool        L 1-2             
04/05/2013 Liverpool v Everton          W 3-0             
12/05/2013 Fulham v Liverpool           L 1-0             
19/05/2013 Liverpool v QPR              W 1-0             

A positive result!

Was Allen's worst game for us but he's been man of the match in every other game he's played this season. I don't think everyone's really expecting him to give us 8 or 9 out of 10 every week at 22 years old.

Passing stats in spoiler:

A23mxFbCMAA8yAq.jpg:large

I'm disappointed we didn't get the 3. Personally I would've taken Shelvey off for Sahin and pushed Gerrard forward early in the 2nd. Was Enrique really injured?

Where do you get those stats from?

I think Rodgers will learn more about his players, tactics and style of play needed to win games the more Liverpool play.. It's a big job that will take awhile to turn thing's around..

Just wondering after watching yesturdays games, we **** out big style in the transfer window. Considering we need a couple senior players and didn't have vast amounts of money to spend would Berbatov @ around 7-mill, Buttner around 3-mill, Johnson for around 7-mill, Even Fletcher, he has scored 3 goals in 2 games for Sunderland, surly if he was playing for Liverpool he would be the prems top scorer now with the amount of chances we create..

Allen was bought to do that job and he does insanely well. One of the few who has performed every match.

He strikes me as a player who you only notice when he does makes an error - the only thing I can remember about him yesterday was when he hit a crossfield pass out of play :o - the things he does well tend to go under the radar. He quietly gets on with his work at a consistently high standard and when the playing squad improves he'll be the one that brings the best out of the rest of the team.

Allen is quality every time I watch Liverpool play Allen is looking for a forward pass, seems to have ages on a ball no matter how many players are around him and once he makes a pass he seems to always find space and is always demanding the ball.

Next weekend is going to be horrific.

It wont. The players will raise their game to unbelievable levels as they always do against United, much to my frustration as to why they cant do it every week. We will probably get a draw.

The Majority of the Liverpool best 11 where at the club when Benitez was in charge.

Take Benitez's last 2 season's How well do you rate Benitez'z performance??

Take Hodgson, How do you rate his spell in charge? all be it short term!

Mr Dalglish, how do you rate his time at Liverpool?

How do you currently rate Rodgers? and what do you think he can achieve?

Fact is Carragher is past his best, Gerrard is past his best and cant carry the team any more, I actually think Allen's game would improve if Gerrard wasnt on the pitch, he always trys to give the ball to Gerrard so he can play a forward pass, The Liverpool players should grow some balls and take responsibility and stop looking to Gerrad to dominate the game!!...

Point i am making, for what reason has Liverpool finished 6th 7th and 8th in recent years, had 3 different managers and now on the fourth? the squad is practically the same! maybe they just aint good enough or as good as people think! it's the same as all these people that keep bigging England up.

So what do we really need.? super tactical managers.? manager motivator's? What would Benitez do back at Liverpool now? or Mourinho? i think alot of the blame still lands at the door step of the yank cow boys that brought this club to it's kness with all there false promises..

The season Liverpool finished 2nd, the Yanks did not back Benitez that summer and he couldn't bring the players in he wanted, since then it's been a domino effect.. Hodgson is a good manager, Dalglish was a good manager but very bad at press confrences, Rodgers can be a very good manager providing this job doesnt leave him with egg on his face..

Why is it the same bunch of players juat aint cutting the mustard and delievering what the club needs.?

I think we have a solid base to work from, but i just dont think we have the flair players you need in the premiership to score and ultimately win..

Does anyone think this current squad is really good enough to challenge for 4th?

like ive been saying since torres left, we've always had a prolific scorer over the years and now we dont have one we're suffering. a falcao type striker would be worth his weight in gold and are very hard to come by, but not impossible.

we still have the ability to dominate games but it seems we are punished for every little mistake while we huff and puff for 90 mins.

Does anyone think this current squad is really good enough to challenge for 4th?

No. Hence your whole post was a waste of time. Let's take some little steps 1st and rebuild properly, rather than tip money into a big pit like last year (and go backwards anyway)

Not many in here thought that 4th has ever been possible. Even more so now, after a few games.

Spurs bench today shows how little depth we have in our squad and the task we have getting near 4th.

Rodgers finding out who can play the type of football he wants to play.

Cant get rid of the players who dont fit into his philosophy overnight. Some maybe able to adapt to how he wants to play, most will not.

Its gonna be a long season ahead.

Archived