Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

He was only playing wide because he basically failed as a striker for us. Sure he had that patch where he did well at the end of the 10/11 season but I could find an equal period of time where he did nothing but stink up the place. Obviously it'd be better for us to have him around as a backup than nobody but we made the right choice moving him on considering his age, wages and performances last season.

Yeah it made sense for him to go, both for him and for us, but he's been one of my favourite players for the last 5 years. The amount of times he put in a performance when needed and got important goals was staggering.

I think Kelly, barring one or two quality balls into the box, has had a poor start to the season. I'm not sure he is capable of playing this brand of football yet; his passing ability looks shocking.

I think Kelly, barring one or two quality balls into the box, has had a poor start to the season. I'm not sure he is capable of playing this brand of football yet; his passing ability looks shocking.

This is the craziest statement I've heard in quite some time.

He's done very well this season, in fact, better than most of our senior players. He's also the best talent to come through our ranks in a very long time. It's criminal how under rated he is by some fans.

Yeah Mart, just delete your post to save embarrassment :).

Well I'm not writing him off or anything, it's only game 3 :D

I hold my hand up and say I've only seen the city game live but he was at fault for one of their goals and just seemed to keep missing the target with his passes when under any pressure, a pattern which I've seen continually on highlights (doesn't say a great deal I know)

I can see his potential but I expect him to be frustrating this year.

On that note I'll say no more to save any further embarrassment :D

Edit - I think what I'm trying to say is that he still looks very raw for 22

Reina was at fault for that goal against City, not Kelly.

For all Kuyt's frustrations he would pop up with stuff like this

[video=youtube;Dp51Xr-8kbM]

and this

[video=youtube;2Ft9sIEBMjw]

Reina was at fault for that goal against City, not Kelly.

Both were. Kelly does have the touch of a rapist at the best of times. Other than that he's good tbf. Would still rather Enrique and Johnson at full back though.

He mis-controlled it straight into yaya's path 6 yards out? He was as much at fault IMO.

Sorry but if my goalkeeper came flying out of his goal to punch the ball and completely missed it, 3-4 yards away from me then I wouldnt have expected it to be honest.

Both were. Kelly does have the touch of a rapist at the best of times. Other than that he's good tbf. Would still rather Enrique and Johnson at full back though.

Surely the touch of a rapist would be good then? They are quite nifty with their hands arent they?

Surely the touch of a rapist would be good then? They are quite nifty with their hands arent they?

You've totally misread that and gone to a very bad place :D

You've totally misread that and gone to a very bad place :D

Probably :D

Nah, I would expect a better defender to be able to adjust in that situation, at least so he didn't put it on a plate for toure.

Im not suggesting he should have trapped it any dribbled out of defence, but he's gotta deal with it better than how he did. With experience he probably would have tbf.

And during that time will probably still score more goals than Borini.

As long as we start picking up points I couldnt care less :)

Oh god, not a video showcasing the talents of a player :(

Ha ha ha ha ha love that :D....although he does have a couple of FA Cup goals to his name.

I'm quite happy with Johnson LB and Kelly RB.

And Downing as super-fullback sub.

Said it before and will say it again, playing Johnson on the left with Raheem Sterling in front of him is not good, both like to cut in and the pitch narrows as a result. Plus Johnson is better going forward than Kelly, so you weaken the team on both sides rather than just one by playing Kelly on the right and Johnson on the left.

Kelly on the right and Johnson on the left offers the team more in terms of attacking than the other way round. Though the point about Johnson+Sterling I agree with

Kelly on the right and Johnson on the left offers the team more in terms of attacking than the other way round.

is tbdg not comparing to enrique and johnson?

best thing about Kyte and why he was used so much down the right apart from the fact we didn't have anyone better was his high work rate for the full 90 minutes.. very reliable you always knew what you was gonna get with him..

[video=youtube;PVVQ9FgP2WI]

Keep the faith lah

send this to Rodgers with a please play me threw the centre plea ;)

best thing about Kyte and why he was used so much down the right apart from the fact we didn't have anyone better was his high work rate for the full 90 minutes.. very reliable you always knew what you was gonna get with him..

Im sorry, who?

Loved Dirk Kuyt - always remember Daaaaave saying in here that we would love him if we signed him and you know what, he wasn't wrong. We really do miss players with mental strength and willingness to fight like he had, we just look so wet and limp now.

I think that although useful he did tail off a little in the last year but prior to that felt he was under appreciated a bit by some

is tbdg not comparing to enrique and johnson?

I just think that if you switch Johnson to right back it unbalances the team and even though individually Kelly is a better full back than Downing, I would play Downing left back to maintain the shape of the team and thus keep Johnson at right back. That way you have weakened just one side of the team, by losing Enrique and playing Johnson as a left back you have weakened both flanks of the team.

I think that if you play Johnson at left back then you need a left footer ahead of him to maintain the width of the team.

That's not a real game though and I read the reports that Rogers said he'd consider him but only as left back, which is sort of like 'please go away' but you can't actually want him there, surely

You would seriously let Downing anywhere near the back 4??

As much as I dont trust Enrique anymore, yes!!

It's like having a stiker that can't score that gets punted out wide, here's a winger that's not all that chucked back to full back

It's like having a stiker that can't score that gets punted out wide, here's a winger that's not all that chucked back to full back

An attacking full-back he would, especially with Lucas in the team who gets everyone out of trouble anyway, and Sterling infront who would be cutting inside.

Downing is great :mad:

Did you not see his highlight reel earlier?!

As a Fenerbahce fan, i thank you for Kuyt :D

At the moment, he's the #1 foreign player in Turkey due to his goals and his never ending energy on the field despite his age.

And out of the 6 goals he scored, 3 were against European sides, 2 against Vaslui and 1 against Spartak Moskow

Downing is great :mad:

Did you not see his highlight reel earlier?!

Haha, when I saw the title of it I kind of suspected it may be like that. I want him to be good, I really do but ...

Jesus the last thing this club needs is another Carragher clone. Horribly overrated player who had maybe 2-3 decent seasons, limited to no technical ability, and far greater influence than he should have ever wielded.

Jesus the last thing this club needs is another Carragher clone. Horribly overrated player who had maybe 2-3 decent seasons, limited to no technical ability, and far greater influence than he should have ever wielded.

:D:D:D:D

It's impressive how you manage to be SO wrong all the time.

Accurate though. He was decent when moved under Rafa. Can't think of a single period other than that when I preferred him in the team over someone else instead.

it's when he moved to the center that he started to really perform (henry skinnings aside). his fullback years were nothing to write home about. and obviously the last 2 seasons.

it's when he moved to the center that he started to really perform (henry skinnings aside). his fullback years were nothing to write home about. and obviously the last 2 seasons.

Precisely.