Sports Interactive Community
bell

Liverpool Thread 2012/13

Think Rodgers has already demonstrated by leaving Carragher off the pitch he's prepared to make decisions that don't involve the power clique. Dropping Gerrard would be a big statement of intent though.

regardless of how much of a club legend he is, I don't think dropping any 33 yr old as captain is really that big a statement, though i get that many fans do.

I don't think you'll see Gerrard being dropped until he at least starts getting subbed off, that's when it begins.

Agree with whoever said earlier that he should be nowhere near the team for the cups, but he has to start in the league games imo. He's frustrating at the moment and out of form, but he still carries a goal scoring and opportunity creating threat that none of the other central midfielders do.

I'm far from his biggest fan anyway, and I said before this season started that I think he's a huge liability and needs to change his style of play to reflect his age and the new team ethos. But I think him being around is still a huge calming influence on the many young players already in the team.

What i suspect it is, is a 70%-80% fit Gerrard just doesn't cut it anymore. 5 years ago we would rush him back and he would still be the best player on the pitch, and then he would play 90 minutes of every game pretty much.

It's a fact of life as you get older recovery times get longer and niggles affect you more, we should be picking and choosing his games but you suspect the state of the squad and the position we've been in the last few years that we won't.

Not a chance Gerrard ever relinquishes the captaincy. Even when he's not a regular he'll be club captain until the day he retires. Thats how it should be too, and thats me saying this.

i disagree, the captain should most definitely be a regular afaic, someone who is always gonna play when fit and has the fitness levels to do so

Jamie Redknapp was our club captain for a couple of years when he barely got out of the treatment room.

Ledley King and Gary Neville both did pretty much the same for Spurs and United. Despite the fact they didn't play regularly they were still the most respected person in the dressing room and at the training ground. Gerrard will be aswell.

i suppose in some ways in doesnt really matter who the club captain is, but who the captain on the pitch is. im personally of the opinion that the club one should be a first name on the sheet, and after this season i'm not sure if Gerrard will be. maybe who becomes the vice captain is more important, giving that to Agger or Lucas would certainly make a lot of sense to me if Gerrard remains as captain, regardless of Carra's respect in the dressing room.

Razzler supports everyone, he likes his rambles in every club thread ;)

And he doesn't like Michael Carrick much!

It's more doesn't support anyone rather than supports everyone tbh :D

clearly given the ambassador role at the end of his playing days, we will go the club captain route withgerrard as he becomes more marginalised.

really might even be a worth try playing him right at the top. and then not having so much pressure placed on borini to settle in. i am not sure that the best way to manage the form issues is to immediately drop them (incl reina) as the first step to remedy the problem (though i assume br would have had a word with them about their form by now).

And this is where your idiotic point falls apart. There is no threat on that left side, and there's an ample amount of players down that side preventing any long ball Cazorla plays down into that channel from being reached by Podolski provided the ball is played early, as you claimed. Even Reina could have reached the ball before Podolski if Cazorla had picked up the ball and played down that side, given Podolski was coming from well inside his own half.

This arguing over semantics is a bit ******** though. Perhaps you just enjoy making stupid point-scoring posts over irrelevant subjects?

You clearly have no understanding of football, so lets just leave it. Talking about long balls and Reina getting there, wow, just utterly clueless.

Skrtel holding his position is correct and given where Cazorla picked up the ball there is no way that Skrtel should have been marking him.

Skrtel comes out it opens that whole side of the pitch and would also give Giroud far more space to make a run for cazorla. Skrtel was positioned correctly.

Imagine Skrtel is marking Cazorla tightly, Cazorla lays it off first time and spins in behind Skrtel. Or cazorla skips past him. Either way we are facing a 2 vs 1, not foresaking the point that by marking him in that zone of the pitch Skrtel would have been massively out of position.

I agree with you about Reina on the first goal but to blame Martin Skrtel is just plain wrong.

Henry's open letter kinda states no quick fix... does that mean no emergency loan deals :/

A Liverpool source told ESPN: "To be fair to Brendan he was asked at a press conference whether he would consider Michael Owen and he said he would consider everybody. He didn't slap it down. However, the next day, the media virtually suggested the club were signing Owen.

"Having given the issue some thought, for the moment, the club are not bringing anyone in. There is no one on the agenda although, of course, that could change, but there is nothing doing at the moment."

I'm sure we're all really gutted.

You clearly have no understanding of football, so lets just leave it.

Posting dumb **** like this is bemusing. You talk about Cazorla playing through balls into left channels, whilst ignoring that there's nobody to run onto them at the point he collected the ball.

Imagine Skrtel is marking Cazorla tightly, Cazorla lays it off first time and spins in behind Skrtel. Or cazorla skips past him. Either way we are facing a 2 vs 1, not foresaking the point that by marking him in that zone of the pitch Skrtel would have been massively out of position.

Neither of those are remotely the forgone conclusion you're claiming them to be. Stop trying to deal with 101 hypotheses that didn't take place, because they're pointless red herrings.

I didnt say he could play the ball into the left channel instantly, this is something that you have assumed and are now arguing against, archetypal strawman argument.

My point is that if you freeze the game at the point Cazorla got the ball there is no way on earth that Martin Skrtel should have been marking him, the reason he shouldnt have been marking him are precisely the hypothetical reasons that you are happy to dismiss. Precisely because it opens up that side of the pitch for a run by Podolski, or it means that Giroud can attack that space. By holding his position he gives the defence time to recover. Had Glen Johnson tracked back then it would have been ok.

The whole point of positioning in football is to prevent 'hypothetical' situations from occurring or going forward to turn hypothetical situations into reality.

Out of your depth here sonny.

I'd like to see BR move Gerrard into the front 3, maybe just for Europa games to start with to see how it goes. Considering our shortage up front it could be required to give Suarez the odd rest.

i would too but i dont think he's got the legs for it. he'd have to do a lot more running than he does currently and he'd be spent after about 20 minutes.

This might be a stupid question but why is Owen so hated by Liverpool fans?

it mostly stems from how he left. led the club on about signing a new contract and then bang one year left. moves to madrid in a move that sees us get 8m and antonio nunez. f**king antonio nunez.

didn't help that he then joins the mancs later on to basically warm the bench.

Fair enough, I can't say I ever remember Nunez! :D

Tells you all you need to know.

Fair enough, I can't say I ever remember Nunez! :D

Ha ha, i remember all the press talk at the time, something to do with Eto'o being co-owned by R. Madrid and that he might be the player in the player plus cash deal.

Boy did they ever get that story wrong :(

I can't say I ever remember Nunez! :D

Its probably for the best.

His only goal for the club if I remember correctly. We lost 3-2 to Chelsea AET having taken the lead inside the first minute I think through John Arne Riise.

He also choose to go to Newcastle over us. Money.

The Newcastle fans will always love Owen for taking their money and making tactful statements like " cant wait to get fit to play for England "

why do i seem to remember stories of us having contacted him when he went to the toon?

We wanted him, and he wanted to come to us, even Rafa wanted him, but we wouldn't offer what Madrid wanted which was more than double what we sold him to them for.

So we bought Crouchy for half the price instead.

2 - Arsenal have won as many Premier League games in 2012 at Anfield as Liverpool.

Impressive

I put Sky Italia on the level of Talksport.

Del Piero is one of my favourite players ever, but he's going to be 38 in a couple of months.

Still be amazing to see him in a Liverpool shirt though.

Oh dear Wayne, you've had a shocker there.

I dont think so to be fair. pretty accurate what i said when you look at thing's.. I wish some people would wake up and stop living in a fantasy world and look at the bigger picture...

Our team hasnt changed much since last season, the same problems are still there less 5 experianced players.. any one that think Rodgers is going to have Liverpool playing like Barca and winning game in a short space of time is wrong. it wont be long before people start slagging him off!!...

We are left with 2 senior strikers 1 of which couldn't hit a barn door last season, i havn't seen any improvment this year, even the likes of Fulham as a better set of strikers to choose from... wouldn't be suprised if we finish below 10th this season, thats not a dig at Rodgers just a reality i think may happen.. Not sure we have the players!! most of them havn't performed under the last 4 manager what makes anyone think we are worthy of a top 5 finish now..?