Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Borini will be the first signing according to various journo's on twitter. I think he looks a good prospect and is certainly more mobile and potent as a finisher than Carroll has shown so far.

i also heard he mentioned joe allen...

Rodgers has mentioned himself that there is a deal to say we cant talk to any Swansea players for a year.

Borini starting to look pretty much nailed on. I know nothing about him at all. Scored 9 in 24 at Roma last season which is not too shabby though. £8m is the reported fee.

Rodgers is saying all the right things at the moment, and still sticking with the line that he wants a good look at the squad in pre-season. I also read some of his comments as getting in some digs at Siggurdsson, basically saying that we won't pay over the odds for players, and that many players don't have 'the courage and the bravery' to buy into the Liverpool ethos.

I'm not all that worried about signings at the moment. We've still got a squad of some potential, let's see if Rodgers can get the best out of them.

Rodgers is saying all the right things at the moment, and still sticking with the line that he wants a good look at the squad in pre-season. I also read some of his comments as getting in some digs at Siggurdsson, basically saying that we won't pay over the odds for players, and that many players don't have 'the courage and the bravery' to buy into the Liverpool ethos.

I'm not all that worried about signings at the moment. We've still got a squad of some potential, let's see if Rodgers can get the best out of them.

if he's talking about sig then he should stfu :D

he's silly to not expect sug to want more money at Liverpool than what was agreed at Swansea. Courage and bravery/liverpool ethos. Manager spin BS :rolleyes:

Borini starting to look pretty much nailed on.

where? i thought it was after borini was mentioned by a reporter he poured water on all the players weve bin linked with. dont know much about him tbh but if hes a poacher type with good movement then i wont mind for £8m.

im holding out hope the 'exciting' player is jovetic though. he is quite classy.

where? i thought it was after borini was mentioned by a reporter he poured water on all the players weve bin linked with. dont know much about him tbh but if hes a poacher type with good movement then i wont mind for £8m.

im holding out hope the 'exciting' player is jovetic though. he is quite classy.

BBC website, twitter, the usual places.

What exactly are those 'Liverpool ethos' that players are afraid to buy into? Genuine question fwiw

He mentioned that the club is a way of life rather than somewhere you can turn up to train for 2 hours and then bugger off home.

I think a lot of Liverpool supporters expect newcomers to shoulder the burden of our history and buy into the prophecy that someday some great messiah will lead us back to glory. I think it's a hinderance that raises unfair expectations and actually limits the kind of players we can buy. If the next Messi/Cronaldo/Iniesta turns up at Liverpool but couldn't really give a toss about the City or the fans or the ethos, but is willing to give us 5 great seasons, are people gonna resent him? I reckon they would.

Is Borini this 'incredibly exciting' signing? Sorry, not incredibly excited about it, and no, I don't love him.

Clint ****ing Dempsey? So this is an FSG signing then, if it happens. Again, not incredibly excited, and no, I don't love him.

I can't be bothered to find the tweet again. If you think I could be bothered to make up something so trivial then fair enough...

I am sure there was such a tweet but whenever anyone says anything on Twitter it's treated with a lot more trust then if someone just made it up and tbh they're no far apart

Jovetic is more than quite classy.

Is Borini this 'incredibly exciting' signing? Sorry, not incredibly excited about it, and no, I don't love him.

Apparently it's not - read from a times journo it's supposed to be far more exciting than that.

Jen Chang re that Dempsey thing:

The Twitter images being circulated of the Clint Dempsey player profile on the LFC website are fake. Disregard them.

agger had a great season followed by a great euros so i'm not surprised a few clubs are interested now, we'd be able to demand quite a big price for him. hope to god he doesn't want to go and we don't want to sell though, he'll fit into rodgers type game perfectly, bringing the ball out from the back and building play from defence.

i like this new jen chang pr guy, just smacking down all the ******** rumours quickly and without fuss :thup:.
i agree, obviously being young he is well up to speed with all the modern media forms as opposed to the dinosaurs we had before.

I am sure there was such a tweet but whenever anyone says anything on Twitter it's treated with a lot more trust then if someone just made it up and tbh they're no far apart

That would be the case if I hadn't mentioned that is was one of the BBC guys, who are normally very reliable IMO.

It looks like it's Borini then. Could be a good signing but certainly not a deal that will excite the fans hugely. Maybe there is someone else on the cards.

I don't think anyone is really surprised that Rodgers doesn't think Carroll fits in to want he wants to build.

I don't mind the idea of loaning out Carroll. Ignoring the ridiculous transfer fee we paid for him, he's still quite young and (reportably) quite immature, a year in Milan certainly wouldn't slow his progression off and on the pitch (as long as plays remotely regularly). And if he's still a lump up front after that then we might still be able to get some money back for him.

If it means we're going to bring in a striker or two to play a more fluid brand of football, I'm happy for Carroll to go, either on loan or be sold.

At the worst it will free up £60k of wages for another player, and presumably a loan fee.

Rogers will be turning the little TV studio back into the bootroom at this rate :D Quite clearly fan with all these little homages and tweaks he is making around the place.

Andy Carroll loan move a possibility - Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says he would consider letting striker Andy Carroll go out on loan.

The 23-year-old England international has struggled to meet expectations since joining the club from Newcastle for a club record £35m in January 2011.

"It's something I would have to look at, I have to be honest," said Rodgers.

"Andy's always going to be linked with clubs, whether he was here or not. He knows exactly where he stands, but I have had no inquiries about him."

Carroll has been linked with a loan move to Italian side AC Milan, who were reportedly impressed by his displays at the recent European Championships, where he made three appearances for England and scored once, against Sweden.

Rodgers said: "There are many things to going on loan. Is it going to be beneficial for the club, that's the most important thing?

"Sometimes a player going out on loan - in general, not just Andy - can benefit the club in the long term.

It gets them game experience and they come back a better player, a more confident one. Certainly more so than if they've been sitting on the bench for the majority of the season.

"I'm not going to sit here and say I will never let anyone go on loan, then come in here in two weeks and a player's gone, and you're saying 'you said you wouldn't let them go'."

Carroll came into this summer's international tournament in Poland and Ukraine following arguably his best form in a Liverpool shirt, during which he scored the winner in the Premier League game against Blackburn and goals in the FA Cup semi-final and final.

Prior to that the striker had come under criticism for his performances in a Reds shirt, with him having scored just eight goals in 49 appearances since his high-profile move from Newcastle for a record fee for a British player.

Critics have also suggested that Carroll may struggle to fit into Rodgers' preferred 4-3-3 style of play, while the manager is also believed to be keen to sign forward Fabio Borini - with whom he has worked at both Chelsea and Swansea - from Italian side Roma.

"He's [Carroll] no different to any player we have here," added Rodgers. "They might have all the attributes but not the mentality to play.

"It's a wee bit unfair for Andy to get labelled any other way. He's a good kid, a good lad, so we will just see how the formation of the group shapes up over the next four or five weeks.

"My task is to build a group that can challenge. Hopefully when the bus leaves at the end of pre-season, it will have the people on it who I want."

not exactly a glowing endorsment by BR, would rather sell him than loan him if we are going to cut our losses.

I don't think anyone is really surprised that Rodgers doesn't think Carroll fits in to want he wants to build.

I don't mind the idea of loaning out Carroll. Ignoring the ridiculous transfer fee we paid for him, he's still quite young and (reportably) quite immature, a year in Milan certainly wouldn't slow his progression off and on the pitch (as long as plays remotely regularly). And if he's still a lump up front after that then we might still be able to get some money back for him.

If it means we're going to bring in a striker or two to play a more fluid brand of football, I'm happy for Carroll to go, either on loan or be sold.

Agree with this, especially if it means Carroll gets regular football and comes back a better player.

Option 2 is to let him rot on the bench/reserves, which isn't good for anyone.

Alternatively, he could be on the bench as part of a plan B route one option if plan A isn't working in some games.

Massively linked with Borini and Carroll leaving. Seeing it everywhere.

I wonder how he will get on at the prem after not getting the chances with Chelsea, I have always rated him but will block the progress of Sterling as I presume he will play Borini out wide.

not exactly a glowing endorsment by BR, would rather sell him than loan him if we are going to cut our losses.

I think it's extremely telling how BR feels about Carroll. You don't even need to read too much subtext in to it, when you look at how he has spoken about other players so far.

Jonjo Shelvey has today signed a new contract at Liverpool Football Club.

The 20-year-old put pen to paper on the long-term deal at Melwood on Tuesday morning to commit his future to the Reds.

Shelvey moved to Anfield from Charlton in May 2010 and has made 37 appearances for the first team.

The midfielder spent time on loan at Blackpool last season before returning to Liverpool to score two goals in 16 run outs, including a stunning long-range strike against Chelsea in the final home game of the campaign.

New deal for Jonjo

Why would he play Borini out wide? From what I've seen he's always played through the middle.
Young, reasonably quick, good in front of goal, has this habit of getting in good positions lots of times - spent most of last season playing wide in a 4-3-3 and did surprisingly well. Not sure about him as a player at the highest level - he got most of his goals last season in the space of about a month, and then after that didn't do much (picked up an injury in that time, but still had enough games).

Played wide last season.

I think it's extremely telling how BR feels about Carroll. You don't even need to read too much subtext in to it, when you look at how he has spoken about other players so far.

Yeah it’s difficult to put a positive spin on what he’s said there

Archived