Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why would drogba never come to us?

doubt we can afford £150k a week + on a 34 year old striker? hes on £200k a week in china he not going to take to much of a paycut. he will still have the pick of europes elite (real madrid being linked already), didn't he say as well he wouldn't play for another english club as well?

When does the loan market open, plenty of players who won't get a game at other clubs I'd imagine, Sturridge the main target probably.

By the way Dempsey is a whole 8 years older than Borini. a £5m difference for a player who has a long while until he reaches his peak nevermind 30's will probably turn-out to be a great deal. He's played 2 league games in a club after having to quickly re-adjust from Italian football :D Chill guys

im afraid that Borini is already very close to his peak, he could probably improve his consistancy and composure a bit, learn to time his runs better, and gel with his team mates, his workrate and attitude is also perfectly fine, but it would probably be absurd to expect him to become the next big thing

he will probably never learn how to dribble or do anything creative for one.....he could probably become a 15-ish goal striker/wide striker in a couple of sessions (in the league) if he play constantly, but is that really enough good enough? considering how little he contributes to build up play and on the ball all in all?

Allen isn't defensively strong enough to play that role. This is exactly the problem we had last season when Lucas was injured - with no adequate replacement Dalglish stuck Adam there, at which point his average season turned into a terrible one. Now Allen is a better player than Adam (I don't think anybody would dispute that), but his play will be stifled somewhat in that role, nor is it the best use of his ability. Against City he did fine until they changed formation slightly and were more attacking, at which point we started to get overrun and came under some pressure. Against a more attacking team and away from home I think he'd struggle a bit.
That is the kind of thinking that have sent english football about 2 decades back in time in terms of tactical philosophy, seeing that I'm talking about tactical philosophy here I would not expect you to understand what I'm going to mention here, but I will make a try anyway.

the basic theory to get to grips with is that you will lose the ball less often, if your delivery out of the back is good and secure enough, this will in turn reduce the need for your team to tackle and win the ball back, and it will let you employ a higher number creative players on the pitch

the reasons Adam could not pull it of was more or less (and I presume the same can be said for Spearing):

1) he cant protect the ball and move it away fast enough when put under pressure (the amount of times he got caught in possession was mind boggeling)

2) he cant deliver the ball accurately on a regular basis, he is very fund of trying hollywood kind of passes when it did not suit the situation

so as you can see, Adam was probably just as much or possibly even more of a defensive problem when he had the ball at his feet

Nicholas a bit too lazy, no?

Could we afford not to take the risk in signing Anelka, IF he wanted to come of course?

The major factor here is would Drogba or Anelka sign a one year deal? Doubt that very much.

One of the major reasons they went to China in the 1st place was that no one would give them longer contracts.

Borini can't be anywhere near his peak, he's only 21 ffs.
keep in mind that I'm basing that assumption on watching all matches he played for Roma, so its not like I'm pinching stuff out of thin air

he is not a bad player, he have a few good things going for him (and its reasonable to assume he will improve the things he do well with time), but he is so limited technicaly that he does not have an endless bucket of potential to pick out of and grow into

all im saying is that I dont think Borini can become a top player in the epl or massivly improve on his current talent, exactly how is that an absurd claim?

Considering Rodgers really sparked Borini's rise when he went to Swansea on loan, as well as knowing him from his time at Chelsea, as well as seeing most his games at the club so far, and having opinions from people here who support Swansea I'd say he's got a fair bit to go until his best. Think he'll hit some kind of form soon as he gets re-accustomed to the environment(league etc).

He might not have endless potential, but he might just get better at Football. Technical players tend to peak later in their career usually 26+

Now if you said Walcott would not get any better I'd be inclined to agree. Players with physical skills such a speed tend to peak earlier in their careers.

all im saying is that I dont think Borini can become a top player in the epl or massivly improve on his current talent, exactly how is that an absurd claim?

Wasnt Henry at Monaco a good winger, it wasnt until he went to Arsenal and Wenger played him thro the middle as a striker that we seen the player he would become, the rest is history.

Not saying that Borini is Henry in the making but did anybody see Henry becoming the legend he became, when he was first signed?

Ian Wright was another one, how old was he when he signed for Arsenal?

Give Borini some credit, he spent most of his time in the reserves at Chelsea, spent a bit of time at Swansea in the championship, got his free transfer to Italy, scored some goals and made his way into the Italian Euro 2012 squad.

thats more or less a recap of everything useful he did for us, he did miss a bunch of similar chances to, but by our standards, he was reasonably clinical, and that was about it

3 mins 7 secs of footage? You serious? Joe Allen's video against Man City was longer than that. Beware youtube videos at all costs.

And i thought i was a " glass is half empty " guy. :(

3 mins 7 secs of footage? You serious? Joe Allen's video against Man City was longer than that. Beware youtube videos at all costs.

And i thought i was a " glass is half empty " guy. :(

im not really sure if there's much else to show, those 3min's are all the goals he scored, and that part pretty much shows what he does well, the movement off the ball, ability show up at the right place at the right time, the ability to run, the ability to finish,....well you get the picture, additionaly he works pretty hard in the pressing game (which is good when you want to play the style of footy Brendan wants you to play)

Archived