The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't realise that it isn't Carrick/Scholes/Giggs in front of them - actually got people who will run back and get the ball! Quite liking this formation - just needs the strikers to pull out wider to free some room.

Worried about the counter I reckon.

Don't know where Evra was on the goal. Nowhere near his man but in no position to cut out the cross. Beyond that we've done ok, but we need more movement and a higher tempo around the box. Think Cleverley has been great, seems to be everywhere and involved in all our best work. Ando not quite as good tonight, but Fletcher looks back into his stride. Would think Welbeck would offer far more than Hernandez in this system.

I've been really impressed with our overall game, considering we're playing a new system. Few problems, fullbacks could get forward more, finishing poor (hello RvP) and some ******** defending. This we'll whack Nani on at about 65-70 minutes and stretch them when they're tired. Nice to see us camped in their half though, so much better for winning the ball back as our starting position is actually decent. Could and should be 3 up, hopefully as they tire Rooney will be able to influence more.

Need a winger on. It's all well & good wanting Rafael to get forward more but he's having to cover for Ferdinands lack of pace. Ferdinand has been a couple of yards deeper then the other defenders all half. Seems the Spurs game has had an effect on him.

This Rooney-RVP partnership seems a bit crap :D

Still laugh at the people who said Rooney would struggle to get back into the team after his injury.

TBF his body language is much better. A fit, interested Rooney is a cracking player.

Our wingers cannot cross a ball. Seems to run down the wing pull it back to the full back who knocks it inside to the midfielder

The amount of time we have had half ass crosses and no one to win the headers. Even Valencia drilled in crosses don't doesn't always beat the first man.

This Rooney-RVP partnership seems a bit crap :D

Still laugh at the people who said Rooney would struggle to get back into the team after his injury.

He looked unfit and pretty ****. That he has come back in a completely different way than he started the season doesn't detract from the original thinking when he got injured

Think this formation would work away from home as well (duh!) In the league when being pressed I mean.... - good possession and more space up front on the counter. Be good to see it at the weekend with a similar team...cue Giggs in CM.

Not really meaningful in a game like this where the opposition just sits back but:

Cleverley:

Total Passes 108

% of Passes Long 7%

Passing Accuracy 93%

Fletcher

Total Passes 131

% of Passes Long 18%

Passing Accuracy 92%

Rafael

Total Passes

% of Passes Long 2%

Passing Accuracy 98%

Not too bad on the eye those stats!

I like this new system. It doesn't lack width at all imo as people can provide it with just a bit of movement. With the players we have it will get goals eventually, they just need time to get used to it.

Most importantly I think it is a much sounder tactic defensively than the 4-4-2 against good teams.

Yeah, I'd've expected Anderson and Cleverley to be on opposite sides as both have experience playing in wider areas. Again, with Welbeck alongside RvP there should be even more width, though maybe Fergie is concerned that we'd lose a focal point.

Our wingers cannot cross a ball. Seems to run down the wing pull it back to the full back who knocks it inside to the midfielder

The amount of time we have had half ass crosses and no one to win the headers. Even Valencia drilled in crosses don't doesn't always beat the first man.

Think that's a touch harsh, but there is a concern that we're not overly strong in the air up front, so getting balls in from wide areas at deep, strong, tall defenders doesn't often reap rewards.

Hernandez so stupid, not even close to being onside, saying that Rooney shouldn't have give it to him.

Bit harsh that :D Hernandez made his run and Rooney opted not to use him or waited too long. Hernandez was waiting for the move to progress before making another run.

Not really meaningful in a game like this where the opposition just sits back but:

Cleverley:

Total Passes 108

% of Passes Long 7%

Passing Accuracy 93%

Fletcher

Total Passes 131

% of Passes Long 18%

Passing Accuracy 92%

Rafael

Total Passes

% of Passes Long 2%

Passing Accuracy 98%

Not too bad on the eye those stats!

To add to those, Rafael - 10221m covered; Cleverley 11335m; Fletcher 10932m. Fletch also completed 100% of his 23 long balls.

3 points will do but **** that was boring. They had everyone defending in the box and we had no width. Was only ever going to be rubbish to watch.

Standard fare for the CL Group Stages then?

Another promising enough showing tonight. Fine goal for the winner, nice to see an understanding building between Rooney and van Persie and another promising midfield showing from Fletcher and particularly Cleverley, if Anderson was a little quieter. Just need to sort that defence out, starting by keeping Big Save Dave in the position he deserves.

A win's a win, but another average at best performance.

As Andrew above me says, we look terrible at defending crosses/corners and I fully expect the opponents to win the ball every time.

And if offsides were hot dinners Hernandez could end famine all on his own.

Bit harsh that :D Hernandez made his run and Rooney opted not to use him or waited too long. Hernandez was waiting for the move to progress before making another run.

He didn't even bother to get back on the shoulder though, stood in no mans land 5m offside for a good 3 seconds, genuinely must have forgotten what he was doing for a second.

He didn't even bother to get back on the shoulder though, stood in no mans land 5m offside for a good 3 seconds, genuinely must have forgotten what he was doing for a second.

Looked to me as though he was expecting the (obvious) pass wide to Rafa which would have left him in behind the defence but onside for a square cross or pullback.

Archived