The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

I don't like Lindegaard playing. I don't know what it is but there's just something about him which doesn't instil any confidence in me. DdG has his flaws but the only way they are going to get ironed out is if he plays & learns from his mistakes. Lindegaard has done nothing since joining the club to make me think he's anything other than average back up material. People will point to his run of clean sheets in his first run in the side but at the time I pointed out it was against weak teams who had very few shots & he had very little to do in those games. Last season we struggled early on when Ferguson rotated the GK position & look what's happening again this season. Rotating the goalie & we're shipping goals. The third goal yesterday was mainly Ferdinands fault for letting Defoe turn back inside but the parry from the Bale shot should've gone anywhere but straight out to the edge of the area.

It's not simply a case of keeper rotation though. Obviously the back four isn't settled & hasn't been for a while now. This makes us more shaky than normal which is why the keeper needs to stay the same to give at least some semblance of stability. The defence is just as big an issue as midfield in my eyes. We've got Evra/Rio who are past their peaks. Vidic is an unknown now with his 8 month injury followed by this two months out after another operation. He's at an age where he's going to start declining soon too. Then you've got Evans who is basically the most reliable CB we have at the moment yet is still quite young & relatively inexperienced. Then there's obviously Smalling/Jones/Rafael who are all young & learning. We don't have a defender who can be relied on twice a week who is nearing or at the peak of their game. Evans did well enough last season but it was a sink or swim experience for him & luckily bar the odd game he didn't let himself down.

Doesn't help that the main screen for our defence has been out for 10 months with illness & also cannot be relied on to stay fit/healthy. Fletcher gives cover & we've been missing it which also leads to leaking goals.

So it's a combination of reasons more than it being a simple 'player x/y/z' isn't good enough. But Ferguson isn't helping matters by constantly messing about with the team.

Oh yeah, Giggs shouldn't be starting any game where the result matters anymore. He doesn't have the strength or legs to justify his inclusion.

All of this, every single bit. SAF needs to decide his best team and stick with it - too many players not settled. Easy to rotate giggs and scholes but cleverley/anderson/rafael need game time as have never been consistent first choice and Kagawa/RVP are new. I'd like to see a team and system settled and playing with minor rotation for injuries etc.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the Lindegaard stuff is just ridiculous. He's decent, which is exactly what you want from your #2 Not a patch on DdG though. And I think Carrick will offer much more from a screening perspective when he's got an Anderson or a Cleverley (or possible, hopefully, a Fletcher) alongside him to press the ball more.

What worries me is that Ferguson says he understands the trouble we've had with keepers & he won't be making the same mistakes which is why we spent so long making sure we got the right player (De Gea).

He then goes & does the opposite & keeps making the same mistakes he says the club has learnt from. I don't think he trusts DdG & sees Lindegaard as #1 which scares me.

What worries me is that Ferguson says he understands the trouble we've had with keepers & he won't be making the same mistakes which is why we spent so long making sure we got the right player (De Gea).

He then goes & does the opposite & keeps making the same mistakes he says the club has learnt from. I don't think he trusts DdG & sees Lindegaard as #1 which scares me.

Why's that scary? You think he's going to ship out De Gea? Or he could just be playing Lindegaard in the league and De Gea in the cups because he sees the former as being better suited to the English game and less likely to make a mistake though he'll not make the world class saves either?

i think the problems for the goals were caused by sloppy play while our left and right backs are forward, thats the issue, for one of the goals nani made a sloppy pass in the middle, Rafael was near their box when the possession was lost, is it his fault? Nanis for making the pass? i dunno, but why was Rafeal there, and not running up tihe wings as he would with Valencia playing? for linkup play.

it could be how Nani prefers to play that was an issue here as he prefers to cut in and shoot whereas valencia likes to hug the line and cross.

Need to sort it, can't keep being sloppy, we cant have left and right backs wandering around outside thier area.

we need a couple of new players as well. Fellaini and a defender, Ferdinand has no pace Vidic has a dodgey knee.

On the Lindegaard issue, I think he's still included mainly because he's better at english. I think the coaches are well aware that DDG is a better keeper, but with an unsettled defense they just might be picking the keeper who'll be better at communicating

Do you think they need to communicate in Shakespearian English? If De Gea is having any troubles communicating after all this time here then I'll be amazed. Anyone who's played in goal knows that the vocabulary needed is not exactly extensive, at least not to the point of needing more than 14-15 months (or how long it's been) to get a firm grasp of it :D

12 million for Nani :D Let's accept that and then get Messi or Ronaldo for 25, yeah?

12M for Nani?. Nani values at least the double, he is one of the best wingers in the world, but recently he's not performing well.

Against Tottenham, Nani shows that he seems to be back to good form.

No Carrick, Giggs or Scholes in the squad for Cluj. Lingard, Tunnicliffe, Wootton and Michael Keane have travelled though

Our starting midfield for the next league game is pretty much nailed down then. :D

My hope is he did not want to drag the old fellas across Europe.

if we are going to cash in on nani then we would need a replacement

12m for a championship winger is a gamble, especially when there is Tom Ince :p

and I agree, 12m for Nani is plain rediculous when he valued at 25m. if we need to cash in, cash in, see how much Tom Ince is, then spend the rest of Fellaini

Yes, let's replace a top class winger that impresses in international tournaments in one of the best teams in the world with a complete unknown. A splendid idea...

Carrick didn't train today either, which worries me. If he is injured.... :eek: Think there is a presser about now, so hopefully that worry will be put to rest by SAF.

Nasty scar Rooney has

inni_sak_wayne_rooney_paa_trening.jpg

I hope he stays beyond this season. He's a top-top player and can change a game on his own. Okay, so he isn't in great form right now, but is on the right path with two good matches behind him. You just know he'll set alight whatever league he goes to. Don't want to see him destroying teams for anybody else.

If he goes, anything less than 30m is highway robbery.

People criticise Nani's consistency & then suggest Young & Valencia are adequate? :D Christ. Young is worse than Nani when he's having a bad game. Valencia is a limited & non-flexible player.

Selling Nani for any price would be suicide for any title bid. No way he can be replaced like for like. however if we are going to sell him then £30m should be the minimum. He's a top player.

I remember (I think it was Graham Taylor) talking about Young's weaknesses. That aside from cutting in to score goals his great trick at Villa was the cross with the outside of his foot so he could keep the team's width. Except he was so good at it that if you put him on the right you really saw how average the rest of his game is.

Now I don't fully agree but it's certainly obvious that Young is a squad winger only right now. Valencia is that traditional speedster/cross at the byline who can destroy teams but leave us with 10-men if it doesn't work. As much as I like his ability to track back over Nani, Nani is by far the more talented, versatile and dangerous of the three wingers the club has. Selling him without bringing in a major replacement will be wing-suicide.

So The Game podcast...

"These two guys are at best good players. At best 7/10 players, they're not Manchester United players. Carrick is a decent passer and he can't do anything else, Fletcher can set the tempo when he's at his best and he can't do anything else."

I agree with you about the marks. I think Fletcher would have become a 7-9 type player if this sickness hadn't hit him but it's still sad that a journalist can get away with sweeping statements like that for any player(s).

Well done by King to get to a good chance in the U21 game, but as so often before he just can't finish properly. He needs serious work in that department, or his future lies on the wing. Probably not for us, but he has enough quality to make it as a footballer somewhere.

Like the look of Petrucci and Cole. Cole hasn't really done all that much, but he has a good pass and move game, and excellent technique and a good football brain. If he keeps developing well over the next 3 years he has a chance. We actually have quite a few midfield players now, numbers isn't really the issue, but I hope Petrucci starts making the bench soon. Either that, or he needs a good loan deal in January.

0-0 so far btw, with next to no goal chances. King's was the only real chance.

The marks if you look over their time at United are pretty fair, the comments are rubbish though.

Don't buy that for Fletcher, not unless you are going to count his developmental years against him. When he matured he's a solid 8 at least. If he'd been fit last season we'd have number 20 without a shadow of a doubt

Well done by King to get to a good chance in the U21 game, but as so often before he just can't finish properly. He needs serious work in that department, or his future lies on the wing. Probably not for us, but he has enough quality to make it as a footballer somewhere.

Like the look of Petrucci and Cole. Cole hasn't really done all that much, but he has a good pass and move game, and excellent technique and a good football brain. If he keeps developing well over the next 3 years he has a chance. We actually have quite a few midfield players now, numbers isn't really the issue, but I hope Petrucci starts making the bench soon. Either that, or he needs a good loan deal in January.

0-0 so far btw, with next to no goal chances. King's was the only real chance.

Really not sure what type of player Cole's going to turn out to be.

Nice to see Fergie was talking out of his arse with the CL :D Looks like he might go with the narrow/wingback formation as against Newcastle judging by the travelling squad; maybe Welbeck or Cleverley on the wing. Fergie saying that while Carrick an Giggs were laid low with the virus, Scholes hasn't travelled as he can't be expected to play three games a week, so that's him in on Sunday. If Carrick's out it would at least make sense for Cleverley to start alongside him, but on recent form SAF will probably stick a half-fit Giggs in there. Be nice for some of the youngsters to have another run out, but it seems nailed on for a below-par 1-1 or 2-2.

Surprised there wasn't any comment on our latest defensive recruit...

o-SILVESTRE-570.jpg?6

Archived