Sports Interactive Community
ddidiodion

The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

Its a hard balance to create definitely in terms of youth and experience. From your lineup I would have Johnstone in goal and Nani and Cleverley out for maybe Lingard and Powell. With Tunners, King, Henriquez, Wootton and Petrucci all on the bench.

Big fan of Johnstone but a bit of a baptism of fire to throw him in against Newcastle. Can Powell play out wide? Or would you have Welbeck wide with Powell off Hernandez? Either way I'd like for us to use Powell as a CM where possible; had him replacing Fletcher around the hour mark. Reckon we need a Cleverley or Anderson in alongside him from the start in case they need to do some of his running.

If Lingard plays out wide he'll be isolated, bullied and everyone will be calling him ****, same as with every other young player we give a run out wide to begin with. Has Henriquez played for the U21s yet? Thought we were taking our time to bed him in somewhat before considering him for the first team. Wootton is bang average.

I'd like to see Fletch and Tunnicliffe in midfield (if Fletcher is ready that is) with Powell playing right up next to Macheda with freedom to roam. Anderson may need the game time more, in which case it will have to be Anderson and Cleverley as I don't trust either to look after Tunnicliffe positionally, if it is Cleverley and Anderson then I'd rather Petrucci get a game ahead of Powell as I think as he'd help out more in midfield. Maybe Welbeck on the left to get some game time? At the back I wouldn't risk Ferdinand or Vidic (unless Vidic needs the games), Evans next to Wootton probably with Buttner and Keane either side.

Something like this?

De Gea

Keane Evans Wootton Buttner

Fletcher Tunners

Lingard   Powell   Welbeck

Macheda

or this?

De Gea

Keane Evans Wootton Buttner

Anderson Cleverley

Lingard   Petrucci   Welbeck

Macheda

Looking at the second one I could see Macheda becoming isolated which will be difficult, even though it's a stronger midfield.

Love to be proven wrong but I reckon that team gets knocked out :D 5 debuts and a lot of pressure on Evans as the senior centre half, a half-fit (at best) Fletcher and Welbeck.

I think we're getting knocked out unless we put a first team out tbh, even then it's doubtful, Newcastle will play their first team. Only way I see us getting a result is with Ferdinand, Carrick and RvP starting, none of which I'd be happy to risk in a league cup game.

Not so sure Newcastle will be that strong, reckon it will be closer to their Europa team, which reads pretty much like a straight up second string. So I think we should do similar, with some leeway on our injury-hit defence.

Love to be proven wrong but I reckon that team gets knocked out :D 5 debuts and a lot of pressure on Evans as the senior centre half, a half-fit (at best) Fletcher and Welbeck.
I think we're getting knocked out unless we put a first team out tbh, even then it's doubtful, Newcastle will play their first team. Only way I see us getting a result is with Ferdinand, Carrick and RvP starting, none of which I'd be happy to risk in a league cup game.

Agree with this, even if Newcastle come with a 2nd string, SAF will play a wonky formation and try to shoehorn as many people that need games into the 11 as possible.

It will be unbalanced and get ripped apart.

The only way I see any shoehorning going on is if you do what I suggest and rest the wingers. Otherwise everybody fits straight into a position. I don't see a Park-Rafael midfield type combo this time.

Baring in mind we have Spurs saturday and it is a meaningless cup in all fairness I think you put trust in people and go out and let them do their best without fear of losing.

Nani only playing 45 mins today sorts the wingers. Give him a run against a second choice LB. Cleverley on the left and you can always stick Giggs, Welbeck or Kagawa out there against Spurs.

Agree with this, even if Newcastle come with a 2nd string, SAF will play a wonky formation and try to shoehorn as many people that need games into the 11 as possible.

It will be unbalanced and get ripped apart.

That's always what we do in the Cups though isn't it?

Hope we play Welbeck and Hernandez upfront, they both need games.

iKmCkJRFs2ec4.gif

Shamelessly stolen from the match thread. Can we have this in the OP?

GIF should slow down on the smile imo.

Someone find/make one that does and I'll stick it in the OP.

Saw it over there as well. Quite amusing. Seems like the ramblings of the Mad King has spread throughout the club if Shelvey really thinks SAF got him sent off.

The longer they blame others and not themselves, the worse they will do, so I'm quite pleased by the whole thing.

Having said that, we played poor and were lucky to win. Once again our incredible efficiency this season got us the points. It's great we have managed to overturn 3 games where we came behind to wins, something we didn't do a single time last season I think, but I'd prefer us to wake up at kickoff and not when SAF has his say at half-time.

Did RVP press from the front in Arsenal btw? That's one change that was made at half-time, that RVP started pushing their defenders a bit harder. Think that's what lead to the Valencia breakaway for the penner actually.

I hope someone told Valencia that he is bloody lucky with that penalty. He had some good chances to cross/pass the ball, flapped about with the ball and then almost ran it out of play before he got knocked over.

I didn't want to be the first to mention that. It's the exact same thing that Nani gets torn apart for. Valencia gets away with it.

My first thought watching it was "You idiot! That was a perfect...lucky, very lucky." It was a horrendous piece of decision making.

I always have this image of Valencia being a little, nippy winger but he's bloody huge, isn't he. I swear he looks smaller than he is on the pitch. It's only when lining up at corners I notice he's a fully grown bloke!

He's a Giant, looks built like a Terminator as well.

Had the same thought when I saw it live. Somebody, forget who, was totally free to the left. Admittedly there were some defenders in between who may have cut out the pass, but it looked like a wasted chance when he went on his own. It also looked like a nailed on penner watching it live, and although we now know it was cheap, I can certainly understand why it was given.

Nani often does his stop and wait trick to get the defender to do something so he can nip past him, which I think many hate him for. When it works it looks great and he often storms towards goal with option to either shoot or pass/cross, but when the defender just holds his ground he ends up wasting time and possibly a chance instead. That, plus he is so bloody good so when he doesn't have the defenders in his pocket maybe people think he isn't doing his best. Whatever it is, it's odd how he keeps getting criticised so heavily almost no matter what he does. Or maybe people are still subcontiously comparing him with Ronaldo.

Hope he signs the new contract soon. It's a player I don't want to lose.

Valencia is a beast when he is given time and space and does a lot defensively, but unlike Nani, he can't find his way through tight space. Very good player though, and was deservedly voted our best last season. I was kind of hoping Carrick would get it, but can't have any complaints about Valencia raking in the awards.

One thing I've noticed in the last few games is that the team seems a little out of sorts with itself. Like you said about Nani's stop-and-wait trick, right now it'll probably result in the defenders standing there or any flicks/quick passes aren't getting to their target or the first touches are too heavy. I think once people are into a rhythm then the performances are going to improve and we'll see things paying off more than they are right now.

On an entirely random note, I still can't believe Quaresma was supposed to be the more talented out of him and Ronaldo. If there is ever a story of hard work prevailing when it comes to teaching the youngsters, it's the way those two have had totally different careers.

what's that heart warming story about ronaldo going back and buying someone a house or summat cos they gave him a chance when he was younger and they had to give up on being a footballer due to injury. or whatever.

There was this guy who gave him a chance in football, then had to retire from football due to injury so Ronaldo bought him a house (or something like that) to repay the favour.

I hope someone told Valencia that he is bloody lucky with that penalty. He had some good chances to cross/pass the ball, flapped about with the ball and then almost ran it out of play before he got knocked over.
I didn't want to be the first to mention that. It's the exact same thing that Nani gets torn apart for. Valencia gets away with it.
My first thought watching it was "You idiot! That was a perfect...lucky, very lucky." It was a horrendous piece of decision making.

I had the same reaction while watching it. Posted it in the match thread, iirc.

Interesting how the Game podcast has a random tangent on complaining about Giggs being purely left footed...sheesh.

That looks like the work of Olly, as he did something along the same vein with the signing picture of RVP and SAF.

Is it the same knee? Not uncommon to get more injuries after such a serious one, but I had hoped it wouldn't be as bad as this. Back down to 2 DCs now, with a ton of important matches coming up :(

Phil Jones is out for a long time yet, but I think Smalling should be back by at least mid-October. physioroom says 7th, so hope that isn't too far off.

Hope Rio isn't picked for England again. At this rate, we'll need him as much as we did last season.

Yet again the injuries pile up. Rio will be told not to play for England, not that he will want to after everything that's gone on. Thought Evans might get another run out tomorrow but he definately won't now.

Yeah, will have to be Vermijl, Keane, Wootton/Thorpe and Buttner at the back now.

How old is Evans, he seems to have been a up and coming cb for a while, don't rate him too much, not a title winning defender in my eyes, he seems destined for everton one day in my eyes.

Rios not what he was, still a great defender mind,

I do think you may be missing something in defence, although your attack should have more than enough to brush away anyone but the top 4/6 really. Interesting season.

Day after the game I heard these rumours that Vidic's 'resting' the other day was utter rubbish and that he was having knee problems again. Looks like that was the case

How old is Evans, he seems to have been a up and coming cb for a while, don't rate him too much, not a title winning defender in my eyes, he seems destined for everton one day in my eyes.

Rios not what he was, still a great defender mind,

I do think you may be missing something in defence, although your attack should have more than enough to brush away anyone but the top 4/6 really. Interesting season.

He's 24, only a bit older than Rio was when he joined us.

I'll go ahead and guess that he didn't have a protective boot on for fun :(

Did you see that tackle by Glen Johnson? Tony is lucky to be alive and the penalty was scant consolation for his near fatal injuries. :p

When is Young fit again?

Well... His simulated doctor hasn't been forthcoming with the simulated media about the simulated length of the simulated injury he received during his simulation...

Did you see that tackle by Glen Johnson? Tony is lucky to be alive and the penalty was scant consolation for his near fatal injuries. :p

True enough, if Johnson was a bit whiter I would have expected to see him charged with a hate crime tbf

De Gea, Vermijl, M Keane, Wootton, Buttner, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Rooney, Welbeck, Chicharito

Nice lineup for tonight. Real chance for the defenders to impress. They all deserve a chance based on form.

subs: Johnstone, Evans, Powell, Tunnicliffe, King, Lingard, Brady

Also glad to see everyone I hoped would be involved is.

Would prefer to play more of the young players who play further up the pitch but as we are quite top heavy in the squad then there's not much that can be done really. Very inexperienced back line, just lucky they have ameobi upfront rather than ba or cisse!