The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Will be good to see him on the right now with Valencia out. He's good on the left too, but not as dangerous as from the right.

Just read an article by Andy Mitten. Apparently United found and inquired about now-Chelsea's Oscar when he was 15 years old.

Guess SAF later found out he was a midfielder :D:brock:

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nani tracks back as much as any winger we have. I don't understand why people have this negative perception of him as some kind of lazy show pony.

He is the best wide player we have and should we end up selling him the idiots who wanted it will be in for a shock when we're stuck with the average Young & an off form Valencia.

I saw a stat on SSN a few weeks ago & he has more assists than anyone in the last two & a half years in the league. Think he Has also created the 2nd or 3rd highest number of chances too. He's undervalued by so many United fans.

You won't find anyone who defends Nani more than I do in this thread but that simply isn't true. Valencia might not be as good as Nani going forward but he is much better at covering fullbacks than Nani. That isn't just an effort thing, he's a better defender than Nani. Young I don't particularly care about, some days he puts in a great covering job, some days he doesn't, he isn't as good as Nani and he's injured. If you want to put Nani in place of Kagawa in that lineup then I would find it hard to object, on current form neither really demand a place over the other. However, playing Nani out wide on the basis he'd offer more protection to the fullbacks than a 3 man midfield? Not for me sorry, especially when we only have one fit winger anyway and he's not in any sort of form at all.

You won't find anyone who defends Nani more than I do in this thread but that simply isn't true. Valencia might not be as good as Nani going forward but he is much better at covering fullbacks than Nani. That isn't just an effort thing, he's a better defender than Nani. Young I don't particularly care about, some days he puts in a great covering job, some days he doesn't, he isn't as good as Nani and he's injured. If you want to put Nani in place of Kagawa in that lineup then I would find it hard to object, on current form neither really demand a place over the other. However, playing Nani out wide on the basis he'd offer more protection to the fullbacks than a 3 man midfield? Not for me sorry, especially when we only have one fit winger anyway and he's not in any sort of form at all.

Completely agree. I've been really impressed with Valencia's work on tracking back since the second Barcelona final, it's obvious he has made a concious decision to do this more often/improve it whereas I just don't see that as being part of Nani's game.

But then I don't really see how players like Nani/Ronaldo can backtrack the way more conventional wingers do. It's common acceptance that if a team is struggling defensively then the wingers are the first area that are causing danger to the team but more attacking/inside forward type players need to stay higher in order to get the goal chances.

Completely agree. I've been really impressed with Valencia's work on tracking back since the second Barcelona final, it's obvious he has made a concious decision to do this more often/improve it whereas I just don't see that as being part of Nani's game.

But then I don't really see how players like Nani/Ronaldo can backtrack the way more conventional wingers do. It's common acceptance that if a team is struggling defensively then the wingers are the first area that are causing danger to the team but more attacking/inside forward type players need to stay higher in order to get the goal chances.

All he said is that Nani tracks back as much as our other wingers which is mostly true. There was no mention of how good at defending he was.

All he said is that Nani tracks back as much as our other wingers which is mostly true. There was no mention of how good at defending he was.

It's implied when the whole topic is playing Nani out wide to protect the fullbacks from Spurs' threat out wide. All this besides, he doesn't track back as much as Valencia.

Yeah, this is the point that dion manages to state and then completely miss :D Nani works as hard as anyone tracking back, but isn't as good at tackling, marking or cutting off passing angles as Valencia (who in turn isn't as good as he's made out to be, as evidenced by his ultimately unsuccessful spells at RB). Which to be fair aren't among the first things you look for in a skillful winger. Still wonder if he would get half the grief he does if he was French or something.

It's implied when the whole topic is playing Nani out wide to protect the fullbacks from Spurs' threat out wide. All this besides, he doesn't track back as much as Valencia.

No need for anything to be implied when you stated 'no-one tracks back apart from Valencia'. It's furthering an all-too-popular myth.

I don't understand how at age 20 soon to be 21 they have decided to give him 3 more years knowing he could go elsewhere for first team action and yet they just park him right where he was last season. Surely at his age he needs more? Even if thats just a championship loan.

I presume that developmentally they're still looking at him as 18 - 24 months off where he 'should' be at his age due to all his injury problems. That and considering how few loans we've made this season, that we might be waiting to see how beneficial the U21 league is.

Yeah, this is the point that dion manages to state and then completely miss :D Nani works as hard as anyone tracking back, but isn't as good at tackling, marking or cutting off passing angles as Valencia (who in turn isn't as good as he's made out to be, as evidenced by his ultimately unsuccessful spells at RB). Which to be fair aren't among the first things you look for in a skillful winger. Still wonder if he would get half the grief he does if he was French or something.

Nani doesn't work as hard as Valencia tracking back, I don't agree with that at all, I said Valencia was better at both those things. Valencia is good at covering as a winger, being a covering winger and being a rightback are two completely different roles. Him being weaker at the latter isn't evidence to him being overrated at the former when they comprise of two considerably different skill sets. Why would being French help him?

No need for anything to be implied when you stated 'no-one tracks back apart from Valencia'. It's furthering an all-too-popular myth.

I should probably have put "effectively" in there, Valencia being the only winger at the club now Park has gone who I'd value to put in a defensive shift anything above what is expected of a winger.

Nani doesn't work as hard as Valencia tracking back, I don't agree with that at all, I said Valencia was better at both those things. Valencia is good at covering as a winger, being a covering winger and being a rightback are two completely different roles. Him being weaker at the latter isn't evidence to him being overrated at the former when they comprise of two considerably different skill sets. Why would being French help him?

No idea why you think Valencia works harder that Nani. Sticks to his marker closer maybe, but Nani puts in just as many yards. Valencia also just as likely to have a concentration lapse that sees him caught out as Nani is to gamble and stay up the pitch in the hope of a counter.

If Nani was French then maybe it would be easier for people to not associate him with Ronaldo's qualities (egotistical, cheating, lazy). Given that tall, direct stepover merchant Gabriel Obertan was lauded in some quarters on -his debut despite doing nothing of note aside from dribbling the ball out of play, it seems that a nationality change would do the job. Louis Nannierre?

I should probably have put "effectively" in there, Valencia being the only winger at the club now Park has gone who I'd value to put in a defensive shift anything above what is expected of a winger.

Yeah, I mean the point's completely valid. Just a bit rich to say that people are missing the point when you've said he doesn't track back :D

Only saw the last twenty minutes or so but Henriquez looks a good player, impressed by what I saw but it was only twenty minutes worth. King was unlucky earlier on but nice assist from him to set up the goal, thought Tunnicliffe played well, and Johnstone looked very solid!

Sounds like Fergie has been talking up the Rooney/RvP partnership. Could be a hint or a swerve. Really don't know what team I'd expect/like today. Carrick plus at least one of Anderson and Cleverley in the middle. Was rather intrigued with the wing-back system we played in the week, would rather Jones as the CB/DM though.

I had a dream last night Bale scored a last minute headed winner and icelander and icon came and pained something abusive in icelandic on my front door :(

(I don't know icelandic so I'm pretty sure I replaced it with sindarin)

Sorry lads.

If he lost his marker (who happened to be Kagawa) to do it, then i would definitely be out there with my paint brush. :(

I'm getting increasingly worried about Nani's future with all the rumours, and now the alleged punch at Petrucci. People who saw the reserve game claimed he had a bit of a colouring as well, so it may turn out to be true. Will be very interesting to see the lineup and whether he's to be found or not.

:(

Also, this forum sucks asshair. Has posts been deleted and that has thrown the counter off trail or something? It's annoying to see a last page that never works.

Ah, I guess you have noticed too :D I think it's the software or something. Noticed something the other day but oddly only in this thread. I assumed it was because the next post would top the next page although that never seems to have happened in the past but that's not how it's working either

How odd, this is page 44 and it shows there's a page 45 ... you click on it and it takes you back to the top of page 44 ... not even final post of the page. Anyone else see that?

Been like that for atleast a week for me. Happens on different threads too

Lindegaard; Rafael, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra; Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs; Kagawa, van Persie. Subs: De Gea, Wootton, Anderson, Cleverley, Hernandez, Rooney, Welbeck.

Sig on the bench for Spurs :(

Not keen on the legs on the left again. Lennon and Walker to have a field day.

Archived